A
TOC issue of Time Magazine May 17Th
"To connect with today's audiences, the Man of Steel has to reveal his angst"
Article on Page 70
"The Problem With Superman"

Check it out guys!

I think DC should hire Wendy!

TEEEEEEJ

PS I just found this mag in our company bathroom so if this article's already been mentioned here please ignore.

Top Banana
Top Banana
OK, I found the link to the article on Time.com, but you have to be a subscriber to read the entire thing.

Any FoLC out there a subscriber to Time.com who would like to cut and paste and share with us all? Looks quite interesting!!

Perhaps it's time the FoLCs took over the comics <g>.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Any FoLC out there a subscriber to Time.com who would like to cut and paste and share with us all?
Well, turns out Time.com doesn't let its International subscribers log in. smile1

Methos: "I'm easily amused."

(Indiscretions - Highlander: The Series)
Top Banana
Top Banana
{{{{{{{{{El!!}}}}}}}}

Thanks, El!!! I love to read this stuff.

And I do think it's clear that these comic book writers and artists need to pull up a chair and start in on the 2,300 plus stories on the archive. If they don't get some ideas on how to angstify Supes then they are all daft.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks El!! smile1

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Trust me, as a person who has been reading Superman comics for about forty years, they ain't being written for the average folc.

I will say one thing for the new creative teams. The artwork has gotten a lot better, and the stories do have some interesting ideas (not all of which I'm too thrilled about), but in general, if you like relationships and such, it ain't going to be there.

First, and foremost these are "SUPERMAN" books. Clark Kent is little more than a novel plot point. His main function right now is to brood over the fact that he got demoted to the police beat. A subplot that I'm not too happy with because there was never any logical explanation for it.

Also, most comic book writers don't have a clue as to how to write an adult relationship (or they think their main audience, young males, don't care about them), there isn't a lot of Lois and Clark action. As mentioned in the article, one of the books has eliminated Lois completely by having her be one of the million people who have mysteriously vanished. And since Superman isn't currently on the trail of what happened, she will be conveninently gone for as long as the writer wants her to be.

In another of the titles, Lois has been 'promoted' to foreign correspondent and has been sent to the war-ravaged middle east. We get to see some Lois 'action' but it's without Clark, or Superman.

If you are a long time comic book geek you'll probably be able to enjoy some of what is going on, but if you are mostly a L&C die-hard romantic, the comics aren't for you.

Tank (who has to live in two different worlds of Superman)

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard