Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#144202 05/25/04 03:07 AM
Nan Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
In TOGOM, Superman asks Jimmy to page Lois and keep paging her for him, then uses the pager sound to locate her.

My question is this, to anyone who had a pager at about that time. Currently, if you page someone, the pager periodically pages the person until it is shut off. Did they work that way in 1994 or did you have to page repeatedly? I used the example quoted above as a model in THTT but the question has come up since and I'd like to be as accurate as possible.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
#144203 05/25/04 03:24 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, just speaking for myself, I used to have to page my mom repeatedly. I distinctly remember paging my mom one time, and she left her pager at home without me knowing it. It started vibrating on the counter, freaking me out of course...anyway the point of my rambling is, it only vibrated for one round.

Now that I think about it, my dad's went off, then just a flicker of a beep went off every now and then as a reminder...

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#144204 05/25/04 10:30 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think the fact that they wrote that into the script is an indication of what the writers thought was the norm at the time.

Of course, different model pagers work differently. Most will go off once and then periodically beep to remind you that you've been paged. That's how my dad's pager works. Different systems work differently, too. Maybe there were a few systems at the time which repeatedly paged.

I think the norm was to be paged once, and then to trust the beeper to do the rest. I've never had to do it any other way, though (and neither has Dad's answering service), so I can't say for sure.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#144205 05/25/04 03:51 PM
K
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
Boards Chief Administrator
Pulitzer
K
Nan-

As Paul said
Most will go off once and then periodically beep to remind you that you've been paged.
That's how my pager worked when I had one in high school around that time (from 94-98). So, if you're using the pager for locating purposes, I would follow the show's example.

Sara

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.

#144206 05/28/04 11:31 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
My ex had two different ones about that time period. One beeped once, whether responded to or not; the other beeped, and then every five minutes, unless you had pushed the button to stop it, would beep again.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard