Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#144163 05/23/04 02:42 AM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
I would pick up a book on fanfiction in a heartbeat, provided it wasn't an entirely negative view.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#144164 05/23/04 03:31 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Speaking of books and fanfiction. I have a couple of friends who are 'into' the "Destroyer" series of pulp type adventure novels.

Apparently the author (or someone behind those books) has been soliciting fanfiction shorts stories based on the series for the last couple of years and plans to pick out several of the best ones and publish them in an anthology compilation.

He thinks that fanfiction is a wonderful form of flattery and this is his way of saying thanks and exposing some 'more' good stories to the fandom.

I'm not real familiar with the details since it's a fandom I'm not into, and I've only heard about it in passing, but I thought it was kind of cool.

Tank (who thinks it's nice to find out that there are some people out there who don't think that fanfic writers are merely the evil stealers of someone else's hard earned efforts)

#144165 05/23/04 05:20 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yvonne, they put the link to the archive in the paper version too, but they put in about 7 others.

Sorry. goofy

Julie (again, will scan it asap)

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#144166 05/23/04 01:29 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A few years back, we discussed Henry Jenkins "Textual Poachers," which was an academic treatise on ... fanfiction. Unfortunately, the book was published before Lois & Clark, but he does use examples from Beauty & the Beast. If you're interested in a sympathetic view of fanfiction, you can find out more at Textual Poachers and other links .

It would be nice to see a more up-to-date discussion from Arpe, particularly since it looks like she thinks L&C should be included.

Sheila Harper
Hopeless fan of a timeless love story

http://www.sheilaharper.com/
#144167 05/23/04 03:07 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, I remember that book... I should have it around here somewhere, in fact. Haven't looked at it in years -- actually, I think I bought it about ten or twelve years ago, so it was pre-L&C. And, ironically enough, I bought it in Toronto laugh It was an interesting read, though a little on the dry side, prose-wise. Terrific cover art <g> And yeah, an update would be even more interesting smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#144168 05/24/04 01:46 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Looks like a promising book - wonder if we should tell Ms Arpe about it? Wouldn't want her to cover old ground if she's going to go ahead and write a book herself.

Oh, and CC? I seem to remember stating categorically that I would never, ever, even if hell froze over, write a sequel to Addicted. Where, or from whom, you got the idea that such a thing could be in the works is beyond me. wink

/me looks suspiciously at Lynn...

Yvonne

#144169 05/24/04 02:47 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Lynn who? Never heard of her.

Poor Yvonne, all the fame has gone and mixed up her head...

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
#144170 05/24/04 06:13 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Who me?!?!

I don't know nothing 'bout no Addicted sequel.

Honest!!

OK, well, maybe I might have mentioned it. But CC got me drunk. And she...uh...bribed me. And threatened to tear up my Tom Welling photo collection...She's brutal, I tell ya! A master at torture and interrogation!

<sigh> wink

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#144171 05/24/04 07:43 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Not to drag the thread back on topic, or anything wink but I thought I'd pass this along... I'd sent a completed questionnaire to Malene (the author of this article) and she sent me a note today, to give me the URL for the article. I wrote back, told her we all loved her, and thanks for not making us look like pathetic losers goofy She wrote back:

No one who is interested in reading and writing could ever be a loser (pathetic or otherwise) smile

Which I think is a really nice thing to say. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#144172 05/24/04 09:12 AM
G
gerry Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
G
I also sent an e-mail to Malene giving her the link to this thread. She replied and said:
I had a look and it was both really neat and quite surreal to see my work commented on. I've been somewhat overwhelmed by the positive response I've received over this article. It's always oddly surprising to discover that your work is actually read.
So, we're not the only ones who like to get feedback. goofy

gerry

#144173 05/24/04 10:46 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
She must have had lots of us sending her that link! Though, Gerry, if you haven't replied yet, you should remind her that the main characters in our fandom are journalists, so this has a special resonance for us for a couple of reasons. goofy

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#144174 05/24/04 02:47 PM
K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
K
A few years back, we discussed Henry Jenkins "Textual Poachers," which was an academic treatise on ... fanfiction.
I just read this book over the last Christmas break, and I thought a lot of it was brilliant. Actually, Jenkins is the house master at my dorm, but I've never had the nerve to go up to him and tell him I loved his book <g>. Maybe sometime soon I'll find the courage to ask him about the updated version.

In the meantime, if anyone is interested, his website is here.

Congrats on making us [more <g>] famous, guys!
Kaylle smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard