Next Thread
Print Thread
#143789 03/27/04 06:17 AM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Okay, I have two medical questions.

First, you know that thing they put on your arm and then pump up until it cuts off your circulation and then listen as they slowly (too slowly laugh ) release the pressure. What's it called? A blood pressure monitor? Or does it have some fancy name?

Second: Clark brings a woman to the doctor. The woman is suffering from pnemonea. The doctor puts her on antibiotics. Clark asks if she will live and the doctor says they will have to wait until they know if she responds to the antibiotics. Clark asks how long. The doctor says about twelve hours.

So my second question is: does that seem believable?

Thanks,

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#143790 03/27/04 06:30 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I think I know the answer to question 1. In my medical instrumentation class, we learned that it was called a Sphygmomanometer, but I think most people just call it a "blood pressure cuff".

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#143791 03/27/04 06:58 AM
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I'm not medically educated, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I know about bacterias and antibiotics, twelve hours seems a bit short to me. I would at least make it 24 hours. But that's just a feeling.

Ines smile

"It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." (Albus Dumbledore, CoS)
#143792 03/27/04 08:33 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Also, pneumonia isn't always life threatening. I had it a couple of years ago and didn't even miss any work. The Doctor tells me I still have scar tissue on my lungs because of it, but I didn't miss any work. smile

Did is a word of achievement
Won't is a word of retreat
Might is a word of bereavement
Can't is a word of defeat
Ought is a word of duty
Try is a word of each hour
Will is a word of beauty
Can is a word of power

--Author Unknown
#143793 03/28/04 06:47 AM
MLT Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Thanks, everyone. I'll adjust my story accordingly.

ML wave

She was in such a good mood she let all the pedestrians in the crosswalk get to safety before taking off again.
- CC Aiken, The Late Great Lois Lane
#143794 03/28/04 12:30 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes, it's a "blood pressure cuff".
A really bad case of pneumonia will be accompanied usually by a racking cough and a high fever. Unless the patient has a history of penicillin alergy, the quick treatment is a shot of penicillin in the doctor's office and then a prescription for oral antibiotic, such as ampicilin. Also asprin or tylenol is prescribed for the fever. The fever should drop within 24 hours.
Now this may be a little out of date since it is based on my taking the kids into the doctor.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#143795 03/30/04 01:03 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Yeah, what everyone else said about the "blood pressure cuff" - it is technically a sphygmomanometer, but heck if I ever call it that!

As for the pneumonia, it'll depend on what kind of pneumonia it is - they'd need to get a chest X-ray to see if it's a lobar pneumonia (normal pneumonia) or an atypical pneumonia ("walking pneumonia"). They look different on X-rays and they take different antibiotics to treat them. Once on antibiotics, you should expect to see a drop in temperature and/or the patient starting to feel a little bit better, plus better breath sounds in the affected areas of the lungs - within 24 - 48 hours. If not within 48 hours, then we'd probably consider switching antibiotics or adding another antibiotic.

Most commonly now with a lobar pneumonia we do a shot of Rocephin, then oral antibiotics. If it's bad enough we'll just jump straight to hospitalization and treat with IV antibiotics.

Hope some of that's helpful,
Jill smile

Beaker: Special Talents: Scientific assistant, Victim
Last Book Read: "1001 Meeps to a Bigger Vocabulary"
Quote: "Meep! Meep! Meep!"
Never Leaves Home Without: Medical Coverage
#143796 03/30/04 01:44 PM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Jill, you don't call it a sphygmomanometer? We people who design medical instruments are horrified that doctors don't use the names we make up so that we sound smart jawdrop wink .

- Laura wink

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#143797 03/31/04 05:34 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Considering the names of all the diseases and medicines, it's no wonder that no one in the medical field says sphygmomanometer! Heck, it was a good thing questions on the EMT exam were multiple choice and not write-in, because I'd never be able to spell it, let alone say it!

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard