Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#143772 03/27/04 03:40 AM
BevBB Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Okay, here's another off-the-wall question in my seemingly neverending quest for trivia. (There is a method to my madness, I just can't tell you what it is. laugh ) Anyway, did anyone else besides Luthor (in NEVERENDING BATTLE) and Zara & Ching (at the beginning of the NK arc) test Superman's powers and abilities? It's nagging at the back of my brain that someone did but I can't remember who and it's driving me nuts.

Now, granted, I may actually be thinking of something that wasn't a test per se but instead was a failed/botched attempt to kill or otherwise stop him. It just seems like there was something else, though, and for some reason, the Prankster or Diana Stride come to mind only they don't seem right either. I tend to think what I'm reaching for is something indirectly associated with Intergang but have no idea why that is.

Am I nuts or was there someone else who "tested" him? Or several someone's for that matter.

PS: Help. I tried to edit this post and ended up creating another one. Could someone please delete it. Thanks.

BevBB :-)
"B. B. Medos"
#143773 03/27/04 03:56 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I don't know if that's what you are looking for, but in Ordinary People when Spencer Spencer didn't believe Clark that he was Superman, Clark attempted to light a candle with his heat vision to prove it. He didn't succeed, of course, and that was when Lois and him started talking through their teeth. Then that Irish guy rolled on the kryptonite and proved that he was Superman. By that point, Clark was trying to prove the opposite. goofy

Then in The Green Green Glow of Home, when Trask didn't believe him he was Superman, he aimed a gun at him to test it, but Clark was not superpowered at the time because of kryptonite, and Trask didn't believe him because "Superman doesn't fear."

Julie smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#143774 03/27/04 09:58 AM
BevBB Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
I don't know if that's what you are looking for, but in Ordinary People when Spencer Spencer didn't believe Clark that he was Superman, Clark attempted to light a candle with his heat vision to prove it. He didn't succeed, of course, and that was when Lois and him started talking through their teeth. Then that Irish guy rolled on the kryptonite and proved that he was Superman. By that point, Clark was trying to prove the opposite. goofy
Yes, no, maybe so. Boy, that was definite, wasn't it? smile I know the Trask one isn't what I'm thinking of but I may have to rewatch OP just to "see" it to be sure.

Diana Stride keeps coming to mind for some odd reason and I really don't know why. At least I think that's the name of the tabloid TV reporter woman played by Rachel Welsh. Anyway, I know she was trying to "track down" Superman, but didn't she at one point also try to make him use his powers in a certain way?

Or am I thinking of a completely different episode than hers? I have this nebulous impression of a scene where someone isn't actually testing him but is trying to see what his reaction is to something. I just can't pin down who or what it was.

"B. B. Medos"
#143775 03/27/04 11:31 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh, now I remembered another one. In Individual Responsibility, Intergang was testing to see Superman's reaction to red kryptonite when they were robbing a bank or something. I hope this is the right one. smile I don't know anything about Diana Stride because the last time I saw that ep, if ever, was at least about 4-5 years ago.

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#143776 03/27/04 01:53 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
If I remember correctly, Diana Stride (yes she was the TV Journalist, who was played by Rachel Welch) lured Superman to her penthouse by staging a fire and calling for help. This allowed her to plant the tracer on Superman which lead her to the Daily Planet.

Intergang once used some sort of tiny rockets loaded with paint to show Superman that he couldn't protect everyone. While Superman was able to stop the one heading for Lois, Jimmy was splatted.

Tank (who remembers very little now days... they say the memory is the first thing to go)

#143777 03/27/04 02:14 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
umm... y'all... that's Raquel Welsh... I believe they tried testing his powers in Lethal Weapon, because they were so out of control... maybe.

Laura

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
#143778 03/27/04 06:37 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
TESTING SUPERMAN
I listed all episodes that come to mind and have some instance of a testing or a villains' manipulation of Superman.

BARBARIANS AT THE PLANET
Mrs. Cox tested Superman with green kryptonite at a false bank alarm.

RETURN OF THE PRANKSTER
Kyle Griffin tried to test his freezing machine on Superman, but it didn't work the first time. However, he broke into Lois' computer files and found information to revamp his device to make it work successfully the second time.

CONTACT
Not exactly testing, though, Superman was "forced to rescue" Lois while crimes were committed.(??)

ULTRAWOMAN
After hitting Superman with a red Kryptonite beam, the Newtrich sisters wanted to test the result of their experiment, hence caused a fire at the Daily Planet.

HOME IS WHERE THE HURT IS
Mindy Church and Bermuda staged Mindy's sucidal attemt to spray him with Kryptonian virus. To further confirm the results, Mindy varoomed in her Santa attire during "Superman brings Christmas tree to Orpahange" function.(??)

TEMPUS ANYONE?
The dangling of Lois from a ledge was to test if Clark would make a "come-out", a test orchestrated by Tempus

SECONDS
Lex Luthor staged various prank help calls / rigged buildings to hamper Superman's stopping him.(??)

LETHAL WEAPON
As LauraBF suggested, at least the first incident during the strip poker game, was a test by Jerry White to test the effects of Red Kryptonite on Superman.

STOP THE PRESSES
The Press brothers staged various high powered accidents to learn about Superman's recharging abilities.

Or am I thinking of a completely different episode than hers? I have this nebulous impression of a scene where someone isn't actually testing him but is trying to see what his reaction is to something. I just can't pin down who or what it was.
Could it be -- Stop the Presses?

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria
#143779 03/28/04 12:56 PM
BevBB Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
BARBARIANS AT THE PLANET
Mrs. Cox tested Superman with green kryptonite at a false bank alarm.
I'm pretty sure this is the one I was trying to remember. I thought of it last night but couldn't remember what her name was. I kept trying to stick her with Mrs. Jones or Mrs. Smith. :rolleyes:

STOP THE PRESSES
The Press brothers staged various high powered accidents to learn about Superman's recharging abilities.
Whoa. I don't even remember this one at all but I'll probably just rewatch each of the episodes mentioned to double-check, so thanks.

"B. B. Medos"

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard