Next Thread
Print Thread
#143329 02/20/04 10:23 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
I hope no one minds I'm beginning this new thread. Someone (Gerry, I think?) mentioned that the other thread was getting too long and I wanted to ask this question that is probably going to attract many replies.

So, here it is:

I know that in my sig line I say 'And never begin a sentence with a conjunction' laugh I chose that lines because I thought they're fun, but there's something bugging me.

I often begin sentences with 'And'. Dunno why, it just seems to flow naturally.

Now, my question is: I know that (at least typically) it's wrong to begin a sentence with and. Is it annoying too? confused

I'm waiting for your replies and the continuation of the writing issues (Schoolmarm? wink )
See ya,
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I often begin sentences with 'And'. Dunno why, it just seems to flow naturally.

Now, my question is: I know that (at least typically) it's wrong to begin a sentence with and. Is it annoying too?
Gosh, I hope it's not too annoying, 'cause I do that a lot... laugh And I don't think it's always wrong, either. I read that somewhere, really. But I can't remember where...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
There were certain rules that we were taught as kids in elementary school so that we wouldn't make mistakes. Examples of these include never begin a sentence with "because". The reason for this is to avoid a sentence fragment. (Easy for a kid or an adult to write--e.g. Because I never understood grammatical rules. That's a sentence fragment...a no-no). But there is nothing wrong with--Because I never understood grammatical rules, I made a lot of mistakes.

So, in short, to avoid certain mistakes, kids are taught what not to do.

Similarly, beginning a sentence with "And" puts the reader in the middle of a sentence--or at least the sentence before. That's a good rule for writing essays and other transactional (more formal) kinds of writing, but generally it's ignored in writing fiction. The "And" becomes more emphatic at the beginning of the sentence.

And once again, it's something that should be used in moderation. If not, the emphasis is lost.

(BTW, another myth that is taught in elementary school is that commas are placed wherever there is a pause in the flow of the sentence. Not true. There are very specific rules for commas.)

Good thing my red pen has been retired clap

gerry

Top Banana
Top Banana
There are very specific rules for commas.
Could someone please point me out to a website explaining those rules? Or explain them here?

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
It's the SPIT rule Helene.

S- words, phrases, clauses in a SERIES are separated by a comma e.g. There are chairs, tables and rugs in the room.

P - PRINCIPLE clauses linked with a conjunction (and, but, or) --Clark arrived on time, but Lois was late.

I - An INTRODUCTORY word, phrase or clause is followed by a comma. e.g. Nevertheless, Lois was annoyed.
or
Wishing that she had spoken to Clark first, Lois plunged into the deep water.

T - THOUGHT INTERRUPTION (The comma comes before and after. The first one signals a "detour"; the second brings the reader back to the main road.) e.g. Clark, a part-time superhero, manages to save the day on a regular basis.

Those are the basic rules. And of course, there are exceptions (and there are the rules of dialogue punctuation).

Hope that helps.

gerry

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm like gerry in that I tend to use "and" at the beginning of a sentence to provide emphasis. Of course, I also write the way I talk so starting a sentence with "and" is probably the least of my grammatical infractions. laugh

Did is a word of achievement
Won't is a word of retreat
Might is a word of bereavement
Can't is a word of defeat
Ought is a word of duty
Try is a word of each hour
Will is a word of beauty
Can is a word of power

--Author Unknown
Top Banana
Top Banana
Thanks for the very comprehensive explanation, Gerry! smile Very clear and your examples illustrate those rules very well. So I'll try to get my grammatically-challenged mind to remember those.

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Thanks, Gerry and everyone else who replied!

AnnaBtG. smile

What we've got here is failure to communicate...

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard