From Part 1:

The three of them rode the elevator back to the bullpen, and, as they emerged, they observed a tall man, with curly red hair, standing in James’ office, holding an oversized leather attaché case. It was apparent that he was anxiously awaiting their return.

“Time to sell, Mr. Olson,” he said, as the trio entered the office, spoken in a tone so icy cold that it sent chills down Lois’ spine. It was the voice of Lenny Thorul - the man on the phone. She was careful to shield her thoughts from Clark; unbeknownst to Lois, Clark immediately felt Lois’ anxiety and “heard” the name of the man he was about to be introduced to.

James resignedly turned to Lois and Clark, and said, “Mr. Thorul, please meet my best reporters, Clark Kent/Superman and Lois Lane. Clark and Lois, this man looks to be the new owner of the Daily Planet: Leonard Thorul, VP Acquisitions, Edge Enterprises.”

~~~~~

Lois didn’t want to make eye contact with him, but she had no choice. Summoning all of her strength of character she had garnered while in Congo, Lois faced him square in the eye, and shook his hand. “Nice to meet you, Mr. Thorul,” she forced herself to say in a pleasant, businesslike tone of voice.

Lenny took her hand and kissed it, saying, “Ms. Lane, you have no idea how thrilled we are at Edge Enterprises to know that you made it safely back from Congo-Brazzaville. What a pleasure to finally meet you. Your reputation as a world-class investigative reporter is simply … amazing.”

Clark was completely perplexed. Why would a man Lois had never met, even if it was the man she had heard on the phone, while eavesdropping on Lex Luthor, so many years ago, cause her this much discomfort? She was a bundle of nerves, even though she was hiding it well. He tried to mentally communicate with her, and found she had shut him out. Meanwhile, Thorul was now directing his attention at Clark.

“Mr. Kent… Superman, as it were; again, it is very exciting to meet you as well. Since I’m from the West Coast, I haven’t really seen you in action as 'Superman'. I’m looking forward to witnessing your exploits in person, now that I’m going to be relocating to the East Coast,” Thorul informed him, shaking his hand rather vigorously.

Clark felt another wave of anxiety from Lois when Thorul mentioned he was moving to the East Coast. <“Lois, what’s up here? Talk about your nervous breakdowns! Honey, you can tell me… please!”>

Lois looked over at Clark, but didn’t reply. In the meantime, Clark returned Thorul’s handshake a little too aggressively, causing him to wince in pain. “I’m sorry, Mr. Thorul. Sometimes I don’t know my own strength. It’s a pleasure to meet you as well,” he said, trying to cover up his true displeasure at meeting this man who was causing his wife so much internal turmoil. He wanted to pick him up and drop him and his expensive briefcase in Hobb’s Bay. But his usual self-control wouldn’t allow him to do that.

“Mr. Olson, we need to meet in private to discuss … matters,” Thorul said to James.

Lois grabbed the Chinese food containers off of James’ desk, while Clark quietly said to him, “Jim, we’ll be over at my desk if you need to talk, afterwards.”

James nodded to him in reply. His office door closed, leaving Clark and Lois stupefied.

They spread out the food containers at Clark’s desk. Lois hadn’t been assigned a workstation, as of yet; and now, it appeared the entire future of the Daily Planet was a question mark, anyway.

Lois buried herself in the food, eating ravenously. She didn’t look up at Clark, just continued to chew and pick from each container, like an assembly line at a factory. She was totally immersed in rote behavior.

“Lois, I know that this guy is somehow connected to Luthor. I know he’s the one that you heard on the phone all those years ago with Nigel and Lex. But he doesn’t know you were listening on the other line… or does he?”

Lois didn’t answer the question. Her silence spoke in volumes to Clark.

“Lois… what really happened to you, when Nigel and Mark kidnapped you?”

Again… there was only a stony silence. Lois didn’t dare think or speak, lest she inadvertently reveal Lenny’s true identity to Clark.

Clark moved his chair directly next to Lois and gave her a bear hug. “Honey, it’s OK. You can tell me. We’ll work it out, together. We are stronger together, than we are apart. Remember that. We’ll fight those bastards… whatever we have to do, we’ll do it.”

With that, Lois burst into tears. “Clark, take me away from here for a few minutes… please. And don’t forget the Chinese,” she added, trying to laugh through the tears.

Clark cracked a smile. “Honey, you are sooo one of a kind,” he purred to her, kissing her forehead as he grabbed the food and Lois simultaneously, floating them to *his* window. When he had been "outed", James had a special window designed and installed for Clark's comings and goings as Superman. It was located right in the bullpen, very close to his workstation; this way, no other reporters had to grab their paperwork, lest it be blown away by his entrances and exits. None of the other windows in the room opened, for security and air conditioning reasons.

In a flash, he had them back at the apartment. They sat down at the kitchen table and Lois continued to pick at the Chinese.

"Lois… OK, I've only known you a week now, but you can't hide this from me. I swear I won't tell anyone, but you need to share this with me. I know that this Thorul character is causing you anxiety. My best guess is that when Mark and Nigel grabbed you, he was involved somehow. Am I right so far?"

Lois looked up at him, completely a mess. "Clark… I promised them… I just found you, and I don't want you to die because of my big mouth!" she wailed, tears flowing down her cheeks.

"Lois, for the short time in my life that I had my *real* parents, I saw them share everything. They were each other's best friends. There was nothing that couldn't be overcome, as long as they were together."

Lois' eyes suddenly widened with fear. <"This apartment might be bugged or videotaped…">

Clark smiled. <"Ok, I'll check it out. I do this about once a week anyway, since the world found out about me.">

<"Really? That really stinks that you –*we* now- have to deal with such a breach of privacy.">

<"Superman is a public figure. You're a reporter; you know the rules of privacy when it comes to that.">

<"Yes, but I never thought it would affect me personally. Really comes back to roost, doesn't it?">

<"Sure does, honey. I'll be right back!">

There were no bugging devices, but he had noticed a microscopic camera pointed at the apartment from a nearby telephone poll. He had quickly determined that that the receiver of its transmission was the LNN building. He couldn't be sure if that was the normal paparazzi, eavesdropping, or if it indeed had a connection to Lois' obvious concern for privacy.

He flew back into the apartment. <"All clear, now. Tell me the story *this* way. No one can possibly hear our thoughts!">

<"Leonard Thorul is Lex Luthor's long-lost fraternal twin brother. I think you can figure out the rest. I promised him I would never publish this information or tell *anyone*, or they'll use the kryptonite to kill you. Clark, I can't lose you… we have to keep this to ourselves, please… ">

<"Twin brother? But they were *never* seen together when Lex was alive!">

<"Exactly!">

After Lois telepathically communicated the entire story of her kidnapping and the threatening speakerphone conversation she had had with Thorul, Clark was stunned. The widespread implications of this new information gave him an ominous feeling. Luthor commits "suicide" supposedly; his "twin brother" works for Edge Enterprises, who just-so-happened-to-have acquired Luthor Corp; Timmy Carlson also "commits suicide"; and now, Thorul is on the verge of owning the Daily Planet!

<"Let's go back to the Planet now, honey. You can tell me the rest when we go to Smallville this weekend.">

Lois smiled at the newfound love of her life. <"I love you so much.">

<"Ditto.">

<"Have you been watching 'Ghost' or something?">

<"Not recently, but when I was waiting for you to show up in my life, that movie *did* keep me going.">

<"You're so sweet.">

They whooshed back into the newsroom and only Linda King, apparently, had noticed that they were missing. As sweet as sugar, she waltzed over to Clark's desk.

"So, what's going on in there?" she asked, referring to Olson's closed office door. "Does it have to do with the computers going down?"

"There's a virus, Linda. The fatal kind - which apparently destroys all the data on the network. The man in there with James is pressuring him to sell the Daily Planet. He works for Edge," Lois informed her, with a serious, yet saccharine, look on her face.

<"How do you do that, Lois?">

<"Do what?">

<"Make her feel so… insignificant, just by your tone of voice.">

<"Stick with me, Propaganda… you'll learn a lot.">

<"First time I've seen you smile in an hour.">

<"Revenge will do that to a girl.">

Clark smiled to himself, probably inappropriately, since they were having a discussion about a very serious situation.

"Yeah, I've seen him here before. Leonard Thorul, right? Poor James. He's really a good boss, I would have to think twice about working here if Edge Enterprises & LNN ends up owning the Planet," Linda replied, attempting to continue making small talk.

"Linda, when did *you* see him before?" asked Clark. "I never remember seeing him in here."

"When you went to Congo to collect *Lois*," she said, with thinly disguised sarcasm, "he came over here several times. Mayor White was here a lot too, come to think of it. And James has been looking frazzled for about a week now."

At that point, Ralph sashayed over to the group. "Hey, what's happening? Computers went down?"

"Yes, Ralph, where've *you* been?" Linda asked in a condescending tone of voice.

<"Wow, Lois, no wonder the two of you never got along. Meow!">

<"Well, believe it or not, Clark, she started it, all those years ago.">

<"I think it was probably a dead heat!">

<"You *do* still want a honeymoon, don't you?">

<"Sorry, honey!">

At that, they both turned to listen to Ralph's response to Linda's question.

"I was out covering a news conference. Didn't you hear? Mayor White just announced he was stepping down, for personal reasons."

"What?" Lois, Clark, and Linda said in unison.

"Yes, he said that effective April 15th, he would be handing the city's reins, so to speak, over to his Deputy Mayor, Michael Walker!" Ralph exclaimed, obviously pleased that he had "scooped" his fellow colleagues.

"We just saw Perry at our party last night, and he said *nothing* about stepping down! Omigod, maybe he wants to come back to the Planet, what with all the problems here!" Clark reasoned.

"Well, good news and bad news, Ralph," Lois crowed. "The good news is, you were there at the right time, and you scooped me and Clark. That's only because technically, we're not working today; the bad news is, you have no computer to write the story up on, and, by the end of the day, we may be owned by LNN and Edge Enterprises!"

<"Lois, I'm *so* glad you're on *my* side, honey!">

Lois smiled, in response to Clark's thoughts.

Ralph's balloon deflated. "I have it all written up on my laptop. Are you saying the server's down? And James is no longer our boss?"

"We're saying the server's caput, Ralph. Who knows when we're going to be able to publish the next issue? The Star is going to make some serious money from increased circulation without the Daily Planet competing with them. And, yes, James is being forced to sell, with all the problems he's been having lately," Clark informed him.

"Uh-oh! I think James' meeting with Thorul is over. The door's opening," Linda interjected.

Thorul stood next to Olson in front of his office. "Those of you that are here, I would like to make an announcement," James stated somberly.

Ralph, Linda, Lois, Clark, and several other clerical staffers gathered around the two red-haired men. James had written what appeared to be a canned press release, and he began reading from it.

"Due to unforeseen circumstances, I have decided to sell my shares in the Daily Planet, which represents a 51% controlling interest, to LNN, which is a subsidiary of Edge Enterprises. They have promised me that they will retain the present staff, that there will be no layoffs, and that they will be able to improve the Daily Planet's circulation with their links to satellite technologies and the resources of LNN. In addition, I would like to announce that Mayor Perry White is going to re-join the staff as Editor-in-chief, the position he formerly held here prior to his election as Mayor of Metropolis. As some of you may know, he has resigned his position as Mayor, effective April 15th; he will report to work at the Daily Planet the very next day, April 16th.

"Mr. Thorul, here, has asked me to stay on as Manager of the IT department, and I have accepted his offer as well. I am pleased to remain with the Daily Planet, and to continue to be able to work with all of you, even if it *is* in a different capacity.

"That's all I am at liberty to divulge at this time. Let me just state that LNN assures me that we will have a server up and running by tomorrow morning, and that the Daily Planet *will* be able to publish an afternoon edition."

At the conclusion of his "speech", James shook hands with Thorul, and went back into his office, closing the door behind him. It appeared that he was beginning to clean out his desk, and that he wanted to be alone.

Thorul now cleared his throat, to make a statement of his own.

Clark could feel Lois' tension. <"Honey… it's OK. Really! We'll handle this.">

"We at Edge Enterprises would like to extend an offer to the entire staff of the Daily Planet to stay on in your present positions, at your present salaries. We have a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset when it comes to personnel. Since it will take most of the next 24 hours to install a new server, we are granting everyone the rest of the day off, with pay. Please report to work at your typical time, tomorrow morning."

There was a hush, as the employees began organizing their desks before they left for the day. Thorul called out to Lois: "Ms. 'Lane-Kent' – is that your name now?"

"I'm retaining my maiden name, Mr. Thorul… it's simply Ms. 'Lane'," she responded in a professional, assertive tone of voice.

<"Keep it up, Lois… don't let him intimidate you. 'Mad Dog Lane'… oh, 'Mad Dog Lane'… where are you? Calling all 'Mad Dog Lanes' to the Planet newsroom!">

<"Don't make me laugh, sweets! He won't take me seriously.">

"Ms. 'Lane' then… may I see you privately for a moment?"

Clark was psychically assaulted with a wave of nausea and anxiety. Using his enhanced vision and hearing, he followed Lois and Thorul into the conference room.

"It is very nice to meet you in person, Lois. You are just as beautiful as Mark described. No wonder he all but fell in love with you. Oh, may I call you 'Lois'?"

"I think 'Ms. Lane' would be more professional, Mr. Thorul," she responded. "After all, I'm not calling you 'Lenny'."

<"Good for you, Lois!">

"Yes, that clearly would not be appropriate, would it, 'Ms. Lane'? I'm curious, are you going to be uncomfortable, working here now, under the circumstances?" he asked her.

"I haven't had a chance to give that much thought, now have I, Mr. Thorul?"

"True, true. Well, we're going to make every effort to ensure that you are treated like gold. You are *the* premier investigative reporter in the United States, Ms. Lane… at least, you *were*. "I'm *sure* you haven't lost your touch."

"By the way, how did you feel, discovering that your sister Lucy married my assistant?"

"What?" exclaimed Lois.

<"Huh? Lois, you didn't tell me that!">

"You didn't know? Will Church, your sister's husband, is my assistant. He has asked to be transferred here to the East Coast, to assist in the acquisition of the Daily Planet, as well as to be close to his newfound sister and brother-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Superman," Thorul informed her in a gloating tone of voice.

"Mr. Thorul, is there a point here?" Lois responded, feeling weary and sickened all over.

"Ms. Lane, there is *always* a point. One that I don’t plan on verbalizing, however. We're all done here. You have a nice day. Did you even have your honeymoon with the Boy Scout yet?"

<"Ah ha! The Luthor connection surfaces. He *always* referred to me as the 'Boy Scout'!">

"Mr. Thorul, that's really not your business, and if you're all set with the verbal sparring, I would like to start enjoying my paid afternoon off!" Lois retorted.

<"That's it, honey!">

"Ms. Lane… as I recall, you're not on the payroll until Monday… isn't that correct?"

<"That bastard!">

"Whatever," she snarled, leaving the conference room. "Good day, Mr. Thorul."

"Good day, Ms. *Lane*," he replied, oozing a cynical smile, as only a Luthor could.

TBC

Chris

"Together we are stronger than each of us is apart"