Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#143282 02/16/04 06:27 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Could a person lost in Kansas purchase a road atlas for all of Kansas? In this case, the person is not in Smallville, or near any major city or town, so I need the road atlas to cover lots of territory. Then again, I imagine a Kansas road atlas will be pretty big...

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#143283 02/16/04 06:34 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Chances are, if a person were driving in Kansas (or in a state boarding Kansas such as Iowa or South Dakota), they would be able to stop in a local gas station and pick up a folded-up road map of the entire state of Kansas. Even the smallest towns would have gas stations with such a map.

And the map itself would probably be no larger than a map for a much smaller state such as Connecticut because I believe they are designed to scale to fit on a particular set size. I'd hate to have to unfold the Texas map if all states were placed on proportional sized maps <g>.

I won't speak for all people, of course, but I myself have a Rand McNally Road Atlas in my car that has a page for each of the 50 states plus many maps of key cities. It doesn't provide detail of the small county roads and such, but when I'm in a strange place, it gets me basically where I need to be.

Hope that helps,
Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#143284 02/16/04 06:54 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks! I imagine that atlas of yours with all 50 states must weigh quite a bit. wink

I prefer a book atlas for Lois, not an unfolding map. I hate dealing with those (not that I drive, but I have looked at a map before). For the record, in $US, how much would such an atlas (of Kansas only) cost? I mean an atlas that would also include major city maps, and of course highways and such.

Edit: Okay, I have some more questions. You know how it is when you haven't touched a fic for a while and then you go back and think, "hey, this doesn't make sense. And neither does this."

1. Are there gas stations on interstates? (Silly, but I wouldn't know.)

2. Can there be a snowstorm in Kansas in say, November? I know they have some rough winters.

3. How much education in medicine would you need to have to be able to handle a cow's broken hind leg?

4. How well can you take care of that cow with a regular (human) first aid kit?

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?

(The X-Files)
#143285 02/16/04 08:25 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Ah, I know the answer to 1. No, there are not gas stations on interstates themselves. Every so often, there are "exits." You turn off the interstate onto an off-ramp, which leads you to some regular streets, and there's usually some gas stations, hotels, etc in the middle of nowhere. :-p

JD

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#143286 02/16/04 10:09 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
You might want to look at the KC Roads website. It seems to have details on all the exits and such. Also Interstate guide

#143287 02/17/04 12:02 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I imagine that atlas of yours with all 50 states must weigh quite a bit.
It doesn't, actually. I have one which covers the whole of the US (including Hawaii and Alaska) and all Canadian provinces. Each state/province gets a minimum of one two-page spread - some, because of size or shape, get more: Ontario has two spreads. Most states also have a separate page showing smaller maps of the large cities. We've got around several states and one Canadian province using it. wink

But it doesn't weigh much more than a couple of paperback novels. It's about 12 x 18 inches, and maybe 1/4 inch at most thick.

As for gas/petrol stations, don't forget the service areas, or whatever they're called in the US: right beside the interstate there are service areas, much like in Canada, Julie: you'll find an area with fast-food places, a shop, toilets etc, and also a petrol station.

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#143288 02/17/04 01:50 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
As for gas/petrol stations, don't forget the service areas, or whatever they're called in the US: right beside the interstate there are service areas, much like in Canada, Julie: you'll find an area with fast-food places, a shop, toilets etc, and also a petrol station.
Depends on which state you're in, I think -- I've only ever seen gas stations at those things while driving through New Jersey. Mostly, the rest area has bathrooms, some snack & drink machines, payphones, some picnic tables, and a pet walking area. If it's near a state border, it might include a "welcome center" which would have maps & brochures of the state -- that's generally the only kind that has actual people working there.

When we needed gas or food, we'd have to watch out for highway signs & billboards to let us know what was available at each exit.

As best as I can recall, that holds true in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida -- at least along I-95. But hey, maybe it's just an East Coast thing. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#143289 02/17/04 02:42 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
In general, if an Interstate is a "toll road" such as I80 where it goes across the northern tip of Indiana and continuing on into Ohio, the rest areas will include gas stations along with all of the other amenities drivers often need, such as restaurants and bathrooms. This is because to leave the highway requires the payment of your toll. However, if the interstate is not a toll road, then one would need to do as Pam said and keep an eye on exits.

As for snow storms in Kansas in November, I'm sure they are not unheard of. We've had them here in Chicago as early as Halloween, and we are all midwestern states with similar weather patterns. I would imagine it would occur later in the month rather than earlier. If I were writing this into a story, I'd surely have some old farmer commenting that they hadn't seen a snow this early since the great storm of "aught four" <g>.

And yes, Wendy is correct. My Rand McNally road atlas measures a compact 8 1/2" x 11" and weighs no more than a paperback book.

Julie - I could be wrong, but I can't imagine that the state of Kansas would put out a book style atlas of just Kansas. It is a pretty "barren" state as far as population goes, being mostly covered in farmland with county roads that extend forever through fields. My Chicagoland area book atlas has pages for different sections of the city, each page a continuation of the one prior. But Chicago itself probably has ten time more streets than all of Kansas put together. Again, I could be wrong, but really, I think you'd be more likely to find those annoying folded dealies that are impossible to refold.

Can't tell you about the cow stuff. I was born in Topeka (Kansas) but now I'm a citified girl <g>.

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah
#143290 02/17/04 03:07 AM
J
jwb Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Having lived in Kansas for half of my life, I'll try to answer your questions:

For the record, in $US, how much would such an atlas (of Kansas only) cost? I mean an atlas that would also include major city maps, and of course highways and such.
I haven't picked one up in a few years, but the last time I needed a map of Kansas, I just pulled into a gas station and got one for free. It was the foldup kind. The state of Kansas gives them out to places so they can give them out to people.

If you want a book, with only a Kansas map, I don't know that I've ever seen one of those. An atlas of the whole US isn't that big - as Wendy said. You can actually get them smaller at the dreaded Wal-Mart. I've never priced one, but I'd imagine around $6-$10 should more than cover it.

1. Are there gas stations on interstates? (Silly, but I wouldn't know.)
There are service centers along all the interstates in Kansas - and they have a fast food place, a gas station, and some have a place for truckers to take a shower, etc... All of them have a gas station I believe. I've been to all of them in the last couple years or so.

2. Can there be a snowstorm in Kansas in say, November? I know they have some rough winters.
Yes - the year my wife and I found out we were going to have our first child, Kansas got buried in about 30 inches of snow - preventing us from going home for Thanksgiving and telling everyone in person.

3. How much education in medicine would you need to have to be able to handle a cow's broken hind leg?
Quite a bit, I would think. You are talking about an animal that *has* to walk on all four legs because they are so darn big. How big? 500 pounds easily (probabaly closer to 1000 pounds depending on the breed/sex/age of the animal - or more). [227 to 454 kilograms?]

4. How well can you take care of that cow with a regular (human) first aid kit?
For a broken leg? Not very well at all I would think. Cows have such a different shape that even if the first aid kit had an air cast, it wouldn't fit. If you just want to treat cuts, etc... I guess it would work - assuming you can get the cow to stay still.

Cows have a tendency to do what ever they want, and you kind of have to let them since they are so much bigger than you are.

Side trip - My grandfather raised cattle for a living (along with being a farmer). One time, we went out to visit them. It was at night, so it was dark. We had a pickup with a "topper" on it. Sort of a shell that covers the bed of the pickup truck. There was a bed in it, with a little intercom between the cab and the back of the truck. I've probably lost most of you by now...

Anyway - this was before the whole seatbelt craze so my brother and I were riding in the back, layed out on the bed. We were both under 10. All of the sudden - WHAM! It felt like we hit a brick wall. We hit the intercom. "What happened?" Reply - "We hit a cow."

A black cow had gotten out and was on the roadway. We topped a hill, it was on the blind side - we blind sided a side of beef. We bailed out the back of the truck to see this cow laying there on the road - it's tongue hanging out, blood coming from it's nose, and it's eyeballs hanging out of it's head (I kid you not. It sounds horrible, but to a kid, it was cool in a gross sort of way....)

We all thought Dad had killed it for sure. Dad was worried about his truck. Mom was afraid we would all get creamed on the road next. My brother and I was checking out the cow. Dad noticed it had Grandpa's brand on it, which got him worried about the cow instead of the truck. Cows cost a lot of money to raise, and they were destined for the sale barn - so basically, he was costing Grandpa a lot of money.

We were trying to decide what to do when the darn thing lets out a bellow, flops around on the ground, and stumbles to it's feet - it's eyeballs popping back into its head in the processes. It was cross-eyed and stumbling around like it was drunk.

Now, Mom really wanted us to get back in the truck. She didn't so much care about traffic anymore, she just didn't want to be stampeded by a mad cow that couldn't see straight. Of course, my brother and I ran for the truck as well - we didn't want to get stomped on either.

We left it there, went and got Grandpa and he managed to get it home somehow. It stumbled around the corral for a few days then went on it's merry way to becoming hamburger.

I've watched my Grandpa "doctor" many cows, but I think if one had gotten a broken leg, he would have either taken it to a vet (or had a vet come get it) or had it put down and taken to the butcher. Reason being, it's too expensive to pay a vet, when you could eat it.

Hoped this all helped.

--
Jeff
#143291 02/17/04 03:28 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
In the states I've lived in (four), you could find a "County Map Book" or "State Atlas" which details the state -- instead of 1-2 pages per state as in a common US atlas, these have 1-2 pages per county and it includes all the little back roads, the state parks, areas of interest for tourists, etc. My guess is that Kansas would have one, too, since there are enough people in the big cities to justify printing it. However, I'm not sure these county books would be available everywhere. As mentioned, you can find a US atlas at every gas station (not to mention WalMart, etc.) but a state atlas might require a decent-sized book store to find one in stock.

(Edited to add: I just checked Amazon.com and sure enough, Kansas has one -- list price of $20, Amazon price of $14.)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...852931?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

There are also "Street Finders" which go into even more detail -- down to each neighborhood -- but I think those are only put out for big cities. It wouldn't make sense financially to print one for small towns.

As for prices, state maps are fairly cheap -- you can get folded paper ones at the gas station for as little as a couple dollars, or you can get the nice laminated ones for $6-7 (today's prices). US Atlases are more like $10-15, I think, but there will be a big range depending on size (small pocket ones might only be $5, but don't have the level of detail in them). My Michigan map book ("Michigan Atlas and Gazetteer", just like the Kansas one linked to above) had a list price of $15 back in 1991.

Oh, but as for the US Road Atlas, we've never actually paid for one -- our insurance company (State Farm) gives them out for free. (I think AAA probably does, too.) You just go to your local agent's office and ask for one. We get new ones every few years and keep one in each car, as well as one in the house.

So I guess this means that you just have to decide how organized your character is. She can keep an Atlas in her car and use that, or stop at any gas station and buy a folded paper state map or an Atlas there. smile

Kathy

#143292 02/17/04 03:45 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
The Rand McNally is actually larger than 8.5x11. I own one, and I have quite a few printed pages hiding in the monster (mostly directions to a certain place in WV, where I have to drive a lot of backroads). According to the Wal-Mart website, the Rand McNally 2003 Road Atlas for US, Canada, and Mexico is 0.5x11.0x15.5 and costs $8.60 US (or 11.95, depending on if it's on sale). If you're going to be travelling across states, it's a great thing to have.... even if you know where you're going. ("Dear, where are we?" "I don't know." *hauls out the atlas* "You missed the exit." "Why didn't you tell me?" "You always drive this leg, how could you forget?!")

As far as rest stops vs service stations, as mentioned, rest stops are usually on non-toll highways, and just consist of bathrooms and vending machine. Most will also have a display of brochures for local sights and hotels, along with a pay phone and a toll-free number to make hotel reservations. Service stations are found on toll roads (pay to drive on them), and have bathrooms, vending machines, brochures, a gift shop, small convenience store area, one or more fast food places in one building, and a gas station attached. As a few people mentioned, it's because it costs money to get off/on the toll roads. If the states didn't put in the service stations, less people would drive the toll roads, and they'd lose money.

I've usually had to pay for the fold-up maps. I had to buy one in New Jersey at a service station, and it cost me $2.95, I think.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#143293 02/17/04 04:19 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Just a little meaningless tidbit. On I80 in Ohio (the east-west road you take to get to New York City) and on parts of I90 (the more northern east-west road, both which go through the Cleveland area -- you take I90 West to get to Chicago and east to get to Boston) there are really wonderful, renovated service areas even with Panera bread shops (my favorite fast food restaurant) laugh . Those service plazzas better be nice! After all, it costs at least $15 to drive across the entire state of Ohio!

Anyway, my little story. When my friends and I drove to Boston a few years ago, gas prices were horribly expensive. Since I am a bit . . . let's say cheap, I would hold out until I found a gas station for less than $1.50. And that was hard to do since gas then (especailly in Mass. and NY) was all around $1.80. Anyway on I90 (which is a turnpike in Mass., New York, and parts of Ohio west of Cleveland) in upstate NY -- maybe around Syracuse -- there were signs on each service plazza that their gas was cheaper than anywhere else in the state. And I was like No Way! Gas will not be cheaper on the turnpike! Let's go into some little town and gas will be really cheap! Well, it turns out, this town was a good 20 minutes off the freeway! And since my gas was virtually on empty when we got off the freeway, I just about ran out of gas as we sputtered around this hilly town there was 1 gas station -- full serve -- and twice as expencive as at the service plazza! I learned my lesson! The state of new york does not lie to you about gas prices.

On the regular freeways, the rest stops generally don't have service plazas, as others have said. There are generally blue signs before exits indicating gas/food/lodging and occasionally what interesting sight-seeing things are at each exit. Often, you can see the signs for the gas stations from the road.

I do a lot of traveling, and since I don't fly in planes, it is all by car. I've been to every state in the eastern US and part of Canada by driving. And, actually, almost never use a map. But I have to admit, I've never been to Kansas nor anywhere West of Chicago.

- Laura smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#143294 02/17/04 04:34 AM
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Well, nobody's mentioned this part, which surprised me. Which means my info is wrong, or I'm just plain weirder than I thought. wink

In my family, we call those 'service stations' that Jeff mentioned (the ones with gas station, store, a restaurant and showers for truckers) "Truck Stops." Probably because of those showers for the truckers. :p Anyway, most of my long-distance driving has been in the western half of the US (Texas to Michigan with a slight detour by way of California, anyone? Yeah, been there, done that. goofy ) and the roads tend to go forever with no large towns. Therefore, the best place to get gas and food and stuff is a truck stop. They also have this cool deal now where you rent a book on tape/CD and then turn it in at another truck stop of the same name later on your route (my favorite one is the Flying J <g>).

Now, I know we've been through Nebraska a few times, and from what I know, driving through Kansas and Nebraska is pretty much the same (for the non-native, at least). Hm...did we go through Kansas that one trip to CA? I think so... Anyway, they've definitely got truck stops. Which would definitely have maps and atlases. At least US atlases. And CDs. And books. And candy. And cheesy souvenirs. And...I'm ready for a road trip!

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
#143295 02/17/04 04:50 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I didn't even think of the truck stops. Those are the glorified gas stations I usually stop at on the regular freeways. The truck stops usually do have a small gift area, and occasionally a fast food place attached. The good gas stations usually have a sandwich bar in the back, where you can get sandwiches of any type. *goes off to dream of Sheetz...*

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#143296 02/17/04 05:43 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
The Rand McNally is actually larger than 8.5x11.
I, too, have one of these larger Rand McNally's, but the one I have in my car is a nice little petite thing. It's 10 3/4" x 8" x 1/4" and fits in the little drawer beneath our passenger seat. Very handy to have. On page 132, it shows the state of Kansas, 3/8" to 20 mile ratio.

Yes, I'm a map geek. I love maps. Used to go on long road trips with my family and follow along with my finger where we were. And it amazes me to meet people who have no idea how to read a map.

Which reminds me of a little story: When my husband and I were in England, we stayed at a little B and B in Bath. The morning we were to leave, we happened to mention to some other guests (from England) that we were going to drive our rental car up to Edinburgh that day - if I remember right, about an 8 or so hour drive. They were just amazed that we were setting out on such a "journey". My husband and I had to stifle a laugh, because that didn't seem nearly the drive they made it out to be, being used to driving much longer distances all the time. Just went to show us it's all a matter of what you're used to <g>.

Anyway, I recommend this Deluxe Travel and Road Guide by Rand McNally for a handy little reference tool.

Lynn

#143297 02/17/04 11:21 AM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks, all! I think I have enough on the map and gas stations issue...
smile
But the cow... What about goats? Would a person with limited education (in medicine) be able to take care of one?

Did Clark's parents even have goats...? sad

Julie

(The X-Files)
#143298 02/18/04 07:24 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Julie, I have no idea as to the answers to your questions...but I do know I definitely want to read this story! goofy

LabRat smile (falling over laughing as Jeff's cow story reminds her of Jim Carrey beating the living daylights out of that poor cow in an attempt to put it out of its misery in Me, Myself and Irene )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#143299 02/18/04 08:50 PM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Julie, I have no idea as to the answers to your questions...but I do know I definitely want to read this story!
Oh, and I was hoping to be subtle enough to avoid nagging about this one... Wanda knows none of the stories I sent her include getting lost in Kansas or cows. smile

Julie

(The X-Files)

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard