Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#143036 01/23/04 05:18 PM
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Okay...erm, how do I say this? I need to know what kind of crime-dealy would be so big that the criminals would bring along Kryptonite even though they are not in Metropolis. (I'm not sure how far from Metropolis; at first I was thinking Chicago, but now I'm thinking a city within driving distance.) I thought of terrorism, (local guys taking hostages, not Al Quida) but it occurred to me that if there was a hostage situation, an ambulance might be called. I need this person to get in their car and drive to the hospital, so having an ambulence handy would wreck my story. (Note: I will neither confirm nor deny the existence of a story. Ignore those last two words!)

Also...Hypothetically speaking, suppose a person comes into contact with a machine that propells them into a parallel universe. They drive home, not knowing they're in another universe until they get to their apartment. Now...
What's the best way to make this person stuck? Not forever, just maybe a week at most.

I could really use some input, here. help

~•~
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
First up, the crime could be anything, so long as the would be perpetrator(s) are desperate enough to not be apprehended and can get their hands on some Kryptonite. It might have to be something newsworthy if it's out of town; that is, they'd have to be concerned that Superman might hear about it and respond, so it'd have to be big enough and public enough for a country-wide newsflash. And it'd have to be something that would or could attract attention, so a covert bank robbery, for instance, in which the perps would much prefer that it wasn't discovered until they were long gone, wouldn't be that much good. A kidnapping or hostage situation would seem to be the best bet, though not the only one by a long chalk.

As far as the PU goes... well, you can ring any changes on the universe that you like to strand your character. Maybe the machine isn't there in the new universe, but it will be in a week's time (the person who built it in our universe is still finishing it in the PU); or the act of moving from one universe to another can only take place at certain times, and the next "window" doesn't open for a week. There's lots of possibilities...

Hope this helps.

Phil

Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox at times...
Top Banana
Top Banana
and the next "window" doesn't open for a week.
That's what they did in Sliders. They were looking for the right parallel universe, and on the way passed through many many weird ones, and every time they had to spend a few days in that PU because the window wouldn't open until then. Did they ever even find the right universe, BTW? I was never a much dedicated viewer of the series.

As for the crime - Maybe they want to steal a nuclear warhead or something, that would be worthy of a call for Superman. Though why they would need it is up to you. smile

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Did they ever even find the right universe, BTW?
I watched an episode where they got back to the right universe, then left it again a couple of minutes later - Quinn's front gate had been oiled while they were away, so they thought it was the wrong universe.

What happened after that, I couldn't say. I was only an intermittent watcher.

Back to the main question... if whatever the crooks were doing had caused major city-wide mayhem (the large-scale building destruction in Wall of Sound springs to mind) then the emergency services numbers would be jammed and getting an ambulance out would be difficult to impossible. HTH.

Mere

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Thanks, everybody! My problems are solved.
Muchas gracias por las ideas! thumbsup

~•~

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard