Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#142985 01/20/04 06:09 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
One point with this email.

They asked you to click or reply if you were NOT interested. (Like deleting and never responding wouldn't give them the hint :rolleyes: )

By replying or clicking, you are verifying that they have reached a valid email address and there is a big business in valid email addresses for marketing.

The best answer is to just ignore and delete.

#142986 01/21/04 07:42 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just got mine. I decided to save it for posterity.

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#142987 01/21/04 03:49 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I got one of those, too. Reading through the posts, however, I did want to chime in on this from Hazel:

I would just like to address a comment made by LauraBF and Labrat, though: while it's certainly true that no one in their right mind should take up an offer made by a vanity publisher, that does not mean that it's not the right path under certain circumstances. I've been published by three different publishers now, but I know of two separate people who had a story to tell and had trouble getting a publisher to do it for them. Both chose the vanity publishing method for getting their book into print. While it does mean that they are responsible for distribution and advertising, it also means that the book at least exists. One of those authors -- the one whom I've dealt with personally, and who I strongly advised against taking the vanity publishing route -- has more than earned enough in sales to cover her costs, and is just happy that her personal Holocaust account has seen print.
This is a topic very close to my heart, so I wanted to chime in here and agree. While it's definitely *wonderful* to come across a publisher who wants to publish your work--and better yet, with no cost to the writer! wink --sometimes that just doesn't happen. If a writer wants it badly enough, sometimes they'll do whatever it takes to GET his/her work published. I was *very* lucky to not have to front any money, but not everyone is.

For example, I have several writer friends who have paid somewhere between $1,000-$2,000 up front to have their book published by a smaller publisher who accepted their manuscript. After countless rejections, they were HAPPY to pay the money to get that first book published. Each of those authors have now hit bestsellers lists over the past few years and are making a decent living writing. Sometimes it's worth it to pay for getting that first work published, but I agree--NEVER publish with someone who approaches YOU. Yikes. That reeks of scam. dizzy

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Like I said, this was a topic close to my heart. blush

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
#142988 01/21/04 04:31 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I was beginning to feel left out, but I got it today (or yesterday, I only checked my email today).

When I decide to publish anything, anyway, I'll see what to do. In the meantime, it's not "important to my career" (considering I'm only fifteen years old and don't have one yet).

wink Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
#142989 01/21/04 08:18 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Okay, who do I complain to? I'm not happy! I still haven't received this. It's not on, you know! I'm EIC of the darn Archive and I don't get one? It's a poor show.

Re Hazel and Erin - yes, I think there's a vast difference between an author seeking out a vanity publisher and being approached by one.

LabRat smile (feeling left out now and grumpy... )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#142990 01/21/04 08:29 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Labby, perhaps your spam blocker is too efficient? Or you actually did get one weeks ago, but the experience was so traumatic that you're suppressing the memory?

Um, if you're really feeling left out, I suppose I could send you some of my spam. Did you want stuff on home businesses, stuff on cheap prescription drugs, dating stuff? All of the above?

Just let me know. laugh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#142991 01/21/04 10:10 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Are you sure you didn't get one, Rat? You might be in my situation: like you, I was feeling a little miffed that I hadn't been approached... :rolleyes: until I saw the name of the sender.

Then I realised that I had had a message from "her", and it had even got through UWE's spam filter, but that I had dumped it wthout opening it because a) I didn't recognise the sender's name and b) the Subject line had been corrupted into a mess of alpha-numeric soup!

So much for that mailshot... wink

Phil

Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox at times...
#142992 01/21/04 10:40 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Well, as far as I know / can recall, I haven't had one, and I know that my mail blocker is not efficient.

I might have deleted it, I suppose, but I don't think so. I think any message that wasn't trying to persuade me to buy medication, 'enhance' my body or sell me printer cartridges would have been sufficiently memorable to have stuck in my mind! wink

Chris (pretending to be deeply hurt that her work clearly isn't even up to snuff enough to attract the vanity publisher! wink )

#142993 01/22/04 01:20 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, you got me wondering if I was doing poor Mercedes a grave injustice there, Phil, so went and double checked in my deleted items folder.

Nope. Closest I apparently got was an email from Mercedes Smith offering me free pay-per-view.

And, Chris - thanks. Hadn't thought of that one. Now I have double reason to be left out and grumpy. razz ) so I think I'll pass on that one for now. Maybe later. But, you know, if I ever find myself in danger of running out you'll be the first I'll call. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#142994 01/22/04 03:10 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by rivka:
Did you want stuff on home businesses, stuff on cheap prescription drugs, dating stuff?
And don't forget the Paris Hilton video ads!!! eek

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#142995 01/22/04 04:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
(...) the Paris Hilton video ads!!
Really? Wow! The rue de Courcelles one's absolutely gorgeous!
Carole smile1

#142996 01/22/04 09:43 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Carole,

In case you are confused like I was until someone explained it to me...

The Paris Hilton Video refers to Ms. Paris Hilton, daughter of Mr and Mrs Hilton, not the hotel in Paris of the same name laugh

Helga
(You've got to wonder about parents who name their daughter after a building they own...)

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit.

Intelligence is not putting them in a fruit salad.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard