Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#142918 01/16/04 10:50 AM
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Do we ever get Clark's address in Smallville? I mean, a mailing address at least? Anything?

How does that system work in small towns anyway? They don't have any streets (not counting the centre of the town) because from what I understood farms could be miles apart.

Also- in pre-Crisis comics there were about 5 different kinds of kryptonite. Other than the red and green, there was also blue, white, and gold. Can anyone tell me what effects they had on Clark? Also tell me if I forgot any colours. smile It's okay if I use those in a fic, right (or make up my own if none fit)? laugh

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
As far as I know, we were never given the Kent's mailing address. (Unless they showed the house number on the house at some point. I don't recall seeing that, but I could have easily missed it.)

As for how it works in general, I promise you there are streets. Even though farms are far apart, you have to take a street to get to the driveway. People don't just drive over fields. So they live on a street and have a regular address. The street may or may not have a name. It could be 316 Johnson Pond Rd. or just 316 RR 12 (RR stands for Rural Route). It's also possible that they live far enough out that there is no mail delivery. In that case, they still have a street address (in my make believe world here - 316 Johnson Pond Rd.) but they also have a mailing address - a post office box. So their mailing address would be something like P.O. Box 125 Smallville, KS.

Sorry, I can't be of any help on the kryptonite question, but for the record, it's always okay to create your own - that's the fun of writing your own story. smile

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
well, since annie took care of the address question so neatly, i'll handle the kryptonite one. smile

you got all the main colors, julie. nice job. smile i could never do that myself.

fortunately, i remembered enough to do a web search which came up with this page, which is part of the " superman enyclopedia ."

to sum up (and adding a detail or two from memory):

green - we all know what that does. pain, loss of powers, eventually death.

red - each chunk has a different unpredictable effect. effects are only temporary (thanks to this site for confirming my memory that the general time limit is 24-48 hours), and superman is immune to each piece after being exposed to it once.

gold - permanently removes all super powers. (was used on general zod and his cohorts in a pocket/alternate universe in which kryptonite had a different frequency, and thus didn't affect superman)

blue - affects only bizarros, who are immune to other types. (bizarro #1 was a failed copy of superman. he was later given a bizarro lois to make him happy, then a planet where his destructive nature wouldn't be a problem, and then that planet was populated by copies of bizarro superman and bizarro lois. my understanding is that kryptonians cannot be cloned, and that any clone who is produced will degrade into a bizarro)

white - affects only kryptonian plant life, in the same way that green k affects kryptonian animal life (such as superman, his cousin supergirl, and his dog krypto)

there was also crimson kryptonite, which was created by myxie and given to lex luthor. so long as it existed, superman had no powers, but, as was stated in myxie's terms, as soon as superman discovered its existance, it disappeared.

the second site i mentioned (the one that gave the time limit for the red k) has more extensive listings that also include:

anti-kryptonite - toxic/lethal to non-powered kryptonians.

x-kryptonite - only one chunk exists. it was accidentally created by supergirl when she was trying to create a cure for green k. aparantly, x-kryponite has the power to temporarily give kryptonian-like super powers to earth cats. this was the power source for supergirl's cat, who was a member of the legion of superpets . (according to that page, btw, the x-krptonite ended up in streaky the cat's yarn ball, so streaky's temporary powers were more or less constantly renewed without streaky or supergirl ever realizing where they'd come from. this leads me to mention one of the most useful phrases i've found when talking about silver age comics: "it's the comics. these things happen.")

(additional info about red k - according to this site, red k is created when green k passes through a "space cloud." <shrug>)

they've also got info about 3 other types of kryptonite, which i'll just paste directly in rather than summing up:

Jewel Kryptonite: Remnents of Krypton's Jewel Mountains, it allows Phantom Zone residents to focus their mental energy and cause explosions in the outside world.
Two notable fake varieties are Silver and Yellow K. Silver was used to keep Superman from closely investigating what turned out to be a 25th (silver) anniversary gift for him from his friends, and Yellow was used by Luthor to fake out what he thought was Superman. It turned out it was a Superman robot ordered to react to Kryptonite like the real thing. When Luthor found this out, he returned all the gold from Fort Knox which he'd stolen.

gotta love the silver age. <g>

i think that about covers it. hope it helps. smile

Paul
p.s. looking at the super pets page, i discovered that there were at least 2 other super animal groups. the space canine patrol agency (good old scpa...) and the space cat patrol agency (also the scpa... funny how both groups ended up with the same acronym, and so similar, too, to the acronym used by the society for the prevention of cruelty to animals... what are the odds?). both are briefly covered on this page. i know, it's got nothing to do with the question at hand, but i just had to share...

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks, Annie and Paul!

Annie, okay, now I feel kind of ridiculous for that assumption I made. Just shows how dangerous assumptions could be. smile blush

Paul, I didn't know there were so many! Though I will probably have to make up my own. I think all those could be useful to me too, though. smile

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?

(The X-Files)
Top Banana
Top Banana
Julie, it wasn't a ridiculous assumption. smile These thing vary from country to country. I had a friend who was a farmer's daughter, and her address was simply the name of the farm followed by the town to which it was nearest - then the county and postcode (the UK equivalent of zipcodes).

Yvonne

Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Do we ever find out how close Smallville is to Kansas City or Wichita? Where it is approximately located?

Julie smile

(The X-Files)
Merriwether
Merriwether
No exact location was ever given, but in TF, Miss Martha says that "it's four days' ride" to Kansas City (when Clark takes the injured Marshall Kent to a doctor). I *think* a day's ride back then was about 20 miles, so that would put Kansas City and Smallville about 80 miles apart, give or take.

As for Wichita, I can't recall the city being mentioned specifically on the show, but Wichita and KC are 190 miles apart. If Smallville were about 80 miles outside KC, then Wichita would be 100-150 miles away, depending on how far out of the direct traffic path Smallville was.

So, if you are looking for driving times, it would probably be safe to estimate about 90 minutes to get to the KC airport, and 2-3 hours to get to the Wichita airport.

Kathy

Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks! smile What I love most when writing about things we don't know much about is that I can abuse them all I want... LOL.

Julie

(The X-Files)

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard