Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#142867 01/08/04 11:30 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Contrary to what some posters might say. I've never actually had writer's block... I'm just lazy. wink

My definition of writer's block would be; being stumped as to what to write even though I feel like writing (the physical act). To me, if you can reach a point of 'wanting to' sit down and write, once you start, stuff happens. The ease of the flow of what you write might be radically different from time to time, but words will appear on the screen (page).

Back when I was writing, my biggest problem was just wanting to indulge in the physical act of writing. The fun part, which is the creative process, is all done mentally. The actual writing is work!

As far as how to work out plot problems and tweak your ideas. I used to get a lot of 'internal brainstorming' done while driving to and from work. If I was in the middle of a story and wanting to figure where I needed to go next,(or as some have said, figure out the bridge needed to get to the juicy part I knew was coming) I'd turn off the radio and let my mind wander.

The funny thing is... Often while I'm at work I'd be all jazzed up to get home and do some writing. I'd have some ideas that I thought would be great, or whatever, but once I was home, the mood would pass.

Basically I used to have to force myself to sit down and start writing. Sometimes I would get on a roll and produce quite a nice chunk. Other times it would come much more slowly. The true 'block' was just getting myself to sit down in front of the screen.

Tank (who says that he is glad that he doesn't have to deal with those issues anymore)

#142868 01/09/04 09:07 AM
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
I guess what I'm really curious about is why I seem to have gone so quiet. That's what all of the above ramble boils down to. Inside my head- it's just me, no voices. (Does that sound crazy, or do you writer types know what I mean?) Like I look inside, and there's nothing- just tumbleweeds and the sound of the whistling wind.
CC, I don't have any great insights for you. I can only say that I'm out there in the fields with the same tumbleweeds and whistling winds.

The voices aren't talking to me and playing out the story the way the have in the past. And I hate it because the story is there, a lot of it typed out, and the characters and the scenes just sit there. And even when I sit in front of the screen and try to type something out, they are silent, not even egging me on.

I've written a short fic which used an idea I had in the longer fic hoping that would help, but I'm still not hearing the voices.

My BR, ML, sent me some ideas and it's helped a bit, but the basic problem is that the voices don't want to help me.

And I want them back because they've been such good friends. I miss them, and wonder when (and if) they will ever come back.

gerry

#142869 01/09/04 09:37 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, I don't know how this would work... but why don't you try shocking them back to life? goofy Start writing the stupidest, most out-of-character stuff you can think of, and see if they don't come running back to set you straight on what they'd really do.

And for me, when the characters get quiet, it's usually because I'm trying to push them where they don't want to go. So I have to review my whole plot to see if there's something off-kilter.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#142870 01/09/04 09:47 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
First of all, do you know how nice it is to know that other people out there hear voices?

(Other not-crazy people, that is.)

And gerry, I know just exactly what you mean. All the noise in my head for so long and then this hush...it's weird and even a bit lonely.

However, for me, Pam (hope your cold is better, btw) hit it right on the head. I have this fic and Lois has been sitting in this one spot for weeks and weeks and I just can not budge her. She won't move. She won't let on what she's supposed to do next, etc... I invented all kinds of things for our girl to jump up and tackle- she's not the sitting around type. Nothing.

In desperation I sent the lot of it to my BR, told her I just wanted Lois moved and would take whatever ideas she could give me.

She read it through, thought it out, said, "There's no place for Lois to go."

So simple and so true. Lois isn't moving because in this story in this part she isn't supposed to.

I was trying to force her and she wouldn't go. Once I got that into my head, I could "hear" again.

So, for me, the quiet meant I was on the wrong track.

Still really enjoying all the comments here. I never had anyone to talk to about the voices, you know, unless I wanted to be looked at funny!

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard