Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KathyB Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
Hi all,

I've been trying to assemble some stats for the Kerth Committee, showing how various numbers have changed over the years (number of eligible stories, number of categories, etc.) and right now I'm trying to track down lists of "New Authors" for years past.

Last year (2003 Kerths) we had 46 authors eligible for "Best New Author" (authors who first released their stories in 2002). Has anyone, by any chance, been keeping lists of this, and have those counts for years before last year?

Erin's been digging through her hard drive, trying to find other numbers for me, but I thought someone else might be able to help with this one.

Also, if there are other "stats" you think it would be fun to keep, please let us know. I can't promise we'll be able to compile the info, but I think it's fun to see how things have changed over the years, now that we are getting ready for the Seventh Annual Kerth Awards! smile

Kathy

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Kathy,

I dug this information out to answer your post on the fic list, but thought some people here might also like to see it. After the ceremony last year, Kaethel did some counting of winner/nominee stats, and here's that information: in last year's Kerths, out of 21 categories, the Kerth Awards were spread between 21 different stories (counting the tie and the various stories featuring in each winning series) by 13 different authors, 5 of whom had never won before.

Earlier, I also did some counting and calculations on the shortlist, and here's that information, which I posted in a couple of places at the time:

Second, I've done some counting - yeah, numbers, bad idea - and if my calculations are right, the following is true this year:

- we have 89 different stories nominated out of 108 slots. Now that's what I call really broad coverage! I make that more than 25% of stories written this year.

- there are 40 different authors nominated across the full shortlist - that's a terrific spread, and it's a huge compliment to the talent of authors this year.

- I can see two established writers nominated for the first time this year - CONGRATULATIONS, Paul and Jill! Paul, I don't know why you're so shocked; you wrote some really terrific stories. smile smile

- no fewer than thirteen stories on the shortlist are by authors new this year - that's almost 15% of the stories on the shortlist!
CONGRATULATIONS, AnnieM, Barb, Kaylle, Richard Frantz Jr, NiteMar and SQD! smile smile smile
Anyway, I'd find more of this kind of information interesting! thumbsup

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I posted this on the fic list, but I thought I'd post it here too:

Alas, I'm much better at digging up old quizzes than old statistics. smile I can tell you that there were approximately 45 new authors eligible for the 2002 Kerths, who had first published stories in 2001. I cite this from my BNA quiz, dated January 10th, 2002:

Here is Kerth Quiz #4: Best New Author. Even now, years after LnC went off the air, FoLCdom is still attracting new authors with fresh, marvelous talent. Ain't it grand? smile This category is our way of giving our newest contributors an extra opportunity to win some well-deserved recognition for their efforts. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Three cheers for FoLCdom, the friendliest, most supportive, and most encouraging fandom on the internet!

As I did last year, I arbitrarily stopped this quiz at fifteen entries. This does not imply that the other thirty (!) new authors that are *not* on this quiz are any less worthy of nomination!
I have no idea what the numbers are this year. Stats aren't my forte. I'll stick to filks. wink And, naturally, quizzes. laugh I will mention that the archive continues to have wonderfully diverse fics; by the time Meredith and I (and Cindy and Laura) finished posting all the Kerth quizzes, we'd used just about every single story over 50K that was eligible on the archive -- and, of course, most of those below 50K too. And that doesn't even include those that were recommended in addition to the quizzes! I think that also shows that while the Kerth categories do need occasional tweaking, our K-Comm is doing a marvelous job of covering all the bases and allowing most good fics to get their moments in the spotlight. smile1

Hazel, who has Best Comedy Quiz all ready to go for January 1st goofy

Lois: You know the deal.
Clark: Superman gets the guys in capes, Lois and Clark get the guys in suits.

-- Action Comics 827
KathyB Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
This is exactly what I needed, Hazel, thank you!

And Wendy, thanks for reposting that info ... that was going to be the next thing I looked up, that old post of yours. I agree, it's fascinating stuff! I was so delighted when you took the time to compile it last year and I hope we can continue to come up with interesting "tidbits" like this going forward. smile

Thanks for the help!

Kathy

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard