Next Thread
Print Thread
#142169 11/09/03 10:08 AM
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Hey all thumbsup

I'm fine tuning a fanfic A-plot, and I need to know some more about smuggling things INTO the U.S. by boat.

First of all, I'm assuming this is done (or tried) or more than just the rare occasion, isn't it?

Secondly, where do people try to get things smuggled into the country? Is there a particularly popular location? (ex: Florida, eastern seaboard, western seaboard, etc.) And how do these things get by customs? Are customs tighter in some areas? What's involved with "going through customs"? Does anyone know? (Okay, that was a whole lot more questions than indicated by "secondly." laugh )

Thirdly, what seems to be a popular item to smuggle in? Diamonds and other gems? Workers (illegal immigrants)? (I seem to remember in the episode where Harlan [sp?] of the Men's club lost Perry's money in bonds. Wasn't he smuggling in Chinese workers for some kind of work? Does anyone remember what kind of work he was having them do? Something in a factory or something?)

Any help you guys could give me would be GREAT. The A-plot I have right now is a bit rough, so I'm hoping to gather some details to make it a bit more workable.

THANK YOU!!! smile

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~
#142170 11/09/03 11:13 AM
Columnist
Columnist
I can't help you with the 'how to smuggle' question, but there have been a couple of nasty cases in the news recently of Asian women being smuggled into Canada to work in the sex trade. frown

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
#142171 11/09/03 11:48 AM
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Hi Erin: The shared waters between Canada and Washington state are popular ones for smuggling. There are many small islands, some uninhabited. A private boat can wend its way from island to islnd, and customs docks exist only on one or two of them. When one does land at a cutoms dock, the officials have a form to be filled out, and whether or not they search the boat depends on how suspicious the travelers are or what the officials have information to look for. I suspect in post 9-11 days, they are more careful, but it would be quite easy for a sailboat from foreign waters to anchor, undetected, ostensibly to lay-to for the night, in an out of the way cove and offload a cargo to be later picked up by a domestic boat, especially if they didn't linger too long in the area. Sailboats have been used to smuggle marijuana and other drugs. I would guess that explosives or small numbers of people could be handled the same way.

It was in Chi of Steel that the villain was smuggling in Chinese to work in his sweatshop factories.

Hope this helps.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
#142172 11/09/03 08:42 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
i've heard that there is a fair amount of illegal traffic in and out of florida. there's a lot of coastline there, and it's close to the carribean, which makes a good international way station (a lot of traffic in and out of the area, pretty much every island is a different country - some privately owned, and some of them have rather slack harbor patrols).

as for methods, it's just a matter of avoiding the coast gaurd, which only has so many patrol ships to deal with quite a large expanse of ocean and an awful lot of boats.

i read a book by diane duane a while back that dealt tangentially with smugglers. iirc, the way it worked was this:

small, inconspicuous private boat (preferably something known to have a relatively limited range) goes out from the florida coast, presumably for pleasure or sport fishing or something. way too many other boats like it out there for anyone to notice it or bother with it. boat goes out to a quiet stretch of ocean where no one has a particular reason to go but no particular reason not to. preferably, this would be in international waters (though according to an article on their website the coast guard does patrol in international waters, i'd think those patrols would not be as heavy as they would be closer in, particularly with so much area to cover) which aren't that far from the coast. another boat, this one from the carribean, happens by. goods are transferred. the two boats move apart. first boat goes back to florida to be offloaded. depending on the particulars, the second one either wanders off or continues with the rest of its cargo (which happens to be legitimate) into port.

so, that's one possible scheme which, supposedly, is actually relatively common. i think i may have seen it in a couple movies, too. of course it's also possible to simply stash things among legitimate cargo (hidden, mislabled, whatever) and assume that those boxes won't be found/checked/discovered.

as for what... it could be anything. people (immigrants, workers, slaves), drugs, guns (probably mostly handguns), gems (probably uncut), or just general merchendise to be brought in without taxes and/or to be sold on the black market (perhaps knock-offs of expensive items like watches, perfume, designer clothing, or electronics).

the coast guard's website talks mainly about people (illegal immigrants, but that could cover a wide range) and drugs . there's also this page which has statistics about illegal immigrants (how many were caught each year, from where, etc).

a search for the definition of international waters (still can't find the exact distance. thought it should be easy... oh well) turned up this page about illegal human traffic (i.e. smuggling in people for whatever reason).

there's also the us customs & boarder proection homepage. that may be handy at some point, but i haven't found anything offhand.

hope this helps.

guess that leaves only one thing...

dance erin's writing!! dance dance

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#142173 11/10/03 08:10 AM
ErinK Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
You guys...THANK YOU!!! Your answers helped more than you could possible know. clap

Off to apply all these new details...

~~Erin

I often feel sorry for people who don't read good books; they are missing a chance to lead an extra life. ~ Scott Corbett ~

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard