Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#141878 10/12/03 05:56 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I did a few searches on google and the like, but the results aren't very useful. Furthermore, it's a bit scary searching for information about guns on the internet - who knows what or who you might bump up against.

So I'm turning to our trusty fandom. smile I just need to know about the firing mechanism: you pull the trigger, which forces the firing pin against the bullet, which then hurtles out of the barrel? Or is there more to it than that? And how do bullet casings come into all of this?

In case you haven't already guessed, I'm trying to figure out how Jefferson Cole could have rigged the gun to fire without Lois pulling the trigger (in The People vs Lois Lane).

Thanks!

Yvonne

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Some of the links on this website might give you what you're looking for, Yvonne.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
I think I can help you, Yvonne. My hubby was in the Army and is an engineer as well, and was able to explain the mechanism of a handgun to me. This information is quoted exactly from him. He tailored it to the fact that the handgun Lois is holding in the episode is a semiautomatic.

When you pull the trigger of a gun, a leverage mechanism raises the hammer. At a certain amount of pull, the leverage mechanism drops off of the hammer and the hammer is released.

When the hammer is released, a spring propels the hammer forward. In modern firearms, the hammer hits the firing pin (which is a part of the gun).

The firing pin is pressed forward at high speed and strikes the primer cap on the end of the metallic cartridge case. The primer cap is filled with a very sensitive explosive (probably fulminate of mercury, unless they've changed it to something else in the last few years). The fulminate of mercury explodes, is vented through a small hole into the main powder charge, causing it to ignite, which causes the bullet to be forced out the barrel. The blow-back mechanism causes the slide to move backwards and eject the cartridge, which then is thrown out of the right side of the gun and falls to the ground.

I hope this information is helpful.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
D
Blogger
Blogger
D
To add on to Nan's reply, Mercury fulminate - and most other primer powders that I know of - can be ignited with an electrical current or spark as well. That's how some blasting caps work.

Looking forward to the story.

Frank

Monolithic biavicide ......... Killing two birds with one stone
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
That's perfect, Nan and Frank. smile And those links look useful, Rat, although the most useful one (internal ballistics) doesn't work. frown

I can't quite get my head around the internal workings yet (not sure why the hammer is raised and then shoots forward, when surely something which is raised ought to fall back down again), but it doesn't really matter. I have enough to devise a sneaky way of firing the gun. smile

Yvonne

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
The hammer is pulled back by a leverage mechanism when you pull the trigger. When it reaches a certain point, the mechanism releases the hammer. The hammer is attached to a spring mechanism which springs back when the hammer is released, pulling the hammer back to its original position. I hope that makes it clearer. If you have a spring and pull it out, it goes back to the way it was as soon as you let it go. Does that help?

Nan

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
the exact arrangement of the hammer changes from gun to gun, i believe. in an older gun, like a revolver, it's cocked by manually pulling it back (but since it moves in an arc, that also means that it goes up), then released when you pull the trigger (so it swings down and forwards).

other guns have a hammer that slides back and forth horizontally on the end of a spring.

basically, the hammer will move differently and be shaped differently, depending on the design of the gun, allowing for different types of bullets, different firing rates, etc.

the basic mechanism is the same, though, in just about any modern gun -- something hits the back of the bullet. as some people at camp discovered when they stole a bullet from the riflery range (we got to shoot cans with bb guns once a week, but they also had a real rifle for the adults), you don't even need to hit it with anything special. they hit the back of the bullet with a real hammer, and it worked just fine. well enough that the kid who happened to be standing in the wrong place (a few feet away) at the wrong time got his ear pierced.

personally, i've always figured that it was the bullet that was rigged rather than the gun. a small electric charge should set off the bullet just as well as a physical blow.

so, a quick review of bullet design...

at the front, you have a metal cone. that's what is actually launched. behind the cone, you have a cylinder full of gunpowder. the far end of the cylinder is, of course, a circle. that's the back of the bullet. inside the circle is a smaller circle which is the end of a small blasting cap (a little metal can filled with something that will explode fairly easily when you hit it or run a spark through it).

when that little cap explodes, it sets off the gunpowder, which results in a larger explosion that forces the bullet (or at least the front of the bullet, depending on the bullet's design) out through the barrel of the gun. since the barrel is fairly small, the air pressure after the explosion remains fairly high as the bullet travels down the barrel. as long as the bullet is still in the barrel, it's still being pushed by the pressure of the explosion, and is thus accelerating (which is why a gun with a longer barrel will shoot a bullet farther than a gun with a short barrel).

so, to set off a gun remotely, all you need to do is set off that little blasting cap (it probably has a name, but i don't know it offhand) at the back of the bullet. you can either rig the gun with some kind of motor that will pull the hammer back and make it hit the bullet or, far easier, you could set the bullet off with a spark.

now, if you have a radio signal, any capacitor set with the distance between the plates equal to the wavelength of the signal will pick up that signal and convert it to an electric current. that's how most radios work. when you adjust the dial, you're changing the distance between the plates, thus changing the wavelentgh you're picking up. (more info on basic radio recievers can be found here. )

so, if you had a remote that would send out a single radio pulse at a preset wavelength, and you had something on the back of the bullet (inside the blasting cap or directly attached to it) that had a radio reciever set to pick up that exact wavelength, and the remote was near enough and powerful enough, you'd have a spark in the right place powerful enough to set off the bullet. it just takes a bit of work to put it in place, and all the parts are readily available at, say, radio shack.

you could either do that to a single bullet (bury the reciever inside the bullet, inside the blasting cap, or on the back of the bullet) or you could replace the hammer of the gun with the transistor set-up.

press the button, send out the signal, and zap! bang! off goes the bullet!

hope that helps.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Wow, Paul! I'm impressed with your explanation. Did you by any chance work with 007?

As for pulling the hammer back, before automatic weapons, revolvers came two ways: single action and double action. In single action handguns, like the old Peacemaker Colt 45, you had to manually pull the hammer back and then pull the trigger or the gun wouldn't fire. I know they didn't show it that way in Weaterns and TV shows, but that's the way it really was. In double action revolvers, such as today's police .32 the double action refers to the fact that a pull of the trigger does double duty, cocking the hammer and releasing it to fire the weapon.

Hope that helps.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
There are also semiautomatics that are single action. The Llama .380 is a single action. You have to cock it for the first shot. It cocks itself for subsequent shots. The one that Lois was holding in the episode in question, however, was apparently a double action semiautomatic, because it wasn't cocked when she was holding it. I went back and checked the tape to be sure.

Nan

Top Banana
Top Banana
Not to start a scary political debate here (there's plenty of places for that in other less happy websites!), but I've being doing some general research about guns for a story I'm working on. And I have to tell you that I find it absolutely terrifying the proliferation of websites out there dedicated to all-things-guns. Info about guns, opinions about gun control both for and against, places where you can buy them at "low low prices"! It really, truly frightens me.

I'm all for freedom of speech and low regulation of the internet, but I just gotta wonder about the general mentality that puts so much of this stuff out there. frown

OK, little personal rant done. Back to happy, feel-good Lois and Clark lovin! smile

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard