Print Thread
#141808 10/03/03 07:39 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was trying to delete a couple of posts Marilyn had edited to blank - just in an excess of super tidiness.

As I now can't find it though, I have to conclude that I've accidentally somehow managed to delete not just the posts in question but the entire thread.

A thousand apologies!!! blush

I'll try and see if by any chance it had been saved and if it can be restored.

Again...sorry!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#141809 10/05/03 05:38 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
As it happens, name deleted fwd the original emails she sent you for your story with her GEs edit sheet. They were still in her records. As you can see from these below, they wholly support her version of events (plus the recollection of myself and other GEs) and wholly contradict your own.
Pardon me for the fuss I caused with what I thought was an innocent post. The point I intended to make was that there are differences between the US and UK in certain punctuations. I got my rules mixed up. Offense was taken, I tried to apologize and offended even more. My error was pointed out to me as shown above and I concede defeat. I won't be posting anymore since my simplest comments are interpreted as polemical.

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
#141810 10/05/03 09:35 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thank you for your apology, Marilyn. I'm sure that the GE at the heart of this matter will thank you for it, too. smile

If I may, I would just like to correct a slight error in your post here:

I tried to apologize and offended even more.
This is the first apology I've received from you on the GE's behalf. Had you offered such an apology during our private email discussion on this subject, I have no doubt that it would have been immediately accepted by the GE in question. However, I also believe that of more importance to this GE than any apology was that the factual inaccuracies in your original post be corrected.

I don't believe that you posted in anything other than an innocent fashion and that there was malice intended in what you posted. It was clear to me in our discussion that you wholeheartedly and sincerely believed that you remembered the edits made by this particular GE clearly and precisely.

Unfortunately, there didn't need to be an intention to distress to cause enormous hurt for the person you misrepresented in your post, which was factually incorrect. As the evidence subsequently sent to you proves. However, we all make mistakes, and as I suggested to you previously, sometimes the most real of memories plays us false. It happens. To all of us at one time or another.

At the time, before being presented with the evidence, you didn't accept this argument and insisted that your facts were wholly correct. That is your perogative, of course. But it did mean that to resolve the matter we had to present you with evidence to show that your belief in your recollection was misplaced.

I believe that as EIC of the Archive I have a responsiblity to act on the behalf of a GE who is hurt by someone posting to a public forum telling the world that she did A, B and C, when she knows that A, B and C never happened and when she asks me to. Especially when A, B and C would be a slightly dumb thing to do for a GE. (EDIT to clarify this and thanks to Marilyn for making me realise it needs tying down. smile ) The GE in question was unable to deal with this timeously herself because of pressing real life commitments. She did, however, want the inaccuracies in the original post corrected ASAP as they were a source of some embarrassment to her.

We all know what trouble lack of accuracy in reporting causes. wink I apologise if you feel that you've been badly treated over this matter. But I believe that the inaccuracies in your original post - no matter how innocently intended - demanded correction. I don't believe that this was unreasonable in the circumstances.

I now consider this matter closed and hope that you do likewise. smile Regardless, if you wish to discuss it any further, I would suggest that as it's of no further interest to anyone but the parties involved, that any future discussions be kept to private email, where they began.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#141811 10/06/03 02:55 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
You should have stopped at "thank you." The GE should have contacted me in the first place AND included the emails. I should have known better than to be here period. wink

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. How about I should have remembered all the things I read in HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE and THE SEVEN HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE? smile

Marilyn
Check out our blog at www.writingplayground.blogspot.com
#141812 10/07/03 03:53 AM
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
I am sorry to post when this topic should be dead, but I wanted to say how upset I was just reading this whole discussion. I can't even imagine how the GE in question is feeling.

Marilyn, I, for one, think you are way out of line. You really hurt someone who has never done anything to you and you aren't even showing any remorse. You say that you were corrected for your mistake not that you were sorry for allowing the issue to blow up to really hurt someone's feelings and smear her public image.

The error that you pointed out makes the GE look really stupid -- and we all know that she isn't, that she wouldn't make such a mistake. And what's more, you make her seem spineless because she didn't contact you with the original emails -- some people have busy RLs and can't be bothered with something so stressful in their hobby when their RL is already stressful! Even if your post was taken as trying to rekindle some kind of war, why would it be against this certain GE? She has never done anything to hurt anyone! That's why it seemed like an unwarrented personal attack.

I think it's great that you resolved it in private, but I really think you owe it to the GE to apologize publicly. Your origional post could have really hurt her reputation and made people question her knowledge of the English language -- when we all know that she is a great GE and a great beta reader.

I will be the first to say that I would like her to GE any of my stories smile .

- Laura

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
#141813 10/07/03 04:41 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm going to close this topic, guys. I'm not in any way criticising people who have posted here, and I appreciate that there have been hurt feelings all round. But, once the initial public criticism of someone who could be identified was rescinded, which Marilyn did, I think this became a private matter between the parties concerned and the EIC. And, while the boards admins would hate to appear to be silencing discussion, I don't think there's anything to be gained by further discussion on this topic.

Wendy smile
Boards Administrator

Just a fly-by! *waves*

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard