Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Here it is wink

A classic... and I hope it hasn't been posted before wink

It was at that moment that she saw her partner's expression change. He
turned his head toward the windows of the room that overlooked the street
in front of the Daily Planet, and carefully lowered his glasses just far
enough to look over them. She frowned. Why did Clark do that?

On impulse she went to the windows and looked out. Clark followed, perforce.

It was past one a.m. The air was misty, with early morning fog blurring
the yellow light of the street lamps, and for a moment she saw nothing.
Then a flicker of motion caught her eye.

There were men down there--men in the gear of SWAT officers. Somehow Clark
had known they were there, but how? She had been aware for some time that
his hearing was acute, but that acute? It was impossible. Nobody had
hearing like that.

Except Superman. The thought popped unbidden into her mind.
Jose wave

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
recognized it instantly, then looked it up just to check wink -- this is "A Night at the Office" by Nan Smith.

This one's a bit different...

"Do you want some coffee?" asked Lois finally, seeing that Clark made no further move towards her.

Clark agreed readily and seated himself on the sofa where Lois indicated, setting his certificate on the coffee table. Lois put the coffee on to brew and then came back and sat beside him. Clark cleared his throat a little nervously, intending to try once again to broach the subject of Lois's mystifying anger towards him in the last few months.

"Help!"

Clark raised his head, groaning inwardly. What a time for someone to cry for Superman. If he left right now, Lois was going to be mad at him again. He glanced at her to find that she was watching him intently.

"Go," she said.

What?

"Go," she repeated.

"Go?" said Clark, stammering a little in his confusion.

"Yes, *go*," Lois said, rising to her feet and tugging at his arm, which was slack with surprise. "Return the video or the overdue library book or buy your mint toothpaste or get your story notes from the taxi or find your lucky pen . . . ." She ushered him towards the door, ignoring his wordless look of inquiry. ". . . or visit your friend's mother's brother's uncle's daughter who's been lying in the hospital with pneumonia since Tuesday . . . ." She practically thrust him out the door, giving him a shove as he still stood staring slack-jawed. ". . . but come back when you're through," she finished, smiling cheekily at him. "I'll save some coffee for you." She touched his jaw lightly with the tips of her fingers before she closed the door, leaving him alone in the hall.
PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
hmm, perhaps a hint is in order...

This is a story that was originally posted to Zoom's message boards about a year and a half ago, but it's never made it to the archive. The author has won a Kerth for a previous story.

PJ smile

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have no idea who this is. If it's possible, could you pass a message along to the author? The message is: Get Thee to the Archive, ASAP. I would love to read this!!

- Vicki

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
daneel Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Pam!!!! shock

It's not in the archive!!!

I thought the story should be there :p

Jose peep

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I don't think the rules said anything about the archive... wink

Well, if no one recognizes it, I'll 'fess up, and either way I'll post a link -- it *is* available on Zoom's boards (hint: look around April of '02 wink ). I love this story <g>

PJ

"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just a guess, Pam, and I haven't been to the old MBs to check it out: it's not Shadowfax's Henry Higgins' Head, by any chance, is it? confused

(And, if you're reading this, Shadowfax, why on earth did you never send that to the Archive??? wildguy wildguy )

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
If it is Henry Higgin's Head, I can't find it, and the TOC link doesn't work. Where are all the stories in that section of time?

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Columnist
Columnist
Found it! Page 16 of Fanfic Archive no. 2 on Zoom's boards. Henry Higgins Head by Shadowfax.

New quote:

Her voice came to an abrupt halt when something clicked in
Lois' mind. As if someone had suddenly flicked a switch, light
flooded into Lois' previously clouded mind. She began almost
gasping for air as the pieces of the puzzle began tumbling into
place with amazing speed. And it all suddenly made sense. In
fact, it was the only thing that did.

"You can cut it down to two choices," she began softly,
although speaking to him, addressing herself more. "Superman
doesn't think I would love him as an ordinary man - an ordinary
man I've already met and rejected... You both tell me you love
me using the same words... I've never seen you together, but
you're supposed to be friends... You're always able to get in
touch with him... And that stupid disappearing act of yours...
Omigod," Lois finally gasped.
This should be an easy one to figure out.

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Blogger
Blogger
Ha! Found it. I knew I'd just read it recently. It's Midnight Gambit by M.L. Thompson.

Okay, here's one with a bit of a twist:

"Clark, come here!"

He rolled his eyes. She pointed at precisely where she wanted him, right there in front of her. She was trying to look serious but having to push her hair out of her face, uselessly, didn't help her case much. Until she said her piece or he picked her up bodily, he knew that there was nothing he could do to convince her to move on her own. He paced back and looked up; she was about half a head higher. "Lois, what *do* you want?" other than to take the high ground, he thought, which isn't such a good idea with all this lightning.

"I want you!"

"Me? I'm right here!"

"Yes! I *know* that and I love you madly, too! Now is it Superman who still hasn't figured that out," she pulled his glasses off his face, "Or you, Clark?"

Thunder, and then the rain broke though in fat, furious drops.

The fence post loomed again, but he ducked it this time, covering his surprise and confusion with a frown, one actually aimed (when he thought about it later) entirely at himself. "I knew it, I knew you knew!"

Blogger
Blogger
Hmm. Didn't think this would be too hard. grumble
Are you all just busy with other stuff or do you want a clue? dizzy

Top Banana
Top Banana
Oooh! I recognised this one immediately (sorry, Terry, been away from the thread for a few days blush ). It's Dawning 9 - Daybreak or Call to the Mild, by Debby Stark. smile

Next cluechie:

She ran a hand through her hair to try to tame it, tugged her robe tighter, and walked back the hall to her bedroom. Superman was still there, which she supposed was good, but he was restless, twitching a bit in place, and muttering to himself in his sleep. She leaned against the door jamb, frowning, and once again debated the wisdom of trying to medicate him.

As she stood there, some of his mutterings became clearer, and she listened with half an ear until one phrase brought her up short. Did he just say, "Mom, I got the job!"? It had sure sounded like it.

Funny, she'd never given much thought to the possibility of Superman having a mother, although she supposed there was no reason to think that he didn't have one -- and she remembered now, the first time she'd seen him, he had mentioned a mother; something to do with his costume. She'd been so much in shock at the time, that it hadn't registered. So that covered the mom part -- but a job?

Well, she thought whimsically, maybe he'd been back on Krypton, reading the classifieds, and had come across an ad taken out by the Intergalactic Peace Corps. "Needed: One Superhero for a picturesque, out-of-the-way planet called Earth...."

As she continued to listen, bits and fragments of words and phrases washed past her. Something about Perry, it sounded like, and Dr. Platt? No, surely she was imagining that, Superman hadn't even been around then ... the sound of her name caught her attention.

"Lo-Lois in trouble, gotta help ... Put down those guns or I'll ... Stupid, Clark, stupid!"

He sounded quite vituperative on that last phrase, which startled her. She'd always thought that Superman and Clark were friends ... although come to think of it, had she ever seen them together? Well, that didn't prove anything, Clark had never seen *her* with Superman either ... hey, wait a minute....

She sank to a chair, her eyes unfocusing, as the pieces of the puzzle began to fit themselves together with startling rapidity. Of course, it all seemed so obvious now. "Stupid, Lois, stupid," she muttered to herself. She gazed ruefully over to where Clark was lying on the bed -- lying being the operative word. So handsome, so strong ... and with so little time to live. "Hurry up and get better, you," she muttered, "so I can kill you."
Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Blogger
Blogger
hyper Ooh, I love this one and just reread it yesterday! It's Pam Jernigan's "Blind Leading the Blind".

Okay, here's another one of my favorites:

Lois had stiffened slowly as she tried to comprehend what Clark was telling her. Anger was rising within her, blotting out her craving for his touch. How could Clark be doing this to her? Did he think it was funny to mock her pain with this ridiculous story?

She drew herself up, and his hands dropped away from her. Ignoring the sudden chill at the loss of contact, she spun to face him. "Don't be ridiculous, Clark!" she snapped. "I think I know the difference between you and..."

Her voice died in her throat. He was standing a step below her, and his face was nearly on a level with hers. It was white and apprehensive... and totally serious.

"Do you, Lois?" he said when she didn't continue. "What's the difference between me and Superman?"

Top Banana
Top Banana
I know! Wow, I know one!

This is Pam's Blind Leading The Blind. Cute story. smile

Hope this one hasn't been used already...

Where were we?" asked Clark.

"You were going to tell me what you meant about having a plan that
would allow you to stay in Metropolis," Lois informed him.

"Right," Clark said, taking the other chair at the table. He sat
there for a moment before getting up again. "Would you like something
to drink?" he asked.

"Clark."

"Cause I could make some coffee or something."

"Clark."

Clark stopped and looked at her. He swallowed hard, trying to figure
out where to begin. "Well... Umm... I know I seem to be delaying. I'm
sorry, it's just that I've never told anyone this before." He cleared
his throat. "I guess the place to start is with my natural parents. I
never knew them. I don't know where I came from or anything about
them."

"So you were adopted?" Lois asked. She thought this was a long way
back to start, but if it made him comfortable to start there, she'd go
along with it. She just hoped he'd get to the point soon.

Features Writer
Features Writer
I haven't had a chance to visit the boards for about a week, and now I see that both Yvonne and Terry posted new questions at about the same time, so I can give two answers for the price of one. I like that... smile

Terry's was Meredith 's fantastic Night Errant, and Yvonne's was ML's excellent Cause & Effect. Both stories I love!

OK, here's the revelation from one of my all-time favorite stories...

"But Dr. Klein told me that Superman had found that latex," she said.

Clark stopped. Wasn't that what he had said? He thought back. Oh no! In his excitement about piecing together the case, he'd slipped and admitted that he had been the one to find the latex. "Uh... I mean, I was with him... err, he gave... told me..." he stammered. What was he going to do? She'd caught his mistake right away. "Um..." And now he couldn't think of a way out of this one!

Lois jumped on his hesitation, running down a laundry list of the incriminating evidence he'd just given her. "He couldn't have given it to you, and you couldn't have been with him. Dr. Klein said that Superman had found it last week. You weren't even in the country last week!" The story forgotten, Lois stood up and walked over to him. She was now looking at him strangely, almost as if she was seeing him for the first time. Slowly, she reached a hand up to his head, running her palm along his forehead and straight back, effectively flattening his hair along the way. Then with the other hand, she reached up and took his glasses from his face.

Clark stood there helplessly, unable to move. He felt as if the entire experience was beyond his control, and all he could do was wait for her reaction. He could feel the hand on his head trembling as understanding dawned in her eyes. That look only lasted a moment, though, before it was replaced with cold hostility.

One word was all she said, but one word was all she needed. "Superman." Her tone was low and accusatory.
Kathy smile

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5
daneel Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
A Love Well Worth the Wait by Tracey hyper

brb with a quote...

“Lois, the reason that Superman flies in and out of my apartment on a regular basis is... is that *I’m* Superman,” he gasped on a single breath.

He watched her intently, anxious to read her reactions to his confession. She simply stared slackly at him. “You’re...?” He watched her run her eyes over his face, then down his body and back up again. “Where’s the suit?” she demanded, her features hardening.

The suit? He’d confessed his ultimate secret to her and all she wanted to know was where he kept the suit? “It’s underneath my clothes,” he answered. “But-“

“Under your clothes?” She shook her head slowly; incredulously. “Is that the best you can do? What about the boots? And the cape? Where do you keep those?”

He shifted uncomfortably. The truth was, he wasn’t too sure himself how exactly that worked. He just swapped back and forth between the two sets of clothes and somehow the boots and the cape always appeared right on cue. “It’s difficult to explain,” he began. “They-“

“I’ll bet it’s difficult to explain!” she retorted. “Why are you doing this, Clark? Why not just tell me the truth? – it can’t be any worse than this rubbish!”

“I am telling you the truth!” he exclaimed. “I’ve been telling you the truth all along, but for some reason you never want to believe me!” He placed his hands at her waist and gently levitated them off the floor. “Believe this, Lois,” he murmured.

At first, her face registered shock. Then fright – she glanced down to the floor and then back to him in alarm, grabbing at his arms quickly. He adjusted his hold on her so that he was hugging her close to his body. “It’s okay, Lois, I’ve got you,” he reassured.
Jose wave

Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Better Out Than In by Yvonne Connell.

Back in a little while with a quote.

Nan

Okay, finally back. Hope this one hasn't been given before.

Too nervous to face him as she spoke, she turned her back and started to wander about his spacious living-room. She paused in front of his well-stocked bookshelves, as much as a delaying tactic as searching for inspiration. <Say something, Clark! Help me out here!>

As she began to speak again, she noticed a book on his shelf, one she would never have imagined Clark reading. Pulling out Nancy Friday's 'Women's Sexual Fantasies,' she turned to Clark and asked him, "How come you have this?"

Clearly he saw the question as a non-sequitur, for he blinked for a moment. Then he flushed when he saw which book she was holding. "Oh, that," he muttered. "It was a present," he added more firmly. "From a very old and very close friend."

Lois's breath caught in her throat as she suddenly felt time appear to movein slow motion. She swung back to Clark's bookshelves, suddenly noticing lots of other old friends there... Austen, Dickens, O. Henry, 'An Evil Cradling,' 'The Time Machine'... it could be a coincidence, but now she was very sure it wasn't.

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Blogger
Blogger
Ooh, I didn't even need to check the archive for this one. It's Wendy Richards' "The Penfriend".

Okay, here's another (it's getting really hard to find one that hasn't already been used!)

"May I help you, Ms....?" Clark asked.

"Yes...Mr. Kent?"

"Yes, I'm Clark Kent."

She glanced around while he made a move to get her a chair. She noticed Lois paying attention to them and asked "Could we go somewhere private?"

Clark stopped in mid-chair offer.

"Sure," and he gestured toward the conference room.

She moved swiftly toward it and opened the door herself even though Clark tried to open it for her. He caught the door as she stepped inside quickly and sat down.

"What can I do for you?" he asked as he closed the glass door behind him.

"You had better sit, too!" she said seriously.

Clark could feel a tingle of anticipation as he sat down across from her at the conference table. If she was a source, he thought, what she had to say could be big news.

She took a deep breath and began. "I'm ****** *****."

"Nice to meet you, Ms. *****." He offered his hand and she shook it with more strength than he expected from a woman her size. "And what can I do..."

"I know you are Superman," she stated.

He fought the instinct to show the surprise he felt. He was caught off guard. Before panic could set in, he tried to sound convincing.

"No...you're mistaken." Clark thought he had quashed all doubts with his mother's hologram performance after the Top Copy incident.

"Sorry, I'm not. I am, however, psychic."

Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
That's Psychic by Carolyn Schnall But I've run out of revelations, so someone else can go.

Imagine.
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Here's one that I think may actually not have been used yet.

Suddenly she froze. Something was coming towards her. It
was a brownish, greyish blur, hovering just above the
ground. She glanced around desperately, but there were no
doors, just blank white walls on both sides. Gulping, she
flattened herself against one wall, hoping that whatever it
was would simply pass her by. Just what on earth had Lex
created down here? As it grew closer, she screwed her eyes
shut, reliving that crazy childhood logic which dictated
that if she couldn't see the thing, it couldn't see her.

Two hands - its hands - grabbed her shoulders, and she
twisted her face blindly away, terrified of whatever it had
planned for her.

"Lois!" it said. "Thank God I found you!"

She opened her eyes and snapped her head around in shock.
"Clark?"

"Come on, we're getting out of here," he urged.

"Clark?" she repeated, still trying to process what she'd
seen. How could Clark possibly have moved so fast? And he'd
hovered...

"Sup...erman...?" she demanded suddenly, in a low whisper.
It was the only explanation which fitted the facts.
Superman was *Clark*.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard