Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I am working on a story that I want to submit to the lcfanfic and any advice (general advice) would be so great from anyone experinced. I read a lot of the stories you guys wrote and a lot of them are really well written. (My fave author- Wendy smile1 )

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
First of all, Julie, welcome wink

I'm not as experienced as other people here, but I'll try to give you some help.

1) Find a BR (Beta-Reader). He/She will help you with the grammar and vocabulary, the plotline, if you get stuck, and will warn you if you walk out of character.

2) Start posting here before submitting to the Archive. We all like to read more, and we'll be more than glad to provide you with feedback and constructive criticism, that is, if you want us to wink

3) Don't be nervous about anything. Fanfic is also funfic - you have to have fun reading and writing it. If you need help with your story, just post here, and be sure that if someone points out something they didn't like in your story, it will only be to help you improve.

I hope to read your story soon.
AnnaBtG.

P.S.: Your favourite writer is Wendy? You have a good taste wink

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Columnist
Columnist
Hi Julie! smile1

Then after the story has been posted and you've made changes based on people's comments (if you want to), submit the story to the archive. The FAQ page that I linked above can help you out with how to do that.

Although this is the way that most (or at least a lot of) authors do things in this fandom, there really are no rules. You can just post it here, or you can just submit it to the archive. There's also Anne\'s Place , fanfiction.net , and Zoomway\'s Message Boards that you can submit/post your story to. It's all up to you.

Hopefully I've covered most things, but someone else can let you know if I've missed anything. And be sure to email me or post here if you have any more questions. We're always happy to help out. smile

~Anna

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi Julie, and welcome! goofy

Oh, also take a look at our boards' FAQ, posted here . There's lots of good advice in there about posting stories.

And finally - thank you! blush I'm honoured that you enjoy my stories, but of course there are dozens, if not hundreds, of other great authors whose work I'm sure you'll love.

Just jump right in!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi, Julie! goofy

Everyone's covered the steps about polishing and posting your story, but I wondered if you also wanted general advice on writing...? You'll have started a very long thread, if so smile We do like to think that we have a high proportion of very good writers, here. One of the reasons for that, I think, is that we really care about helping each other to become better writers. So if you've got questions, we've got answers wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Columnist
Columnist
Welcome, Julie! smile

Nice to see another Canuck on the boards! Where in Ontario are you? I'm from the KW area.

Irene smile

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I would also suggest posting on http://www.zoomway.net/boards laugh These boards are fairly new, and there are still readers over there.

Laura

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
Julie S Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I live in Toronto smile

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)
Columnist
Columnist
Hey Julie -

I lived in Oshawa for many years before moving to Vancouver - worked on Yonge St, TO for a year, too.

Also want to recommend you post your story to the fanfic list (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LCFic) - some potential readers don't have time or patience for the boards, so if they want to read a story before it hits the archive, they want to see it on the mailing list. (Personally I tend to read the story here, but save it to my personal archive from the list - it's more convenient for me that way.) You may not get as much feedback from the list, but it is being read over there...

If you have any trouble getting over there, write me privately and I'll try to help...

Best,

Melisma (scampering back under her Rock, eager to read a new author!)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Nan Offline
Kerth
Kerth
Welcome, Julie,

I doubt that I can add anything that hasn't already been said, but I'm pleased to see a new author added to the boards. there's never enough fanfic to keep me happy. (I know, I never said I was reasonable ...)

Nan

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What Nan said. smile Just popping in to say welcome and delighted to hear we have new talent on the way! smile1

LabRat smile
Editor-in-Chief
The Lois and Clark Fanfic Archive
labrat@blueyonder.co.uk

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard