Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
There's something bugging me for a while now, and I'd like to ask you fellow writers about it.

I guess that you sometimes come up with ideas for stories unrelated with L&C. Do you ever think of 'L&Cize' them and make L&C fics out of them?

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I'm doing that with the story I'm writing now. I loved messed up characters {makes for a deeper story} so I just used Lois instead of my character Rai.

Imagine.
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
I used to write generic short stories all the time in high school, but since I started writing fanfic, I haven't had a single original idea. However, I do have an Elseworlds story I'm working on that could be changed to an original romance story...all I have to do is change some of the names like King Kalric from Kryptonia and Princess Liana, daughter of King Samdar from Metropius.

That is IF I ever finish it!!!! grumble

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes.

It's almost more normal than not <g> But that may just be because whenever I have a mood I want to create, the first thing I try to figure out is how I can make it work with L&C smile

The most extreme example for me would probably be "A Special Child." That one was pretty auto-biographical, though I tried to keep everyone in character, which required changing some things around... I probably wouldn't have ever written it if I hadn't been asked to do this specific type of story for a FOLC charity thing. The interesting thing is, I later tried to adapt it back *away* from L&C and had a terrible time converting it <g>

I've thought about converting a few other stories, too, but I've never come up with ways to get around the Superman-specific details... hmm, maybe instead of trying to convert them, I should just skip them entirely...

Um, what was the question again? smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I used to write generic short stories all the time in high school, but since I started writing fanfic, I haven't had a single original idea.
I found I was having the same problem. I'd done tons of fiction writing before I started writing fanfic (LnC is the only fanfic I've ever even considered writing) and it seemed then that everywhere I looked was a potential story idea. Then I started writing fanfic, and everywhere I looked there were fanfic ideas. Everything I thought of was a great story for Lois and Clark. I never thought of original characters anymore, and all the ideas I got were specific to LnC. After my last rush of stories in early summer, I started to get upset my this. I really enjoy writing original fiction, and I was upset that I wasn't doing it anymore. I tried to convert some of my LnC story ideas, but that didn't work. Then I started trying to think of new original ideas, and I couldn't think of any. It was SO frustrating, given the ease at which they used to come. Then it was like I suddenly was over the wall and all of a sudden I was flooded with ideas. Now I have four original novels outlined. Everywhere I look is a new idea and my frustration is that I can't get them written down fast enough. So I wouldn't worry too much. It takes a little focus, but you can go back to writing original stuff if you want to. <G>

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Top Banana
Top Banana
I went about this a bit backwards, I think.

I have never written fiction of any kind before L&C fanfic. Mostly I was an academic writer, though it was interpretive stuff, so I had the chance to be creative. And when I would write just to write, I tended towards the auto-biographical. I had an one-act play staged wherein the lead character was basically reading out of my diary.

After trying my hand at fanfic, I realized the pure joy of making stuff up! Recently I converted 'Lois Unbuttoned' into a one-act play. It really already was one, and when all super-references were removed, and all super-secrets taken out, it turned into its own original thing. It will be staged at our local playhouse this fall.

However, when I now try to come up with something original, not starting through the L&C filter, I find that the well is very, very dry.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Not really. I come up with stories all the time that are unsuited to Lois and Clark. So I either write them as different characters or jot down the idea to use later.

Laura

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It will be staged at our local playhouse this fall.
Woah! Way to go, CC! clap clap

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey, thanks, Labrat,

Don't be too terribly impressed. It's a small town and a really small theatre!

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard