Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#140927 08/15/03 03:38 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by Sara:
It's just that I always thought both of Lois' engagement rings, and her wedding ring afterwards, were made of silver...
They could have been white gold. That's what my high school class ring is and it looks more like silver.

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#140928 08/15/03 04:06 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I don't believe they sell many (any?) silver wedding rings -- they tarnish too easily to be practical. Silver is also significantly less expensive than gold, so I would imagine it would fall into the "cheap" category in the jewelry stores. (Assuming here; don't mean to offend anyone who might have one. <g>)

Like Anne, if Lois's rings weren't made of yellow gold, I would assume they were either white gold (that's actually what my mom's rings were made of) or platinum. Platinum is actually more expensive than gold ... I'm not sure by how much, but I remember reading articles back in my engagment days about it being the new upscale thing, to have your engagment rings made from platinum.

But one decision couples do need to make when they are first shopping for engagement rings is whether they prefer the look of yellow or white gold (or platinum) for the setting. (I also have seen some men's rings that were kind of neat, where they had interlocking bands of each color, for a two-toned effect.)

Kathy

#140929 08/15/03 05:21 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
My rings were made of platinum (which always contains 10% irridium when used for jewelry). Not only is it significantly more expensive than gold (almost twice as expensive, currently ), it is more durable -- less likely to scratch, chemically more inert, etc.

Oh, and I have seen two- (or even three-) toned women's wedding rings too, Kathy, although they are less common.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#140930 08/15/03 05:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

My rings are of white gold. I got an accident with my engagement ring (I burn the ring, don't ask blush ) I had to send the ring to the jeweler and they send the ring to special company to fix that and other problems (the diamond was falling). I think they gave the ring a new bath of white gold and fix the rest. Never had a problem with the ring again.

MAF thumbsup

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#140931 08/15/03 07:36 AM
Sorcha Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Ooh! Ooh! White gold could work! smile1

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
#140932 08/16/03 11:11 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I know some wedding rings and engagment rings are sold as a set. When put together they make a whole ring. One ring{one half of the total ring} is a band, the other {the other half of the total ring} is a band with a gem. The band with the gem is the engagment ring. It is left on during the wedding. Then the wedding ring, the solid metal band, is slipped on above it. Later both are welded together to form one ring.

Imagine.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard