Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I'm currently working on a long story and running into a problem that I seem to encounter way too often these days: even though I keep getting new ideas that I can't wait to explore when they occur to me, whenever I sit down to write I feel that the story will never get finished. And so what ensues is that I get stuck, I become impatient, every paragraph takes ages to complete, and of course as a result I lose confidence and it becomes even more difficult to write. What happens then is that I procrastinate instead of spending my time writing, which is very stupid since I'm on holiday for another month and have all the time I want for that.

So I thought I'd jump in and start a discussion to see whether other authors, 1) sometimes feel the same way, and 2) have some tricks to keep the motivation running constantly throughout the writing of long stories.

For example, how do you convince yourself to stick to one story and not butterfly around? Also, do you have a clear working schedule? Do you outline your scenes ahead and plan to write one each day? Do you force yourself to write at least for two hours every day, or a set number of pages? Or do you just sit at the computer and the writing flows out onto the page with a snap of your fingers (if so, what's your secret, and can I have it? goofy )?

Yours procrastinatingly,
Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Kaethel,

I know exactly what you mean. The story starts with a rush and you type furiously to get everything in your head out onto 'paper' but then something interferes, like eating or sleeping, and when you get back you have lost the thread. And then you can't seem to do anything but stare aimlessly at the page which in turn is mocking you in it's pristine white state.

I have found a number of things that get me going again, most of the time but not everytime. One is to do short form ideas for what I see happening in the story next. I print out the last three pages or so and then take them up to bed with me. Then I lay down in bed and read them. then I close my eyes and let my mind wander from where I left off. I generally get some vague ideas of where I want to go from there, I jot them down longhand. When I say get ideas and write them out, I am being very vague unless a particularly good piece of dialouge leaps out of the netherworld at me. One short form sentence can generally outline an entire page or half of one. Then I take my notes down to the computer when I am ready to type again and read the last page and then glance at my notes... things start to happen there. Even if I have to push myself for the first sentence, things just start to flow after that.

Or one of the other things that I do, if I get a new idea when I am working on another thing - I make the short form notes in a word file, getting out all of my ideas in stream of conciousness typing and then I go back and reread the story that I was working on to get back into it. But I tend to have at least three wips on the go at once. So I don't know how to stop fluttering all that well <g>

Just some ideas.

Marns
~pobody's nerfect
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
ugh, I know exactly what you're talking about. Sometimes I feel like I get more exited about the idea of write than about actually writing. When I'm at work or out driving or whatever - just not sitting at my computer - I have lots of ideas and I can't wait to write. Then I sit down at my computer and I'm just overwhelmed. There is too much to write, I don't know where to start, and I'm just not motivated. I wind up compulsively checking my email, chatting on AIM, looking up totally random things on google, etc. Or I get sick of the computer altogether and I read or watch tv. In any case, I get nothing done. Then the end of the day comes and I'm furious with myself for not making good use of my time off. Because I'm always moaning and groaning about working too much and not having time to write, and then when I have a day off, I don't actually WRITE anything.

I'm not sure what to tell you about how to break through that. Don't get too discouraged, because you will break through. I always do. I think inspiration and motivation comes in cycles. Sometimes I'm so motivated I find myself sneakily writing on scrap paper when I should be working, or composing entire scenes in my car as I drive. And then I sit down at the computer and it just flows onto the screen. So sometimes you just have to wait for that feeling to come.

If you're too impatient for that, try writing out of order. Sometimes I can get motivated to write a specific scene, just not the next chronological scene. So if I allow myself to write whatever I want, that helps me get in the writing mode. Also try just giving yourself a guilt-free day off. Occassionally you just really need to get away.

I don't know if that helped at all, but at least you know you are not alone. smile

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Top Banana
Top Banana
K, I also understand exactly what you're going through! I've got that problem with Kidnapped right now - I know I'm nearing the end, and to be really honest, I'm getting a bit bored with it. I know what's going to happen, and have done for some time, so there's nothing much to keep me interested.

How do I manage this problem? Hum. Well, I find Annie's trick often works. I jump ahead to a scene I know I'll enjoy writing, and then things start to flow again. It's good for your morale if you're writing something, even if it's not exactly what you're supposed to be writing. wink The risk, of course, is that whatever you write won't quite fit into the story, but you can usually tweak things around to shoehorn it in. The benefit is that you've now got a goal to aim for - all you have to do is fill in the gap between the main story and the bit you've written further on. Sometimes you can even track backwards. And best of all, when you reach the scene you wrote, you've suddenly got a big chunk to add to the story and you leap on pages and pages. smile

Yvonne

G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Helene, I'm not sure that I have any solutions for you since I'm in the same boat and sinking fast. I think I'm responding to your post because I need some help and encouragement as well.

Last year, I started a story and worked through last summer with it. (I've written about 70 pages, and some of those pages are good. I just can't abandon it at this point.) In September, when I went back to work, I stopped writing. When school ended in June, I thought that I would finish the story. Well, it's the end of July and I've written a total of 5 new pages.

ML and Jude have tried to motivate me, but it's not happening and I do want to finish this story.

Everyday, I tell myself that I'll just write one more section, just a few pages, but I don't even boot up my laptop which has the working story on it.

Like Yvonne, I know exactly where it's going. There is a complex A-plot and that creates some of the hang-ups.

So, like Helene, I'm going to be reading this thread to see what motivates others to write.

gerry

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Short answer, Kae:

1. IRC

2. IM

3. Brainstorm

4. A very, very large whip.

LabRat smile (who'll be on channel later if Kae wants to take this advice... wink )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I don't believe in doing full outlines, but I do like to know what the next few scenes are going to be, and what they need to accomplish. Is there information I need to give to the characters and/or readers? Is there a conflict to reveal/introspection to set the mood? Do the characters need to reach a decision or turn an emotional corner? Then once I've got an idea of that, I can sort of work outwards to choose/ refine the setting, and what moves the characters are making. And then I try to find ways to make all the extra stuff work for the story, too -- not just that it fits in, but that it moves things along, whenever possible. If I can seamlessly accomplish two different goals in the same scene, I'm very happy smile

Similarly, when I'm writing, I usually start with dialog, but then go back and add all the motion cues that were only in my brain, the first time through smile

I've been blocked with my "J" story -- I had 3-4 scenes written, and I know what plot to use, but this was all just set-up for when the story really gets going. And for a while there, I had the wrong goal in a scene -- I was pushing for them to get to a certain point, but they weren't ready for it, and they weren't cooperating wink And the pressure wasn't doing my muse any good. After some brainstorming, it occurred to me that I didn't need to get to that point in those scenes, and it might in fact be better if I didn't, so I abandoned that goal, and chose a new, more realistic goal. I'm now feeling a lot more relaxed about putting this thing together smile and it'll be a lot more fun to write.

Another trick I find that helps sometimes is to contemplate whether I've got the right POV for the scene -- should the reader be in Clark's head right then, to get his responses, or would that leave them just as bewildered as he is, so I should show them what Lois is thinking...?

Now, if only I could get my family to be utterly quiet and self-sufficient for a few hours...

PJ
whose muse tends to run away from cries of "Mommy!"

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
One simple answer.... FEEDBACK!!!!

So, Kae and Gerry, post everything you've got and we'll do our best to motivate you! smile1

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
I'm with Missy. Part of the reason I've come out of my hole in the last couple of weeks is because of the feedback I've gotten from these wonderful people.

My mom and my friends outside of cyberspace help a lot too. I get pounced on by a few of my friends if they don't have something entertaining to read within a sufficient amount of time.

And IM is a marvel. My mother doesn't understand how I can talk to multiple people online, talk to her on the phone, talk to whoever happens to be crashing in my room and write a paper at the same time. Just like there's order in chaos, sometimes there's focus in distractions.

Samik
(Who is contemplating posting her new story in hopes that it'll light a fire under her rear to finish it.)

"I don't like people to talk for no reason, but I really love dialogue between people who aren't listening to each other." --Raymond Carter
J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Kaethel, I understand your problem completely. Once I start writing, everything goes swimmingly, but then I have to stop until tomorrow, and every new day I'm in agony trying to force myself to write again. I know the story, I know where Im going and it's such a slow process to get there. I know some people set themselves a target of writing 6 or 7 pages a day and stick to it. I've never been able to do that. I don't like to share except with my Beta, Gerry, who keeps cracking the whip. I'm on the downhill run for my project for this year, and I've finally decided to descipline myself a little and set a time for completion. Now I have to stop procrastinating by writing here and go to the hard stuff.

As far as getting a second wind to continue the story, I find that a long walk helps more than anything, especially if it's in a particularly beautiful and peaceful area. I can relax and let my mind go free. It's amazing how mamy knotty plots I've unraveled that way.

Gerry, why haven't I seen those 70 pages? Stop fiddling around reading novels and WRITE. smile

Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
G
Columnist
Columnist
G
Missy, I know that feedback is a wonderful motivational factor, but I once began what I thought would be an interesting fic and posted it in the early stages. Feedback was good, but I never finished the story. It's still sitting on my hard drive. Since then, I've only posted stories that I've finished and then tweaked the stories. I feel more responsible doing that.

And I have brainstormed a bit about this story. That's why I know where it's going.

I guess it's the big whip then...but I'm a non-violent person.

And Jude, I just finished reading another novel. Now I can beta-read what you sent this morning.

To the rest of you, Jude has one heck of a terrific fic coming up. It may be one of her best.

gerry

J
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
J
Gerry, you certainly know how to motivate a person. I've been running errands today and was going to use that as an excuse not to write. After such a nice comment from you, I'll have to buckle down and produce some more pages.

Apologies, folcs for the typo im ny previous post. I do know how to spell discipline.

smile Jude

dance

"Simplify. Simplify."
Henry David Thoreau

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle."
George Orwell
Kaethel Offline OP
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Hey all, and thanks for your interesting replies. First, I have to say that it feels very reassuring to see that many of us are in the same boat. I was starting to worry at my dwindling motivation, especially for a story I've been very much looking forward to write for the past three years.

Now on to the tips you offer.

Marns, I so know what you mean about getting interrupted and not finding the flow again. Then there's also getting the sudden urge to write exactly when you can't. I recently spent three weeks with no computer access and of course then I had those pulsions to grab a keyboard and type furiously. I had brought a pad with me but it's not the same, the ideas to flow onto the page in the same way, and when you want to tweak it's a nightmare.

Annie, LOL on the procrastinating techniques! See we use pretty much the same ones. For me it starts with checking email every 2 seconds, then reloading the boards, seeking a thread, going over to the archive and find something to read, grab the book I usually keep for bedtime, watch a stupid TV show, go find something to nibble in the fridge, and you know it's getting bad when I start changing the font on my WIP file. That's usually the very ominous sign that I cannot find any word to write. mecry

Yvonne, yes, the temptation to write a scene that really perks up your interest is hard to resist. I let myself do that in the first few months. However, for some reason I feel the need to switch back to linear writing after a while, mostly because I'm terrified that the story I'm telling won't make sense otherwise. As I refuse to work with a full outline (did that once, which drove me to a complete dead end), I need to stick to some kind of Ariane thread, especially with the A plot.

Gerry, good luck with your story! I don't know about you, but this thread is helping me a great deal, if just because I got it off my chest and it showed me that other people encounter the same sort of problem.

Rat, ROTFL!! And yes, good idea. wink Though once I find myself alone in front of the page, the problem returns. :p

Pam, I really like your idea to know exactly what's the purpose of the scene. I don't do that consciously often enough, and I think it leads me to running around in circles. This is why I had done a full outline on Fallen Angels, but you're right that I don't have to look very far ahead to know where I'm going. Thanks for the suggestion. smile

Missy, LOL! But I tried that once, and had to stop halfway through posting because I got stuck (that full outline thing, no doubt). I'm now determined not to post anything until it's finished. It doesn't mean I won't include suggestions by the readers! But at least I won't be pressured by this fear not to have the next part ready to post within deadline.

Samik, LOL! I'm usually the type of person who can concentrate on many things at the same time. I do need something when I write (inspiring music is particularly helpful... uh, as long as I don't feel compelled to sing along blush ). But sometimes it's hard to concentrate on writing when the TV's on and you're talking on IRC and checking the MBs and replying to email, all that in the same breath. [g]

Jude, I tried setting myself a given number of pages each day, too. 3. Not even 6 or 7. And yet 3 was already too much for me to keep up. It's like my mind perceives it as unbearable pressure, and so I end up filling blanks instead of writing something properly. I think long walks could be just the thing, though. smile

Anyway, I'd like to thank you all again for your interesting answers and useful tips. I'll certainly be trying them out and see if it makes a difference. This thread already helped a great deal, as I managed to write several pages over the past few days. However, as I've just become aware of a glitch in my A plot, I can already feel that it's going to slow me down, if not chase the Muse away. She hates glitches. [g]

Kaethel smile (off to change the font of her file peep )

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, I just remembered something I saw in a writing book, once -- you set yourself a daily page goal, and if you don't want to write the story that day, instead you need to write a full page on *why* you're not writing <g> Eventually, your Muse is supposed to figure out that it's more fun writing fiction than excuses goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Coming belatedly to this thread...

I hate to say me, too, but... me, too. I have real problems keeping the motivation going sometimes. EMII, for instance... (Yeah, well you all know way too much about that!)

Sometimes words flow; other times I feel completely blocked. Curiously, though, that blocked feeling doesn't necessarily apply to ideas. I have a number of those whizzing around my head at the moment, but none of them seem very keen to come out.

This makes me think that stories will mature and venture forth when they are ready, not necessarily when you want them to.

You might think that now is a good time to write, but if you can't, all that is going to happen is that you're going to get very frustrated if you try to force it. So don't. Lean back, relax and find something else to do without feeling guilty about it.

BTW, I was interested to see that you seem to think that you don't write so well with pen and paper. Oddly, I'm quite the reverse. I much prefer to do my first drafts in longhand then type them up. (That's one reason why bits of my stories get written in very strange places: cafes, bottoms of cliff faces, really terrible hostels, other people's kitchens...)

But I'm getting very off topic here.

Summary: I don't have any great suggestions for getting motivated, but I would say don't get too upset if the words won't come now. They will sometime in the future, most likely effortlessly, and you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Chris (who is waiting for words to flow, too).

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Hmm, when do I get motivated?

Obviously when I have a ton of other work to do wink . For example, this week, I have 2 presentations, my PhD program of study, a paper, and my MS thesis to do -- what happened? I got inspired and wrote 2 short fics.

But when I have absolutely nothing to do, the words just don't flow.

So my strategy is: the more stuff I have to do, the more I write wink .

- L.
(I am going to start working my way to signing my posts Laura wink )

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Merriwether
Merriwether
And so what ensues is that I get stuck, I become impatient, every paragraph takes ages to complete, and of course as a result I lose confidence and it becomes even more difficult to write.
See, that's why I don't write. I get two paragraphs down, 5 if I'm lucky, and I get stuck. I'm impatient to find out what happens next, but I have no clue - neither the muse nor the characters will tell me. It's really frustrating when the muse dangles ideas in my face, then runs away laughing before she does anything with them!

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard