Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#140708 07/20/03 08:12 PM
Nqoire Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Is it possible to legally change your name without it being traceable?

Imagine.
#140709 07/20/03 09:01 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Unlikely. In most states, not only is there a public record, there are some not-insignificant fees.

I think that some (if not all?) states might seal such records if you convinced a judge of an adequate reason, though. No idea what would constitute an adequate reason.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#140710 07/20/03 11:58 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Probably only if you're in a witness protection scheme... wink

Wendy

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#140711 07/21/03 01:06 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
In the US, everyone has a common law right to change their name "by usage and habit". That is, you don't have to pay any fees, obtain a lawyer, or get a court order. You just start calling yourself "Jane Doe", and if you do it consistantly and habitually, your name is now (legally) Jane Doe.

To get a Social Security card with the new name, you have to bring the Soc. Sec. Admin. evidence of your old name (eg. your old driver's license) and your new name (eg. a health insurance card).

However, your question specifically deals with the traceablility. I would think getting a new Soc. Sec. card would leave a trail someone could trace, if they looked hard enough. But they would have to know what they were looking for, and how to get the information. I don't think you can just write the Soc. Sec. office and ask, "Did so-and-so change their name, and if so, what to?" Changing your name this way would be much less traceable than going the court order route. Hope that helps.

- Vicki wave

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#140712 07/21/03 05:18 AM
Nqoire Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks so much, y'all! It really helped.

Imagine.
#140713 07/21/03 12:52 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Vicki, the web search I did yesterday, when nqoire first asdked the question, seemed to indicate that changing one's name by simply using the new one only works in some states.

Oh, and nqoire, that avatar is lovely.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#140714 07/21/03 02:53 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Rivka,
You could well be right. I was under the impression that the common law right to change one's name applied to all states, but I couldn't swear to this. Perhaps certain states have restrictions and qualifications to this.

Nqoire,
You might want to do some research on the web to see what kinds of restrictions different states have. However, if this is for a L&C fanfic, you could probably give New Troy whatever law facilitates your story line, as long as it is reasonable. BTW, I agree with Rivka, you do have a pretty avatar!

- Vicki wave

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#140715 07/21/03 04:35 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
not only is there a public record, there are some not-insignificant fees.
This doesn't address the question of traceability, but I know that the fees to change your name aren't always a huge roadblock. A friend of mine changed her name several years back (changed her middle name to her mother's maiden name) and it only cost her about $200 and a half-day off work to appear in court. Not dirt cheap, but not so high you couldn't save up for it in a relatively short amount of time.

Kathy

#140716 07/21/03 04:53 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I have no idea of current fees; but I do know that a few years back, a friend of mine estimated well over $500. Not sure what exactly that included (lawyer? going before a judge? just filing fees?), and this was in CA, where many government fees seem to be higher than the national average. razz

And even $200 would have been a lot for a starving college student.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#140717 07/21/03 06:53 PM
Nqoire Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks for all the info- I think I've got it worked out now smile Y'all are so nice!

Imagine.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard