Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#140683 07/16/03 04:03 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
This question is for a fanfic in development.

I'd like to know:

1. Are GM foods currently on sale in the US?
2. If so, are they labelled as such?
3. Also, what GM foods are available?
4. When did the first GM foods appear on US supermarket shelves, if at all?
5. What were those first GM foods?

If you can add anything about current and/or past legislation regarding GM foods in the US, so much the better. smile

Thanks!
(and a belated thanks for those who answered my earlier Gerald Ford question)

Yvonne

#140684 07/16/03 05:51 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Yvonne, most non-technical American are likely to think you mean foods from General Mills. wink Actually, even though I am aware of the usage -- Genetically Modified -- I did for a moment too! laugh

My understanding is that GM foods sold in this country currently are only labelled as such if the manufacturer chooses. Here 's a rather inflamatory site that wants to change that. OTOH, here is one I consider a bit less sensationalized, and here is a scientific one.

In fact, iirc, the fact that we have a large amount of GM foods mixed into all kinds of things is a major trade issue. The primary example (and I think the one with the largest market penetration) is soybeans. Small amounts of various soybean-derived products are added to an amazing number of processed foods. Some large percentage of these soybeans are GM.

The reason (as the third website I linked to explains) these foods are not generally labeled here, is that the FDA considers them to have no unsafe additives -- they only have additives that are GRAS (generally regarded as safe).

Consumers here wishing to be certain they are not consuming GM foods often choose the organic option (when there is one). (Which makes sense, because if GM foods concern you, odds are that pesticides worry you too! wink ) In addition, some companies (such as baby food manufacturers) have pledged not to use GM foods in their priducts.

Consumers wishing to choose GM foods have a bit of a harder time. laugh Because what the American market has clearly indicated is this: we don't care if there's a bit of GM stuff in there somewhere, if we don't know about it; but if you label it as GM, we won't buy it.

Rarely has there been such a spectacular market failure as the Flavr Savr tomato , the first GM food introduced to the US market.

I could, of course, point out that GM is a rather arbitrary designation. Farmers and scientists alike have been tinkering with the genes of crops and animals for centuries. GM processes simply speed things up. wink Of course, if new allergens are introduced, that is a concern. Otherwise, I think the FDA has the right idea.

[Edit: post #333! Any anti-GM folks will probably consider that appopos! laugh )

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#140685 07/17/03 12:04 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Yvonne, I read your whole post, thinking, "Well, now, there's Cheerios... And Hamburger Helper... " rotflol

It wasn't until I read rivka's reply that I understood what you meant. blush

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster
#140686 07/19/03 04:30 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Thanks for the replies, guys - they've been extremely edifying and very useful. One message coming over loud and clear is that it's a non-issue for most Americans - the fact that very few realised what the initials meant gave me a big clue there. laugh Just that fact alone is going to help me a lot when (or if) I ever get around to writing this story.

Yvonne

#140687 07/20/03 03:02 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I hope I can answer your questions for you. Unfortunately for me, I had to research such issues as this all of last year.

1. Are GM foods currently on sale in the US? Yes, 60-80% of all food you eat is in some way genetically modified.

2. If so, are they labelled as such? Genetically engineered, or GM foods, are not required to be labeled. Consequently, almost none of it is labeled.

3. Also, what GM foods are available? Just about everything you can think of, from animal products, to produce, to boxed and canned products to grains. There is virtually no food that is or has not been GMed.

4. When did the first GM foods appear on US supermarket shelves, if at all? Technically, GM foods have been around ever since men started to cross breed foods { mixing two wheat strains to make another healthier one} There was no set time when GM foods appeared.

5. What were those first GM foods? Mostly produce, and grains.

Imagine.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard