Print Thread
#140512 07/01/03 04:01 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
True to my word to Pete Ross, if a little belated, I've been trawling through all of the LNC triva I've collected over the years and stored on CD for early articles on LNC.

Haven't found what I was looking for yet <g>, but along the way I rediscovered this article a fellow FoLC sent me years ago and thought it might be fun to read - especially for new authors.

REAL WRITERS
by Lisa E. Arlt

Real Writers don't write rough drafts. Every word comes out publishable.

Real Writers sell their first book/story/article.

Real Writers never get tired, discouraged, blocked, depressed or sick.

In other words, Real Writers are Perfect.

When I started writing seriously in November, 1993, I didn't consider myself a Real Writer. Real Writers were published and I wasn't. Instead
I said, "I'd like to write a book one day," never admitting I was actively writing.

But the time I had written three manuscripts without managing to publish a single one, I knew I wasn't a Real Writer. But I was determined to
become one so I asked everyone's opinion.

Real Writers Outline.

I couldn't even color inside the lines, but if Real Writers outlined, then that was what I would do.

I outlined. It was my fourth book and my first historical romance novel begun when I was convinced I had no talent writing contemporaries and should switch genres. I spent a week outlining and when I was done I knew everything about these people and what was going to happen to them.

Barely into chapter two I was bored. I didn't care what was going to happen to these people. I already knew what was going to happen to these
people.

But Real Writers outlined, so I dutifully plodded along wondering how I was ever going to get the energy to finish this manuscript.

And then Catherine popped into my head. Passionate, impulsive and desperate. Her sole one-night-stand had turned out to be the man of her
dreams. But she'd lied to him and now he hated her. What was she going to do?

I was intrigued. But I had this historical to write and Real Writers finish every project they start, so I pushed her out of my head and kept
going on that historical.

Catherine kept coming back. Let me tell you about Joshua, she'd taunt.

Joshua? Who was Joshua?

Forget Joshua, and finish this historical!

Teeth gritted, I returned to the 1800's and refused to think about Catherine and Joshua.

And then I met Joshua. Angry, smitten with the woman who'd betrayed him and gorgeous.

I was hooked.

Right there in the middle of my historical romance I started writing Joshua's Revenge.

It was a clandestine affair. I'd work dutifully on my historical, churning out daily pages like Real Writers did, and then I'd sneak off
and visit with Catherine and Joshua, exploring their relationship and my imagination.

Soon, I was typing anything -- shopping lists, daily journals, anything -- just so I could complete my pages on the historical and race off to visit Joshua and Catherine.

This wouldn't work. If I couldn't stick with one project I'd never become a real writer. But, I couldn't give up Joshua and Catherine,
either.

I gave myself four weeks to get Joshua and Catherine out of my system, and then I promised to return and finish my historical.

I wrote quickly. I had to. I only had four weeks to find out what happened to Joshua and Catherine. I wrote all the time. I didn't care
about grammar, spelling or typos. I just had to find out if these two people were going to fall in love and live happily ever after.

Four weeks later I had my answer. And a 60,000 word romance.

It wasn't a perfect romance -- it couldn't be. It was a first draft.

But, it had potential. And most importantly, I loved the story.

I trashed the historical and worked on revising Joshua's Revenge instead. And I never wrote another outline again.

I'd love to tell you the publishers held a bidding war for Joshua's Revenge and labeled me the next Nora Roberts, but the manuscript was
rejected. While I was waiting to hear about it, I wrote another manuscript, and another, and that manuscript, my sixth, sold.

I'm working on my eighth manuscript now, and if I've learned one thing since 1993 it's that Real Writers write in many different ways. Some
Real Writers outline, some don't. Some know everything about their characters including their astrological forecast when they begin writing, some aren't even sure what the character's name is going to be.

Some Real Writers write when the mood strikes them, others have set schedules. Some write best when there are shouting children, ringing
telephones and World War III playing on the tv. Others lock themselves in a room where even the clock is silent.

It doesn't matter how you write, only that you do write.

I'm glad I outlined that historical romance. It was only by trying everything that I figured out what works for me.

Bottom line is Real Writers write. Which means I was a Real Writer all along.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#140513 07/01/03 04:41 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Inspiring. Almost makes me want to finish my own fic this week while I'm sick...nah. There's something to be said for major procrastination.

Jen goofy

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#140514 07/01/03 01:21 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Labby, thanks for sharing! laugh That was great!

Bottom line is Real Writers write.
Even if it's just TEs? laugh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#140515 07/01/03 01:42 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by rivka:
<strong> Labby, thanks for sharing! laugh That was great!

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Bottom line is Real Writers write.
Even if it's just TEs? goofy

#140516 07/01/03 01:52 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Dude, it takes talent to blow people up.
Oh, Jen!!! rotflol Can I have that as my new sig line? Please?

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#140517 07/01/03 05:15 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Thanks for sharing this with us, LabRat. Like Jen said, it makes me want to go and type out the next part of my fic. LOL.

And yes, Rivka, it does take talent to blow people up. Look at Tank for instance. <g>

Caroline

You've gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?
~Bernadette Peters
#140518 07/01/03 05:53 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by rivka:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Dude, it takes talent to blow people up.
Oh, Jen!!! goofy

#140519 07/02/03 12:03 AM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
Labby, cute article, but the bottom line is the bottom line.

Real Writers get paid.

Tank (who thinks Caroline gave him a compliment... but isn't quite sure wink )

#140520 07/02/03 01:25 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Real Writers get paid.
Can't say I agree, Tank. I'd say professional writers get paid. wink But I'd dispute that makes them any more a real writer than those of us who do it as a hobby.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#140521 07/20/03 04:49 PM
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
Labby, cute article, but the bottom line is the bottom line.

Real Writers get paid.
Not always, and not always a lot. I've had a few poems, some artwork, and one short story published, and the most I've gotten paid was $5 and change for the short story. But it was published. There are magazines you can submit your original fiction to that will print it, and if you're lucky you will get paid with a copy of the magazine.

If anyone is looking for publishing resources, I'd recommend http://www.spicygreeniguana.com for their list of webzines and print magazines. They do tell you which ones pay and which ones don't, but if you're just starting out, you'll probably have a better chance of getting into the non-paying ones. Just remember, the worse they can do is say no.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#140522 07/22/03 02:43 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Can't say I agree, Tank. I'd say professional writers get paid. But I'd dispute that makes them any more a real writer than those of us who do it as a hobby.
wave That's me.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard