Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#140501 06/29/03 10:13 AM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
I was trying to think of someone who had a reputation for always tripping up, getting things wrong, etc, and the only name that popped into my head was Gerald Ford. Over here, at least, I seem to remember there was a running joke that he was always making mistakes - both verbally and physically.

Does this mean anything at all to the Americans in our audience? There's not much point in using the reference if it doesn't have any resonance over there across the pond. smile

Anyone got any alternatives if I'm wrong?

Yvonne

#140502 06/29/03 10:47 AM
N
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
N
Actually, President Ford was an able athlete (still is). He took a single well-publicized trip and that became the basis for Chevy Chase's Saturday Night Live schtick in '75. It was Dan Quayle who, as Vice President, issued regular malapropisms (and they were hysterical).

So, you might equate tripping and physical comedy of that sort with Chevy Chase. But speaking the wrong thing at the right time is Dan Quayle.

Dare I hope that you're back to Kidnapped?
:p
Sherry

Visit www.marykay.com/sfmurphy for wonderful cosmetic products and an opportunity to enrich the lives of women.
#140503 06/29/03 11:23 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Sherry is right every joke was about Dan Quayle. He got that habit of open his mouth and there it was. :rolleyes:

I don't remember that about President Ford. blush

MAF smile1

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#140504 06/29/03 11:29 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yup, Dan Quayle was who immediately sprang to my mind, too.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#140505 06/29/03 01:06 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Some of the better Quayle-isms can be found here , among some 4000! or so web pages devoted to his mistakes.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#140506 06/29/03 01:33 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi rivka,

Wow! That was funny. I remember a lot of them.

rotflol

I didn't see potatu there.

MAF rotflol

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#140507 06/29/03 02:15 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
funny you should mention chevy chase... he's the actor who did a lot of prat falls and such while doing his gerald ford impression on saturday night live (which is why i think of gerald, who was president before i was old enough to be aware of presidents, as a clumsy guy). probably also why yvonne is thinking of him as falling down a lot.

leslie nielson also does a lot of pratfalls, but i get the feeling you're looking for someone who is actually clumsy, not someone who fakes it.

dan quayle was known for saying a lot of very strange/stupid/silly things, but he wasn't really known for falling down a lot.

can't think of too many other people, really.

there's inspector cluseau (sp?) from the pink panther, but i'm not sure if he'd work for you.

there's clark kent from the chris reeve movies, but somehow i doubt you want to use him. wink

leslie nielson played lt frank drevin on the tv show "police squad" (which later became the "naked gun" movies), but i'm not sure how well the character would be recognized.

sorry i can't be of more help. chevy chase's gerald ford is the best i can think of.

oh.. one more -- homer simpson. again, not a real person, but he is known for impressive levels of clumsiness, stupidity, and general ineptitude.

Paul, doing a quick fly-by while on vacation, and trying to make do with 28.8. wink

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#140508 06/30/03 09:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
does it have to be a real life person?

'cause all these Quaylisms made me think of a certain Ally Mc beal character, reknowned worldwide for his Fish-isms. The good part here is that the use of fish-ism is free of charges wink

Carole (jk, well...) smile1

#140509 07/01/03 02:51 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The best gaffs the ex-President Ford was known for was tripping down the stairs of Air Force One and accidently hitting someone in the head with a golf ball during a game of golf.

James, who's first President of memory was Richard M. Nixon.

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#140510 07/07/03 07:19 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by NearlyNoelNeill:
He took a single well-publicized trip
He must have tripped at least twice, 'cause I remember an episode of Quantum Leap where Sam, since he knew the future, made a bet that President Ford would trip down the stairs coming out of Air Force One and the other person said that he couldn't do that again...
huh

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#140511 07/07/03 11:17 AM
N
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
N
I'm not certain, Anne, but I don't think so. What I believe is that Chevy Chase's comedy routine was soooooooo successful that the fall took on a life of its own. And if you ever have an opportunity to watch the 1975 SNL originals....do it! laugh

Best,
Sherry

Visit www.marykay.com/sfmurphy for wonderful cosmetic products and an opportunity to enrich the lives of women.

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard