Next Thread
Print Thread
L
L Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I started LST about 3 yrs ago or so, and I was in a dark mood. I had had a miscarriage, and I was unsuccessfully trying to get pregnant again. I was 34, and really wanted to be done with baby making by 35/36.

(Since then, had the baby, she's nearly 2).

I am a long time SF and comic book reader/afficionado. I am also a buffy fan. When Angel lost his soul, we saw Angelus come to the fore front, and although DB isn't hte worlds best actor, he played Angelus so differently from Angel, it was chilling. When Angel got his soul back, it was easy to see how people could go back to trusting him after a while, although it took Giles longer - he had murdered Giles' 'love', and had also tortured Giles, nearly to death.

Joss Whedon (creator of buffy) likes to portray the villain as the one you love the most. So we saw Angel get evil, and then later, our own, beloved Willow. We learned to love the vengeance demon Anya after she was forced to become human again after flubbing up a wish.

I was intrigued by that: Same face/same body - different 'essences'. In willow and anya's case , it was them - being good and being bad... but in Angel's case: The angel we loved was GONE when the soul left his body.

Later, more recently, we got Spike - a demon stunted by a government experiment, forced to discover his 'softer side', falling in love with his sworn enemy and then undergoing brutal trials to GET a soul - a vampire who SOUGHT to be human. A beautiful story.

So - my story is a pale imitation of that kind of idea: I wanted to portray an evil Kal, but couldn't justify our Superman getting evil and then back to good again. I liked it when he sort of lost his marbles in the comics and ended up wtih a split personality, one a vicious vigilante who thought he was human (gangbuster)

But mostly, I really liked the mirror mirror universe idea from Star Trek, and wanted to explore it here.

Sorry for the crazy and non-organized ramblings. I'm trying to outpace my kids, and one of them just woke up - so.. gotta run.

Leela

(Who is mostly influenced by Lois McMaster Bujold, Margaret Atwood, and Joss Whedon)

Silence is violence. End white supremacy based violence
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
What inspires me to write a story?

Hmmm, that's an interesting question. Well, I think I dreamed up fantasy worlds when I was a little kid and playing. Over time thes worlds became more and more complex. So complex that it was hard to keep all necessary information in my head. That's when I started to write little notes containing the most important informations.

Then the day came I discovered this super cool machine in my parents' bedroom: a computer running on DOS and later Windows 3.0. Ahh, the good old times. Then I started to type the stories I had only imagined before.

Since then many things have changed for me. I dived into the world of books and soon discovered what kind of books I like and which I don't. (I'm all for fantasy...Can't help it smile1 ) I started to see that there was something like a writing style and plot development and stuff.

Then came my phase where I was influenced by TV shows I was watching. I started to think up new stories revolving around those characters that weren't mine.

With my imagination working overtime I reached at one point in time the place where I was working of 35+ stories at the same time. No wonder I got nowhere with them....

Then I reduced their number drastically. I decided to delete some, other I put in the 'fridge' to be continued at the later time. And a small number I kept as WIP. Sadly, the only stories I manage to finish are short stories. The farthest I got with the others is the beginnings of chapter 2. thumbsup

~Sira who was probably not much more coherent! lol

Columnist
Columnist
I like getting inspiration from songs, and judging by my latest WIP, movies. But I can hear just a single line in a song and work a whole story around it. And being that I'm a little weird, I come up with all kinds of off the wall ideas-working on one of those now. And like Erin, I have several stacked away that I haven't finished. At one time I could come up with idea after idea, start the story, but then it would go dry. Now days, I haven't been doing a lot of idea making let alone writing. It seems my muse has permenantly moved away. I guess I'll have to keep looking for inspiration!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think I can be inspired by almost anything, really... I don't watch a whole lot of tv these days, or even listen to music. Most of the day, it's my husband and kids picking the tv shows and the music -- when it's my turn, all I want is quiet! goofy Um, anyway, I can get ideas from lots of places -- books are one of my faves. In fact, "Hearts Divided" was partially inspired by Bujold's Vorkosigan series -- sort of a new version of Shards of Honor wink But then I throw a lot of different things in the pot.

I think what really inspires me to write is a mood or a feeling. I've heard that people have three main modes of thinking -- visual, auditory, or kinesthetic. I'm definitely kinesthetic -- I don't see pictures, just get a feeling (which usually includes an awareness of supporting details). And once I've decided which mood I want to create, I have to figure out what story would work for it <g> Usually, I have some idea of that when I start, but I do really like to have the whole thing plotted out fairly early on. I can't write properly until I know where I'm going, and more-or-less how to get there.

Don't know if that made any sense or not...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hm...I have an active imagination. I was one of those kids who was always inventing make-believe worlds...then as I started watching tv, season finales started driving me crazy, and finally I had so many ideas about what might happen that I started writing them down. Little did I know that the rest of the online community did this as well, and they called it "fanfic". And the rest is history.

Usually I get my ideas when I'm reading other peoples' fanfic. The plot will go one way, and I'll be thinking, well what if something happened *this* way. Case in point, I was reading one of Alicia's fanfics that she posted here, and I was in a really morbid mood and got upset that she didn't kill off a certain person. So I said, "Hey! *I* can kill this person off in one of my own!" laugh Thus, my current WIP started to form.

I also get my ideas from real life sometimes, especially when it's L&C, and I'm looking for ideas for an A plot.

Edit: Oh yeah, when it comes to writing things like songs and poetry, absolutely anything under the sun can inspire me. All it takes is one word or one line to get me thinking and running with it.

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
I'm usually inspired by what-ifs. My muse is demented, so they tend to be interesting what-ifs. I can be inspired by anything from TV to movies to books to fanfiction, and even some computer role-playing games if they have a decent plot, like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Morrowwind. Music sometimes inspires me.

I've been inspired by factual events as well as fictional. Heck, I've even been inspired by a reference book once (ok, it had to do with Norse mythology).

Nature can be very inspiring, particularly when I'm up at my parents' cabin on the lake. I've found that it's easier to be inspired by nature when you're closer to it than in the city.

Life experiences can be inspiring as well. Some original characters have been at least partly inspired by people in real life. Well, bits and pieces of them, obviously.

Anything can be inspiring. You just have to let inspiration come to you. : wink

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
I think I can be inspired by almost anything
Me too. My inspiration comes from movies I've watched, songs I've heard, books I've read, situations I've lived... Sometimes just one phrase, like a title or a motto is enough.
Still, sometimes it just comes out of nowhere, or it is the result of hard thinking.

The answer I give to your question is:
EVERYTHING & ANYTHING smile

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard