Print Thread
#140200 05/29/03 03:39 PM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
Do we really need TOCs for one-part stories, especially when there's no feedback and not much chance of getting any? I guess I was under the impression they were only needed for multi-part stories, especially ones with comments. Otherwise I would have made them for my poems. They are time-consuming to make.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#140201 05/29/03 10:32 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
We've had discussions on one-part stories before, Emily, and what's been brought up each time is that many readers like to have TOCs for them, complete with comment folders, because many readers who come late to the story like to then read what comments were made at the time. I know that I certainly do and it's most helpful to be able to go to a TOC where I can find story plus comments together.

As I'm the one taking the time to make up the TOCs and don't mind doing them, I can't see that it does any harm to include all stories, whether they currently have comments folders or not. They might garner comments in the future in which case they can be updated. I know that I'm still hoping to catch up on a lot of the fiction in the Original folder at some point, and if I do I'll certainly be posting fdk, no matter how much later it is. I'm sure I can't be the only one.

Though, actually, in this particular case, as a lot of your original fiction is so short I'd put them all into one TOC, which is probably where the poem should have gone, rather than a TOC of its own. My thinking there was that future members, who might have read one Emily Hanson original fanfic and want to read more, might find it helpful to have them collected in one TOC where they can find all of them without having to trawl through several pages of folder. I'm thinking long-term here you see. <g>

However, as I said here if you or anyone else has a serious objection to a TOC being made for one of your stories simply say and it'll be no trouble to remove it. smile I'm trying to be of help here, not step on anyone's toes.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#140202 05/30/03 11:56 AM
E
EmilyH Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
E
No problem. I was just wondering.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
#140203 05/31/03 01:23 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
smile

I've moved your latest poem into the Collection TOC - which is where it should have been to start with. :rolleyes: Thanks for the headsup there.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#140204 05/31/03 11:20 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
PS I saw this thread, and LabRat, if you are reading this, I'm about to post a second poem, and you can just stick all my stuff into one TOC, like you did with Emily's.

A big thank you from a TOC-deficient person laugh dance
Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard