Next Thread
Print Thread
#140193 05/28/03 11:20 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Well FoLCs today happened something, that troubled me.

I read "A fishy story" by Jana. In case you haven't read it, it's about a fish that belongs to Lois, and narrates us what happens to Lois etc..

The thing is, that a few weeks ago I had this idea about a fish that belongs to the Kent family (not Jonathan and Martha, the "other one") and gives us its perspective about their lives.

Now what? confused

Should I abandon it?

Or maybe should I describe my idea to Jana and let her write it?

Or maybe I can write it (when I have time), and there's no problem with that?

HELP! help

Anna_B._the_Greek

P.S.: Jana, I would love a reply from you, too.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#140194 05/28/03 11:36 AM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I say go ahead and write it. There are so many stories in this fandom, there are bound to be some that are pretty similar. If you had the idea before you read hers, I don't think there's a problem at all. In fact, I'd bet that your story turns out to be pretty different than Jana's. I can't tell you the number of times I've heard someone say they were afraid to write a story because it seems too close to another story, but then when they are finished they are so different the readers never even notice the similarities. smile

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#140195 05/28/03 11:58 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Please, by all means, don't let my story stop you from writing yours! That would be the last thing I want. Now, write away!

Jana

"Don't you people have lives?!?" ~Joe on Wings

"An eternal, burning flame. Hope lives on and love remains." ~from Love Remains, by Collin Raye
#140196 05/28/03 01:02 PM
Columnist
Columnist
In fact, who's to stop us from having a fishy story challenge, huh? smile

Melisma (ducking under her Rock to avoid the tomatoes)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#140197 05/28/03 01:27 PM
RL Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Seems like it would be an extension of Jana's fish stories since I assume Serena's tank would have moved along with Lois into the Brownstone.

Or if you want to write a story that isn't so similar, you could take it from the viewpoint of, say, Clarkie the black and white teddy bear. For us guys out here, it would be a good opportuntity to find out what it's like to sleep with Lois every night. laugh

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin
#140198 05/28/03 01:48 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
i agree. every author has his or her own style and perspective. so, even if they start off with the same premise, the story will go differently for each. that's very handy for two writers thinking of similar stories, but it can be a bit of a problem when you're trying to co-author...

actually, i was pretty sure i'd read a story from the perspective of lois's fish before. can't find it on the archive, though. i did, however, find one from her cat's perspective. that's here.

<shrug> more fic is always good. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#140199 05/29/03 01:43 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Oh, i c...

Thanks a lot.

I 'll start writing as soon as possible.

AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard