Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
well, i'm not sure if this will work, but here's the deal:

i've got a fic idea that's been bouncing around my head for quite some time. it's one of my old wips that's been sitting on my drive for who knows how long.

recently, i've put some time into developing it, but i'm having trouble sorting out exactly how it should go.

i've got some scenes figured out, and i know the characters and the setting, but i'm having trouble pinning the plot down. i've got several conflicting ideas bouncing around and jumbling things up. i can't get a good handle on exactly when and how to give the readers certain information, can't figure out what order to present the scenes in (which would, of course, affect what goes between them)... basically i've got a confused mess.

what i'm looking for is someone who is really good at putting a-plots together and getting stories properly structured. someone i can brainstorm with, kick ideas around with, etc. someone who can help me pick between one of the three possible beginnings, help me sort out what goes in the middle, and help me decide if i do need something past the current ending.

sounds almost like i'm asking for someone to write the story, doesn't it?

well, that's not exactly the idea. i think i can write it once i get a handle on how things should go, but every time things start falling into place, i realize something else or come up with a new angle. i just need someone to help me put the pieces together in the right order, and hopefully i'll be able to take it from there.

hopefully, along the way, i'll develop some much-needed plotting skill (you'll note that most of my fics are very short. the few that actually do have plots were mostly a result of me going "okay, what should happen next?" at the end of every scene and hoping it'd come together at the end).

so, if you're still reading this and actually considering volunteering, i guess you'll want to know what the fic is about.

i'm not going to say too much (i've revealed the crucial twist to a few people already, and i'd rather have that number stay minimal), but here's a basic overview:

it's kind of an arthurian soulmates story. that is, i've put the souls of l&c characters into the bodies of characters from the legends of kind arthur. it's got some twists to it, and i think it actually comes out pretty cool. there is, of course, a secret identity, and i've got a good reason for it. i'm hoping that'll be a cool surprise for the readers when they realize exactly who it is.

now, i know shadowfax wrote an arthurian fic that was very well recieved. i've avoided reading it for now because i don't want to be unduly influenced while trying to write. i've been assured, however, that my take is unique. (i was once told something like "we already have a wonderful arthurian l&c fic. why do we need another?" to that, i say "well, whyever would we need another TOGOM fic?" laugh )

i also realize that soulmates is not a fan favorite. i'm hoping that the fact that this is more about using that idea to put them into a new setting rather than having l&c go back in time or focusing on their destiny or whatever will help with that.

now, here's the tricky part. since i am trying to keep the number of people who know the secret details of this whole thing to a minimum, i'm not necessarily going to take every offer. i hope that doesn't offend anyone i turn away.

i'm also not looking to co-author this time (though i'll give due credit to whoever helps me). this is my story, and i know where it's going. i just need someone to help me brainstorm and pin down where it's coming from and how it gets to where it's going. laugh that is, i don't need new ideas so much as help sorting through the ones i've already got (though a couple new ideas might help, depending).

sorry if this is confusing, but, as you can probably tell, i'm rather confused myself.

so, if you're interested in the story, think you can help, and feel that you've got the time, drop me an email.

Paul, hoping this will work out for the best, and really hoping no one gets hurt or offended

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Paul, love Arthurian legend, love aplots, love brainstorming...not sure about any expertise though. Basically? I'm fascinated already. Mail me? <g>

LabRat smile (or, see you on irc wink )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
If I wasn't going to be moving within the next month, Paul, I'd jump at the chance to help you, but unfortunately, my time is pretty limited right now. But I do hope you find a few hardy souls (heh heh) to give you the help you need.

I couldn't let this pass, though:

i also realize that soulmates is not a fan favorite.
It's not??? LOL, you could have fooled me. smile I know some people don't like it (as there are always mixed reactions to every episode), but in my experience, the episode "Soul Mates" is definitely a fan favorite. smile I don't think you'll have any trouble getting people to read a story that expands on this premise. smile

Kathy

HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
cool! thanks, labby! i'll mail you now. i also got another volunteer, so this should hopefully work out quite nicely. assuming you can make sense of what i've got. laugh

kathy, good to hear. thanks for the assurance, and good luck with your move. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Paul,

Just to say that I'm another one of those who really enjoys the Soulmates 'theory'/stories. I would've offered my brain (pile of mush that it is) if it weren't otherwise occupied at the moment with exams. frown If you're still looking for help in 3 weeks time I may be able to help, tho you're a-plot skills are way better than mine...

Can't wait to see it, when you start posting it.

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard