Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#140154 05/22/03 05:24 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
There are no handles on the inside of the backseaof police cars...

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
#140155 05/22/03 08:44 PM
Xanabee Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
Am I allowed to open my mouth here? The question isn't aimed at me, but since I'm here...
LOL, Jen! smile I'm so glad you did! All of you!

This is a lot of useful information and it's great that I don't have to search for it on the Net myself. You FoLCs always come through. You're the best! thumbsup

Lois: Well, I like my quirks. I think they make me unique.
Clark: You certainly are unique.

Clark: You're high maintenance, you know that?
Lois: But I'm worth it!
#140156 05/22/03 09:09 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
actually, that reminds me of something called "the dropsies." a cop can't search your pockets prior to an arrest without a warent, but he can stop you if he sees that you have something illegal. so, many criminals suddenly and mysteriously became klutzes, according to police reports.

that is, i've been told that there are a lot more police reports than you'd expect which mention, for example, an arrest for posession of drugs having occured after the suspect accidentally dropped a bag of cocaine (which was subsequently found in his pocket during the arrest).

that's not to say that the bag was planted, simply that it was reported as having been clearly visible.

i don't remember where i heard that, though, so i'm not sure how true it is. anyone know?

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#140157 05/23/03 07:04 AM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
that is, i've been told that there are a lot more police reports than you'd expect which mention, for example, an arrest for posession of drugs having occured after the suspect accidentally dropped a bag of cocaine (which was subsequently found in his pocket during the arrest). <snip> i don't remember where i heard that, though, so i'm not sure how true it is. anyone know?
Well, I certainly can't speak for the whole country, but I read a lot of police reports in my area and I've never seen anything like this. I'm sure it's possible, but I've never heard of it. Maybe it's more common in really urban areas, but I've never seen it here.

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#140158 05/23/03 02:04 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm not quite sure if I'm even answering what you're asking Paul, but I did a little research and came up with a court case that involved dropsies:

PEOPLE of the State of New York, Plaintiff,

v.

James McMURTY, Defendant.

Criminal Court of the City of New York, New York County.

Sept. 3, 1970.

Defendant charged with narcotics violation moved to suppress narcotics which policeman alleged defendant had dropped but which defendant claimed had been taken from his person in illegal search. The Criminal Court of the City of New York, Irving Younger, J., held that 'dropsy testimony,' consisting of testimony of arresting policy officer that suspect dropped packet of narcotic drugs to the ground should be scrutinized with especial caution. The court held, however, that where arresting officer testified that defendant had dropped plastic container containing narcotics and defendant testified that he had not dropped the narcotics and there was no independent contradiction of policeman or independent corroboration of defendant, motion to suppress would be denied.

Motion denied.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#140159 05/23/03 11:58 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, totally off topic, but this reminds me of a hilarious legal summing up that someone posted to the fanfic list ages ago. Was it Nan perhaps?

Anyone want to post it in OT? I remember it had me in tears of laughter at the time.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#140160 05/24/03 03:39 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think that was me, but God only knows if I saved the file/link anywhere... I'll look, though smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard