#140108 05/13/03 08:03 PM
daneel Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Ok, I need a nick for a woman who is a hacker smile

Any idea?

Jose wave

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#140109 05/13/03 08:26 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmm well which side of the nickname fence are you leaning toward? Something conventional like Hacker Mary or something dark and mysterious like...oh...the Gatekeeper or the Shadow Lord? (Or some category in between that I'm not coming up with because it's 2:36am. laugh )

Jen jump

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#140110 05/13/03 08:37 PM
daneel Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
(Or some category in between that I'm not coming up with because it's 2:36am. laugh
What are you doing up at that hour! eek

It would be misterious smile better I think.

Jose smile1

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

#140111 05/13/03 10:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
for a mysterious side how about a nick starting with Lady something (I won't go Lady Matrix but, the thought crossed my mind, LOL)...the something would be related to the hacking world.

Wait! is it a nick she's gonna while online, or a nick she was given 'cause her hacking wasn't quite legal, or...(what am I saying, lady babble, it's me! )

#140112 05/13/03 11:08 PM
daneel Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Wait! is it a nick she's gonna while online, or a nick she was given 'cause her hacking wasn't quite legal, or..
Well, her hacking is not exacly legal :p , but for example like Neo in Matrix, it would be the name she's know in the Net.

Jose smile1

#140113 05/14/03 02:14 AM
Columnist
Columnist
You wanna call her Lady such and such? How about Lady Fingers, or Lady Lucky, or...I'm going dry here - give me a break, it's late here... I'll edit this if I think of any other possibilities...

Melisma (stumped here under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#140114 05/14/03 03:45 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'll throw out two non-ideas (cause they're taken) as a starting point. In Hackers, Angelina Jolie's character was Acid Burn. And of course, in the Matrix, the female hacker is Trinity ("I thought you were a guy." "Most guys do.") Now, you can always go for mythology -- Freya, Pandora (would probably be a really good one), Juno (not good, considering its an ISP), Minerva, etc. Or you can go tech -- Lady Binary, Blue Death (not good, hackers only like Windows because it's easy to hack!).. that's all I can come up with at the moment.

Then, of course, you can bring in H4x0r speak. This is only if used on the computer, as a chat. "ph34r p4nd0r4!!! i 0wn j00!" Then again, your hacker chick might frown on it as poser speak. wink (Frankly, I hate it, but I'm also not a hacker, so that could be why.)

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
#140115 05/14/03 03:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I like Lady X, and don't misinterprete me here wink

(it's X like xpress, XP, Xcel, excellent hacker, expected, or unexpected, X like anonymous, so mysterious, etc..)

#140116 05/14/03 04:53 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
How about CodeBender?

James

“…with God everything is possible.” Matthew 19:26.

Also read Nan's Terran Underground!
#140117 05/14/03 05:42 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Depends on your character <g> Yes, that's very helpful, I know wink

But seriously... you know her best -- what kind of image does she want to project to the world? Why did she come up with a nick in the first place? Lots of women on the 'net take neutral nicks, so they're not overwhelmed by hoards of geeky guys... Does she have another strong interest? Like a Tolkein fan might pick an Elvish nick, for example. Whatever the nick is, she ought to have an explanation for it, something that fits her personality and history.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#140118 05/14/03 07:56 PM
daneel Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thank you, guys for your help.

I forgot, it would be better if the nick is neutral, I mean that somebody who heard it doesn't know if she's is a man or a woman.

you know her best
Well, we haven't been properly introduced smile

what kind of image does she want to project to the world
In the real world, she's shy, she doesn't like to attract attention. But wiht the computer, she's the best, and want people to know her, behind the nick.

Why did she come up with a nick in the first place
To be able to hack into other's computer is a challenge, especially high security systems, but that's sort of illegal, so she uses an alias.

Does she have another strong interest? Like a Tolkein fan
Humm, Tolkien was too obvious. I have thought of The Simpsons or Futurama.

How about CodeBender?
Not bad smile

I like Lady X
Like in that Simpsons episode in which Homer have a web page where he splashes the gossips of Springfield?

Mr. X

Jose wave

#140119 05/14/03 09:48 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Yikes, Jose, that's a scary site! Makes me really glad that I avoid the Simpsons like the plague... (unless it's that XFiles ep where Gillian and David provide Mulder and Scully's voices. That one I can just barely tolerate. And yes, Loriel, I know that Jack wouldn't like me for making that statement...)

But I do like some of the suggestions for names that some of the others have given you. CodeBlender has a certain...ring... to it smile

Good luck...

Melisma (going back into hiding here under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#140120 05/14/03 10:26 PM
daneel Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
CodeBlender has a certain...ring... to it
James said CodeBender, bad l wink . Codebreaker? Too obvious.

Jose hyper

#140121 05/15/03 01:32 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
First idea:
Maybe you could "play" with her original name.

The best example to give you is BanAnna's name (My schoolmates used to call me "Anna - Banana" too, when I was 6 years old laugh - coincidence??).

And if you haven't chosen her original name yet, it's even easier.

Second idea:
You could choose something that reminds a PC, for example Shift or DriveX (where you could replace X with the first letter of her name).

Third idea:
You could also try SysBD (=System BreakDown!!).

These are all the ideas I have.
Hope I could help you.
Anna_B.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#140122 05/15/03 10:13 PM
daneel Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I'm still without a nick. You guys are giving good suggestions and now I have to come with one for Jimmy frown

Jose smile1

#140123 05/15/03 10:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
this one's easy. Either "Goldfinger" ('cause he's just so good with a keyboard and it refers to his father's background) or Hackman (but this one's a bit obvious, isn't it? wink

er...now that I think of it, it's not that easy...er...how about a nick refering to his activities at the Planet? Shooter, for the photo part, or Reasearch Guy...Okay, I give up!!

Carole

#140124 05/15/03 11:37 PM
daneel Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Goldfinger
Thanks Carole smile

Jose smile1

#140125 05/16/03 01:23 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you're welcome Jose smile1 and thanks for the smile1 wink

#140126 05/16/03 02:26 AM
daneel Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I think I have just have an idea! hyper

Jose jump

#140127 05/16/03 03:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
oh, great! can I hear about it? (come on, come on, say yes)

Carole

#140128 05/16/03 10:21 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
Oh yes please tell us!!!!

Anna_B.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#140129 05/19/03 07:52 PM
daneel Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
No way! :p

The story it's growing slowly frown , and my evil co-author is busy with her own story, and exams are close to her... And don't ask her, she signed a NDA. smile

Jose peep (hiding from the hordes of avid fanfic readers that want fresh stories)

#140130 05/21/03 08:10 PM
daneel Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
I have just seen something weird. I went to the off topic folder and I found this thread there. Did I pot it there originally? I thought I had posted it here since it was a fanfic related question...

Jose confused

#140131 05/21/03 09:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe it's due to the late server crash ...otherwise it's a mystery to me... confused

#140132 05/21/03 11:26 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nope, it's down to you having one dumb, dopey admin. goofy

I thought I'd deleted it in OT - thanks for the heads up, Jose - I'll go and delete it now.

I moved it yesterday - because it had belatedly occurred to me that it's natural home was in OT rather than Fanfic Related.

Two seconds after moving it, however, I was struck by the understanding that it was fanfic related because you weren't asking for a nick for a hacker friend in RL (which was how I'd first read your question :rolleyes: ) but as a hypothetical question for a fanfic!

Doh!

So, I quickly reversed everything I'd done and put it back in here where it belongs. Obviously not well enough. blush

Sorry for the confusion. laugh

LabRat smile (who was hoping she'd covered her tracks well enough not to have to admit to that little bit of embarrassing stupidity goofy )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#140133 05/21/03 11:36 PM
daneel Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
It was nothing LabRat, only to find a post in the other folder surprised me smile

Jose wave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard