Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Pam originally posted a thread with this title on the old boards, a couple of years ago. A discussion we were having just before the crash made me think that it might be worth bringing it back again. smile

First, I think pretty much everyone knows what a beta-reader is. But just in case... a BR will read a story, either as a whole or in sections, and comment on things such as plot, characterisation, overall consistency and so on - and perhaps also spelling and grammar, though for most of us it's the content rather than the presentation which is important. I want to know, for example, if the actions of my characters make sense; if I've described their motivations clearly enough; if the A-plot is actually NOT full of holes. wink And I also want to know if I've given Clark a charcoal suit on page 10 and on page 15 (the same day) he's wearing brown. smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Just a general comment:

Not every BR relationship is a match made in heaven.

Personally, I've gone through several BRs over the years in the different types of fanfic I've writeen, as well as BRed for several different people. You don't have to consider yourself married, shackled, til-death-do-you-part to whoever you're working with. It may end up that the person who BRed for you for one story just didn't work out as well as you'd like, so maybe you'll find someone else next time. Some people are just better matches for each other than others, and you shouldn't try and force it if you really have serious clashes with your BR/writer. I've dropped out of BRing a story before, and there were *absolutely* no hard feelings...it became a very relationship-driven story (not L&C), and those just aren't my forte. But always remember to keep looking...there is someone out there for everyone!

Jen goofy

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I think I posted some long ramble yesterday, which I don't remember now smile But I believe the main points I wished to make were:

Like many of us, I am sometimes an author, sometimes a beta. As an author, I keep in mind at all times that my beta readers are doing me a huge favor -- taking valuable time out of their lives and basically donating it to me. I believe I should be very, very polite and grateful for that, and I'll consider all their suggestions. I appreciate what they can give me.

Sometimes, they make one small comment that makes me smack myself in the head and say "Yes! That's exactly what I need to do to this story." Irene did that for me once, and I'm certain she had no such intention <g> But a stray observation from her made me realize the story would work a lot better if I radically restructured it. Other times, they can't do as much as I might want, but that's life.

It's like Superman, really goofy "Whatever he can do, is enough"

As a beta reader, I keep firmly in mind that this is not my story smile I'll point out things that I see as problems, with suggested fixes if I can think of them. I'll react and let the author know how the story worked for me. And then it is *completely* up to the author whether they want to take my suggestions or not. Sometimes, I'm wrong ... and sometimes, I'm just misunderstanding or even disagreeing with what the author is trying to do. Sometimes, the author is being a bonehead wink but that is his or her perogative.

I hope to get some sort of reply, because the discussions can be fascinating, but if it's a choice between the author chatting with me or writing the story... usually I'll go nag them to write more wink

Oh, and the most important thing -- this is *not* personal. This is a partnership for the purpose of producing better fanfic. Disagreements or even ending a author/beta relationship doesn't mean one of us hates the other. Betas and authors often are friends or become friends, but that's just a nice side-benefit smile The focus is on the story.

PJ
who will admit to feeling piqued sometimes, but who tries hard not to let it show wink

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Columnist
Columnist
Sometimes, they make one small comment that makes me smack myself in the head and say "Yes! That's exactly what I need to do to this story." Irene did that for me once, and I'm certain she had no such intention.
I did, Pam? When? I wish I could remember this. Was it during Hearts Divided?

I've been very lucky with my beta-readers, too. Wendy and Laurie are my two primary readers, but Pam has helped out from time to time and now I've got Paul.

You are so right, Pam, about little comments opening up broad horizons. And generally they're not comments about grammar, either!

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I've sent you the details privately, Irene, but for all those other curious people... it was "H is for Hubris" -- in an early draft, HG Wells didn't show up until halfway through the story. Irene said something about it being a big surprise, and I started to think that I didn't want it to be such a shock at that point... I don't like to lead readers on to expect one kind of story, and then jerk them around to something completely different halfway through. (Hmm, that probably explains why I don't like non-obvious Tank Endings razz )

So I had to go back and write three or four earlier scenes with Wells, tucked in among my existing scenes. That gave the story a different feel, which I think worked much better. Thanks, Irene! wave

Moral of the story (if there is one) is that just getting audience reactions can be extremely valuable; grammar corrections are not required. smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Columnist
Columnist
This is an interesting topic, and I'm glad you brought it up. I think I've only really had a BR for one of my stories - thanks Wendy, for Moments of Illumnations. (If I haven't thanked you before, consider yourself thanked laugh ) I think my lack of BRs is because most of my stories so far have been short ones, and I've been able to read them over myself fairly successfully. But I wouldn't turn down another BR for a longer story or a series...

Now, I *have* been a BR myself - how about addressing what it takes to be a good BR? I would start it out by saying, "Know your own strengths." Not everyone is good at grammar, spelling and punctuation. (That's my strength.) Others, like me, aren't too good with plotlines, names, and other stuff. Personally if someone asked me to BR, I would tell them what I can do, and advise them to find someone else to point out the other things.

What else can you add to this?

Melisma (under her Rock, wondering if she should have started a whole other thread for this laugh )

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard