Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#139969 05/09/03 08:15 PM
Shadow Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I need to pop out my sudden 2am thought before I go to bed and forget it. Yeah, so I'm plowing through some research for my fic, and it just occurred to me, do you guys cite what you find? I.E. if I have a character in the story that shoots off a mouthful of info about cubic zirconia, do I need to indicate at the end where I found this info (because I knew nothing about the stuff beforehand). Just making sure I avoid the good 'ole plaigerism disaster here.

Ciao
Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#139970 05/09/03 08:36 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Plagiarism deals mostly with using quotes and you don't give credit for that.

The purpose of research is to learn more about something. You are allowed to use that, but you need to put it in your own words. THere's nothing wrong with telling at the end which sources you used, but it's not strictly necessary.

That's how I see it, other may think differently.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
#139971 05/09/03 11:13 PM
Columnist
Columnist
My first fic (the Trek one) was written right after I got out of grad school (note, not graduated from, but got out of...) - and I had no clue about how acknowlegements worked. So that's why I have a whole part at the end devoted to Bibliography - and yes, that's what I called it. I think if I was doing it again... oh duh! I *am* doing it again goofy here under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#139972 05/10/03 04:36 AM
Shadow Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Yeah, okay. I'll just make sure I don't use direct quotes. But they always told us everytime I write research papers that *anything* you don't give credit for, quotes or paraphrasing was considered plaigerism.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#139973 05/11/03 10:04 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
There's no need to credit everything no. In Masques, I credited the makers of the brand of tazer I used simply because I lifted the text of the ad from its website almost verbatum for use in the story.

And if you were having your characters quote huge tracts of some RL Professor's scientific research, say - or, as you point out paraphrasing the text - you could always add a list of sources at the end of the story.

But other than that and in the circumstances you cite, Jen, just looking up the facts of everyday bits and pieces - no, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard