Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Merriwether
Merriwether
I have a Palm m125. It's discontinued, but they replaced it with the m130 (same, but with a color screen). Many of the PDAs on the market now have the mini-disks of some type. My brother has a Visor with one. I researched quite a bit before I replaced my m100 when it died (it had been a gift).

I love using my Palm to read. I actually paid for an eboook a couple years ago. I liked it; but decided that since it cost the same, and could neither be lent out or resold, it didn't pay. But with fic, with no cost associated, it means I can read a story anywhere! This is a very Good Thing. wink Plus, I can read in bed with no light -- the screen has its own light.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Columnist
Columnist
Thanks, Rivka - I'll go out and do some research on it, then. (Unless you wanna share yours with me smile - email me privately if so...)

I've got a lot to learn about such things - I'm also trying to research laptops as I need to get a new one to replace my *very* old Toshiba Satellite Pro 435 that my dad gave me about 3 years ago and it was old then... It's giving me all sorts of problems these days...

Melisma (slinking back under her Rock to get ready for her Sunday evening classes)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Merriwether
Merriwether
My research mostly involved going to 5 stores and looking over what they had, discussing it with several people who had recetly purchsed one, and doing online searches to look at prices. Not too easy to share wink -- sorry Melisma.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Columnist
Columnist
LOL, Rivka, that's exactly the sort of advice I needed - I can check online and go to stores here in Seoul (and indeed, we have one of the biggest markets full of computers and other techie stuff here, so it's even fun to do smile ), and as for asking for advice of other people, well that's what I'm doing now smile

See? It *is* easy to share!

Melisma (grinning under her Rock)

- Yoda
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I think the cool thing about E-ink isn't the writing technology, but the reading. They can make a book using thin computer pages and a memory chip in the spine. When you are finished reading the book, you press a button on the spine and change the book. The pages themselves, with the words on them, switch to the words to another book. So you can carry one book with you onto an airplane, say, and when you finish, switch to the next book. A library in one volume.

As for a handheld, I have a PocketPC. I could theoretically write on it, but it won't connect to my computer. Which means I don't write on it, because if I did, I'd have no way to transfer the file, and I'd have to retype it. Also, I have to hunt-and-peck with the stylus to type (or handwrite, but then what's the point of having a PocketPC? *grin*). But sooner or later I need to take it to Best Buy and get it to work (or get a new computer, *sigh*), so when I do that, I'll buy a foldout keyboard so I can type when I visit Annie, Tracey, etc.

Columnist
Columnist
Meerkat, when I have time, I do write on my Palm Pilot with a foldable keyboard and then hotsynch it to my computer. Is the hotsynch option not available with your Pocket PC? (Hotsynch - downloading information from either the main frame to the Palm or vice versa.)

I love my foldable keyboard. It's easier to make typos on, but I just edit them out later. It also has the 'ooh, that's cool' thing going when I unfold it in public. People are fascinated by it!

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by Melisma:
I'd seriously like to get a Palm Pilot, or something of that ilk. Admittedly, I'm really ignorant where they are concerned, so can anyone give me some ideas of what sort of thing might work for me?
I have a Palm m130. Her name is P'da. She came with Word and Excel and a few games, then I bought more games for her. In Word, I currently have 82 documents (74 of which are fic) totaling 3599K. And there's still 1152K of free space. All that memory is without the available extra memory card. She also came with PalmReader which is a way to view e-books. I've purchased two books from the internet already. They were a lot cheaper than buying the actual paperback and a lot less to carry. They're not on the P'da now, but I can save them on my harddrive until I need to sync them to the handheld.

P'da was a birthday present last year, but I've seen ads for about $150-200 (US dollars). She is the absolute best present I have ever gotten. I especially loved that I could play games or read fanfic in the airport and not have to carry too much stuff. thumbsup

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by Shadow:
my folks think serial killers hang out online, so I have to write in secret.
rotflol

When I read this, I took it to mean your parents are worried that you will become a serial killer because you spend so much time online... :rolleyes:

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I know it's hardly in the same sphere, but this tickled me when I read it just now on the BBC News website. And the (tenuous) link to fanfic? Well, much more time to write and read it, of course, as your friendly little robot does the hoovering. wink

LabRat smile (who wants one, but ain't paying a grand for it... wink )

Robot cleaner hits the shops

A robot vacuum cleaner that cleans your carpets all by itself has gone on sale in the UK.

The autonomous, cordless machine uses ultrasound to avoid obstacles and to work out the most efficient route around a room it has been set to clean.

While other firms have shown off prototype robot cleaners, Electrolux is the first to put one into production.

Modelled on an ancient arthropod the Electrolux Trilobite is in stores from Friday and should cost around £999.

Electrolux showed off one of the first versions of its Trilobite robot vacuum in 1997 on the BBC's Tomorrow's World popular science programme.

Like a bat, but unlike a trilobite, the 35cm-wide cleaner navigates by bouncing sound off its surroundings.

It uses ultrasound to avoid bumping into things such as table legs and animals. The sound system also helps it work out the dimensions of a room after which it computes the best route to cover all the floor space.

Magnetic strips must be placed at doorways and near stairs to act as invisible walls and stop it plunging to its doom down a flight of steps.

Electrolux said the Trilobite was completely autonomous and could easily be left alone to take care of cleaning carpets while its owners were out enjoying themselves.

"As it is completely independent, quick and efficient, the Trilobite clearly helps make life easier," said Patrick Le Corre, managing director of Electrolux floorcare UK.

The Trilobite has been on sale in some European nations for a few months.

The cleaner is powered by rechargeable nickel-metal hydride batteries and returns to its recharging station when it has finished cleaning a floor or has nearly run out of power.

A fully charged Trilobite can run for about 60 minutes between charges.

The Trilobite has three cleaning modes; normal, quick and spot.

In the normal mode it cleans along the walls first and then covers all open floor space. In quick mode it only does open floor space and in spot mode it concentrates on a single area.

The LED display will warn owners when the dust box needs emptying.

Electrolux said that the low profile of the cleaner, 13cm, means it can scoot under tables and beds to get the dust that vacuuming humans often miss.

Husqvarna, another subsidiary of Electrolux, already sells two different models of robotic mowers that can trim the grass on a lawn all by themselves.

In contrast to the Trilobite the robot mowers require wires to be placed around the lawn edge to ensure they keep on the grass.

Cyclone vacuum inventor James Dyson is also working on a robotic cleaner that, so far, has yet to get beyond the prototype stage.

A spokeswoman for Dyson said the prototype was still being refined and no date was set for when it would go on sale.

In 2002 Matshushita unveiled another prototype robot vacuum that it too was refining and hoped to put on sale by the end of 2005.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by HatMan:
so, how many people actually write stories on a palmtop?
I don't even though it would be easy to. P'da has a keyboard on the LSD screen that you use with the stylus, plus my mom bought me a separate keyboard that attaches to the bottom. It's kinda tiny but it does work (once I figured out how to turn it on).

I tend to write my entire story, in linear fashion on notepaper and type it later. I tried to write a story directly into Word once...but my computer froze and I had to reboot and I lost everything. You think it's hard to remember things while turning the computer on...try remembering everything you wrote and thought you wouldn't need to remember again! eek

Anne >^,,^<

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Anne Spear:
Originally posted by Shadow:
[b] my folks think serial killers hang out online, so I have to write in secret.
rotflol

When I read this, I took it to mean your parents are worried that you will become a serial killer because you spend so much time online... :rolleyes: [/b]
rotflol
Meanwhile, I don't even think they can grasp how much time I spend online.

And now attempting to stick to the topic, I used to always write fanfic in notebooks and then pick out what I liked to actually type up, but I got sick of writing the same thing twice. It does have its disadvantages. I lost 4 chapters of a Harry Potter fanfic a year or two ago when one of my disks stopped working. Never tried writing it again...just wasn't the same, and it's not like I can remember 30+pages off the top of my head.

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Back-ups, people, back-ups! Jesus saves, and so should you wink

PJ
who doesn't practice what she preaches goofy

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm so obsessive about backing up - especially WIPs - I shudder when I hear other people saying they don't. goofy

I learned the wisdom of frequent backups many years ago, when working on my little Amstrad WP. I still have fond memories of that little beast, despite it having some of the most illogical and frustrating features. Like no key to zoom down to the end of a file. On a particularly long story I could lose the will to write by the time I scrolled down through the pages to get where I'd last left off. laugh

And then it had this wonderful habit of only telling me that I had run out of memory to save when I tried to save the ten pages I'd just spent an hour writing. There were two options you could try after that - one of which would have saved the text - but in reality that one never worked and either way, no matter which option you chose, the story was consigned to oblivion. thumbsup

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
Lab, thanks for the post about the robot vacuum cleaner. I think I need one of those! Just this week the lady who cleans my room pushed my wallet (which had fallen off the chair I had put it on) under said chair while she was mopping my floor. She doesn't have the brains to pick something like that up??? Anyway, I searched high and low, and frantically, visions of having to call the Canadian Embassy to report a lost passport and ALL my other ID, before I finally moved the chair completely out of position and found the wallet.

Strikes me that if I had a robot vacuum cleaner, it, at least, would have the sense (laser or whatever) to avoid obstacles on the floor...

Anne, your Palm m130 sounds exactly what I need, then. You have a keyboard, it runs Word, and it has an extra memory chip... Hm... I don't have a USB port on my laptop, but I think the school's computer does, so I could prolly sync it from there... I'll have to check it out some more.

Any more Palm-type users out there that can tell me about your device?

Melisma (under her Rock, off to do some research)

- Yoda
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
so, how many people actually write stories on a palmtop?
Me. wave

I went away for a long weekend while I was writing All Stirred Up, and it did me 'ead in. I managed to find some paper and spent a number of hours writing in longhand, because I was in that wonderful/terrible state where I have to write or explode. Then I had to type it all in when I got back, and that was extremely tedious and annoying.

Within about a week, I'd bought myself an HP Pocket PC. Hunt and peck with the stylus on the touch-screen keyboard is awful, but the character recognition is reasonably good, so I can write looking at the developing story instead of at the keyboard. And there's word extension to cut down the strain on my writing hand - I no longer have to type more than 4 letters of "Superman". laugh

Best of all, it has a flash card slot, which it treats almost like ordinary memory. I've got a 128 MB flash card for it - that's a fair number of stories to read in the train or while the kids are at gymnastics lessons. smile And because we already had a flash card reader to read the photos from our digital camera, it's a quick and painless way to transfer files between the pocket PC and my desk-top. The alternative is to use a serial cable, which I believe is pretty slow and annoying (I've never bothered to try.)

So now I can write on trips away (like on the canal boat last year, when I would leave the tiller intermittently to scurry downstairs and scribble a few more paragraphs of Yvonne's birthday fic.) I can write in the garden, and while the kids are playing at the village playground, and on weekend mornings before I get out of bed, and even in the bath. I still need my desk-top screen for editing, because I need to be able to see more than a paragraph at a time, but it's a huge improvement over paper.

Mere

A diabolically, fiendishly clever mind. Possibly someone evil enough to take over the world. CC Aiken, Can You Guess the Writer? challenge
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I managed to find some paper and spent a number of hours writing in longhand, because I was in that wonderful/terrible state where I have to write or explode. Then I had to type it all in when I got back, and that was extremely tedious and annoying.
I babysat the other night and the kids went to bed at 9p.m. and their parents didn't home until nearly 1 a.m. I was stuck in a hotel room and trying to be quiet so the kids could sleep, so I figured it was prime time for writing. I wrote solidly the entire time and came back with pages and pages. Unfortunately, I still haven't got it all typed up yet, and I'm ready to tear my hair out. Never again. I write longhand all the time when I just want to write something brief - a snippet of dialogue, one quick scene - but I'll never write out this much longhand ever again. Maybe I can convince someone to get me Palm Pilot for my birthday.... smile

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
As I've mentioned before I love my handheld! I actually went so far as to name it, he's called Ed. When he broke the other day and I had to take him back to get him fixed (I felt like I was missing a limb until he was fixed), I consciously had to stop myself calling my handheld 'him' and 'Ed' - they guy in the shop would have thought I was crazy! laugh

Anyway, Melisma you wanted to know what everyone else had. Well, Ed is a Toshiba e330 pocket PC. I wasn't too sure about going for a pocket pc, as opposed to a palm, as Bill Gates is not my most favourite person. Windows/Microsoft/Excel and I haven't been getting on too well recently. However, getting a pocket pc meant it was easier to sychronise with my PC than a palm would have been. At least, that's what I was told. Plus, I know my way around Windows.

It came with the Pocket PC versions of Word and Excel. Its also got Internet Explorer (which you can surf the web on when the PPC is in its cradle connected to your PC), Mircosoft reader for e-books, solitare, adress book, task list etc.

There are 4 different ways of inputting text -
  • Block Recognizer - lets you write on the screen an drecognises characters that the Grafitti hand writing recognition programme uses
  • Keyboard - a keyboard appears on the bottom of the screen and you tap the letter you want with the stylus
  • Letter recognizer - you write regular letters, individually, on the bottom of the screen
  • and my new favourite, Transcriber - it lets you write anywhere on the screen in normal handwriting (as opposed to the individual characters for the Letter Rocognizer)

Ed has a screen light, which really has to be on for you to read anything, whic means the battery doesn't last just as long. It has 4 settings (low, medium, high and super laugh ) and I find that for reading it has to be on high, tho medium does ok. Ed is also in colour, rather than B&W, it doesn't make much/any difference to the power consumption but I think it does bump up the price a little (Ed was quite expensive). It has 64MB of memory which you can divide between storage and programs (the guy told me I'd never use it all, and I thought to myself 'uh-huh, you have *no* idea' wink ), it has a slot for an expansion card, it will act as a dictaphone, has a headphone socket and proably one or two other things I'm fogetting

Oh, and Ed lasts 5 or so hrs before he need recharging, and that with the background light on high.

It took a little getting used to, reading fic that was only abouyt 3 or 4 word across, but now I don't even notice it! It really is great for reading fic on. I also found it really simple to get used to writting on, my note book has been consigned to the bottom of my drawer! smile

Hope this helps a little, tho probably way more than you ever needed! blush

Loriel

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
Columnist
Columnist
Oh wow, thanks, Loriel smile I was looking on the web at Palms and saw a mention of Pocket PCs, and wondered how they would work - your description helps a lot!

Thanks to everyone who has told me about their toys, too. I haven't decided what I will do yet, but I will try to let you know when I do...

Melisma (ducking back under her Rock to get ready for class)

- Yoda
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard