Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
I don't know whether anyone else here has come across Kathryn Anderson's fanfic review website. It's an eclectic collection of reviews of lots of fanfic from different fandoms, including some from Lois and Clark. The Lois and Clark section is here .

She makes clear that her reviews are her own opinion, and she will say negative as well as positive things - but that aside, her reviews are an interesting read, whether or not I agree with every word of them. wink

Wendy smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Spiffy sight. I liked her comments, although I will open my mouth and say that I completely disagree with her about the Dawning series. IMHO, the B plot always took a backseat to the action for me.

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Fascinating stuff, Wendy! Thanks for the link smile

The first thing I looked for was whether she'd reviewed any of my stories but she hadn't. whinging Bearing up nobly, wink I read most of the other reviews... as you say, interesting even when I don't agree.

And I see from the descriptions that she's been paying attention to the Kerths... it was kind of a shock to realize those lists are all open to anyone with an ISP <g> But it's nice that she places some confidence in our results smile

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Columnist
Columnist
Yeah, interesting site, although I must blush to admit to only having read a few of the stories she mentions for LnC, so far. (Most of the rest are on my hard drive, waiting for me to have time to read them.) I'd find the site a lot easier to read if I could get rid of the lefthand panel, which seems to cut off part of the text in the review frame. But I suppose I'm not smart enough to do that - or maybe it's just the computer I'm using...

Melisma ( huh under her Rock)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'd find the site a lot easier to read if I could get rid of the lefthand panel, which seems to cut off part of the text in the review frame. But I suppose I'm not smart enough to do that - or maybe it's just the computer I'm using...
I noticed that last night, although I wasn't in the site long enough to try doing anything about it. It definitely wasn't like that the last time I visited it, but that was months ago. huh

If it persists for you I'd mail Kathryn and let her know. I'm sure she'll want to fix any site glitches.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
I'm impressed; she's done a nice job with this site, both in the layout and the sheer number of reviews she's posted.

It's also interesting that she has a section for L&C given that she admits she doesn't follow the show particularly closely. She has a mix of early and more recent stories (though, like Pam, none of my own). She does say she's been working her way through the 2003 Kerth list so I do wonder if she will eventually read anything I've written and what she might say. (Though since her personal tastes don't seem to like a lot of kissing, I have a feeling she might not like some of my scenes. wink )

Thanks, Wendy, for passing this on. And for those of you who read fanfic of other fandoms, I would definitely poke around her site. She has a lot on there, and other fandoms (Sentinel, for one) have many more reviews than her L&C section.

Oh, and I have to say, her "Gray List" (listing authors who have politely asked that reviews of their stories be removed) vs her "Black List" (people who rudely demanded the same) totally cracked me up. I like this woman's dry sense of humor.

Kathy

Blogger
Blogger
I first learned about this site when she e-mailed me to tell me she'd put the "Rescue" stories on it. Her e-mail also contained the disclaimer that her opinions were her own so, being the Nervous Nellie that I am, it took a long time to work up the courage to visit her site.

S
Blogger
Blogger
S
How did you ever find this interesting site, Wendy? I see that you've previously recommended stories to her so I guess you've been in correspondence?

I haven't finished exploring the site yet but I've enjoyed her reviews so far, although, like others here, I'm not in agreement with all her opinions.

Thanks for pointing out the part about the gray list and black list, Kathy, lol. I enjoyed reading that whole page. smile

it was kind of a shock to realize those lists are all open to anyone with an ISP
I agree, Pam, it's kind of scary that anything we post in our fandom, including our stories, can be read by anyone at anytime who has access to the Internet. eek

Annie, it looks like you never had anything to worry about; Kathryn seems to quite like your hilarious stories. smile

Shadowfax

Wendymr Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Shadowfax, I heard about it first last year some time when Kathryn emailed me to tell me that there was a review of Faux Pas there; having read it, I had a brief and friendly conversation with her in which I recommended some other L&C authors to try.

I'd forgotten all about it until last week when she emailed me again to say that she'd uploaded reviews of The Penfriend/History to her site. At that point, with more L&C stories added, I thought that people here might be interested. I'm pleased to see that FoLCs are - and I'm sure Kathryn would be interested in more recommendations of stories, if anyone cares to email her. I do enjoy reading her reviews; it's only one perspective, of course, but she has a nice style and I don't find her criticisms in any way unpleasant.

Wendy smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
S
Blogger
Blogger
S
I haven't come anywhere close to reading all her reviews yet (there seem to be a ton of em!), but I haven't seen anything unpleasant yet, either, which makes me more inclined to recommend stories to her.

I'm trying to think of LnC fanfic in addition to the stories she's already reviewed that might appeal to a non-FOLC who isn't as familiar with the series as we are. Anyone else doing the same thing?

Shadowfax

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Whenever I want to recommend a story to a non-FOLC, I usually start with "President Kent" blush And not just because I wrote it! laugh But that story is short, self-contained, and doesn't really need much familiarity with the tv series to be read and understood.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard