Print Thread
#139874 05/03/03 02:44 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Sorry if my questions sound silly.

1) The "revised" stories are the same ones, just edited/B-read more carefully, or new ones, based on the "unrevised" ones?

2) Are there any special reasons to revise a story?

Please don't recommend me to read a revised story in order to understand... I already have many "unrevised" ones queuing... smile
(Still, I think I'll do it sometime anyway laugh )

Thanks.

Anna_B.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#139875 05/03/03 03:54 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
In general, a "revised" story is one which has undergone fairly substantial changes from when it was first posted. It's neither just better edited nor a brand new story, but one in which scenes have been added and/or expanded, plot changes have been introduced or explained, etc.

The main plot line is usually the same, but the author has decided to go further with the story, perhaps in order to address problems that were pointed out during the first posting, or just because they felt they could do a better job with the story by reworking it.

Kathy

#139876 05/03/03 03:56 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
revised stories are the same ones you read before, but, well, revised... edited. parts have been rewritten, added, deleted, or otherwise changed. the author will sometimes repost all or part of a story if he or she feels that the changes have been significant enough to merit it.

as for why the changes were made... basically, because the author felt that the story would be better that way. there are tons of possible reasons (information was given to the readers too soon, information that the readers needed was missing, the plot would work better if it was taken in another direction, the author came across a better idea, the author thought of one or more scenes to add, the author wanted to improve style or flow, someone pointed out that something in the plot or characterization didn't make sense, etc) , but they all pretty much boil down to "because i like it better this way."

hope that helps.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#139877 05/03/03 06:57 PM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Well, Kathy and Paul have summed it up pretty nicely, but since I'm posting a revised story right now, I thought I'd jump in with a few specifics to futher clarify.

In Playing to Win, I made some major changes. I rearraged two pivotal scenes, altering the tone of much of the story, added 3-4 entirely new scenes and changed a number of other things within scenes. I added about 8 pages plus the rewriting. So while it's not an entirely new story, it's very different that what people read when I posted it earlier. I thought about sending it straight to the archive anyway, but there was some interest in seeing posted, and I felt like it was different enough to merit reposting. Also, a lot of people who commented the first time had made specific suggestions, and I was hoping to engage in a dialogue about the changes I'd made based on those comments. smile

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#139878 05/04/03 02:39 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Thanks a lot.

Anna_B.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard