Print Thread
#139868 05/02/03 06:04 PM
A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
I know what you're thinking: what is a movie recommendation doing in Fanfic Related? For crying out loud, she's the section editor, doesn't she know it should go in Off Topic?

Ah, but bear with me for just a second and it will all be clear. smile

As you all know by now, there is nothing I love to discuss more than newspapers. My biggest pet peeves are stories with factual errors about the way newsrooms work because they jolt me out of the story. And I *adore* people who ask me questions about newspapers - either on the boards or via email - because it gives me the chance to ramble about my favorite topic. So, as I was composing my novel for the current question that was posted in this section, I got to thinking about my favorite movie, and how if everyone watched it, it would give them a really good idea of how newsrooms really work. I love LnC more than any other show ever, but it's newsroom wasn't really accurate. This movie is funny, poignant, suspenseful and all-around wonderful with an all-star cast and superb writing. If you've ever written or thought about writing a story and just wanted to know what a newsroom REALLY looks like or how reporters/editors really interact, please watch this movie. It's so good. And, it's full of story ideas. smile

You can read the official imdb plot summary and review here: The Paper

On a somewhat related note, I was trolling the web for review of the movie to share when I stumbled across this website Paul Schindler . Paul Schindler is a news veteran who has written for the now-defunct Oregon Journal, AP, UPI and many others and has also worked in broadcast news and now he runs a magaizine I think. This man knows what's he's talking about. Anyway, this specific part of his web site is devoted to hollywood's portrayal of women in the newsroom and it's absolutely fascinating. Definitely worth checking out. Something to think about as we are writing. And what does he have to say about The Paper?

"The absolute best, most realistic performance, which also reflects the fact that a few women are now breaking through the glass ceiling in journalism, was rendered by the most oustanding actress to play a woman journalist ever. I speak, of course, of Glenn Close in The Paper, the best journalism movie ever made. Even Marissa Tomei, who plays Michael Keaton's pregnant reporter-on-leave wife, shows us the conflict generated for women by a serious journalism career in the 90s."

Okay, stopping for real now,
Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#139869 05/02/03 06:27 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh wow, it's a Ron Howard film! I'm sold! I might rent it next week after finals.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#139870 05/04/03 03:49 PM
S
Blogger
Blogger
S
Thanks for the heads-up, Annie. I always wondered how accurate the newsroom scenes were in L&C. I'll rent the movie as soon as I can. thumbsup

Have you ever seen Absence of Malice? I'd be interested in knowing how accurate the newspaper stuff is in that movie. Also the Superman movies with Chris Reeve.

Do you ever read novels about journalism by newspaper people? Have you ever read Regrets Only by Sally Quinn? I found it a bit tedious at times but there was an interesting section where the journalist had to decide whether or not to do something that would further her own career and would at the same time hurt her lover's career. I think about that part whenever I get irritated by The Foundling episode. No, the situations aren't exactly analogous - but I can't say any more without giving spoilers.

Can you recommend any other books or movies that show the world of journalism accurately? Okay - editing my post: I just read the article by Paul Schindler and saw his list of recommended movies and books. How many of those have you read/ seen? Did you see the Billy Wilder film Ace in the Hole, a.k.a. The Big Carnival? Brilliant, but biting.

Glad to know there's a journalist here; I'll think of more questions for you later. wink

Incidentally, I tuned into CNN today and caught the tail end of a show where they were discussing a journalist for the NY Times who had been caught plagiarising. I got the impression that this is a weekly show that deals with ethics in the media. It might be a good source of inspiration for stories. Anyone else seen this show?

Editing again, just saw this.

4. Have you been impacted or inspired by any movies that feature journalists?

"Absence of Malice" made me more careful about both facts and implications. "The Paper" made me more careful about not putting the job before the marriage. The Superman TV show and comic book actually contributed mightily to my decision to become a journalist; I loved Superman.
Shadowfax

P.S., Annie have you read any of Jody Jaffe's novels? (Chestnut Mare Beware, Horse of Different Killer) I noticed you're in Chapel Hill - Jaffe's novels take place in Charlotte, which is where the author, who IIRC is a journalist, used to work. (I think she moved to Washington, D.C. but my memory may be faulty on any or all of these points. wink )

#139871 05/05/03 07:13 PM
A
AnnieM Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
A
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I've been busy with finals and BRing. No, I haven't read or watched most of these.

I do own all of the Superman movies. It's been awhile since I watched them, but I can't remember anything jumping out at me as blantently incorrect.

I have seen Citizen Kane, which I know I should love, but I just don't. I can't explain it, I just didn't really enjoy it. Maybe I should give it another chance. Can't recall it well enough to critique it.

Broadcast News is a great movie. It's about Broadcast news rather than Print news, but from what I know, it's pretty accurate. Incidentally, it's my soon-to-be roommate's favorite movie. He's obsessed with it.

Never Been Kissed is one of my favorite movies. Their newsroom is pretty different than ours, but considering it's the Chicago Sun Times, I wouldn't be surprised if they really were that crazy and disorganized. <G>

I tend to read a lot of non-fiction about journalism, but I haven't read a whole lot of fiction. I'm always drawn to novels about journalists, but I'm usually really disappointed in their portrayals. I'm sure the ones written by journalists are much better though. I'll have to check some of them out. I'll definitely check out Jaffe's novels. Charlotte is one of my top choices when I start looking for a job next spring.

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#139872 05/06/03 12:01 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, seeing as we've established on IRC that I'm older than dirt wink I think I might as well recommend one of my favorite newspaper movies -- His Girl Friday, with Cary Grant. It's hilarious, and Broadcast News was a remake of it. I've no idea if it was accurate at the time, and things have doubtless changed a lot since... but what the heck, it's still a great movie wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#139873 05/07/03 10:15 AM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, the newsroom isn't the star of this movie, but the lead character is a journalist (and her ex-boyfriend her editor) and the fact that she and her ex are both writers is relevant to the storyline ... so I thought I'd jump in with the title, in case anyone is looking for something new to rent this weekend. smile

The movie is called "Kissing Jessica Stein" and it has fast become one of my favorites. It was a smaller indie film from 2002 (I rented it last fall, soon after it hit the video stores), so you may not have heard of it. But I found it to be so utterly delightful that I try to recommend it whenever I can.

I like to sum up the movie by saying "Can a straight woman find love in a non-straight relationship?" but the story is so much more than that. I think anyone who has a best girlfriend will appreciate the humor (and I laughed throughout -- it's very funny) but also the emotion of the story. There is also the subplot of Jessica's cynical ex-boyfriend, bitter because he's given up his own writing to work as an editor instead -- and who may be regretting giving up his girlfriend now, as well.

Here's the official description:

KISSING JESSICA STEIN is a fresh take on the subject of sex and the single girl. When we first meet Jessica - a sensitive but neurotic New York journalist - she is at the end of her emotional rope. Her brother's engaged, her best friend's pregnant, she hasn't dated in a year, and she can't sleep.

After an optimistic but nightmarish dating spree, she happens upon an intriguing personal ad, whose only drawback is that it's in the 'women seeking women' section. On a daring whim, she decides to answer it. She meets funky downtown hipster Helen Cooper for drinks and, to her surprise, they click instantly. Their evening of banter, connection and heated debate culminates in a kiss that confounds and intrigues even the reluctant Jessica.

With conventional gender roles absent, the two women proceed to muddle through an earnest, but hilarious courtship, making up the rules as they go along. KISSING JESSICA STEIN is a modern romantic comedy that breaks all the rules - it blurs the lines between friendship and romantic love, and finds the funny, surprising and ultimately poignant overlap between the two.
OK, so yeah, it's a chick movie <g> but my husband liked it too. We both found it clever, well-written, and very funny. smile

Kathy

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard