Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#139770 04/28/03 10:57 AM
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
When I asked the Zoomway's FoLCs, they told me that posting on that site as well as here would be no problem. I was thinking to do it from now on, but I think that most people are the same here and there.
I would like to know whether I'm right or wrong.

Btw, I would like to ask something else that I asked there, too.

What would you think about a short story in Spanish?

Thanks.
Anna_B.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
Top Banana
Top Banana
It's no problem to post on both sites. But it's not really the same people anymore. Anyway, have fun here.

And I don't think it's a problem if you write and post in Spanish. There are more Spanish Folc's out here. (and Rat would love more Foreign Language submissions wink )

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Anna - you post where you want to! It's all about having fun. jump If you're having fun covering all bases - keep it up!

Saskia answered your other question for me. <G> If you'd like to submit your Spanish story to the Archive after you've posted it on the mbs I'll be delighted.

And there have been a couple of non-English stories posted on the mbs already, so I can't see it being a problem here either.

I say - go for it!

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
LabRat,

Just asking for the sake of curiosity. Is the Archive capable of displaying Chinese? wink Not that I'll ever write a fanfic in Chinese, of course. smile Writing in English would be challenging enough, as it is.

Actually, I have been thinking off-and-on about a fanfic whose setting is in Imperial China. Something similar to to the Soulmates Chronoicles, if I ever get it written.

Is that kind of story considered an Elseworld fic at all? Or is the term "Elseworld" confined to stories set in modern 20th/21st century that are just not the Current or Alternate universes, like Chris Mulder's MMIKC or Mobile Richard's "Life In a Different World" and "Queen Lois" or Wendy Richard's "Big Boys Do Fly"?

--meclone2--

A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
Thanks for your replies on the first question. I see there's a good mood between us FoLCs, and this will help us go on.
Thanks for encouraging me to write in Spanish too. I think my teacher will be pleased and (I hope that) it will help me with my composition on Diploma Basico de Espanol. laugh
Btw LabRat how many languages do you speak? Seems like they're a lot... since Saskia said that you are pleased with foreign languages fics.
I think that I couldn't find anyone here who understands my language, though... mecry not much people speak Greek.

There are two things I 'd like you (or anyone else) to help me, though.
1) What do you mean by mbs?
2) How do I submit a story to the Archive?

Thanks.
Anna_B.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Meclone2, sadly, I think Chinese might give it a problem. But if you ever write one, let me know. Never rule out nothing is our motto. laugh

As far as I know, your Imperial China story would be an Elseworld, yes. I'm not aware that there's anything that ties the category down to a particular time. And it sounds extremely interesting! I'd certainly be intrigued to read it. I'm a bit of a sucker for that kind of thing.

Btw LabRat how many languages do you speak? Seems like they're a lot... since Saskia said that you are pleased with foreign languages fics.
Not a one, I'm afraid. <g> There are some who would contest I can barely speak English. wink What Saskia meant was that I'd be delighted as the current Editor-in-Chief of the Fanfic Archive. We have a section for foreign language stories here . It's very small at the moment and we'd love more submissions for it. Which is why I tend to get very excited and pounce on anyone who offers us another one. goofy

About your other questions:

mbs = messageboards.

To submit a story simply send it to me at the eddress below. You can find out how to prepare it for submission and other FAQs here .

LabRat
labrat@blueyonder.co.uk

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Thanks LabRat! laugh

Summer holidays are coming. 4 months with nothing to do. And since I'm returning home for the holidays (from one SARS region to another, imagine that), my parents will probably want me to stay indoors as much as possible. *gives the Muse a kick*.

Maybe. Just maybe....

--meclone2--

Top Banana
Top Banana
Yes, that's what I meant. It's nice to see that other Folcs write in their own language, which encouraged me to write in Dutch too. Go look in the TOC if you want to see it, there's even an explanation.

Now my real question... how many of you actually read the stuff in other languages? Besides Dutch and English, I can follow Frisian, German and French. The reason I ask? Maybe, very mabye, in a future far from now, I may write more Dutch fic...

Anyone interested in it? Or should I just leave it and continue in English? (which is easier btw)

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
A
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
A
To Saskia: I can't answer for everyone, but at least I'd read everything in Spanish. I would make an attempt if I found a story in French, too, but, unfortunately, my French are in a low level at the moment.
I'm sorry that if you write a story in Dutch I wouldn't be able to read it, but don't worry I think many people would, and they'd love to.
To LabRat: If you are pleased with every foreign language, it would be especially easy for me to please you, if you include Greek smile But I don't think you would be pleased enough with it, for I doubt if there are more than five people here understanding my language. mecry

Anna_B.

P.S.: Btw, is there anyone here who is Greek, or who understands it?
(I hope I'll receive answers)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hah, me plus Spanish = no way. Which is ironic considering the fact that I recall spanish being spoken quite a lot in my grandmother's house when I was little. But getting back on track, I would read stories in French, and that's the only language I could probably comprehend aside from English (which I just butcher after midnight. :p )

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
As a French major who's always looking for more outlets to practice, I would certainly read fics in French. I also know some Spanish, and would like to improve it (slowly but surely...someday I'm gonna get the hang of it...), and fic seems like a great way to learn new vocabulary while having blissful sighs and maybe even some Eeeps!

Sorry, Anna, I don't speak Greek, but since my goal is to know at least 7 languages before I die (which I plan to do at 142...only 121 years left to do all that I have planned! eek ), it's certainly a possibility that I'll learn it. Actually, if I could find a teacher, I'm interested in Greek, Latin and Hebrew...unfortunately, they're not common languages to be taught at community colleges, or even the local university. frown If you write a fic, I could use it as practice, too. laugh

Bethy

PS Saskia -- I don't speak Dutch, unfortunately, but if you want to continue writing in it, I say go for it!

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Bethy, I could teach you some basic Hebrew... except I'm not sure how to do that online... hmm.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
bethy, if you ask someone at your local hillel, i'm sure they can put you in touch with a hebrew teacher. many hillels offer basic hebrew classes. you can find more at the hillel homepage, or, more specifically, you can go to the local hillel finder, which should be able to tell you about the hillels in your state.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Columnist
Columnist
Looks like an interesting site, Paul, even for a non-student Gentile like me. I've bookmarked it, thanks!

Melisma (on a posting tear, here under her Rock - Meriweather, here I come!!!)

smile1 hyper rotflol

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
Merriwether
Merriwether
Paul, she's currently in Korea. Not too many Hillels there. wink

Actually, there aren't even any Chabads there!

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
melisma is in korea, rivka, but i was pointing it out to bethy, who, i'm pretty sure, is still in the US. smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Uh, right, I knew that...

blush

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Columnist
Columnist
Might not be any... whatever it is ... over here. But on the site Paul posted, was a Ask a Rabbi option, so, well, I did smile

Melisma (ducking back under her Rock shyly)

peep

- Yoda
Merriwether
Merriwether
Chabad is a Jewish organization that seems to be practically everywhere. wink

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Columnist
Columnist
Is there a website for them?

Melisma (ducking shyly back under her Rock)

blush

- Yoda
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard