Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#139735 04/27/03 03:34 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Sorry if these are kind of obvious questions, but since I'm new to fanfic I kinda get turned around b/c of all the indexes/archives, etc. confused

When the archives are referred to you mean this site, right? http://www.lcfanfic.com/

Are all the stories listed on Zoom's message board fanfic index also there?

What about nfic? I figure annesplace is the main archive for that, correct? And the current stuff I would find on the boards?

I guess I'm just overwhelmed by the sheer amount of catching up I have to do and I don't want to miss out on any of it!! wink

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
#139736 04/27/03 03:52 PM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Hey Liz,

Yes, the Archive that we tend to refer to is www.lcfanfic.com. A lot of the stories that have been posted on the Message Boards tend to end up on there eventually. But that's up to the author to submit them, and there are going to be some that don't go there.

Annesplace is the main nfic site, and she also has a PG fic site on there too - I've never done a comparison between her PG archive and THE Archive, but I'd imagine a lot of the stories are on both.

And don't worry about the amount of catching up...there's a lot, but it'll be FUN!!! laugh

Jill goofy

Beaker: Special Talents: Scientific assistant, Victim
Last Book Read: "1001 Meeps to a Bigger Vocabulary"
Quote: "Meep! Meep! Meep!"
Never Leaves Home Without: Medical Coverage
#139737 04/27/03 03:54 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yup, you got it down. Now not everything that's been posted at Zoom's boards (and now here) always makes it to the archive and annesplace, if I'm not mistaken, but from what I've seen and read, the majority of it does. You'll catch up soon enough; it's addicting! :p

Just so this post isn't a total waste since you posted like a minute before I did, I took the liberty of peeking in the PG section on Annesplace, and I'm seeing a lot of stuff that's on the Archive, too.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#139738 04/27/03 08:35 PM
Kerth
Kerth
There are some good stories that didn't reach the archives, and some of them are looong.

The Zoomway MBs index it's useful for that. Zoomway MBs Index

For example, you could find the Silly Revellations at Annesplace, but you could read the comments that people made at the old Zoomway boads. Some of them are as good as the revelation. wave

"Practice up your shielding spells...and remember to duck if you see green light coming your way."

Harry Potter to Wizengamot in OotP trial

A Bad Week in the Wizengamot
#139739 04/29/03 05:59 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Plus, a lot of stuff goes to the archive without ever being posted on any message boards...

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#139740 04/29/03 08:50 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Originally posted by Anne Spear:
Plus, a lot of stuff goes to the archive without ever being posted on any message boards...
**coughFromPeopleLikeMeWhoGetIntimidatedByMessageBoardsAndFeedbackcough**

laugh

#139741 04/29/03 09:08 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
intimidated by feedback???

i think that's the first time i've heard a writer admit to that problem...

care to explain?

just worried about too much criticism and not enough support? if so, you should know better by now. <g>

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
#139742 04/29/03 08:39 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The simplest answer? I grew up in a very critical household. But seeing as how I'm my absolute own worst critic, it surprises me that I think anything you guys say can possibly be any worse than what I'm already thinking. But you're right, I really should know better. <g>

#139743 04/30/03 07:11 AM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
I think everyone has summed up the answers to your questions nicely.

I just wanted to address Jen's fear of feedback. I can understand this. When I first started posting (was that really only a year and half ago? it feels like ages.) I was nervous. It's hard being your own worst critic and anticipating having those sad private thoughts broadcast in front of other people, especially people you admire.

However, I *strongly* urge anyone who is a closet writer, to come out and post. First of all, I *promise* you, no one is going to say, "you suck" "this is awful" etc. Not going to happen. You will be amazed at the outpouring of compliments and encouragement. Second, if you take the constructive criticism (and that's the only kind there will be, I promise) to heart, it will make you a much better writer. I have learned SO MUCH from the talented people here. There have been so many times when I've posted something and known something was not quite right, but just didn't know whyI didn't like it what I could do to fix it. But then I post, and someone says, "You know, if you just..." And there it is. The answer I was looking for. They've helped me with everything from simple word choices, to naming characters/companies, to rearranging my entire story to make it more cohesive. Anybody's Baby is a COMPLETELY different story than what I would have submitted to the archives without having posted it first. I love that story, it's probably my favorite of all that I've written, and that's because whenever I read it, I think back on all the fun I had posting it and working on it with other people. smile

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
#139744 04/30/03 07:22 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
It can be nervewracking to let anyone else see your intellectual baby, even if you don't expect the worst... but I agree with Annie, it will be worth it smile

I have learned *so* much about writing from this fandom. When I started I knew how to tell a story, but I've learned a heck of a lot about style, plotting, grammar, POV, pacing, etc., since then. And now I usually remember to spell-check, too wink

Some of that was from beta-readers, some of it was from being part of Season 5 and seeing the behind-the-scenes editing comments on each ep, and some of it was from comments folders and private feedback.

And I promise, we're very nice to new writers. Well, except for the fact that we'll nag you to death to post more... wink

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#139745 04/30/03 01:36 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Speaking of Anybody's Baby, Annie, I finished it this afternoon. No fair making me almost cry in the carpool line (waiting for my kids' school to be over)! thumbsup

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#139746 04/30/03 06:16 PM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Speaking of Anybody's Baby, Annie, I finished it this afternoon. No fair making me almost cry in the carpool line (waiting for my kids' school to be over)!
Really enjoyed it!
Thanks, Rivka! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sorry it made you cry, but if it makes you feel any better, it made me cry too. <G>

Annie

#139747 04/30/03 06:27 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
I don't mind stories that make me cry -- actually I find them cathartic. It was the choking back the tears so I didn't make a display of myself in the carpool line that I was not entirely thrilled about. And somehow, I don't think calling IAAF! would have helped... wink

Besides, then I had ten more minutes to sit and wait, and no more fic to read! frown Clearly terrible planning on my part. goofy

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
#139748 05/01/03 06:10 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Reading this thread has made me want to post my fic here! However, since its for a completely different fandom, not even original fic, I can't! *sigh* I suppose this means I'll have to write some L&C. I *did* have an interesting premise for a story, but I don't have the RL knowledge to do it. frown

Loriel (who did start an original fic but has no idea where to take it (story wise) and doesn't even have enough to post to ask for opinions! grumble )

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#139749 05/01/03 07:49 AM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
*sigh* I suppose this means I'll have to write some L&C.
Works for me, Loriel. goofy

I *did* have an interesting premise for a story, but I don't have the RL knowledge to do it.
Well, that's where your very own personal research department comes in handy. You can either post here on the mbs and ask for those who have the experience to share. Or, if it's something you'd rather not post <g>, post and ask for some volunteers to look over your idea and brainstorm it out with you, privately by email or on irc.

Brainstorming is a whole lot of fun and usually pretty darn useful for getting a story out of the doldrums.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#139750 05/01/03 08:05 AM
Columnist
Columnist
You can also do a lot of good old fashioned research on the internet. It's amazing what you can find by googling something.

I've found myself looking at websites that I never imagined myself looking at. Yesterday I was looking at pictures of guns and what different models look like and how they work. This is not something that the average 20-year-old female college student from Seattle looks at, but it was all for the sake of a story. laugh

~Anna

#139751 05/01/03 08:58 AM
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
This brings up another good point. Don't ever hesitate to ask for help on the boards. Whether you need help with grammar, characterization, plot development or fact checking, there is bound to be someone here who can (and will) help you. One of the many wonderful benefits of having such a diverse group of friends here, is that we have built in experts. You would not believe some of the random (but useful) knowledge people here have. And if people don't know, they can almost always point you in the direction of someone who does or a web site that can explain it.

And this...

Loriel (who did start an original fic but has no idea where to take it (story wise) and doesn't even have enough to post to ask for opinions!
If you have a vague idea, that's enough. Every story starts with one mental picture ... one question ... one something. You wouldn't believe some of the stories I've asked for help with. "Hey guys, what if Lois had to babysit? What do you think would happen?" or "Does anyone remember that Paul guy Lois talked about? She dated him in college right? I wonder what ever happened to him...." Trust me, it's worth asking for help. smile

Annie

#139752 05/01/03 09:24 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've found myself looking at websites that I never imagined myself looking at. Yesterday I was looking at pictures of guns and what different models look like and how they work. This is not something that the average 20-year-old female college student from Seattle looks at, but it was all for the sake of a story.
LOL, Anna. How true. I'm still convinced I'm on the CIA's most wanted list after some of the sites I had to check out for Masques. goofy After guns, tasers, psychological torture, kidnapping, Stockholm Syndrome and ether-based drugs and how quickly they can knock someone out, I think they were probably tracking my movements. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#139753 05/01/03 12:08 PM
Columnist
Columnist
After guns, tasers, psychological torture, kidnapping, Stockholm Syndrome and ether-based drugs and how quickly they can knock someone out, I think they were probably tracking my movements.
ROTFL Labby! I don't doubt it. And my next WIP, although not nearly to Masques porportions, will be much worse than EAJ. I just might be joining you on that list.

~Anna (who hopes that posting that tinyest little tidbit about her next WIP won't bring out the anti-angst shears)

#139754 05/01/03 05:00 PM
Columnist
Columnist
peep

Hearing you guys talk, makes me anxious to read the stories you are talking about. So get out the pens and notebooks (or get those typing fingers in gear, depending on how you prefer to get the first draft down) and WRITE...

I know from my own experience (and I'm sure there are others with similar experiences) that you can talk and talk about your story ideas all you want, but when you actually start getting them captured on paper or WORD .doc, it makes your muse sit up and realize she needs to get to work. (Um, I won't repeat my story from the thread about 'what was your first fanfic' - if you want, you can go have a look...)

Melisma (slinking shyly back under her Rock to see what you all will come up with)

peep

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
#139755 05/02/03 12:37 AM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I might go and post the beginning of my orginal fic. Will need to fill in some names and stuff first, and if you read it, beware, it may get edited, and/or may languish in the Land of the Unfinished til at least the Summer Holidays (love Uni for that very reason! wink ).

If you want to see my L&C idea, I started a new thread here , come over and join me! laugh

Loriel

PS. Anna, I'll send wildguy after you if you keep teasing us like that! wink

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
#139756 05/02/03 03:17 AM
A
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A
Originally posted by AnnieM:
[QUOTE] it made me cry too. <G>
Wow. I'm not the only one who cried at her own story. whinging I've actually had to put my notebook aside to compose myself before going back to it and that was in the waiting room at the dealership while my car was being serviced. I hate it when that kind of stuff happens in public. mecry

Anne >^,,^<

"I only know how to make four things, and this is the only one without chocolate." Lois Lane "All My I've Got a Crush on You 10/24/1993
#139757 05/02/03 07:15 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOL, Anna. How true. I'm still convinced I'm on the CIA's most wanted list after some of the sites I had to check out for Masques. After guns, tasers, psychological torture, kidnapping, Stockholm Syndrome and ether-based drugs and how quickly they can knock someone out, I think they were probably tracking my movements.
lol, labby. i know that feeling. i was BRing PttC for sarah and, at one point, ended up sifting through sites looking for information on the assembly, parts, and triggering mechanisms of nuclear bombs. not sure if that's worse than your list or not... quality vs quantity.. hmm... wink

as for annie and anne... makes me glad i'm primarily a comedy writer. i've never cried about my own stories (never believed in catharsis, anyway...), but i have laughed at them on occasion. in a good way, usually. laugh

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard