Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm told that cider in the US is non-alcoholic (strange concept goofy ). So what I really need is some kind of potent local beverage that might be on sale at a country festival and which might lull Lois into a sense of false security so that she drinks more than she really ought to.

I could go with beer of course, but I'd really like something a little more...home-made?...so to speak. Something that Lois wouldn't suspect was potent and wouldn't recognise necessarily as something to watch out for sneaking up on her.

Originally, I had in mind the kind of local 'scrumpy' cider that tourists tend to buy in the West Country. Very potent and locally brewed. But I'm not sure if there's a US equivalent.

So any ideas welcome!

Also, may as well clear up a few odds and ends while I'm here... <g> If anyone can think of a name I could use as an example of someone who is considered to be the perfect specimin of the male physique I'd be grateful. It could be a sports star, a movie star or someone known for promoting abs in infomercials, some kind of health kick guru - that kind of thing. A US reference, please, thanks.

I had a third question and have promptly forgotten what it was. Oh yes! That little yellow bird who's a friend of Snoopy's. He's called Woodstock. Right?

Thanks for the help!

LabRat smile (who's written a whole five paragraphs today and is very pleased with herself. wink )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
N
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
N
Cider isn't necessarily non-alcoholic. We would just call it "hard" . A popular drink is "Hard Apple Cider" aka "Applejack". That would be a good homemade, leave some underage hot shots tossing it in the woods kind of drink. laugh

And, yeah, he's Woodstock.

Best,
Sherry

Visit www.marykay.com/sfmurphy for wonderful cosmetic products and an opportunity to enrich the lives of women.
Columnist
Columnist
The only time I've ever been drunk was off of Jello shots. Those things are very sneaky cause you don't realize how much alcohol you're consuming. OTOH, I don't know if you'd find them at a festival.

Perfect specimin of the male physique? I'd say Dean circa S2, but that's probably not the first person that most people outside of folcdom would think of. I'd go with Arnold Schwartenegger (however you spell that) or Sylvester Stallone, or Vin Diesel or Danny Devito.

~Anna (who hopes everyone knows she was just kidding on that last suggestion)

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
As a sorority girl, I should be an expert about different varieties of homemade alcohol. Too bad I really don't drink because my father is an alcoholic.

Hmm, like Anna I do remember having fun making jello shots for our big party last year laugh - my indian self-proclaimed "tea tottler" friend and I made them together. It was funny, since the two of us didn't drink, we really skimped on the alcohol in the shots - but we made so many of them, no one seemed to notice.

Even though I was the sorority's risk manager and had to stay sober, the jello shots were a very big hit laugh . They taste like jello with the slightest hint of alcohol. They are even better if you mix sprite, vodka and jello. They are sort of fizzy and taste like jello. I am not sure if they would be available at a country fair, though (I am scared of the country and would never venture to a country fair!).

However, something that Lois might not notice that could be spiked with a lot of alcohol might be jello squares rather than jello shots. I've seen people bring innocent-jello to parties not in shot glasses that was really, really spiked.

My best friend and I had an idea to start a business actually using jello shots. We love these little jelly candies in china town that are of a kelp base and come in many flavors (taro, mango, lechee, etc) and we thought that making jello shots in exotic flavors using a kelp jelly would be a good idea. We made some for our party with mango syrup, this strange, scary, brown kelp gel, and a ton of vodka. No one wanted to try them, and they wouldn't harden, so we ended up putting them in the freezer. A couple of people at our party (my best friend included) got so drunk that they eventually tried the brown seaweed jello shots. It wasn't the drunkenness that made them throw up - it was the scary jello shots wink .

Cider in the US can be hard cider. Acutally, of all the alcohol, it is probably my favorite. I was just recently introduced to it when my best friend got back from her study abroad semester in Australia.

As for the perfect male specimin, the first person that comes into my mind is Arnold Schartzenager - even though I really don't like him.

- Alicia

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, I'd say Ahnuld, too... or possibly Fabio <g> though he's a subject of much derision.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Jello shots sound interesting, but probably not exactly in tune with the scene. Applejack though, sounds perfect! Thanks, Sherry. smile

Perfect specimin of the male physique? I'd say Dean circa S2, but that's probably not the first person that most people outside of folcdom would think of.
ROTFL, Anna! Yes, probably not who Lois would think of at that. <g>

I'd go with Arnold Schwartenegger (however you spell that) or Sylvester Stallone, or Vin Diesel or Danny Devito
Danny Devito rotflol Actually, that's a point. Forgot to mention that this story is set in season one (small pause while LabRat tried to think what year that would be and fails miserably). So it would have to be a name associated with that time.

Ooooooh, Fabio. Would he have been around during season one? Wasn't he mentioned in that list of 'hunks' who sent Ultrawoman flowers? I'll check this out. Thanks, for the suggestion, Pam - sounds like he's a good bet! smile

LabRat (who's holding on to the idea of jello shots for the next party she has.... <G>)

Thanks again, everyone - you're all stars!

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S1= 1993-1994

<eg> She'd realize it was alcholic, but hey! Moonshine.

Laura (who doesn't drink, but comes from prime moonshine country!)

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
There's a drink called a Georgia Peach that might work

it's Lemonade actually....
with vodka, peach snopps and grenadines :p

But tastes like peach lemonade...

though I won't be having it until tonight...so I don't know how much alcohol you can taste.

-Breanna (who is throwing my soon to be sister in law a bachelorette party tonight)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
not sure if it's really a festival drink, but one that specifically came up in driver's ed class was "long island iced tea." it's a large glass of iced tea with several types of alcohol mixed in. looks innocent, tastes fairly innocent (i'm told), and contains the equivalent of 4 shots per glass.

also, as mentioned, there's hard cider and hard lemonade. you also might find some version of moonshine (a more or less generic term for "home brew") that was a bit more alcoholic than one might realize. that'd probably be given a unique local name (by the brewer or possibly the brewer's friends). not sure how openly it'd be sold, but you could probably get away with it at a country fair.

fabio was definitely around during season 1. iirc, it was just about that time that he was popular enough to be recognized anywhere, accepted as the guy, and then made fun of for various things. smile in other words, i think season 1 was right about at the height of his career. laugh

and yes, this [Linked Image] is woodstock.

hope this helps. now, see if you can get to [Linked Image] smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Actually, the moonshine I've seen, you can tell it's pure alcohol. It's clear, it stinks to high heaven (teetotaller... can't stand the smell of alcohol) and it's got an extremely high alcohol content.

Hard cider is most likely the best bet. After all, everyone likes cider, and if some just happen to ferment... wink

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for the dates, Laura. Moonshine probably won't work in context, I don't think. I'd considered it, but it just didn't seem right.

Peach Georgia sounds lovely, Breanna. smile That might be a possibility too. If it tastes and looks like lemonade and it's name gives no indication of it's alcholic content, Lois could easily have been caught off guard.

Paul, thanks for the confirmation on Fabio. With this, he sounds more and more perfect. wink

Thanks for the additional info on Moonshine, Karen - definitely not going to work then. wink

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Looking forward to a story by Labrat that has Lois losing some control smile1

When, When, When.. hyper

Merriwether
Merriwether
Another classic is the "Fuzzy Navel" which is peach schnaaps and orange juice. Doesn't taste much like alcohol (very "fruit punchy") and if you don't realize what's in it, you can easily drink too much of it. I know it got very popular in the mid- to late-1980's, so I could see it being served as a special drink at the Smallville Fair in 1993 (though they'd definitely ID people so the kids didn't get any). I remember even my mom and her lady friends liked them.

"long island iced tea." it's a large glass of iced tea with several types of alcohol mixed in. looks innocent, tastes fairly innocent (i'm told), and contains the equivalent of 4 shots per glass.
<Gasp> No! You don't say! <bg>

This was one of my drinks of choice in college (Annie, don't you dare say a word wink ) and I still remember a bartender my friend and I were flirting with rambling off the ingredients he used to make them for us: Rum, Gin, Vodka, Triple Sec, and Coke. I believe there is also a splash of Sour Mix in there, and sometimes Tequilla.

I can't see anyone serving this at a booth at a fair, though ... it's definitely a "drink to get drunk on" and probably is the kind of thing Sheriff Rachel wouldn't be too happy about being served at a public gathering. <g>

That said, they just happen to figure prominently in a story Annie and I are working on at the moment ... heh heh heh.

Kathy

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Looking forward to a story by Labrat that has Lois losing some control
LOL, Trenna. Oooops. Well, she doesn't in this one. <g> I did that whole drunk thing in Lonesome, so not reprising that one. wink

Although...actually, yes, I guess you could say she does...but she happens to be in full control of her...er...facilties at the time. goofy

As for when...no clues. wink It's a surprise. Sssssssh. Say no more.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ooooops. Missed your post, Kathy, until I'd posted to Trenna.

I can't see anyone serving this at a booth at a fair, though ... it's definitely a "drink to get drunk on" and probably is the kind of thing Sheriff Rachel wouldn't be too happy about being served at a public gathering. <g>
LOL, yes, there is that. I really think I'm tending to lean towards Breanna's Georgia Peach, the more I think about it. I'm beginning to think that Lois might easily recognise Applejack for what it is. But something that looks like innocuous pink lemnonade. And it sounds like something you might find on sale at a stall at the Corn Festival, too.

Keen to read this collaboration from you and Annie, too...especially with the hints Annie's been dropping on irc. <g>

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Just a note on the Long Island Iced Tea -- I've never had one, but my cousin (whose friends got her schnockered on her 21st birthday <g>) tried one and couldn't stand it. At all. And it wasn't because of the iced tea part (I don't like ice tea, so I won't even try it), but because of all the liquor in it.

I realize you've already decided against it, Labby, but figured I'd say this for anyone else who wanted to know. <shrug>

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, there's the old football game trick of a drunk watermelon, which simply tastes like watermelon. Take a large watermelon and make a small core hole at one end. Pour a quart of vodka into it and reinsert the core. Roll it around for a while to distribute the alcohol, then slice as a normal watermelon and eat. Very plausible for a hot Kansas "Indian Summer" afternoon. So it's not even a drink, it's food. (Yes, I know single malt is considered a food group in some circles.)
BTW, there is the American "7 course dinner" - a pack of Twinkies (contains 2 cream filled white cake things) and a 6 pack of beer.
Unfortunately, I can't think of anyone better than Fabio for that time period. There is an extra hook though, he was on the cover of almost every paperback romance novel printed during those years. So his face (and chest) stared out of every magazine rack in the country. You wouldn't even have to use his name, just "the guy who is on all those paperback covers."
Looking forward to the final product jump
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Merriwether
Merriwether
because of the iced tea part (I don't like ice tea, so I won't even try it)
Just to clarify, there isn't any iced tea in a Long Island Iced Tea. The name (I presume) comes from the drink's appearance, which, with the rum and the coke and the other clear/pale liquors, has the light to medium brown color of iced tea. smile

As for taste, I always considered it one of those drinks that were easy to get drunk on partly because the taste is so deceiving. It never tasted as strong as it really was. But obviously everyone has their own preferences. smile

Kathy

Merriwether
Merriwether
I don't like LI Iced Tea either, and I don't mind the taste of alcohol. The mixture is just... blechy. (sorry, best word I can think of wink )

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
This thread looked interesting to me .... so I started reading. I've only gotten halfway through, though, as the fact I've spent the vast majority of today suffering from a hangover means the idea of alcohol is making me queasy. So I only got halfway through but still thought I should offer a couple of suggestions (someone else will have to provide names for these drinks, as i'm still not that coherent to remember):

1. Orange juice and vodka is very popular and a very easy way to get smashed.

2. Peppermint schnapps (ugh) shots is the reason I'm feeling like this today. As an added bonus, most people take a shot of chocolate syrup in addition to the alcohol ... it apparently tastes like candy and sounds like something Lois would like.

3. Finally, several years ago I was at a restaurant the night before Thanksgiving and ordered a milkshake. Being an innocent 15-year-old at the time, I had no idea until a friend of mine asked to have a sip that people noticed it was spiked. Apparently a waiter who had been fired and was working his last night decided it would make a good parting gift.

Anyway, back to a safer thread, in which alcohol is not mentioned ...

Elle Roberts

She's a dancer who doesn't dance. He's a painter who doesn't paint. It's like a bohemian version of the Island of Misfit Toys. – “Igby Goes Down”
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
1. Orange juice and vodka is very popular and a very easy way to get smashed.
hey, you mentioned one of the only cocktail recipies i know! that's called a screwdriver. smile never tried it, but i know the name! laugh

(it's 3am. this felt worthy of posting. sue me. :p )

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
LOL.

PS I hate screwdrivers. I'm pretty anti-vodka save for a few select martinis that I'll drink from time to time.

Meanwhile, (not that I do this but people are determined to get me blitzed on my 21st because I've never been drunk), but the easiest way for me to get plastered would be wine coolers.

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Just have to say thanks to LabRat for starting such a fun thread! laugh Some of the comments have had me rotflol ! I think what adds to the fun is the fact that I don't ever drink, and never have done. (My friends still live in hope that on day I'll I join them them in the Land of Alcohol. I think they're hopeful that my 21st, in a month, will do it!) And I'm getting a serious education here! laugh

Loriel (who can't wait to see the finished product!)

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I realize you've already decided against it, Labby, but figured I'd say this for anyone else who wanted to know. <shrug>
LOL, Bethy - no problem at all. It seems the thread has taken a turn into a nostalgia fest anyway - which I have absolutely no problems with. It's been really interesting reading these posts. And it's always useful for the future, when I might be able to use the info that doesn't fit this time around in something else.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anyone better than Fabio for that time period. There is an extra hook though, he was on the cover of almost every paperback romance novel printed during those years. So his face (and chest) stared out of every magazine rack in the country. You wouldn't even have to use his name, just "the guy who is on all those paperback covers."
Artemis - thanks for that little extra tag on Fabio and the romance novels - I might be able to work that in.

Just to clarify, there isn't any iced tea in a Long Island Iced Tea. The name (I presume) comes from the drink's appearance, which, with the rum and the coke and the other clear/pale liquors, has the light to medium brown color of iced tea.
Wow. All these years of reading about LI ice tea in novels and I never realised it was alchoholic or just rum and coke! LOL. Thanks, Kathy!

This thread looked interesting to me .... so I started reading. I've only gotten halfway through, though, as the fact I've spent the vast majority of today suffering from a hangover means the idea of alcohol is making me queasy.
Ouch, Elle. Hope you had a real good time to make it worthwhile. And that you can remember the real good time, too. goofy

2. Peppermint schnapps (ugh) shots is the reason I'm feeling like this today. As an added bonus, most people take a shot of chocolate syrup in addition to the alcohol ... it apparently tastes like candy and sounds like something Lois would like.
Yikes! Making me feel queasy just reading about it and without the hangover. <g>

LOL, Paul - it reminded me of the one and only time I can recall beating Stuart (hubby) at Trivial Pursuit with that question as the winning one. laugh I hate vodka drinks (hate most alcoholic drinks actually - pretty much stick to white wine, cider (and only these these days). Back in my youth I had expensive tastes and a sweet tooth with Southern Comfort and Ginger Ale being my favourite tipple) but I have had a fondness for that one ever since anyway. goofy

And ROTFL, Loriel. Glad you're having fun. smile I found your post amusing though because every time you post something I end up going 'Hey, me too!' <g> Beginning to wonder if we were separated at birth. goofy

My friend and I were infamous for saying we would never drink, hated the taste of alcohol, thought it was disgusting stuff. Then we turned 18 and hit discos. laugh Bicardi and Coke was the drink of the moment then - that was disgusting stuff but we knew no different, so we held on to our vow for a good few months on the basis we prefered Cokes. <g> But then...ah well. We discovered cocktails and white wine and it was all downhill from there on in. party

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I found your post amusing though because every time you post something I end up going 'Hey, me too!' <g> Beginning to wonder if we were separated at birth.
Either that great theory, or the fact the Great Minds Think Alike! laugh

And I wasn't *entirely* truthful in my last post, when I said I had never drunk. Over the years (at family occasions) I've tried alcohol, usually wine, and hated the taste. However at the prom in 6th year (last year of school) I tried... something, it could have been called madouri (how its pronounced, NOT necessarirly how its spelt! blush ), I vaguely remember it being green and tasting of cinnamon and/or melon and I liked that. And I think I've also tried Reef, didn't like that, but I think that may just have been the flavour I picked! Generally I don't drink cause I don't like the taste or I don't really see the appeal in getting drunk (and I usually have to drive home...), though if I keep trying all this stuff that doesn't actually taste like alcohol, I can see things changing! smile

I have however been drunk precisely once in my life. You're going to love this... laugh I never knew about it until New Year when we were over at my Aunt's. The conversation came about when we were discussing my Aunt and Uncle's wedding. I was a year and a half old at the time and at the wedding I got drunk! I was dancing all over the tables until I fell into a drunken slumber! goofy

So there you are, my one night of drunkeness, and I don't remember a thing... laugh Which may be a good thing, after all the stories I've heard! laugh

Loriel (who has just been yelled at for trying to post with too many graemlins!)

Edit: This is post number 25 - its only taken me 5 days to reach LabRat's daily total! /insert big grin Graemlin/

"Inappropriate attachment" didn't begin to cover the depth of the feelings Vaughn had for Sydney Bristow.
~Ties That Bind by RJ Anderson~

I ramble at http://www.livejournal.com/~loriel_eris
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I have a drinking problem. I learned to drink vodka & tonic while in England, and everywhere I went, it was served with lemon. In the US, they always put a lime, which just isn't the same... frown

The first time I tried mixing myself some vodka and tonic by myself, I had trouble getting the proportions right... it tasted wrong, so I added more tonic... it tasted even worse <g> More vodka, however, fixed that right up!

PJ
who mostly stopped drinking after she turned 21 -- once it was legal, the thrill was gone <g>

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
who mostly stopped drinking after she turned 21 -- once it was legal, the thrill was gone <g>
LOL, Pam, I did the same thing. I drank soooooooooooooo much more before I was 21 than I do now that I'm a ripe old 22 wink . Actually, I haven't had anything alcoholic since I was in Chicago last October.

- Alicia

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
wasn't season 1 right about the time when fabio was doing those "i can't believe it's not butter" commercials? maybe just a year or two after?

oh, and labby... long island iced tea isn't just rum and coke...

this site lists the following recipie:

Long Island Iced Tea

3/4 oz. each: Rum, Gin, Vodka, Tequila, & Triple Sec, Sour Mix, Splash of Cola

Shake liquors with Sour mix, Pour in Hurricane or Large glass, Add splash of Cola, Garnish with a Lemon wedge

there's also this recipie, which i found here:

Long Island Iced Tea
3 parts Triple Sec
1 part Light Rum
1 part Dark Rum
1 part Vodka
1 part Gin
1 part Vermouth
3 parts Sweet & Sour Mixer (Tavern brand is best)
6 parts Coca Cola (try not to use Pepsi, it's too sweet for this)
1/2 part Tequila (optional to taste; I never added it)
and, of course, Ice.

There are many recipes out there, but none surpass this one. Many thanks to Dave Fun and Bupos (what was his name again?) for giving me and the world the recipe back in 1983.

here's another variation (from here ):

Bartender's
Long Island Iced Tea

1/2 shot gin
1/2 shot rum
1/2 shot tequila
1/2 shot vodka
splash Triple Sec
splash sour mix
splash cola

Blend ingredients together and serve over ice or frozen.

so, the exact ingredients and amounts vary, but clearly... a bit more than rum and coke. laugh

Paul

Merriwether
Merriwether
Yeah, but plain rum & coke is ok-tasting. LI iced tea is blech.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LOL. Well, I'm not keen to try it, admittedly, with that list of ingredients. wink

Mind you, hate rum and coke too. goofy

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Okay, given the fact that I'm already known as the fandom lush given my responses to the hangover thread and the subsequent pasting of a very special email into the channel, I was hesitant to post here. <G> But I couldn't pass this up....

Long Island Iced Teas are probably my favorite drink. I have a pretty high tolerance, so I like things to be strong, and I just like the way they taste. Well, I was out last night and tried a new drink that was great. It's called a Georgia Iced Tea (a friend of mine bought it for me since I've been talking about moving to Savannah incessantly lately). It's basically an LIT with peach schnapps substituted for the tequila and sprite substituted for the coke. I highly recommend it. smile

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Originally posted by Loriel Eris:

However at the prom in 6th year (last year of school) I tried... something, it could have been called madouri (how its pronounced, NOT necessarirly how its spelt! blush ), I vaguely remember it being green and tasting of cinnamon and/or melon and I liked that.
I love medori smile1 . It is definately my favorite drink! I had my dad buy a large bottle for my best friend's birthday party (since I am the baby that started school early, all of my friends turned 21 before I could buy alcohol myself) and the two of us ended up drinking all of it (the whole bottle) at the party.

Only it was too alcohol-y for us. We had a recipe to make a medori, vodka and sprite - our recipe turned into 90% sprite, 10% medori and 0% vodka smile .

My other favorite is amaretto sour. At our "we hate a certain JMG gala" last year, we made tons of amaretto sours and spend the whole night talking about our least favorite professor after he made us write a 25 page design project - not 22 pages, not 26 pages - 25 exactly.

Anayway, I am way off topic here so I am going to stop.

- Alicia

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Drinks that don't taste of Alcohol...

Toostie Roll : Orange Juice and Creme de Cacao

Grasshopper: Creme de menthe and milk or cream shaken over ice and strained into a glass(tastes just like a minty milkshake)

strawberry daquari smoothie: crushed ice, ice cream strawberries, rum...

blue lagoon: vodka, blue curaco, dash of coconut rum, lemonade/limeade dash of sprite..

california rootbeer: galiano, coke

chocolate monkey or frozen cm: milk or ice cream, banana liquer, chocolate liquer...

that is all i can think of right now.. ps if you want the actual measurements of any of these drinks, email me and I will tell you.

Former Bartender <g> cool

Marns
~pobody's nerfect
Merriwether
Merriwether
/me taking notes

Some of those sound pretty good... wink

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
MMMmmm, strawberry daquiri smoothies. We made those at the beach during spring break...I think for the alcohol part we used some kind of pink Chardonnay, but I didn't make it, so I don't know.

Anything with Malibu Rum works for me...rum and coke, rum and pineapple juice...

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Add me to the list of those who don't like the taste of alcohol and have never been drunk. Before going to France, I'd had strawberry daquiris at home (with Bacardi Limon -- much better than normal rum) and tasted wine and stuff, but that was it. In France (since I was legal) I tried a few more, but mainly stuck to the girly drinks (they taste yummy and sweet, not icky like alcohol).

The ones I remember were:

Sex on the Beach (cranberry and orange juice with vodka)

Touchdown (no clue, but similar to a sex on the beach)

Malibu Surf (it was turquoise and yummy)

Cupid's Kiss (had Baileys and banana something, tasted like a smoothie)

Woo Woo (had to get it just for the name! Had peach schnapps and some other stuff. Looked up the recipe once and of course lost it.)

I never did learn to like beer, but on our last night we went out to a bar (I learned while I was there that, legal or not, I'm just not a bar person...but it was fun every now and then) and while we were waiting at the fountain for everyone to arrive, my friend Lau was passing around a '40' (but since it was a liter of beer, it was really a '33' :p ) and I decided, what the heck, it was the last night, and took a swig. Which pleased her immensely -- "Do it again!" and so she decided her goal that night was to get me drunk. So she paid for my drinks. laugh That night was the drunkest I've ever been, but I still never made it past tipsy. I don't regret stopping there, and it was still fun.

I also learned that tequila shots (with the salt and the lemon) are nasty. Ick. Ick. Cough. Gasp. Blech!! (Not that I'm opinionated or anything. wink )

Bethy (who sometimes wants to get drunk so that she can find out where her limit is, but would rather do it in the safety and privacy of her own home...but other times it's fun to claim to have never been drunk)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
well, i went to one of the sites (www.cocktail.com) where i found a long island iced tea recipie (did that with a net search, but remembered that some of them had searchable indexes of other drinks), and found some recpies for you, bethy:

Sex on the Beach
Shooter

1/4 shot vodka
1/4 shot peach schnapps
1/4 shot orange juice
1/4 shot cranberry juice

Serve in chilled shot glass.

Shark Repellent

1/2 oz Bacardi light rum
1/2 oz Bacardi dark rum
1/2 oz Malibu coconut rum
1/2 oz Midori melon liqueur
1/2 oz creme de banane
4 oz pineapple juice

Shake with ice. Strain and serve in a tall glass with ice.

(that one popped up while i was trying to find "malibu surf")

Kiss of an Angel

1 oz Kahlua
1 oz vodka
1 oz Irish cream
milk

(not sure if that's close to cupid's kiss)

there's this one, too:

Angel's Kiss 2

1/4 oz creme de cacao
1/4 oz creme de yvette
1/4 oz prunelle
1/4 oz heavy cream

Wicky Wacky Woo

1 oz vodka
1 oz Tia Maria
4 oz champagne
fill lemonade
ice

(closest they had to "woo woo" smile )

ah, but another site (cocktails.about.com) filled in some blanks...

Woo Woo

1 oz. Peach Schnapps, 1 oz. Vodka, Splash of Cranberry Juice

Shake with ice & Strain into a chilled Cocktail glass or serve on the rocks in a Highball glass

Malibu

3/4 oz. Spiced Rum, 3/4 oz. Vodka, Orange Juice

Build over ice in a Highball glass

Malibu Baybreeze

Submitted by: Dawn Lee
Type of drink: cocktail
Original recipe: No

Recipe: Malibu Rum, pinapple juice, splash cranberry juice

Stir over ice.

Comments: Tastes just like a unfrozen pina colada.. Yummy!!!

Malibu Italian Surfer

1 oz. Malibu Rum, 1/2 oz. Di Saronno Amaretto, Splash of Cranberry & Pineapple juice

Build over ice in a Highball glass

Malibu Shuffle

Submitted by: Anna Olshansky
Type of drink: Cocktail
Original recipe: Yes

Recipe: 1oz light rum, 2oz malibu rum, 1oz 99 bananas
fill with orange juice splash of meyers rum on top

Comments: the recipe is original, however the name was inspired by a great blues tune written by gary curtis of "no money down"

couldn't find a touchdown... the only site i could find that listed a recipie was in german and broken.

got cupid's kiss here :

Cupid's kiss

In a blender, combine 2 ounces of orange juice,
1 ½ ounces of peach schnapps,
2 ounces of Freixenet "Carta Nevada"
and one tea spoon of sugar.
Blend until smooth
Use a nice glass and fill it with crushed ice
and pour this lovely drink.
Garnish with an orange slice,
two cherries on a pick and a straw.

Paul, who doesn't drink, but does love to go on random net searches. laugh

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Cointreau!!

Sorry. <G> It's just that I remembered what I couldn't when I was writing my last post on this one - the other drink besides Southern Comfort I used to drink habitually. Been bugging me for days that has. goofy

Cointreau, with lemonade and lime juice.

Yes, I did have a very sweet tooth in my youth. laugh

Used to like Pernod and blackcurrent too, but it was seen as a drink very common women drank, so mostly was too embarrassed to be seen drinking it in public. goofy

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
Labrat, why the hey are you wasting your time posting about potent potables when you could be posting another segment of your story to nfic???

Get going, you!

Melisma (giving the Rat a swift kick in the keester and then scrabbling back under her Rock before she gets bit)

wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy wildguy

(Sorry, I couldn't find the shears gremlin - the wildguy is about the best I can do here...)

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Mel, to quote Parliament, 'asked and answered' goofy See the Epiphany comments thread. wink

LabRat (who thinks Mel is just trying to up her post count... laugh )

The Musketeers
Merriwether
Merriwether
Labby, people in glass houses... wink

Rivka (who is definitely posting to up her tally)

- Under the Tuscan Sun
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Well, I didn't say whose post count I thought Mel was trying to up. wink

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
Yeah right you weren't, Lab!

Actually, I had an experience last night that made me think of this thread...

We have the first three floors for the language institute, and then the other three floors are apartments, some of which our teachers live in. (I live on the fourth floor.) Anyway, the school is in a major university district, with four major universities within walking distance. And along with the university district comes major shopping, DVD and PC rooms, video game rooms, restaurants, bars and nightclubs, and everything else a university student could possibly want. And a lot of Koreans (particularly the men, but also the women, especially the women students...) are prodigious drinkers. (They've got a brew here that I've not seen anyone mention on this thread yet - soju, a kind of beer made with sweet potatoes. But that's another matter.)

To severely curtail my story, there are about five bars within a stone's throw of our building, and it makes getting to sleep before about two in the morning a big challenge. See, when the Koreans get drunk, they go out into the street - literally the middle of it, since in the smaller streets there are no sidewalks to speak of; you share the street with cars and people and sidewalk vendors and everything else... - anyway, they go out into the street and sing and dance and talk, *loudly* with their friends, until very early in the morning. BTW, if there are any Koreans reading this, I'm not trying to be disrespectful of Korean culture, just trying to explain to the foreigners who've never been here something of what it's like around where *I* live...

So anyway, when the noise level gets really high, I like to peek out my window and see what's going on outside.

Last night it was fairly quiet from about 1 am to 2, then I heard some voices. I was at the window already, as it was pretty hot and I wanted some fresh air. Around the corner came these two girls, prolly university students although our area does attract a fair amount of non-students because there's a wedding hall across the street and there's a residential area up the hill... One girl seemed relatively sober, but her friend... Well, let's just say that now I know what the term 'falling-down drunk' means! Every two paces she had to sit down on something - a garbage pail, a car bumper, the curb - and her friend literally had to hold her up as they tried to walk down the street. A few minutes later she was laying on the ground and nothing her friend could do would wake her up. Don't know what happened to her, as I gave up and went back to bed. But jeez, sometimes I'm *really* glad I'm on meds that you can't mix with alcohol, because knowing me, that might be me otherwise - I've got what I think is an addictive personality, because once I try something, I get obsessed over it, and I take it to extremes... Well, those of you who know me, know what I'm talking about!

Okay, shutting up now - go on with your booze talk... Which, by the way, I'm finding very interesting. If only LabRat would get back to writing... And no, I'm not accepting any excuses, Rat...

Melisma (ducking back under her Rock to avoid any rotten tomatoes or, um... drunken watermelons laugh )

dance dance

Do, or do not. There is no try.
- Yoda
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Ooh, Paul. You trying to get me drunk? wink

That Shark Repellent looks yummy but strong. And the second woo woo is what I had, or at least close.

Another one that a friend is trying to get me to try is a Maduri Sour (sp?). She said I'll like it, but we haven't gotten around to making it yet. So I'll let you guys know how it goes. :p

Bethy (who keeps trying to up her post count, but her mom steals the computer and other people post while said mother is busy doing unimportant stuff...like work.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard