Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I'm told that cider in the US is non-alcoholic (strange concept goofy ). So what I really need is some kind of potent local beverage that might be on sale at a country festival and which might lull Lois into a sense of false security so that she drinks more than she really ought to.

I could go with beer of course, but I'd really like something a little more...home-made?...so to speak. Something that Lois wouldn't suspect was potent and wouldn't recognise necessarily as something to watch out for sneaking up on her.

Originally, I had in mind the kind of local 'scrumpy' cider that tourists tend to buy in the West Country. Very potent and locally brewed. But I'm not sure if there's a US equivalent.

So any ideas welcome!

Also, may as well clear up a few odds and ends while I'm here... <g> If anyone can think of a name I could use as an example of someone who is considered to be the perfect specimin of the male physique I'd be grateful. It could be a sports star, a movie star or someone known for promoting abs in infomercials, some kind of health kick guru - that kind of thing. A US reference, please, thanks.

I had a third question and have promptly forgotten what it was. Oh yes! That little yellow bird who's a friend of Snoopy's. He's called Woodstock. Right?

Thanks for the help!

LabRat smile (who's written a whole five paragraphs today and is very pleased with herself. wink )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
N
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
N
Cider isn't necessarily non-alcoholic. We would just call it "hard" . A popular drink is "Hard Apple Cider" aka "Applejack". That would be a good homemade, leave some underage hot shots tossing it in the woods kind of drink. laugh

And, yeah, he's Woodstock.

Best,
Sherry

Visit www.marykay.com/sfmurphy for wonderful cosmetic products and an opportunity to enrich the lives of women.
Columnist
Columnist
The only time I've ever been drunk was off of Jello shots. Those things are very sneaky cause you don't realize how much alcohol you're consuming. OTOH, I don't know if you'd find them at a festival.

Perfect specimin of the male physique? I'd say Dean circa S2, but that's probably not the first person that most people outside of folcdom would think of. I'd go with Arnold Schwartenegger (however you spell that) or Sylvester Stallone, or Vin Diesel or Danny Devito.

~Anna (who hopes everyone knows she was just kidding on that last suggestion)

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
As a sorority girl, I should be an expert about different varieties of homemade alcohol. Too bad I really don't drink because my father is an alcoholic.

Hmm, like Anna I do remember having fun making jello shots for our big party last year laugh - my indian self-proclaimed "tea tottler" friend and I made them together. It was funny, since the two of us didn't drink, we really skimped on the alcohol in the shots - but we made so many of them, no one seemed to notice.

Even though I was the sorority's risk manager and had to stay sober, the jello shots were a very big hit laugh . They taste like jello with the slightest hint of alcohol. They are even better if you mix sprite, vodka and jello. They are sort of fizzy and taste like jello. I am not sure if they would be available at a country fair, though (I am scared of the country and would never venture to a country fair!).

However, something that Lois might not notice that could be spiked with a lot of alcohol might be jello squares rather than jello shots. I've seen people bring innocent-jello to parties not in shot glasses that was really, really spiked.

My best friend and I had an idea to start a business actually using jello shots. We love these little jelly candies in china town that are of a kelp base and come in many flavors (taro, mango, lechee, etc) and we thought that making jello shots in exotic flavors using a kelp jelly would be a good idea. We made some for our party with mango syrup, this strange, scary, brown kelp gel, and a ton of vodka. No one wanted to try them, and they wouldn't harden, so we ended up putting them in the freezer. A couple of people at our party (my best friend included) got so drunk that they eventually tried the brown seaweed jello shots. It wasn't the drunkenness that made them throw up - it was the scary jello shots wink .

Cider in the US can be hard cider. Acutally, of all the alcohol, it is probably my favorite. I was just recently introduced to it when my best friend got back from her study abroad semester in Australia.

As for the perfect male specimin, the first person that comes into my mind is Arnold Schartzenager - even though I really don't like him.

- Alicia

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yeah, I'd say Ahnuld, too... or possibly Fabio <g> though he's a subject of much derision.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Jello shots sound interesting, but probably not exactly in tune with the scene. Applejack though, sounds perfect! Thanks, Sherry. smile

Perfect specimin of the male physique? I'd say Dean circa S2, but that's probably not the first person that most people outside of folcdom would think of.
ROTFL, Anna! Yes, probably not who Lois would think of at that. <g>

I'd go with Arnold Schwartenegger (however you spell that) or Sylvester Stallone, or Vin Diesel or Danny Devito
Danny Devito rotflol Actually, that's a point. Forgot to mention that this story is set in season one (small pause while LabRat tried to think what year that would be and fails miserably). So it would have to be a name associated with that time.

Ooooooh, Fabio. Would he have been around during season one? Wasn't he mentioned in that list of 'hunks' who sent Ultrawoman flowers? I'll check this out. Thanks, for the suggestion, Pam - sounds like he's a good bet! smile

LabRat (who's holding on to the idea of jello shots for the next party she has.... <G>)

Thanks again, everyone - you're all stars!

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
S1= 1993-1994

<eg> She'd realize it was alcholic, but hey! Moonshine.

Laura (who doesn't drink, but comes from prime moonshine country!)

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
There's a drink called a Georgia Peach that might work

it's Lemonade actually....
with vodka, peach snopps and grenadines :p

But tastes like peach lemonade...

though I won't be having it until tonight...so I don't know how much alcohol you can taste.

-Breanna (who is throwing my soon to be sister in law a bachelorette party tonight)

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
not sure if it's really a festival drink, but one that specifically came up in driver's ed class was "long island iced tea." it's a large glass of iced tea with several types of alcohol mixed in. looks innocent, tastes fairly innocent (i'm told), and contains the equivalent of 4 shots per glass.

also, as mentioned, there's hard cider and hard lemonade. you also might find some version of moonshine (a more or less generic term for "home brew") that was a bit more alcoholic than one might realize. that'd probably be given a unique local name (by the brewer or possibly the brewer's friends). not sure how openly it'd be sold, but you could probably get away with it at a country fair.

fabio was definitely around during season 1. iirc, it was just about that time that he was popular enough to be recognized anywhere, accepted as the guy, and then made fun of for various things. smile in other words, i think season 1 was right about at the height of his career. laugh

and yes, this [Linked Image] is woodstock.

hope this helps. now, see if you can get to [Linked Image] smile

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Merriwether
Merriwether
Actually, the moonshine I've seen, you can tell it's pure alcohol. It's clear, it stinks to high heaven (teetotaller... can't stand the smell of alcohol) and it's got an extremely high alcohol content.

Hard cider is most likely the best bet. After all, everyone likes cider, and if some just happen to ferment... wink

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for the dates, Laura. Moonshine probably won't work in context, I don't think. I'd considered it, but it just didn't seem right.

Peach Georgia sounds lovely, Breanna. smile That might be a possibility too. If it tastes and looks like lemonade and it's name gives no indication of it's alcholic content, Lois could easily have been caught off guard.

Paul, thanks for the confirmation on Fabio. With this, he sounds more and more perfect. wink

Thanks for the additional info on Moonshine, Karen - definitely not going to work then. wink

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Looking forward to a story by Labrat that has Lois losing some control smile1

When, When, When.. hyper

Merriwether
Merriwether
Another classic is the "Fuzzy Navel" which is peach schnaaps and orange juice. Doesn't taste much like alcohol (very "fruit punchy") and if you don't realize what's in it, you can easily drink too much of it. I know it got very popular in the mid- to late-1980's, so I could see it being served as a special drink at the Smallville Fair in 1993 (though they'd definitely ID people so the kids didn't get any). I remember even my mom and her lady friends liked them.

"long island iced tea." it's a large glass of iced tea with several types of alcohol mixed in. looks innocent, tastes fairly innocent (i'm told), and contains the equivalent of 4 shots per glass.
<Gasp> No! You don't say! <bg>

This was one of my drinks of choice in college (Annie, don't you dare say a word wink ) and I still remember a bartender my friend and I were flirting with rambling off the ingredients he used to make them for us: Rum, Gin, Vodka, Triple Sec, and Coke. I believe there is also a splash of Sour Mix in there, and sometimes Tequilla.

I can't see anyone serving this at a booth at a fair, though ... it's definitely a "drink to get drunk on" and probably is the kind of thing Sheriff Rachel wouldn't be too happy about being served at a public gathering. <g>

That said, they just happen to figure prominently in a story Annie and I are working on at the moment ... heh heh heh.

Kathy

LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Looking forward to a story by Labrat that has Lois losing some control
LOL, Trenna. Oooops. Well, she doesn't in this one. <g> I did that whole drunk thing in Lonesome, so not reprising that one. wink

Although...actually, yes, I guess you could say she does...but she happens to be in full control of her...er...facilties at the time. goofy

As for when...no clues. wink It's a surprise. Sssssssh. Say no more.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ooooops. Missed your post, Kathy, until I'd posted to Trenna.

I can't see anyone serving this at a booth at a fair, though ... it's definitely a "drink to get drunk on" and probably is the kind of thing Sheriff Rachel wouldn't be too happy about being served at a public gathering. <g>
LOL, yes, there is that. I really think I'm tending to lean towards Breanna's Georgia Peach, the more I think about it. I'm beginning to think that Lois might easily recognise Applejack for what it is. But something that looks like innocuous pink lemnonade. And it sounds like something you might find on sale at a stall at the Corn Festival, too.

Keen to read this collaboration from you and Annie, too...especially with the hints Annie's been dropping on irc. <g>

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
B
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
B
Just a note on the Long Island Iced Tea -- I've never had one, but my cousin (whose friends got her schnockered on her 21st birthday <g>) tried one and couldn't stand it. At all. And it wasn't because of the iced tea part (I don't like ice tea, so I won't even try it), but because of all the liquor in it.

I realize you've already decided against it, Labby, but figured I'd say this for anyone else who wanted to know. <shrug>

Bethy

I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, there's the old football game trick of a drunk watermelon, which simply tastes like watermelon. Take a large watermelon and make a small core hole at one end. Pour a quart of vodka into it and reinsert the core. Roll it around for a while to distribute the alcohol, then slice as a normal watermelon and eat. Very plausible for a hot Kansas "Indian Summer" afternoon. So it's not even a drink, it's food. (Yes, I know single malt is considered a food group in some circles.)
BTW, there is the American "7 course dinner" - a pack of Twinkies (contains 2 cream filled white cake things) and a 6 pack of beer.
Unfortunately, I can't think of anyone better than Fabio for that time period. There is an extra hook though, he was on the cover of almost every paperback romance novel printed during those years. So his face (and chest) stared out of every magazine rack in the country. You wouldn't even have to use his name, just "the guy who is on all those paperback covers."
Looking forward to the final product jump
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Merriwether
Merriwether
because of the iced tea part (I don't like ice tea, so I won't even try it)
Just to clarify, there isn't any iced tea in a Long Island Iced Tea. The name (I presume) comes from the drink's appearance, which, with the rum and the coke and the other clear/pale liquors, has the light to medium brown color of iced tea. smile

As for taste, I always considered it one of those drinks that were easy to get drunk on partly because the taste is so deceiving. It never tasted as strong as it really was. But obviously everyone has their own preferences. smile

Kathy

Merriwether
Merriwether
I don't like LI Iced Tea either, and I don't mind the taste of alcohol. The mixture is just... blechy. (sorry, best word I can think of wink )

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
This thread looked interesting to me .... so I started reading. I've only gotten halfway through, though, as the fact I've spent the vast majority of today suffering from a hangover means the idea of alcohol is making me queasy. So I only got halfway through but still thought I should offer a couple of suggestions (someone else will have to provide names for these drinks, as i'm still not that coherent to remember):

1. Orange juice and vodka is very popular and a very easy way to get smashed.

2. Peppermint schnapps (ugh) shots is the reason I'm feeling like this today. As an added bonus, most people take a shot of chocolate syrup in addition to the alcohol ... it apparently tastes like candy and sounds like something Lois would like.

3. Finally, several years ago I was at a restaurant the night before Thanksgiving and ordered a milkshake. Being an innocent 15-year-old at the time, I had no idea until a friend of mine asked to have a sip that people noticed it was spiked. Apparently a waiter who had been fired and was working his last night decided it would make a good parting gift.

Anyway, back to a safer thread, in which alcohol is not mentioned ...

Elle Roberts

She's a dancer who doesn't dance. He's a painter who doesn't paint. It's like a bohemian version of the Island of Misfit Toys. – “Igby Goes Down”
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard