Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
HatMan Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
i was surfing around, reading stuff for my alt-kerth noms, when i stumbled across this page.

it's a section of one of the eligible fan sites with a list of excerpts that the site's owner found especially funny. i think i've come across it before, but i'm not sure.

it's pretty cool. fun to browse though and see what you remember, or just to read through and enjoy the funny lines. i get the feeling some of them could have used more context, but that's another matter.

the thing is that it started out as a private file, which she then published as part of her site. as a result, many of the excerpts aren't labled. no story title, no author's name. she actually asks for help identifying the ones that aren't labled (should be relatively easy with the archive search function).

the upshot of this is that i'm fairly sure she hasn't asked the authors for permission to repost their work. the most recent excerpt is from one of my stories, and i know she never asked me.

now, personally, i don't mind. i'm flattered that she liked my work enough to include it. otoh, i know some authors might have a problem with it. she's not only reposting their work without permission, but, in some cases, doing so without giving credit. not that she's claiming them as her own, mind you. she's just not crediting.

so, i was wondering... what do people (especially authors) think about this? what, if anything, should be done? i wouldn't want to see the page taken down, but i do believe in credit where it's due.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I personally don't really see a problem with it, for most of the reasons you state, Paul.

She's not trying in any way to claim these are her work, she's explained why some of the stories have no credits, and she's actively seeking help from those reading to identify the segments (so I presume that if someone gives her the information she'll update the website with proper credits).

On that last, I do notice that the last site update was in 2002, so perhaps she's lost interest. That would be a shame.

Thanks for pointing this one out too. I'd come across something similar many years back but it definitely wasn't presented like this and I don't recall it having so many entries either. So either it was a different site or she's updated it more recently. Definitely hilarious to browse through.

Perhaps we could get some kind of identification going? And then we could mail her with the ones we tracked down to an author source? Could be fun. <g> Especially if it identifies some great stories we've either missed or could do with re-visiting. wink

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmm... a list of bits she liked, some without credit... I think I'd only be upset if I *didn't* find one of my stories in there! goofy

Of course, that assumes I'd recognize it <g> But I think I found one...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Columnist
Columnist
That was one of the first LnC pages I found when I started browsing the internet for them last summer, and it's still one of my favorites. I actually haven't browsed this part of the site yet, but it's pretty funny. (I also reccommend the miscellaneous page.)

I think Labby had a great suggestion to look for as many as we can find and then email her with them. As far as whether she's lost interest, this part of the site hasn't been updated lately, but I know that other parts of it were updated in December and maybe even more recently than that. I even saw her on zmbs not too long ago, so she's still around, even if it's not very much.

I've never personally talked to her, but from what I've seen on her site and on zmbs, she seems really nice, so I'm sure she'd update the credits if someone emailed them to her.

~Anna

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Fascinating - there have been a couple of updates since the last time I saw that site! Before, it was mostly extracts from Dawning with a couple of Zoomway stories - and I recognised one of the unlabelled ones as Zoomway's File Not Found. But on the last page there are some much more recent extracts, and from some different authors too: Burnout, Sugar and Spice, Purity, Fear of Discovery, Paul's One Super Date, Amorous Lois, the RR Falling into You and several others. All these are labelled, which is nice. smile

Thanks for reminding me about the site, Paul!

Wendy smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Good grief - mine? Are there? Hadn't even noticed. Wow. Must go check what she found funny in those. <G>

Even better news that she's still around. Even more excuse to go fic hunting. <G>

Over to you, everyone. If you track one down, post the author and story title here. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well, she did have one of mine, on page 2:
He flew her away from the sanitarium, towards Centennial Park, and the fountain where they'd gotten engaged. He wasn't above subtle hints.
I'm not real sure why she thought that was funny wink but that was from Forget Me Not, Redux.

I recognized a few others, too, but all those bits from Dawning were making my eyes glaze over...

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
E
Columnist
Columnist
E
I personally don't mind if people quote from my fanfics, as long as it's not an MSTK, they quote the fic as written and don't change anything or claim it as theirs, and they link back to my web site, but I would mind if someone reposted my original poetry or stories without permission. I do have a policy stating that on my website also.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard