Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#139544 04/25/03 02:07 PM
KathyB Offline OP
Merriwether
OP Offline
Merriwether
We've had some neat discussion questions lately, and I hope this one will inspire some fun answers. (And everyone has time to answer since you only need to give one story, not a list. <g>)

What was the very first fanfic you ever read?

Mine was Zoomway's "Counter-Clark-Wise". smile

Kathy

Y
Top Banana
Top Banana
Y
Mine was "A Shot in the Dark" and then "Meet me in Kansas City" -- two of my favorite stories to this day smile .

- Alicia smile

Laura "The Yellow Dart" U. (Alicia U. on the archive)

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." -- Christopher Reeve
Merriwether
Merriwether
Pam Jernigan's Quiet Night.

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Columnist
Columnist
Mine was "Back to the Future" of S5. I first read it last June, and after five years of being stuck with the baby cliffhanger, I was *ecstatic* to have a resolution to it. And a great one at that!

~Anna

Merriwether
Merriwether
Well, I read it two weeks ago, and had about the same reaction. laugh

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Mine was "The Cure for What Ails You" first ep in TUFS...Oh wow. I wasn't even looking for fanfic when I came across TUFS. I didn't even know such a thing called fanfic EXISTED and this was like 4 years after the show ended that I just happened to be going through withdrawl, so I started surfing the web and I got sucked in. And I darn near fell off my chair when I found the Archive. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven... hyper

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Frankly, I can't remember. What I do remember is that I read about the Archive in the LA Times. My only connection was at work, so I had to file the bookmark among the work sites on the computer laugh .
Anyway, I went to the Theme page, picked Revelations 1 and read a bunch of them. I had to copy them to floppy to take home and read, since I couldn't read at work.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I honestly don't remember my first Fanfic, but I remember that I started reading FanFics from the One stop Reading Page Kerth Website. Obviously my first story was a Kerth winner smile1 and I kept coming back for more.

I soaked up a lot of stories in the last two years, so now I have to beg for new installments here on the message boards blush

E
Columnist
Columnist
E
The first fanfic I ever read was a Forever Knight story, but I don't remember which one. It got me curious enough about fanfiction to read more, and eventually get up the courage to post my stories on the internet, though.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2
Top Banana
Top Banana
The very first fic I read was Strange Vistior From the Congo by Wendy Richards. Needless to say, it got me completely hooked on fanfic.

Saskia

I tawt I taw a puddy cat!
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Great topic, Kathy. smile

As I alluded to on the other thread, I really couldn't say what my very first fanfic was. Well...actually come to think of it, just as I typed that I realised that it's not strictly speaking true.

The very first LNC fanfic I ever read was a pen and paper zine that I bought from the author for a whole £3.00. goofy When I saw an ad for this zine (it contained a whole one story btw - all of 42 pages) I snapped it up out of sheer despair.

But I don't really count that. laugh And, no, it wasn't worth the £3.00. Which is why I'm always especially keen to contribute as much as I can afford to the Annesplace and Fanfic Archive fundraising drives when they come up. All those stories and all for a lot less than that £3.00 it cost me for one medicore fanfic. Where else can you get value like that? <g>

The second LNC fanfic I read was within half an hour of finally getting hooked up to the net. It wasn't from FoLCdom. It was on a private website and was the most horrendous and appalling fanfic I've had the misfortune to read. Mercifully, I've tried to block it from memory, but I recall it was wildly OOC and wallowed in gore, death and destruction. I was desperately disappointed and threw it in the bin - was this what online LNC fanfic was going to be like? Where was the compassioniate Superman I knew? The waffs? The romance? The humour of the show?

Fortunately - ten minutes later I hit the Archive. rotflol

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, crimeny, Kathy, I read my first L&C fic in 1995!! You don't expect me to remember that, do you? help (I've been reading fanfic in general since the late eighties)

I *think* the first place I encountered FOLCfic was when one of the guys on CServe introduced me to one of Leigh Raglan's fanfic compendiums -- Leigh would gather up 8-10 stories and put them together into one file. I have vague memories of Lois and Clark on a beach... that doesn't seem to narrow it down much, though <g>

And then I got on the fanfic majordomo list -- wow, they had *four* whole pages of stories to choose from! Plus new ones delivered directly to my mailbox! Bliss.

One of the first stories I got through the list was Debby's Dawning, part 3. Since I hadn't yet read parts 1 or 2, I was very very confused dizzy

I remember Leigh Raglan's Reminiscing. It was about that time that I found Chris Mulder's Love Beyond All Measure (the sequel wasn't out yet). And, well... I plunged in headfirst and haven't ever come back out, all the way wink

PJ
p.s., Rivka, I'm so touched to think one of my stories was the first one you read... and amazed that you came back for more, afterwards! <g>

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Finally a topic I can post on. smile

I honestly don't remember if it was the first L&C fanfic because I'm pretty sure I was getting fanfic emails way back then and so there were actually a lot more stories that could be the first one. (Of course I could be wrong about this but I'm not thinking of the collections but the individual stories in emails? Who did that?)

Anyway, while I don't remember the first I read, I do remember the first one that made an lasting impression on me, so much so that if it wasn't the first, it might as well have been. That was DIRTY BUBBLES by Zoomway.

I couldn't believe how great a punch that one packed in such a small package. I think that's when I fell in love with the vignette with a punchline/payoff format and it was probably the story that inspired me to finally put that strange scene I kept seeing in my head of Lois in a Superman teddy down into words . . . even though I probably still had absolutely no plans at that time to ever let anyone else see it. wink

Beverly

BevBB :-)
"B. B. Medos"
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
There is one story I read early on I *do* remember the name and author of -
LabRat's Burnout. I read all of LabRat's stuff I could get my eyes on. And Pam Jernigan's. Also Chris Mulder's series.
cool
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I'm pretty sure I was getting fanfic emails way back then and so there were actually a lot more stories that could be the first one. (Of course I could be wrong about this but I'm not thinking of the collections but the individual stories in emails? Who did that?)
Rhen Brink handled the fanfic list as I recall -- there was no discussion, but new stories were sent out to everyone automatically. Sometimes in many parts, 'cause none of the parts could be more than 20k smile I remember working with Chris Mulder to break "Meet Me in Kansas City" down into ~20k chunks. There were more than 30 of them, as I recall. Chris was convinced that Rhen would kill her <g>

Then the stories were archived by the list majordomo server (I do not know what that means wink but I remember the term, and more or less how it worked), and you could get index files to list the stories already available. You'd e-mail the majordomo server with specific commands, and it would automatically send you the files you'd requested. I still remember being giddy with delight when I'd get the files back almost instantly smile

It was our theory that the flunky in Tempus, Anyone? who was called "Major Domo" was an homage of sorts to our fanfic list smile

ah, good times...

PJ cool
p.s., thanks, Artemis! blush

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
Features Writer
Features Writer
I remember one of the first if not the first was Chris Mulder's Meet Me in Kansas City.
I came upon the archives and started downloading all the stories to disk and then printed some.

I was really hooked, and then I found zoom's boards and got introduced to Joyce and Debbie Stark.
the rest is history.
merry

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Mine was TUFS. <G> Next, I found S5 and S6, then the RR S5. After I got through all of those, I found the archives and read The Circle Game. <G> Then I discovered the Kerth pages and started reading all of those, which led me back to the archive where I started reading everything in sight, starting with Jenni Debbage's Universal Union series.

Laura

“Rules only make sense if they are both kept and broken. Breaking the rule is one way of observing it.”
--Thomas Moore

"Keep an open mind, I always say. Drives sensible people mad, I know, but what did we ever get from sensible people? Not poetry or art or music, that's for sure."
--Charles de Lint, Someplace to Be Flying
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I actually don't remember what the first fanfic I read was called, though I do vaguely remember what it was about. After the cliffhanger at the end of Season 2 (on first-run in the UK), my husband suggested I do a search for L&C stuff on the internet, and after a while I came upon a site which had links to four or five stories - I'd never encountered fanfic before that. I guess that would have been the summer of 1995 or somewhere around then.

Anyway, the first story I read had a scenario in which Lois was arrested for something. There was also a scene involving Clark missing his trousers... confused It was mildly interesting, though nothing like as well-written as stories by our best writers. I don't think it's on the archive either. So that was the first; and there was also a link to part 1 of Dawning, by Debby Stark. The site told me that there was more to Dawning, so I searched, and found Debby's old FTP site, and read the rest of what was available.

Then, somehow, I found the old Compendiums available for download somewhere, and I also found Sarah and Pam's Shrine o' Fanfic - so, yes, Pam, yours was among the earliest fanfic I read. wink

And then - oh, happy day!! smile1

Just a fly-by! *waves*
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Preface: I don't know how this turned into a novel when all I really wanted to say was, "I don't remember." I guess that comes as no surprise to anyone who knows me and knows that short, straight and to the point has never been my style.

In the summer of 2001 I was working as a live-in nanny for three small children whose single mother often traveled for weeks on end. I had moved to the Durham-Chapel Hill area from DC to take the job and I knew no one in the area and was dying of boredom and lonliness. (I loved my kids, but a five year old and twin two year olds aren't exactly great company.) They went to nursery school for a couple hours every morning, and it just so happened that I usually got home from dropping them off a few minutes after 8 am, which happens to be when LnC is on here. I immediately got hooked on the show again. I'd loved it when it was originally aired, and had been hooked on the reruns once before already.

Anyway, I was always wandering around with these LnC stories in my head. I had all these plots and episode rewrites. But I'd never heard of fanfic and thought I was just crazy. I never told anyone about these stories in my head. One day I actually started writing one down, but then I felt REALLY crazy, so I put it aside and tried to forget about it.

Then one day I was trying out my new laptop and decided to google "Lois and Clark" - I was *shocked* by all the hits I got. I was amazed. I surfed around looking at episode summaries, pics, quotes, music videos (which thrilled me because I also had those running around in my head).

Finally, I stumbled across Annesplace. I was stunned. What was this? You mean other people have these stories in their heads and not only write them down but publish them? I was stunned -and thrilled. I started reading everying - in alphabetical order, if I remember correctly. I read and read and read and read. Anytime I had a free second, I was reading. But at that pace I exhaused all the stories on Annesplace pretty quickly. I was so sad because I thought that was all there was. Toward the end of the summer my nanny job ended and I was without computer access for a couple of weeks. But when I started school again and was hooked up the school network, you can guess what was the first thing I googled. smile This time I found the Archive and was in heaven. Shortly thereafter, I found the mbs and started writing Anybody's Baby. And eventually I even went back and finished that first story I had started back before I knew about fanfic.

So, long story short, I don't remember the first story I ever read, but it was probably the first story under the first author on Annesplace.

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I found fanfic when I was in despair at the cancellation, I was looking on the net for anything to tell me why the show had not started up again and I stumbled across The Circle Game by Crys, and wow, that was one fantastic fic...I was kinda silly and thought that it was the script redone into story form for the whole fifth season...<g> but then I found Tufs
and S5 and from there S6 and then the archive...S6 was not done when I found it either so I was there and waiting every night that it was to come out.. like so many others.. I was in awe of all the writers and I didn't start to write until after I had found #loiscla... and the rest is not near as interesting <g>

Marns
~pobody's nerfect
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard