The Reluctant Pirate: 18/18
by Linda Garrick and Nancy Smith

"It's the moon nearest the planet," Trevor said. "He's linked with me tight, now."

"Move in," Blashvor said. He glanced at the Corporal, who stood close beside him. "He will no doubt have an access code. Has Jason communicated that to you as well?"

Trevor nodded absently, seeing Jason's face vividly before him. The boy was scared silly. *Hang on, little pal,* he thought. *We're on our way. I'm going to fix that trencher for you.*

The man at the scanners gave a sudden exclamation. "By Halthzor's wart! I never would'a picked that up if you hadn't pointed it out, Corporal!" He spoke to Blashvor. "It's there all right, M'Lord. I'm getting it on the scanner -- sorta faint, but definite."

The ship moved gradually downward toward the little satellite. The moon was tiny: a mere chunk of rock, no more than a hundred kilometers in diameter. Trevor leaned eagerly forward.

"They want the code signal," the pirate at the com said suddenly.

"Three, seven, eleven and four," Trevor said "Four, eleven, seven and three. Repeat both sequences five times, wait thirty seconds, then one more time."

"Okay." The pirate sounded mystified. "Beats me how you know all this."

Trevor smiled tightly. The man at the com was entering the code into the unit. There was a waiting pause.

Then a light flashed red on the board.

"Cleared." The pirate sounded astonished.

"Move in," Blashvor said. "Trevor, what is happening to my psychic?"

Trevor was clutching his head, the sensations coming to him rapidly. "Feels like he's being jerked around hard. Dishvor's there. Now he's running, trying to keep up with something. He's scared if he falls he'll be dragged. Damn that guy!" He turned on Blashvor "We've got to hurry!"

"We are, Corporal."

"What th ... someone's picking him up! It's Dishvor! By the stars, I can hear his voice, right through Jason's mind! 'My new psychic! My brother's most powerful psychic is now mine! I have outwitted my brother again!'"

Blashvor said something under his breath, then spoke aloud. "He is gloating, believing he has triumphed over me. What is happening now, Corporal?"

"I'm not sure. Music and voices. Jason's trying not to cry. He's scared and humiliated and mad."

"No doubt my dear brother is celebrating what he believes to be his victory."

"It sounds like it all right. Can't we hurry some, sir? Poor little, guy's miserable."

"We're approaching the base, now," the man at the controls said. "No sign of resistance. They must think we're legit."

"Very well; take us in. Come, Trevor, let us join our assault team. Fenton, I shall need you as well."

"Yes sir." Fenton leaped to his feet.

"Shields up until I give the order to lower them, Trevor will lead us."

There were more pirates in the airlock. The connecting tube had attached to the boarding dome, and a light blinked red above the door.

The lock slid open and Trevor stepped forward, senses alert for any resistance. A guard came to his feet as they emerged from the tube, hand reaching for a control on the wall.

Trevor stunned him and ran past the sprawled body to the inner lock. Jason was getting more frightened and more angry. Someone was goading him, and Trevor could feel the little boy's temper rising. The link tightened painfully.

"This way!" He turned down another corridor, blaster in hand. A guard appeared, mouth open in surprise.

Fenton's blaster hummed and the man sank to the floor. Ahead, Trevor could hear the sound of coarse laughter and strains of music.

Abruptly the music died. Trevor grunted in surprise at a sudden tug, as though from a rope looping his waist. Dishvor's voice spoke, the words carrying clearly. A hand closed in his hair, gripping cruelly and seeming to shove him downward.

*Trev!* Jason's voice sobbed in his mind. *Help me!*

"He's in there!" Trevor croaked. "Hurry! Something's about to happen to him!"

Blashvor's big hand gripped the jeweled weapon. "Then let us go rescue him, Corporal Trevor." He nodded to his men. "Be very careful. Jason is in that room, and I do not want him harmed." He paused, then nodded his head slightly. "Now!"

The pirates charged forward.

Trevor burst through the door, the pirates surging along behind him. The scene he beheld was enough to freeze his blood. Jason on the raised dais was being held motionless by Dishvor, while a pirate stood before the boy, a knife gripped in one powerful hand. The pirates and Ladies had all turned to observe, and their backs were to the door.

Blashvor's men leaped forward, and Trevor, with a bellow of rage, charged through the ranks of half-intoxicated pirates, hurling them aside like so many children. Blashvor was right beside him. Jason's eyes came up, meeting his clear across the room.

"Trev!" he screamed.

The scene had broken up as the two forces closed with each other. Dishvor surged to his feet, bringing Jason with him. A long, powerful arm encircled the boy's waist and clutched him tightly. The Jilectan's jeweled blaster came up to press against Jason's temple.

"No closer, brother!" Dishvor shouted, "I will kill him! Stay back!"

Blashvor and Trevor stopped. Jason continued to writhe uselessly in his captor's grasp. The Jilectan's grip tightened. Trevor could feel the alien's arm through the link, feel it crushing the air from his body. The link began to fade.

"You're killing him!" he shouted. "Loosen up, you trencher!"

Dishvor obeyed, his grip relaxing slightly. The link solidified again.

"Don't fight him, Shorty!" Trevor shouted. "We'll get you loose! Just hang on!"

Dishvor laughed crazily, backing toward the door. A Lady Jilectan accompanied him, and reached back to press a control. A meter thick panel opened, and both aliens vanished through it, Jason still clutched tightly before Dishvor.

Trevor charged forward and flung himself uselessly against the closing panel. It clicked shut beneath his hands, and he heard the locking bolt slide relentlessly into place.

"He's locked it!" Trevor felt frantically over the smooth panel. "He's locked it from the other side, and it's titanium, dammit! It'll take half an hour to cut through. Where the hell's the lock?"

Blashvor pushed him unceremoniously out of the way. The Jilectan's large hand moved searchingly over the panel. It was smooth, with no sign of lock or fastening. The lock must be located on the other side of the door.

"Can you do it?" Trevor asked.

"I do not believe so," Blashvor said. "My telekinetic abilities have never been strong enough to open locks."

"What'll we *do*?"

"I am open to suggestion, Corporal." The Jilectan was still concentrating, his fingers continuing to rove over the door's surface.

A hand touched Trevor's arm and he started violently, automatically catching the wrist and bringing the figure around, immobilizing it in a Patrol armlock. Then he glanced around, expecting to see a party of Dishvor's men closing in.

But apparently they were unnoticed for the moment. Pirate fought pirate, Jilectan Ladies and Terran women screamed hysterically or ran in aimless circles. Fenton had disappeared, and Trevor couldn't see him in the confusion. He looked down at his prisoner.

It was a small, slight girl, perhaps fourteen years of age, who stood passive in his hold. Trevor released her, mumbling an apology, but she didn't seem to hear him. Her hand touched his wrist again.

"Please, sir," she quavered. "Please tell Lord Blashvor I'll open it for him."

Blashvor turned quickly. Her gaze wavered as his eyes connected with hers and she dropped to her knees, lifting her hands imploringly. "I'll open it for you, M'lord, if you'll --" Her voice broke. "Oh, take me with you, Master! Please, don't leave me here!"

Blashvor's face relaxed into a benevolent smile. He bent, taking the girl by the hands and lifting her to her feet. "Can you reach the lock, my little psychic? It is behind the panel about there, I believe. Here. I will lift you." His arm slipped around the girl, bringing her effortlessly level with the spot he had indicated. Her hand moved over the door and paused. There was a hesitation and then a click. The panel slid aside.

"Excellent, my little psychic." Blashvor set her on the floor again and his large hand ruffled her hair gently. "I shall return for you and you shall go with me. Remain here, and if Dishvor has any other psychics who wish to leave his service, have them wait here with you. Come, Trevor."

They ran through the open door, and Trevor led the Jilectan through a massive cavern, down a long tunnel which appeared to be composed and hollowed out of native rock. The air was good, though, and the artificial gravity apparently still in operation, for his weight felt normal. Jason's voice screamed in his ears. *Trev! Trev, be careful! He's setting a trap for you!*

Trevor paused at the entrance to another tunnel. The sensation of movement had ceased, and all was still. Jason’s voice, screamed again. *Trev, look out!*

Blashvor uttered an exclamation, and Trevor, glanced over to see the big alien's blaster leap from his grasp. It spun sideways to vanish down a deep hole in the rock wall. Then his own blaster writhed. He clamped his hands around it, gripping it tight.

Blashvor was diving for cover, and Trevor dove after him, landing hard behind a projecting boulder. Behind him a blaster cracked, the beam fusing the stone floor of the tunnel into glass.

"Trevor!" It was the voice of a Jilectan, speaking from somewhere ahead. "Corporal Trevor, if you do not throw out your blaster at once, I shall begin burning off the psychic’s fingers.

Trevor turned to look at Blashvor in the dimness. "He means it, doesn't he?"

"Do not obey. Trevor!" Blashvor commanded. "He will kill me if ...."

The whine of a needle beam and a scream from Jason interrupted the Jilectan’s words. Trevor leaped to his feet and tossed his blaster away. "Don't hurt the kid! I surrender!"

Blashvor stood up beside him. "Corporal Trevor," he said quietly, "you are a sentimental fool."

"Jason!" Trevor shouted. "Are you okay?"

"Trev!" Jason sounded half hysterical. "Yes, I’m fine.”

A female Jilectan appeared from a recess in the rock wall, blaster leveled.

"Lady Dishvill," Blashvor said formally. "It has been too long."

She smiled breathtakingly and gestured with the weapon, "Walk ahead of me, both of you."

They had taken only a dozen steps when Trevor felt the sudden weakness flow through him. The lady gave a shrill cry of fury, and he turned to see her blaster spinning away.

He realized instantly what had happened. Jason, using Trevor’s proximity to assist him, had disarmed her. The Corporal started forward.

"Freeze, Terran."

Trevor obeyed, gritting his teeth. Another Jilectan had appeared from behind a jutting rock, Jason held securely before him. The alien held a blaster pressed tightly against the boy's neck. Jason was very still, eyes on Trevor.

Again came the energy drain, and something appeared in the air between them to drop to the floor with a sharp clatter.

For one endless second Trevor stared at the object, uncomprehending. It was the energy cell of a blaster.

But Blashvor reacted with the lightning reflexes of his species, leaping toward his brother. The blaster clicked harmlessly, then clattered to the cave floor as the two Jilectans collided, the weight of Blashvor's body bearing Dishvor backward. Jason was flung to one side, landing hard against the rock wall of the tunnel. Trevor felt the impact through the link. Stars sparkled before his eyes, and contact with Jason faded out.

The Lady was moving, leaping toward him. He tried to evade her, but she was too fast. Her arms encircled him, crushing him against her with inexorable force. He twisted desperately, trying to free himself, and knowing it was useless. Big and strong as he was, he was no match physically for even a female Jilectan. Her grasp tightened, crushing the air from him.

Then, without warning, he felt her stumble forward, grasp loosening slightly. Trevor tore at her hands with renewed energy, hearing her curse under her breath. He looked up to see the small, wiry figure of a young man perched on the Lady's shoulders, his hands ripping at her hair and eyes with energy borne of desperation. Her grip loosened even more, and Trevor tore himself free, gasping for breath, his head spinning. Another figure was attacking the Lady, too, he realized dazedly: the young girl they had encountered without. Her small, slim body was wrapped around the Lady's legs, and she was clawing, biting and tearing at the alien with all her strength. With a curse in the Jilectan tongue, the Lady kicked at the girl, flinging her away, and another quick movement tore the other figure from her shoulders. The little man fell, landing with a bone jarring thump beside Trevor.

The girl had rolled to her feet, and was now circling the Lady warily, trying to keep her attention distracted from Trevor. The young man also scrambled upright, blood trickling from a cut on his forehead, but his expression was alert as he also circled the Lady.

"Get the blaster, girl!" Trevor croaked. "It went down that hole behind you!"

She turned to look at the opening. The Lady made a grab for her, and the little man leaped, grasping her around the legs with all his strength. Trevor made it to his feet and also charged, catching the Lady around the waist from the rear and gripping with everything he had. A powerful hand snaked around and gripped his hair. He was torn free and hurled to one side.

"Freeze right there, Lady Dishvill!" It was the girl's voice, and Trevor looked to see her poised before the cave wall, blaster leveled at the Jilectan.

The Lady moved in a blur of speed, twisting sideways, and in the same motion reaching down to snag the young man by the hair. In one swift, fluid motion, she yanked him upward, holding him before her like a shield.

"Drop that blaster, slave!" she snapped. "If you don't, I'll snap his neck right now!"

The girl's lips quivered. Instantly Trevor was beside her, wrestling the weapon from her hand. She gave a wordless cry of protest, then surrendered it. Trevor leveled it at the Jilectan.

"You kill him, Lady," he snapped, "and you're dead!"

Her eyes locked with his. "I warn you, I will kill him. Drop the blaster."

"I won't drop it, Lady, let the kid go."

Jason's link with him was reforming. The boy stirred, moaning softly, but Trevor remained motionless, weapon steady on the Jilectan.

Behind him came the sounds of a struggle; muffled grunts and curses. The Brothers Grimm, he thought sardonically. They were fighting to the death, and Trevor couldn't even turn to see what was going on, because he didn't dare let his attention waver from the Lady.

The psychic girl cried out, and suddenly the two battling Jilectans careened into view, locked in a titanic embrace. The lady's head turned, following them, and her lips smiled confidently.

"Kill him, My Lord!" she cried.

Dishvor, Trevor realized abruptly, was larger than his brother, probably massing close to twenty kilos more. As he watched, the combatants separated and came to their feet simultaneously. Both of them, he saw, held knives clutched in their left hands.

Dishvor lunged forward, knife slashing downward. Blashvor parried the blow, the blade raking his arm, but yielded with the force so that Dishvor, who was expecting resistance, was carried too far. Blashvor's blade lunged upward, burying itself to the hilt beneath Dishvor's ribs. Dishvor screamed, and Trevor heard the three Terran psychics also cry out simultaneously. Jason, hands fastened behind him, struggled to his knees.

Then Dishvor was crumpling ponderously to the ground. Blashvor stepped back and let him fall.

Lady Dishvill voiced a hair-raising shriek and flung her captive viciously aside. Trevor caught the young man, breaking his fall, as the Lady leaped for Blashvor. She hit him hard, clawing at his face with her fingers, and shrieking like a steam whistle at the same time. Trevor thrust the little man aside, and turned his blaster on the Lady, trying to get a clear shot.

Blashvor's fist came up in a punch that Trevor knew would certainly have killed any Terran upon which it had landed. The Lady spun away and smacked hard into the rock wall. Slowly, then, she slid to the cave floor and lay still.

Trevor discovered that he had been holding his breath. He let it out slowly and cleared his throat. "Very neat, sir." His voice was shaking.

Blashvor smiled politely, bent to wipe the blade of his knife on Dishvor's thigh, returned the weapon to its scabbard, and went to one knee beside Jason. "Are you hurt, my little psychic?" he said calmly.

Jason shook his head, then leaned forward without a word, resting his face against Blashvor's bent knee. The Jilectan placed a large, six fingered hand on the boy’s tousled head and ruffled his hair gently. "Trevor," he said, "give me the blaster."

Trevor handed it over. The Jilectan flicked the weapon to needle beam and turned Jason gently around. Carefully he burned away the lock of the security bars on his wrists. The shackles clattered to the floor.

The boy looked up with a shaky smile. "Thank you, Lord Blashvor," he said.

"You are quite welcome, Jason." He lifted Jason to his feet and turned to address the others. "And to the rest of you, my compliments for your efforts in keeping the Lady occupied until I could deal with my brother. Your services proved quite invaluable." He surveyed the other two psychics searchingly. "I assume you are both from my brother's employ?"

"Yes, Master." The young man stepped forward and dropped to his knees. "Please take us with you, Lord Blashvor! Dishvor's ladies will kill us if you leave us behind!"

"I shall take you with me. Do not fear." The Jilectan thrust the blaster Trevor had given him into his belt. "Corporal, assist Jason. We must recover our weapons and go see how my men are faring. You two..." to the newcomers, "...see if you can find my blaster and the Corporal's."

The two psychics scurried to obey. Trevor went over to Jason. The boy leaned against him, still trembling slightly. Trevor put an arm around him, noticing for the first time the length of golden mesh rope looped around Jason's slim waist. "What's with the leash, pal?"

"Dishvor had me tied to him," the boy answered. "The rope was hooked to his belt, too. When you and Lord Blashvor came after us, I unfastened it with telekinesis. He never noticed." Jason took a long, shaking breath. "I'm sure glad you're here, Trev."

The young man had returned, a blaster in either hand. He went on one knee before Blashvor, presenting both weapons hilt first. Blashvor took them, smiling, thrust the jeweled one into his holster, and tossed the other to Trevor. "Come, all of you."

They followed him back down the tunnel, Trevor still keeping an arm around Jason. Jason looked up at him.

"Are you okay, Trev? You were knocked out. I was scared you might be hurt bad."

"I'm fine, Shorty. Heard you loud and clear when you called to give me old Dishie's home address and access code."

"Did you? Even in hyperspace?"

"Loud and clear, kid. Sounded like you were in the same room with me. I also felt it when Dishvor started slapping you around."

Jason nodded, glancing quickly at Blashvor's back. He dropped his whisper to a thread of sound. "It's hard to believe they were brothers, Trev. That Jil was awful!"

Blashvor paused and turned, smiling wryly. "It is said that every family has one like him, Jason. He was a disgrace to my line, and his end was far more honorable than he deserved.

Jason blushed. "I'm sorry, sir. You weren't supposed to hear that."

"I am aware of that, Jason."

Jason blushed more deeply. "I'm surprised you didn't kill Lady Dishvill, too, sir. She was just as bad as he was."

Blashvor smiled benignly at the little boy. "I had already inflicted you with sufficient empathic trauma through the death of my brother, little psychic. I did not wish to add to it."

Jason smiled in return, looking self-conscious. "Thanks, sir."

"Besides, no Jilectan male needlessly kills a female of childbearing age. It is against our laws."

Trevor stifled a laugh. Jason gulped. "I see, sir."

"Anyway," Trevor put in quickly, "that Lady was quite a dish."

Blashvor's face turned solemnly toward him. "What?" he inquired blankly.

Jason groaned. "Really, Trev!"

"Just a Terran joke, M'Lord," Trevor said quickly. "I'll explain later, if it's okay."

"It is okay. We shall be entering the dance hall now. Protect him, Corporal Trevor."

"Yes sir." Trevor put Jason behind him. "Stay right there, Shorty."

Chapter 23

Back aboard Blashvor's ship, Jason and Trevor approached the door of the Jilectan's chambers. It opened as they neared it, and the two psychics Blashvor had taken from his brother emerged, accompanied by Fenton, who had one arm around his sister's shoulders.

Nate raised a hand to Jason. "He's quite a Jil, all right. Not much like Lord Dishvor."

"Nothin' at all like Dishvor," Trish said softly.

"For sure." Jason smiled. "But listen, don't try to take advantage of him just because he's nice. You've always got to be respectful. He doesn't punish unfairly, but he won't put up with any nonsense, either."

"Listen, Jason," Nate said quietly, "after Lord Dishvor, Captain Bligh would be a welcome change. We won't take advantage of our good luck, believe me."

"See you around." Jason went past them toward the door. It opened as they neared it, and they entered. Blashvor was standing in the center of the sitting room, a goblet of wine in one hand. Le Frit went past them as they stepped inside, and vanished through the doorway into the Jilectan's inner apartments.

Blashvor turned, his face very sober. "Remain there, Jason. Trevor, you may approach me."

Trevor's face changed, and Jason saw him go pale beneath his tan. Slowly he approached the Jilectan and went to one knee at his feet. Jason watched, puzzled, and a little worried. There was danger in the air, and that danger was directed toward Trevor.

"Please, sir, what is it?" he asked.

The Jilectan did not reply. He took a step forward and looked down at Trevor's kneeling form, frowning, lips set. "Corporal Trevor, I am not pleased with you. I believe you understand why.

Trevor swallowed. "Yes, M'Lord."

Jason started forward. "Lord Blashvor, please, I ..."

"You are dismissed, Jason. Leave us."

"No!" Jason took another step forward. "You leave Trevor alone!"

"Do not be impertinent, my little psychic." The Jilectan's gaze went back to Trevor. "Very well, stay if you wish, but you will not find it pleasant, I warn you."

"What are you going to do to him?"

Blashvor didn't answer, again addressing the Corporal. "During the confrontation with my brother, Trevor, I gave you a direct order not to surrender."

Trevor gulped, seeming to glow smaller before the giant form of the alien. "M'lord, Dishvor said he was going to ...."

"I am quite aware of what my brother's intentions toward Jason were, Corporal. I am also quite aware, as you are also, of what my brother intended to do with me, if he managed to capture me."

"Yes M'Lord." Trevor's voice was very low. "I'm sorry, M'Lord."

"You are sorry, but faced with the same circumstances, you would react in an identical manner. I see that quite clearly in your mind, Corporal."

Jason could keep still no longer. He half ran forward, stopping beside the kneeling form of his friend. "M'Lord, please! Don't punish him. He did it to save me. Dishvor was going to burn off my fingers! He was starting to when Trevor surrendered!"

"That is so, Jason. I understand the circumstances all too well. Trevor willingly would have sacrificed my life to save you from injury." The Jilectan drew the jeweled blaster from his holster. "All beings on this ship answer to my orders. I do not keep untrustworthy servants. There is no room for them here."

Jason stared up at the pirate chieftain in horror. "You promised me you wouldn't hurt him as long as I served you faithfully! I've done my best! Oh, please, sir ...."

Blashvor pushed him aside. "I think you had best leave us, Jason."

"No!" Jason began to cry. "You leave my friend alone!"

"Shorty," Trevor said tightly. "Do as he says. Don't be a fool."

Jason ignored him. "And I told Nate he was wrong; that what he'd heard about you was a lie, but maybe I was the one who was wrong! Maybe you are a murdering traitor, Lord Blashvor, sir!"

"Shut up, Shorty!"

"I won't! See here, Jil, if you're going to kill Trev, then you'd better kill me, too!"

"Damn you, kid!" Trevor caught him by the shirt and shoved him back. "Shut up!" He turned on the Jitectan. "Don't listen to him, sir! He's just upset. He doesn't mean it!"

"I sure do mean it! You hurt him, Jil, and I'll never help you again! I don't care what you do to me! I'll never..." Jason stopped, wiping tears from his cheeks, and staring in astonishment at Blashvor. The Jilectan was grinning broadly and returning the jeweled blaster to its holster.

"Stand up, Corporal Trevor," he said.

Trevor's face came up, eyes wide. "Sir?"

"You are forgiven. Stand up."

Trevor rose slowly to his feet, face still tense. Blashvor spoke to Jason.

"Do sit down, my fiery little psychic, and I shall have Le Frit bring you a coke. Be at ease, I shall not harm your friend."

Jason closed his mouth with a conscious effort, "But you said...."

"It was a trick, my small friend, to see how far you would venture to protect him. I already know that Trevor would risk death to save you. He demonstrated that quite vividly back at Dishvor's base. I wanted to see if you would do the same for him."

"But...sir, I sensed danger while you were speaking of ... of killing him. I know I did!"

The Jilectan laughed softly. "I may not possess as many powers as you, Jason, but those I do have, I have perfected. I created that psychic sensation of danger for your benefit, since I knew you would not be deceived by any other means."

Jason felt his knees start to tremble. Blashvor caught his arm and lifted him to a chair. "Corporal, you had best sit down as well. You appear somewhat white."

Trevor sat down on the dais steps and wiped his brow with a handkerchief. The Jilectan pressed a control on one wall. "Le Frit, bring refreshments for my servants. Sepo brandy, Corporal Trevor?"

"Please," Trevor said unsteadily. "And don't dilute it with anything."

"Yesh shir," came Le Frit's voice from the device.

"But...why did you do it, sir?" Jason asked shakily. "Were you just trying to scare Trev? What was the point?"

"The point, Jason, was that I was conducting an experiment. I believe that I have deduced at least part of the mystery which binds you two together. You say Westover linked your mind to Trevor’s. Well, there is certainly a link between you -- a very unique, perfectly functioning communication that apparently operates in only one direction: from you to your friend. But there is more.

"In the course of my years in this profession, Jason, I have frequently observed Terran psychics whose minds were consciously linked together. These psychics were partners, functioning as one, each aware of the other's thoughts or feelings to a rather embarrassing degree. They are intensely loyal to one another. If one is threatened, the other is willing to die in an attempt to save his partner. I have observed this enough to recognize partners when I see them together, and, except for Corporal Trevor's lack of psychic ability, I would say that you two are what I have just described: psychic partners. When I threatened your partner just now, Jason, you behaved exactly as I would have expected a psychic to behave under such conditions. Although you knew yourself to be safe, as long as you kept still, you jumped instantly to his defense, even to the point of insulting me and jeopardizing your own safety.

"When I pressed my attack, you were suddenly the mother marshhopper, fighting to the death to save her cub, and apparently quite heedless of your own danger. You were inspiring, Jason, just as Trevor was inspiring when he disobeyed my direct order, willing to sacrifice my life and his own for your sake. Thinking it over later, the idea came to me to perform this little experiment. Ah, there you are, Le Frit!"

The Procyon entered and placed a tray on the table before them: a tall, frosty bottle of sepo brandy, a coke, two crystalline goblets, and a bowl of exotic nuts. His feathers twitched, and dandruff showered to the carpet.

"You are due for another shampoo, Le Frit," the Jilectan said, his voice slightly disdainful. "Your crown feathers appear quite disgusting."

"Shorry, M'Lord. I will do sho at onshe." The Procyon went out.

"And so," the Jilectan continued, "Although you are not conscious of it, I believe you are indeed partners, if not exactly psychic partners." He surveyed Trevor thoughtfully. "And that brings up another mystery. Trevor is not a psychic, and yet, when he is nearby, your abilities, Jason, increase dramatically. From where does that extra psychic energy come? Could it be that you indeed possess this energy, Trevor, and through your partnership, somehow undetectably supply it to Jason?"

"I don't know, sir." Trevor was looking better, a little color creeping into his cheeks. He took a hearty swallow of brandy. "I think I told you before, that sometimes I feel a little weak when Jason's beside me and doing some psychic trick. Not exactly weak, I guess. Just kind of funny."

The Jilectan leaned forward. "Describe this sensation, Trevor."

"I'm not sure I can, sir. Dizzy, I guess, although not exactly. It's not an unpleasant feeling, but it’s like -- I don't know, like he's pulling something, power, maybe, from me. Only not really." He frowned. "I knew it when Jason was about to snatch Lady Dishvill's blaster, even before he did it, because I felt the drain. And that reminds me, Shorty, you'd better give His Lordship his energy cell back."

Jason felt his cheeks grow warm as he reached into a pocket, and withdrew the cell. "I...I took it when I thought you were going to shoot him. I'm sorry, sir."

The Jilectan took it, laughing softly. "One thing is certain. I shall never again put myself in a position where one of you must choose between his partner's life and mine. And now, Jason, I desire an explanation of that rather caustic remark which you made while you were fighting so bravely for your friend's life."

"My Lord?"

"I believe it was something to the effect of how you now realized what a villain I really am -- something your fellow psychic told you while you were a prisoner, which you didn't believe at the time."

Jason felt his cheeks growing warm. "M'Lord, I --"

"Ah, Jason, Jason, do not apologize. You were hurling every dart you could find in your attempt to distract me from my purpose. As I mentioned before, you were inspiring. Now, tell me what it was that Nathan said."

Jason hesitated. "You won't be mad at Nate, will you, sir? He was only repeating what he'd heard."

"I will not be angry with Nathan."

"It's a not a pretty story, sir."

"I did not imagine, it would be."

"Well ... Nathan said that, according to what he'd heard, you killed Dishvor's mother, Lady Sashvill, because after she was dead, Dishvor lost his status as eldest son. And when your father found out, you, killed him, too, and tried to kill Dishvor, but Dishvor outwitted you and escaped."

Blashvor uttered a roar or rage and surged to his feet. Trevor and Jason also sprang up and retreated to a bulkhead, watching the alien with mingled fear and fascination. Blashvor paced back and forth, swearing with great imagination in the Jilectan tongue.

"Come, on, Shorty," Trevor whispered. "Let's make ourselves scarce."

They sidled toward the door, but, as they reached it Blashvor ceased his pacing and spoke, his voice once again level. "I have not dismissed either of you yet."

Jason turned. "We thought you might like to be alone, sir."

"Come here." Blashvor again mounted the dais steps and sat down. Jason and Trevor went toward him cautiously.

"Yes sir?"

"Did Nathan say anything else?"

"Not really, sir. He did mention that the story might be a little distorted, since he'd only heard Dishvor's version."

A pause. Trevor cleared his throat. "I take it the story is a bit distorted, sir?"

"It is indeed." Blashvor's voice was once again cool and controlled. "My brother was always one to twist the truth into a lie, Trevor." He leaned forward, looking directly into Jason's eyes. "So, you did not believe it, my little psychic?"

Jason found his eyes wavering. "Well, I..."

"So, you did suspect me?"

"Well, no, sir, at least I didn't want to suspect you. I mean ... I like you, but you can be kind of cold blooded sometimes, you know."

Blashvor's tense face relaxed into a smile. "Only in your eyes, my little psychic," he said. "In my childhood, my family considered me something of a weakling."

"A weakling, sir?" Jason heard himself laugh. "You?"

"Indeed."

"But why?"

"Because I was so tolerant of the lower species, Jason; particularly Terran psychics. My brother often accused me of being afraid of them."

"Afraid of us?" Jason stared at him incredulously.

"Is that so amazing, Jason? Terrans all too often surpass my species in the area of psychic ability."

"Well, sure, sir, but if I opposed you, I wouldn’t have a chance, and I know it. Psychic powers aren't everything, and Terran psychics are all so ... small."

"Size would make little difference if we were both armed, and you removed the energy cell from my weapon. No, I am not a weakling, but I consider it safer to stay on good terms with my psychics, as well as more profitable."

"That, My Lord," Trevor said slowly, "is what I would call wisdom, not weakness."

"Precisely, Corporal Trevor. How astute of you!" The Jilectan smiled approvingly at him. "But my brother did not see it that way."

"You can say that again, sir," Jason said feelingly.

"Say that again...? Ah, another Terran figure of speech!" The Jilectan smiled politely and took Jason's hand, drawing him down on the chair beside him. "And now, I presume you are wondering what the true facts are in this quarrel between my brother and me."

"Yes, sir," Jason said. "Please tell us."

"I shall do so. Part of my brother's tale is accurate --enough to make what he told his men appear true. I was indeed the elder son, but Dishvor held that rank by custom, since he was the son of my father's first wife, Lady Sashvill. However, Sashvill was killed quite unexpectedly in an accident ten years ago, and I became the first son at her death. My brother, angry at the loss of his position, took me by surprise and tried to kill me. He very nearly succeeded. I was wounded and unable to resist when my father walked in with one of his servants, a Terran psychic. My father leaped for Dishvor, and Dishvor shot and killed him. The Terran psychic called for help with telepathy, then was also killed by my brother. Dishvor then turned back, attempting to finish me, but before he could do so, help arrived. My loyal men managed to hold him and his men off while I was carried to safety. I am gratified to say that most of my father's servants sided with me during the conflict. They nursed me back to health and remained loyally beside me during that time. Later our gang was re-formed, more members found, and our base established."

The Jilectan paused and took a sip of wine, then collected a handful of nuts. Jason let out his breath. "Gosh!"

"It was a difficult time," the Jilectan said soberly. "But at last the debt is settled, again with the assistance of my loyal old supporters, and some new ones." He dropped a hand on the Terran's shoulder and smiled benignly. "Ah, Jason, do you know that I find you an extremely pleasant Terran with which to associate, and even you, Trevor, are becoming less objectionable to me. Perhaps my brother was right in some ways. Perhaps I am something of a weakling in this respect. But if so, I don't think I am any the worse for it, am I?" He looked searchingly at the two Terrans.

Trevor laughed, softly. "Where were Dishvor's psychics when he needed them, sir? Doing their best to help you kill him. I think that speaks for itself."

Blashvor considered the statement, then smiled kindly at Trevor "That is quite true, Corporal." He pressed the button on the chair arm. "More wine, Le Frit."

The Procyon entered, refilled their glasses and placed a newly opened coke before Jason.

"Thanks, Frit," Jason said.

"You are welcome, shir." The Procyon withdrew, scratching.

The End

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.