The Reluctant Pirate: 15/?
by Linda Garrick and Nancy Smith

Chapter 18

They entered their apartments, and Jason flopped down on the bunk, closing his eyes. He felt tired, but at peace, the fear and tension of the past hours easing. Drowsiness began to steal over him.

Through that drowsiness there came a sensation he knew well. He opened his eyes, staring at the overhead, nervousness crawling on his skin. Trevor, seated in a chair across from him, was watching him, his dark brows drawn together.

"Something eating you, Shorty?"

"Yes." Jason frowned at the inoffensive metal above him. "Something's not right."

There was a faint jarring sensation. Jason sat up, heart leaping into his throat. "What was that?"

"We just released the cargo ship, kid. Remember, Blashvor told 'em to head back for his base."

"Oh, yeah." Jason swallowed, trying to quiet his jumping nerves. Trevor stood up and came over to the bunk, seating himself

"Kid?"

"Something's awfully wrong, Trev."

"You'd better tell His Lordship, pal."

Jason nodded and concentrated, locating the Jilectan's mind after a moment. *Sir?*

*Yes, Jason?* The reply was prompt.

*Something's wrong. I'm getting a warning.*

*Indeed? Is Trevor with you?*

*Yes sir.*

*He is to remain with you.* The communicator came to life. "Corporal Trevor, remain with Jason. Protect him with your life."

"I will, sir."

The shipwide communicator boomed. "All hands, my psychic, Jason, is reporting a precognition of trouble. All hands to battle stations. Full alert. Repeat, full alert!"

A siren began to sound: the call to battle stations. Jason glanced nervously at Trevor. "I'm going to feel pretty silly if this turns out to be a false alarm."

"I've never seen you call a false alarm yet. Besides, you'd look sillier if you didn't tell him and suddenly a Patrol squadron popped out of hyperspace a hundred kilometers off."

"I suppose." Jason swallowed. "It's getting stronger." Automatically he reached for Trevor's arm, and with the contact the sensation intensified. Jason jumped to his feet. Trevor did the same.

"What *is* it?"

"A ship!" In his mind, Jason saw it. "There's a ship heading right for us!" He reached for Blashvor's mind. *Sir! There's an enemy ship coming right at us!*

"We've just picked it up, Jason." Blashvor's calm voice came from the communicator. "It just came out of hyperspace. We're scanning now."

Jason's skin was crawling. "Trev! I think there's a Jil on board!"

Trevor triggered their communicator. "M'lord, Jason says there's a Jilectan on that ship."

"He is correct, Corporal. You and Jason will report to the control room immediately. Guard him closely and stop for nothing. There is a distinct possibility that there is a spy on board. Obviously, my brother knew where to find us, and that speaks of an inside job."

"His brother!" Jason breathed.

Trevor's mouth was set in a grim line. "Dishvor," he said unnecessarily. "We'd better hurry. He wants you up there where he can keep a personal eye on you."

Jason nodded. Trevor drew his blaster, went to the door and listened. He glanced at Jason. "I don't hear anything. Do you?"

Jason shook his head. "There's no one there. Let's go."

"All right." Trevor pushed the button to open the door. "You stay right beside me, Shorty. Understand?"

The trip to the control room was accomplished as fast as Jason could move. Trevor put Jason through first and entered behind him, his blaster still drawn. As they entered, Jason saw Blashvor seated in the captain's chair, watching the viewscreen. Fenton was seated to his right, also looking at the screen. The Jilectan glanced briefly at them and gestured them to seats. "Strap yourselves in."

Jason and Trevor hastened to obey. Nothing showed on the screen that he could see except the usual starry darkness, but he knew that Dishvor's ship was there, hanging just beyond visual range. A sudden shiver ran over his scalp and he saw Blashvor glance at him.

"He's coming closer," Jason said.

"Confirmed, sir," the man at the controls said. "The vessel is approaching at a high rate of speed."

"Shields up," Blashvor said.

"Shields in place, M'Lord."

"Weapons computer on."

"Weapons computer ready, sir."

There was the sound of their ship's blasters. The enemy ship also fired, and Jason felt their vessel quiver slightly.

"We got him, sir!" It was one of the men at the board. "Scanners show damage to his repulsers and hyperspace engines! He wasn't expecting that!"

"Approach, Jethro. Prepare to grapple."

"Yessir."

"Watch him. He may attempt to pivot."

"Yes, M'Lord! Grapples show ready."

Jason reached with clairvoyance for the other ship, which now filled the entire screen. He could almost see the confusion on board, the scrambling crews of pirates, and feel the furious anger in the other Jilectan's mind. Then, for just a moment, another mind touched his; the mind of a Terran psychic. He gasped in shock, seeing Blashvor's face turn toward him.

"It's a Terran psychic, sir!"

"Close your shields, Jason! Quickly!"

Jason obeyed.

There was a clang as magnetic grapples caught and held the other vessel. Jason felt a thrill of alarm, and without realizing it, he was on his feet, running toward the bulkhead. Trevor was right behind him. "Hey! Kid!"

Jason reached the bulkhead and flattened his hands against it. He lowered his shields cautiously. The psychic mind had vanished, but replacing it he could see dozens of Terran forms, all working furiously toward a common goal. They were clad in pressure suits, and were placing a small object against the side of the vessel.

"Sir!" Jason cried. "How soon will our men be boarding?"

"Moments only, Jason. The charge is being prepared now."

"They're trying to do the same thing, sir! I think they were already set up, too. They're placing their charge right now."

Blashvor was on his feet, pressing his communicator. "Land! How much time?"

"Fifty seconds, sir," came the response.

"Not enough." Jason concentrated, envisioning the device in his mind. "If it wasn't so darn big, I could teleport it! We'd better get out of here, sir, or they're going to be boarding us!"

"Get the detonator, Shorty," Trevor instructed. "That shouldn't be too big. I'll visualize it for you."

Jason swallowed, seeing the image of the detonator jump out of Trevor's mind toward him. Yes, there it was, and the man was reaching forward to set it.

Jason reached with his psychic power, and in his mind saw the detonator vanish. Something clattered to the deck at his feet. Vividly from the other ship he heard the curses of the would-be boarders. Trevor bent to pick up the detonator. He laughed shortly. The crew cheered.

There was a shuddering explosion. Jason jumped, thinking for a moment that he had failed, but then he realized that the explosion had signaled their own boarders. Blashvor was beside him suddenly. "Good work, my little psychic."

Jason relaxed. "Thanks, sir." He concentrated again, envisioning the place where the side had been blown out of the would-be attackers' ship. Men scurried down passageways, and among them moved the much larger form of a Jilectan. Jason sensed him strongly for a moment, and involuntarily started back with a gasp. Blashvor's big hand closed on his shoulder.

"Do not be afraid, my little psychic."

Jason relaxed. Blashvor's touch was reassuring, driving back the fear generated by the image of the enemy Jilectan. Blashvor was powerful. He had two powerful beings beside him, Blashvor, and Trevor, who would protect him. There was nothing to fear.

Jason concentrated, feeling the surge of energy from Trevor. Two ornate golden chains dangling around Dishvor's neck vanished abruptly to slither to the deck beside Blashvor's boot. The Jilectan gave an exclamation of pleasure and bent to pick them up.

Jason laughed, a little giddy with his success. "A present for you, sir," he said.

Blashvor laughed as well. "Directly from my loving brother, I do not doubt?"

"He was wearing them around his neck, sir. Would you like his matching earrings?"

"If you would be so kind?"

"My pleasure, sir." Jason concentrated again, seeing the image of the Jilectan in his mind. The earrings vanished from Dishvor's ears, and clearly Jason saw the big alien clap his hands over them, uselessly. The ornaments landed neatly in Blashvor's palm.

Blashvor laughed and squeezed Jason's shoulder gently. "Excellent, my little psychic."

"Thank you, sir."

For an instant Dishvor's mind touched Jason's again, and the murderous fury there sent a shock of primitive terror through him.

"Do not let him frighten you, my little psychic. His abilities are quite limited. He is powerless to harm you. Let him rage."

Jason nodded, drawing a deep breath. Rapidly he surveyed Dishvor's image, trying to ignore the fury radiating from the alien, and selected an ornate gold ring from his first finger. The ornament disappeared, to reappear around Blashvor's finger.

The pirate gave an exclamation of pleasure. "Beautiful, Jason!" He laughed maliciously. "This is a most pleasurable pastime!"

The pirates at the control panel were chuckling and cackling, obviously enjoying the proceedings immensely. Jason looked back at Dishvor, realizing the enemy Jilectan had now been joined by a Lady of the same species. She was holding two small figures by their wrists, and for just a second one of the Terran psychic minds touched Jason's again. He sensed fear bordering on panic, and knew a moment of idiotic pity for his enemies.

The Lady's face turned toward him, and her eyes seemed to lock directly into his. Jason gasped, sensing her aura, and realizing that it was much stronger than that of her Lord. Blashvor sensed it, too, and Jason heard him exclaim softly.

"Shields up, Jason! Don't let her read you!"

Jason obeyed, feeling his heart jump. Blashvor placed firm hands on his shoulders, drawing him back from the bulkhead. "You have done splendidly, my gifted little psychic."

A prickle of warning crept down his spine. He pulled away from Blashvor's grip, turning toward the door. "Look out!"

Fenton leaped to his feet, his dark eye's widening. "Jason! You're in danger! He's in danger, sir!"

Blashvor pushed Jason back toward Trevor.

The door swished open and something white arced through to pop softly on the deck. Jason knew a moment of complete bewilderment as he stared at it. Then sleepiness seemed to wash over him, and his surroundings began to slowly expand and contract. He began to drift gradually downward.

He didn't remember hitting the deck.

"Come on, Shorty! Wake up!"

A sharp, acrid odor was invading his nostrils. Jason flinched and coughed. The voice spoke again, commanding him to awaken. He opened his eyes to stare blearily up into Trevor's face. Trevor grinned at him.

"Good morning, Shorty."

"Trev! What on Earth?"

"Someone just tried to kidnap you, pal. Good thing you slept through it. It wasn't very pleasant."

"What?" Jason sat up, blinking dazedly. "Kidnap me?"

"Yeah -- Arcturian guy. You remember Pattur?"

"Uh ... yes." Jason looked around. Most of the crew were sprawled on the deck still, but a few had been aroused and were climbing back into their stations.

"Yeah, well, it was him." Trevor nodded toward a sprawled figure to his right. "Don't look too close. Blashvor got him right in the face. It isn't pretty."

Jason took Trevor's advice. "But why?"

"I think he was hoping to grab you for Dishvor, and maybe Fen, too. He must be a spy planted on board to give it a try just in case old Dishvor's ambush went sour. He didn't count on you and Fen warning us before he made his move, though."

Blashvor appeared beside Trevor. "The chances are excellent, my little psychic, that, in addition to kidnapping you and Fenton, he would also have killed me, and possibly some of my men, too."

Jason blinked up at the alien. His eyes still weren't focusing very well. "He threw a sleep pellet in?"

"Correct, Jason. He was hoping to knock out the entire control room crew, I am certain. He was not successful. Jilectan reflexes are faster than those of any other known species." The alien smiled smugly. "And in addition to that, I was warned by both my psychics of impending danger." The smile widened. "I must confess, however, that your friend, Trevor, was only seconds behind me in reaching the breathing masks." His big hand ruffled Jason's hair and he rose to stride over to another still form. Jason got to his feet, Trevor's hand supporting him.

"Then what happened, Trev?"

"Old Pattur came bursting in with a breathing mask already on, and blasting away like crazy. Blashvor ducked, and I managed to clip the guy. That gave Blashvor the chance to finish him off."

"Gosh!" Jason rubbed a hand across his face. Fenton was sprawled on the deck at his feet, and Trevor bent over him, turning him over with one hand.

"Hey, Fen, come to." He snapped one of the yellow capsules under the little man's nose. Fenton choked and swore weakly.

"What's going on with Dishvor's ship?" Jason asked.

"We got 'em." Trevor lifted Fenton to the chair beside Jason. "You okay, Fen?"

Fenton rubbed his eyes and nodded.

"But what about Dishvor?"

"Bad news on him, Shorty. In the confusion he got away, along with his Ladies and some of his crew." Trevor knelt beside another sprawled figure. "Too bad."

"What about his psychics?" Fenton asked, still sounding a little muzzy.

"That I don't know," Trevor replied. He helped the pirate sit up. "Easy there, fella." He spoke to Fenton again. "Our men haven't found anyone who claims to be a psychic among the prisoners so far. You kids and Blashvor can check 'em out."

Jason nodded, concentrating. He could detect no psychic minds nearby, except Fenton's and Blashvor's. "I think the Jils took 'em along."

"Logical of them. As Blashvor remarked, psychics are hard to come by. Dishvor wanted you bad, and I'll bet he wants you even more now."

Jason shuddered.

tbc

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.