The Reluctant Pirate: 14/?
by Linda Garrick and Nancy Smith

Chapter 17

"Normal space in twenty seconds," the intercom announced.

Jason, seated in Blashvor's suite across from the big alien, advanced his knight. "Check, sir."

The threatened king retreated. Trevor watched from another chair as his little friend brought a bishop forward to join the fray. "Check, sir."

"And mate in four moves." Blashvor sounded slightly annoyed. "Who taught you to play this, Jason?"

The boy flushed. "My father."

"Your father must be an exceptional man. Someday I should like to meet him."

There was a jolt. As the ship steadied, Blashvor stood up, straightening his clothing. "Excellent game, my little psychic."

"Thank you, sir."

"And on our next match, I shall beat you."

"Probably, sir."

Trevor was watching the alien carefully. He had never known of a Jilectan to compete with a Terran in a game of wits and skill before, but, considering his knowledge of the aliens, he doubted very much that Blashvor would enjoy losing to a Terran child. On the other hand, Blashvor was reacting to Jason's win like no Jilectan he had ever met before. It was almost impossible to believe.

The intercom beeped. Blashvor glanced at the speaker and Trevor saw the control move of its own accord into the transmit position. "Yes?" the Jilectan inquired.

"Ship's in range, M'Lord."

"Move in. Jason and I will be with the boarding party."

"Yes, M'Lord. Do you want Fenton with you?"

"No. Keep him in the control room for the moment."

"Yes sir."

They went out, Trevor following Jason. The boarding party was already waiting at the hatch. The men were clad in their pressure suits, and Jason, Trevor and Blashvor donned their own. They waited.

Faintly they felt the quiver of the ship's shields and heard the sound of their own blasters.

The intercom came to life. "The cargo vessel is surrendering, M'Lord. The Jilectan aboard, Lord Rekaxvor, and two of his wives, request their safe release."

"Assure them they shall be unharmed if they cooperate," Blashvor said coolly.

"I've already told 'em, sir. They've agreed to receive us through their airlock. Do you want to do so?"

Blashvor glanced at Jason. "What do you think, My Little Psychic?"

Jason considered for several seconds, regarding the still closed hatch thoughtfully. "I think it's okay. They know we've got 'em. How does Fenton feel about it?"

The other Terran psychic's voice spoke over the unit. "I think it's okay for now, M'Lord, but keep your eyes wide open once you get over there. It could be a trap. The Jil's gotta have his shields up, 'cause I'm not sensin' him."

"Neither am I," Jason said.

"Very well," Blashvor said. "Fenton, perhaps you should accompany us, after all. Come to the airlock on the double."

"Yessir!" The voice cut off. Thirty seconds later Fenton appeared through the door and accepted a pressure suit from one of the pirates. "Thanks, Jack."

"The Jil's going to take us through the airlock," Jack said. "You probably won't need the suit, kid."

"Put it on, anyway," Jason said.

The Jilectan glanced sharply at the boy. "You suspect treachery, Jason?"

Jason looked self-conscious. "I don't know. But I do think he should wear his pressure suit."

"I was gonna, anyway," Fenton said, struggling into the suit and sealing it.

"Stand ready, men," Blashvor said. "Jason, you, Trevor and Fenton remain behind the others."

Trevor pulled Jason back, positioning him beside Blashvor, and taking his place before the boy, blaster in hand. The pirates assumed their positions before the airlock. There was a clang of grapples, then a softer grating sound. Blashvor ducked down, pulling Jason with him. The hatch slid aside, revealing the metal hatch of the other ship, the casing sealed against their own. Then the other hatch also slid aside. The pirates surged forward.

Trevor waited. Moments later a pirate popped back through the door. "All okay, sir. They're surrendering."

Blashvor advanced, Jason beside him, Trevor going ahead. They entered the other ship's airlock and found half a dozen figures prone on the deck, hands over their heads. The Jilectan strode past them, hardly glancing at them.

They entered another compartment, encountering no resistance. All members of the crew had apparently been instructed to surrender peacefully. Surrounded by his motley crew, Blashvor entered the control room. Two figures turned toward him, hands held high.

The men were quickly disarmed and made prisoner. Blashvor approached one and thrust the blaster into his face. "Where is your master, Terran?"

"In his quarters, sir." The man's voice shook.

"Take me there," Blashvor said.

"Yes sir." Hands on his head, the crewman went to the door. Jason and Blashvor followed. Three pirates and Trevor flanked them.

The crewman led them down a carpeted hallway and paused before a door. Jason shifted uneasily, and the link, which had been quivering on edge of Trevor's awareness for the past twenty minutes, solidified suddenly. At the same instant, the voice of Fenton, who had remained in the control room with the captured crew, rang in his earphones. "Lord Blashvor, somethin's wrong! That Jil's gonna try somethin'! I swear it!

"Yes!" Jason's voice was shrill, and behind the faceplate his eyes had widened. "He's up on a chair, sir, reaching for the ventilator shaft! He's wearing a breathing mask!" The boy held out his hand, and two small pellets appeared in his gloved palm. "Poison gas pellets! There was panic in Jason's tone. "Sir! He's putting them into the ventilator!" Three more pellets appeared on the boy's palm in quick succession. "I can't get 'em all, sir! He must have twenty or more. He's going to flood the ship with poison!"

Blashvor's voice spoke in Trevor's earphones, the Jilectan's tones perfectly calm. "Anyone not on their suit's air supply, switch immediately. The ship is being flooded with lethal gas. Repeat! Get on your suit's air! Lethal gas is flooding the ship!"

Beside them, the crewman they had brought began to choke. Jason gave a cry of distress and bent over him. Trevor jerked the boy upright again and pulled him back as the pirates began to burn out the lock on the Jilectan's door.

Jason was struggling, and Trevor jerked him back roughly. "Kid, get back! There's a desperate Jil in there! He's going to put up a fight, you can bet your boots!"

"But… Trev, can't we help that poor guy? Please, Trev! I can't stand it!"

Trevor glanced down at the gasping crewman, realizing he'd completely forgotten the guy. "Shorty, for Pete's sake ... oh, damn! All right!" He yanked an emergency breather from a bulkhead and pressed it over the crewman's face. "Here, you poor sap, breathe!"

Jason knelt beside him, strapping the device in place. The man was sobbing, each breath a half groan as they pulled him back from the line of fire.

The lock gave and the door sagged open. The pirates charged into the room, and from within came echoing reports of blaster fire. Someone screamed shrilly.

Then, abruptly, silence. Jason straightened up, grimacing. "Someone's hurt, Trev."

Two pirates emerged from the room, carrying one of their fellows between them. "It's Rolin, sir," one of them said. "He's bad. The trenchcrawler got him good."

"Get him back to the ship, Peters," Blashvor said. He bent to place a large, gentle hand on the wounded pirate's forehead. "Courage, my man. You will be cared for."

The pirate gasped something as the others carried him away. A moment later two more pirates emerged, a sagging figure between them. Several more appeared behind the newcomers, blasters drawn. Jason stepped quickly back as the prisoner was thrown to the deck before Blashvor -- a large, flashily clad figure wearing a clear breathing mask, with red, kinked hair, and pale skin. Two female Jilectans, similarly masked, emerged, their hands secured behind them, and guarded by more armed pirates.

Blashvor turned cold, emotionless eyes on the captive Jilectan. The pirate chieftain spoke, tones icy.

"You have seriously injured one of my men, m'lord."

The captive Jilectan was clutching one shoulder, but his answer was angry. "A Terran?" he spat derisively. "You would punish me for injuring a Terran? You, a Jilectan?"

"You were promised safety if you surrendered quietly," Blashvor said. "You have not done so."

"But -- a Terran! I have not injured you!"

"He was one of my best servants."

"I will pay you for him!" The captive Jilectan sounded frightened now, as well as angry.

"You are in no position to pay me for anything, fool!" Blashvor snapped. "I shall take what I want, and exact the price for my servant separately."

"But --"

Blashvor drew the jewel-studded blaster from his holster, at the same time jerking his head at Jason. "Get Jason out of here, Corporal Trevor."

Jason inhaled shrilly. "Lord Blashvor, please, what are you going to do?"

Trevor took his arm. "Come on, Shorty. This is none of our business."

Jason cast an anguished glance at the prisoner as Trevor led him from the scene. Together they boarded the lift, and Trevor punched for the next level. "Keep your shields up tight, Squirt," he instructed. "I don't think Blashvor's going to be too nice."

"Is he going to kill him?"

"I wouldn't be real surprised. Jils don't like other folks messing up their property."

"But he's a prisoner -- and in cold blood --" Jason swallowed. "Trev, he wouldn't!"

"He killed your pal Granger in cold blood; don't forget. Jils are a cold-blooded lot, but take a minute to think about what Lord Rekaxvor did. Not only did he wound one of Blashvor's men, but he tried to kill the lot of us with those damned poisoned pellets in the ventilation. Most of our men would have survived -- I was breathing my suit's supply, and probably most of the others were, too, but he was sure to catch some of them. Damned Jil didn't count on us coming aboard in suits. I guess he thought 'cause we entered through the airlock, we'd be without 'em. His poor crewmen didn't know he was planning anything, either, or you and Blashvor would've picked it up from their minds. He probably killed most of his crew when he pulled that little stunt."

Jason stared at him a moment in shock, and then his expression grew angry. "I guess he deserves whatever he gets, then."

"My feelings exactly." The lift came to a stop, and Trevor ushered Jason forward, back to the control room. Four pirates glanced around as they entered, and a cheer went up. Two of the men came toward them, grinning through the face windows in their suits.

"Hey, li'l buddy!" One of the men grabbed Jason's hand and pumped it enthusiastically. "You saved my skin. I was breathin' ship's air when Blashvor called in and warned us. One o' the other guys just called an' told me it was you that told him what that damned Jil was going to do. Thanks!"

"Me too!" The other pirate clapped him on the back, knocking him forward. "Appreciate it, kid! Right after you called, that poor bloke dropped like a rock." He nodded at a still form on the deck. Fenton was bending over the man, holding a breathing mask to his face. Jason swallowed.

"Is he going to be okay?"

"I dunno. How is he, Fen?"

"Okay, I guess." Fenton glanced up, scowling. "He's still in a lot of pain. Whatever the Jil used, it burns the lungs something fierce."

Trevor glanced up as the "All clear" chime sounded, followed by a computerized voice announcing that the air was once again safe to breathe. Cautiously, he opened the faceplate on his suit and sniffed experimentally. The ship's air had a slightly metallic odor, but that was all.

Jason went over to kneel beside the other psychic. "We should give him something for it."

Fenton flipped open the emergency kit, fumbling a little in the heavy gauntlets of his pressure suit. "I wasn't sure I should. I was afraid I might finish the job the Jil started. You know, mixing drugs. Do you know anything about it, Jase?"

"I think so ... at least I think I can tell." Impatiently, the little boy unsealed the gauntlets of his suit to free his hands, and after a second also opened his faceplate. "There. That helps."

Trevor watched without comment as Jason hesitated for a moment and then selected a syringe from the kit. "This should be okay."

"You sure, kid?"

The boy nodded and glanced at the injured man again. "Mister, I'm going to give you a shot. It'll help the pain. Honest."

The crewman simply nodded, his teeth clenched. Jason took a deep breath, rolled up the sleeve, and injected him in the shoulder. "There. You'll feel better in a few minutes." The boy replaced the syringe in the kit and stood up, looking a little pale. Trevor grabbed him as he swayed.

"Here, Shorty, I think you'd better sit down."

"Thanks." Jason allowed Trevor to help him to a chair. The corporal shoved his head into his lap.

"Just take some deep breaths, kid. You've had quite a day. Roy, get him some water, will you?"

"Sure." The pirate departed, to return a moment later, a cup in his hand. "Here, mate, drink up."

Jason accepted the cup and sipped from it. He coughed. "Good grief! What did you put in it?"

"Just some sepo brandy. It'll make a man of you. Drink it."

"Yuck!" Jason surveyed the contents of the cup distastefully, then took another sip. He coughed again. "It tastes like cough syrup." His head turned toward the door. "Lord Blashvor's coming."

The men turned, coming to their feet. The Jilectan entered, surrounded by guards, but without their noble prisoners. Jason also stood up and Trevor rested a hand on his shoulder.

Blashvor advanced to the control panel, speaking to one of his men. "How many casualties, Re'Woop?"

"Jusht the one shot by Hish Lordship, shir. He ish shtill alive, but in bad shape. They doubt he will make it."

"Any survivors of the ship's crew?"

"Only one that we know of, shir." He pointed to the man lying on the deck. "Fenton put a breathing mask on this guy."

"That makes two, then." Blashvor indicated the sagging figure of the man Jason had rescued, supported by two of his pirates. "This one will also recover, and, I trust, will be properly grateful to the little empath who saved him."

The man groaned, clutching his chest. Jason moved uneasily. "Please, let him lie down, Perry. He's in terrible pain."

The pirate lowered the prisoner to the deck. Jason went over to him and knelt beside him. Fenton joined the little boy, emergency kit in hand.

Blashvor spoke. "Re'Woop, I am leaving this ship in your charge. After it is carefully searched and checked over, return it to the base."

"Yesh, my lord."

Blashvor leaned over Jason and Fenton. "Come, my psychics."

Jason looked up. "What about him, sir?"

"The survivors will be placed on a little populated world," the Jilectan replied patiently. "Do not fear for them, my little empath."

"But --"

Fenton rose to his feet, bringing Jason with him. "C'mon," he whispered.

"Okay." Jason started to follow the Jilectan, then hesitated and turned to speak to the Procyon. "Please be nice to them, Re'Woop. They didn't do anything, you know."

"I shall be, Jashon," the alien said tolerantly. "Do not fear."

Jason bent quickly over the prisoner again. "You'll be okay. Just do what they say, and nothing else will happen to you."

"Okay," the man croaked out painfully. "Thanks, little guy -- whoever you are."

"Come, Jason," the Jilectan said, sounding a little impatient. Trevor pulled the boy upright and ushered him from the room after Blashvor. They crossed the airlock to their own ship and Jason pulled off the helmet of his suit. Trevor did the same, and wiped sweat from his brow. Blashvor glanced musingly at Jason as they proceeded to the lift.

"You will need to be careful, my little psychic," he said.

"Sir?"

"This empathy of yours is quite overpowering -- even worse than Fenton's and my last psychic's -- the one of whom I told you. I would not wish to lose you, Jason."

The boy nodded. "I try, sir. I just can't stand it when somebody gets hurt. I have to do something."

"I see that. Is there no way to control this, as Fenton does?"

Fenton looked away. "I hide it sir," he said diffidently. "But I still feel it. It's terribly distracting sometimes."

"Does not keeping your shields up help?"

"It helps," Fenton said. "But not much."

"I don't think it helps at all," Jason said.

"Unfortunate. Ah, well, no psychic is perfect, and your other powers, Jason, compensate for the one drawback." Blashvor entered the lift, Trevor and the two psychics trailing behind him. The car stopped at the next level, admitting two pirates wheeling a litter between them. On the litter was the unconscious, bandaged form of the Jilectan trader.

Jason uttered a soft exclamation. "He's alive!"

The pirate chieftain smiled. "Does that surprise you, my little psychic? Jilectans are worth money. I would not kill one when a simple, painful chastisement would be effective. A blaster set on needle beam is an excellent means of convincing such fools as he of their errors. If this one is ever again in a similar situation, I assure you, he will not react so stupidly. Yes, he is alive, and therefore, still worth money. Dead, he would be worthless."

Jason gulped. "I see."

They stopped at the next level, and Blashvor stepped off, accompanied by the Terrans. The Jilectan paused beside his apartment. "I shall be retiring now, and you had all better do so, too." He smiled benevolently. "Excellent performance, my psychics."

"Thank you, Sir," Jason said.

"Thanks, M'Lord," Fenton said.

"And you, as well, Trevor," the Jilectan said.

"Thank you, Lord Blashvor," Trevor said, surprised at himself for the sense of well being that rose within him at the Jilectan's praise.

Blashvor turned and vanished into his apartments. Fenton nodded to them and went into his own, one door down from the alien's. Jason and Trevor turned toward their own cabin, walking leisurely. Pirates passed, making way for them respectfully, one of them ruffling Jason's hair lightly as he went by. Another called back to them a cheerful, "Good work, mates! Heard all about it!"

"Thanks!" Jason called back.

Trevor dropped a companionable arm about Jason's shoulders. "Well, Shorty, we're not doing so bad for ourselves, are we?"

Jason smiled back at him. "Heck no! I think we're doing great!"

tbc

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.