The Reluctant Pirate: 12/?
by Linda Garrick and Nancy Smith

Chapter 14

Jason watched as Trevor vanished out the door, the panel closing behind him with a soft click. He wished Blashvor would have allowed him to stay. He felt safer with the Corporal there, although he was sure now that the Jilectan had no intention of harming him, and was equally sure that, should the alien wish to, Trevor would have no way of preventing it. Still, Blashvor's presence itself was awesome and frightening, seeming to radiate strength and power, rather like Rakinxvor. He shuddered in memory.

"Jason," Blashvor said.

Jason turned quickly, summoning a smile. "Yes sir?"

"Sit down." The alien patted a small footstool beside him. "I shall be instructing you in the use of your psychic powers now."

Jason sat down and waited.

Half an hour later Jason was almost in tears. Blashvor was frowning at him as he tried fruitlessly to remove a security bar from his wrists.

"Sir, I can't do it! I don't know why, but I can't!"

"You can, Terran Psychic. I saw you do it before."

"But I can't now!" Jason wailed. "I'm just not strong enough."

The Jilectan regarded him in silence for a moment. Then his voice became gentle again. "Very well, Jason, we will leave that for the moment." He reached over to remove the bars from Jason's wrists. "I want you to try teleporting."

"Teleporting, sir?" Jason rubbed his wrists.

"Many Terran psychics who are telekinetics are also capable of teleportation. It is the instant transportation of an object from one place to another. Roland was capable of it on a very small scale. It is the most useful talent possible for a psychic in this profession to possess." He placed a small, glistening red stone on the table before him. "Teleport it, Jason. Think of it there, where it is, then think of it in your hand."

Jason held out his hand and concentrated, trying to obey instructions. The Jewel lifted, starting to float toward his outstretched hand.

The Jilectan nabbed it out of the air. "That is telekinesis, Jason, and also very useful. But I want you to teleport. With teleportation, objects can be moved through solid walls. Instantaneous! Think of it that way. First it is here." He set it back on the table. "Then it is there in your hand."

Jason eyed the stone dubiously. "It sounds impossible."

"Never think that way! It is not impossible, I assure you!"

"Yes sir." Jason concentrated on the stone. He could feel it in his mind, touch it with his mental fingers. Table -- hand.

He blinked, and suddenly the jewel was lying in his palm.

"Excellent, my little psychic!" The Jilectan was beaming proudly at him.

"Did I do it? I didn't even feel it, sir."

"You did it, Jason, and very neatly, too, for the first attempt."

Jason returned the smile, feeling a glow of pride. "Thank you, sir. I didn't know I could. Can't Fenton do any of this?"

"Fenton is a telepath, an empath, and a precog," said Blashvor. "Other than that, he has no powers at all."

"Oh."

"He is useful to me only to obtain other psychics, and to warn of approaching danger."

"I see. You have other psychics besides him and me, sir?"

"No. Only you, but you are a prize, Jason, a true prize. Never before have I possessed such a powerful and versatile psychic. You are a treasure."

"Thank you, sir," Jason said a little uneasily.

The Jilectan smiled. "Come, let us get back to work.

For another hour Blashvor instructed him in the use of his psychic powers and had him practice different techniques. Jason learned to control his shields, to lower and raise them at will. He tried to teleport another jewel and found the process easier than the first time. He tried to teleport over a longer distance, and found that this, too, could be done. He tried teleporting larger items, and ran into a snag. Articles larger than about 500 grams simply would not teleport, although telekinesis worked with items up to 1500 grams. Then Blashvor again picked up the security bars. Jason looked at them in frustration. Blashvor beckoned, and reluctantly he extended his wrists. The bars clicked around them.

Blashvor sat back, watching him. Again Jason concentrated, feeling the lock in his mind. It was immovable beneath his mental fingers. He strained at it, sweat trickling down his face, acutely aware of the Jilectan's displeasure at his failure.

"I can't, sir! It won't move!"

"You can, Jason!"

"I c-c-can't!" He began to cry with frustration and anger. "I need Trev!"

"Trevor will make no difference, Terran psychic," Blashvor said coldly. "He is not a psychic, and there is no way he could help you free yourself. Your dependence on him is psychological only. You must understand that. You are capable of removing these bars on your own. I saw you do it. Concentrate. Do you see the inner mechanism of the lock?"

"Yes sir."

"Touch it with your mind."

Jason obeyed. "I feel it, sir, but I just don't have the energy to move it." He sniffled.

Blashvor shook his head. "You had the energy before."

"I know, but Trev was here then! He gives me the energy I need! I don't know how."

The Jilectan made an impatient gesture. "Corporal Trevor has nothing to do with it! Get him out of your mind. You are a powerful psychic. That is how you removed the bars before!" He paused. "Still, I must confess, I sense less energy in you now than I did earlier." His voice trailed off, then became firm again. "But clairvoyance and detection of psychic energies were never my strong areas. The energy is in you, Jason. All you must do is summon it -- make it work for you."

Jason nodded and gulped. "Yes sir."

A benevolent smile. "Perhaps you are simply fatigued. Rest for a while."

Jason smiled shakily as the Jilectan removed the bars from his wrists. "I'm sorry, sir."

Blashvor touched a summons bell and the Procyon servant entered, bowing. "Yesh, My Lord?"

"Wine, Le Frit."

"Yesh shir."

"Sir?" Jason said.

"Yes?"

"Would it be okay if I had a coke instead?"

"Certainly. See to it, Le Frit."

"Yesh, My Lord." Le Frit vanished to return a moment later with the drinks. Jason tried to ignore the dandruff which sifted to the carpet as the Procyon presented the glass to him. He sipped the coke.

"Hey! It's the real thing!"

"Shertainly, Jashon." The Procyon set a tray of hors d'oeuvres on the table and retreated, closing the door softly behind him.

A week went by. Every day Blashvor closed himself in with Jason and instructed him in psychic maneuvers, but still Jason remained unable to remove the bars as he had done so easily before. In telekinesis he became quite adept, and in shielding he was excellent. His clairvoyance was also excellent, and in teleportation he had learned to move items over a distance of a hundred meters, although his limit in mass remained constant at 500 grams. Blashvor was very pleased with his progress, and assured him that, when his psychological dependence on Trevor lessened he would again be able to remove the security bars. Perhaps he was right.

Trevor glanced up as he entered their apartment on the base. "How goes it, Shorty?"

"Fine. Look, Trev." Jason concentrated a moment. Three styluses appeared in quick succession on the table before him.

"Man!" Trevor was impressed. "Where'd you get 'em?"

"From Morely's apartment. Watch. I'll put 'em back now."

The styluses vanished one after another. Jason grinned. "Want me to steal some of his jewelry now?"

"Can you?"

"Sure! Or maybe I could take his underwear. He's probably only got one pair."

Trevor laughed. "Sure. Just don't get Blashvor mad at you."

"Oh, I wouldn’t take anything and not give it back. Blashvor knows that. He knows I'm honest. He says I won't make a good pirate if I don't get rid of some of my conscience."

"I agree with him on that. Okay, show me something good."

Jason concentrated, hands on the wall. He reached out almost unconsciously toward Trevor felt Trevor grasp his hand. Psychic energy surged up -- imagination, Lord Blashvor said, but imagination or not, when Trevor was nearby, Jason was a better psychic.

Clear and sharp he saw the apartment again, and Morely himself, sprawled across the bed, clad only in his underwear. Baggy red breeches lay discarded on the deck.

Jason concentrated and the breeches appeared on the floor beside their feet. A moment later a sleek, silver boot appeared, then another. Trevor laughed uproariously. "Can you get his underwear, too, pal?"

"He's wearing them."

"Does that make a difference?"

"I guess not." Jason giggled. "He's asleep, too. If I'm careful, he might not even wake up." Jason concentrated again. The man's shorts appeared on the deck beside the boots. A loose, silver blouse appeared, then a pair of silver looped earrings. Trevor doubled over with mirth. "That it, Shorty?"

"Most of it. Shall I leave him his undershirt?"

"Sure. Have a heart. Did he wake up?"

"Not yet." Jason surveyed the pile of clothing at his feet. "What'll we do with 'em? We can't leave 'em here."

"Let's stick 'em in one of the Jil Ladies' apartments."

Jason giggled, muffling the sound with his hand. "I couldn't do that! What if Blashvor found out?"

Trevor sobered. "Let's not do anything to make him mad, Shorty. Why don't you just stick 'em in the kitchen or something."

"I'll hang them on hooks in the lounge cloakroom. That should cause some comment."

"Can you do it?"

Jason looked hurt. "You don't trust me." He concentrated. The objects vanished rapidly, one after another.

Trevor guffawed and slapped him on the back, almost knocking him down. "You know, Jason old buddy, you are really terrific as psychics go."

"Lord Blashvor thinks so, too." Jason sobered. "Do you think he likes me, Trev?"

"I don't know. He sure as hell doesn't like me."

"No, but that's because you're a 'trol -- or were. He lost his last psychic to the Patrol. He doesn't like 'em much. You know, Trev, he keeps his shields up all the time I'm around him, practically. He's let 'em go once or twice, and I think --" Jason hesitated, then fell silent. Trevor waited patiently.

"I think," he resumed after a moment, "that he's really not a very good psychic. He admitted, himself, that I’m a lot better than he is. I always thought the Jils were a lot stronger psychics than Terrans."

"That's what the Jils would like us to think, but it isn't true. Part of the reason Jils get so upset with Terran psychics is that they get outdone so often by them. Look at Westover! And he's not the only one by a long shot, although he's by far the most spectacular."

"I guess." Jason raised his head suddenly as Blashvor's voice spoke in his mind. "Blashvor's calling me. I'm to report to his ship. We're going on a raid." He gulped, feeling his heart begin to thump. "This is it."

"Can I come, too?"

"I don't know. I'll ask," Jason located the Jilectan's mind again. *Sir, can Trev come, too?*

*We do not need him, Jason.*

*Please, sir?*

*Oh, very well: to make you happy. Tell him to keep out of my sight.*

*Yes sir.* Jason smiled at Trev. "He says you can come, but keep away from him."

"Don't worry about that." Trevor slid on his boots and started for the door. It slid open, revealing Morely, clad only in a dirty undershirt, a towel clasped around his waist.

"All right, you little imp, whatcha done with my clothes?"

Jason opened his eyes wide. "Me?"

"Yes, you!" The man's fingers twitched. "Where are they?"

"I'm sorry, Orville, but I haven't time to talk right now. Lord Blashvor called me. We're going on a raid."

Morley stepped aside, teeth clenched. Jason smiled. "I hope you find them, Mr. Morley. Goodbye, now." He went past the man toward the lounge.

Other beings were also hurrying in that direction as well. Arcturians, Procyons, Tormheits and Terrans passed them, running. Jason increased his pace, glancing worriedly at Trevor. Trevor put a hand on his shoulder as they strode along, and Jason was thankful for that firm, reassuring grasp. He was feeling very nervous. Trevor looked perfectly cool and unaffected, and Jason could sense no apprehension in his mind. Trevor was a patrolman, after all. He must be accustomed to stuff like this.

They reached the ship, traversed the connecting tunnel, and entered the airlock among a crowd of fantastically clad beings. Some of them scowled at Trevor, but for the most part they were ignored. The pirates had become accustomed to seeing them around, and a few even nodded amiably in their direction.

Blashvor's voice spoke in Jason's mind, making him jump. *Come to my stateroom, Jason. I wish to discuss what is to occur.*

*Yes sir.* Jason sent the reply back.

"He talking to you, Shorty?" Trevor asked, watching him.

"Yes. I'm to go to his stateroom,"

"Not me too, I assume?"

"I don't think so."

"Go on. I'll be waiting in our old quarters."

"Okay." Jason shouldered past the other beings and ran down the corridor toward the Jilectan's cabin.

The door opened as he reached it and Le Frit ushered him through.

Blashvor was seated in a reclining, overstuffed chair, a jeweled goblet resting casually in one hand. He beckoned Jason to approach.

Jason did so and knelt. Blashvor spoke.

"I have just received word from my spies, Jason, that a large freighter loaded with valuable supplies has had engine trouble three hours from here. We shall go investigate. You will assist my men with the raid, but you are to stay out of all danger areas. Is that clearly understood?"

"Yes sir."

"Rise." The Jilectan gestured him to his feet. "You will have to keep all your senses alert, Jason. Perhaps you have guessed by now that my psychic abilities are rather limited. Yes, of course you have deduced that." He smiled faintly. "So I must depend greatly upon my Terran psychics to warn me of impending danger. Fenton is a precog, but you, Jason, are far more talented than he, even in that area. I shall keep you with me at all times. If you sense anything, you are to inform me at once."

"Okay, sir."

Blashvor gestured to Le Frit. "A seat for Jason."

The Procyon brought a small chair -- small, that is, for a Jilectan -- let it clamp to the deck with its magnetic feet, and boosted him into it. The purr of engines rose in pitch, and there was the sudden heaviness of acceleration.

Jason looked at Blashvor. "What kind of ship is it, sir?"

"A freighter, as I mentioned earlier, owned by a fabulously rich trader."

"No, I mean Terran? Procyon?"

"Jilectan."

"Jil...ectan?"

"Yes. Do not fear. There will be very few of my species on board: probably no more than one, possibly two at the most. Jilectans hire mostly lower species, you know, for care of the cargo."

"Oh. But sir --"

"Yes?"

"The Jilectan -- won't he sense us?"

"Not likely, until it is too late to stop us. Few Jils have the power of precognition."

Jason fell silent. The Jilectan gestured to Le Frit. "A coke for Jason, and bring us the chessboard. Do you play chess, Jason?"

"Chess? I thought you'd be drilling me on my powers, sir."

"That would only serve to make you nervous. You must relax. Do you play chess?"

"Oh. Yes, sir."

"We will have a game, then."

"Okay." Jason accepted the coke from the Procyon. "Thanks, Frit."

"You are welcome, Jashon." The chessboard was placed before them, an odd little, antigrav table, the magnetic pieces erect and motionless on the black and white squares. Blashvor began to gather up the red pieces. Jason looked up at him under his lashes.

"Do I have to keep my shields down while we're playing, sir?"

The Jilectan frowned, then burst into a loud laugh. "If I did not know better, Terran psychic. I would suspect you are poking fun at me."

"Me, sir?"

With blurring speed, the alien reached across and gave him a dig in the ribs that sent him squirming to one side with a yelp. "Hey!"

The Jilectan laughed again. "I like a Terran with a sense of humor. Odd though it is, My Little Psychic, you are very pleasant with which to associate; unlike many of your species."

"Thank you, sir. I like you, too, and I sure can't say that about every Jil I've met."

Again Blashvor jabbed for his ribs, but this time Jason was ready, vaulting the arm of the chair and landing lightly on the rug. Blashvor surged to his feet, teeth gleaming in a grin of challenge. "They say Alan Westover outdrew a Jilectan, Terran. Do you think you can match his record?"

"Oh, no, sir!" Jason retreated as the Jilectan advanced, his movements breathtakingly fast. He knew a moment of real fear as the alien loomed over him, and hoped sincerely that this was all a joke, and that the pirate chieftain wasn't really annoyed with him. If Blashvor really got angry, he could smash Jason like a grape.

Blashvor reached for him, catching his wrist and shoving. Jason went with the pressure, at the same time employing a technique his father had taught him, designed to throw a larger adversary off balance.

It worked too well, probably because his adversary was so much larger. Blashvor lost his footing and crashed sideways, almost too fast to break his fall. His chin cracked against the rug and he gave a howl of pain.

"Oh my gosh! Sir!" Jason went to his knees beside the alien. "Are you okay? I'm sorry!"

Blashvor caught Jason's wrist, and, without warning, pulled. Jason sailed across the pirate's form, landed on one shoulder, and rolled to his feet. Blashvor was also up, grinning, and stepped lightly forward. Jason retreated, realizing now that the pirate wasn't really angry. This was the type of game Blashvor liked. He just hadn't expected to find a worthy opponent in Jason.

Jason only hoped the Jilectan would take it easy.

He feinted with his left hand and drove in with his right, trying again to throw Blashvor off balance. The Jilectan didn't fall for it this time, but caught his wrist and threw him down. He tried to wiggle free, but before he could blink the alien had him pinned painfully against the deck. He yipped.

"Do you yield?" the Jilectan asked.

"Yes!" Jason gasped.

Blashvor released him, grinning broadly and dabbing at a trickle of blood on his chin. Jason got to his feet, also grinning a bit ruefully, and rubbing his arm. The Procyon, he saw, had been standing back, watching the conflict, straggly feathers erect. Now he applauded enthusiastically.

Blashvor slapped Jason gently on the back, the blow knocking him forward three steps.

"You are an excellent wrestler for your size, Jason!"

"Thank you, sir! You're pretty good, too."

"I had the advantage, but you gave a good account of yourself. What was that trick you used to overturn me? I have never experienced it before."

"It's a Judo technique, sir. Judo is a Terran word of Japanese origin. It's translated, 'the gentle art'. I'll show it to you, if you like."

"Hyperspace in thirty seconds," the intercom announced suddenly.

"I would. Show me, Terran psychic."

"Uh...okay." Jason started to stand up.

"Hyperspace, shir," the Procyon reminded Blashvor politely.

"What? Oh, yes." Blashvor sat down on the deck, his fine silver clothing somewhat disarrayed by his recent exertion, and pulled Jason down beside him. Blood still trickled down the strong, hairless chin, and he flicked it away impatiently.

"The gentle art," the alien repeated slowly. "You are trained in this 'gentle art', Jason?"

"Yes sir. My dad -- my father taught me. He's very good."

There was a mild jolt as the ship converted to hyperspace. Instantly Blashvor was up again. "Show me, Jason."

Jason held up his wrist. "Come at me like you did, sir. Right. Now, the person attacking expects resistance. He's counting on it. You don't give it to him. Instead you give way and pull. His own momentum throws him off balance. The technique's especially useful if the attacker is larger than you."

"I see. Very simple. I would like to try it. Le Frit, come here. The boy is too small."

Le Frit advanced, his dark eyes widening. "I do not wrestle, My Lord."

"I will not hurt you. Come at me, now. Try to grab me as Jason instructed."

Le Frit hesitantly obeyed. Blashvor employed the technique and the Procyon lunged downward with a startled squawk. The Jilectan caught him by the back of his shirt and lifted him upright again with one hand. Jason applauded politely. "Perfect, sir."

"Of course." Blashvor caught Jason around the waist and tossed him to the chair again. "All right, my little psychic, let as see if you are as good at chess as you are at wrestling,"

Chapter 15

Corporal Trevor relaxed in his apartments, tapping impatiently upon the table beside him. What the devil was holding up Jason? Did His Lordship plan to keep the kid with him for the entire trip? Absently the Corporal picked up a magazine reader and flipped through it. This business was getting kind of old, and yet, he supposed he shouldn't complain. He was alive, and by rights, he shouldn't be.

The door slid open and he glanced abound. "Ah, there you are! What the hell..."

The words froze in his throat. He leaped to his feet, the reader dropping to the deck.

The Jilectan Lady surveyed him with amusement. "Yes, Corporal? You were saying?"

He went to one knee, his eyes fixed firmly on the carpet, heart thumping. He had little doubt as to the Lady's reason for visiting him. Lady Jils had done so before, with only one purpose in mind.

She came toward him with the quick, light step, so characteristic of her species. Her hands closed on his shoulders, bringing him to his feet. "Ah, my Corporal, you are trembling!" The hand slid upward to curve abound his neck. She was about his own height, slightly short for her species, and her eyes were a clear, golden green, her hair the color of honey. She was very beautiful.

"M'Lady," he managed, "please..."

"Shh!" Her fingers caressed the back of his neck. Trevor gulped.

"M'Lady, please, your Lord will kill me. He doesn't like, me much now, and if...."

"If what?" She smiled, displaying a row of pearly white teeth. Her arms drew his face forward, with inexorable strength. "If you make love to me?"

"Yes. Oh, M'Lady, please...!"

Her lips brushed his. "Have, you ever kissed a Lady, Trev? May I call you Trev, as the boy does?"

"Yes, of course." He gulped.

"Have you ever kissed a Lady before, Trev? Yes, of course you have. I see it quite plainly in your mind. Ladies like you. You are a skilled and passionate lover, I have no doubt...." Again her lips brushed his. "Make love to me, Trev. I command you."

Trevor tried feebly to protest, knowing it would do no good. "Lord Blashvor wouldn't like this, M'Lady."

A gentle laugh. "I care little for what M'Lord Blashvor likes or does not like. I am simply one of his many mistresses: something with which he amuses himself when he is bored." She kissed him on the neck. "Come! I am growing impatient with you!"

"Jason could come back any time," he tried.

"The psychic boy will not return until after the raid." She drew back, her gold green eyes glowing a little dangerously. "You find me unattractive, Terran?"

"M'Lady, you're beautiful." Trevor spoke quite truthfully, and cast his fate to the winds. Blashvor might kill him if he complied, but if he didn't the Lady almost certainly would. Ladies had killed reluctant patrolmen in the past, and everyone knew now that it was unwise to refuse when a Lady chose you.

"Check," Jason said.

Blashvor's king retreated a step. Blashvor sat back, watching. Shields up tight, Jason advanced his rook two spaces. Their forces, since Blashvor's last error, were exactly equal. Jason, an excellent player, had struggled for two hours now to keep them that way. Blashvor might not be much as psychics go, but he was a master on the chessboard.

The alien surveyed the board impassively for a moment, then advanced his own rook. Jason pushed an intrepid pawn one step further toward its queenhood. The Jilectan did the same, unperturbed, since he had a bishop guarding the pawn's next square of advance. Jason's own bishop moved in to guard the same square from another angle. Blashvor's pawn moved forward another step. The pirate chieftain was going to get himself a queen soon if Jason didn't do something. Unhappily, he abandoned his own pawn to guard Blashvor's. The pirate chief made a satisfied sound and brought his rook down to menace Jason's king, forcing it to retreat. Blashvor pressed the attack, and Jason retreated a second time.

The intercom spoke. "Normal space in fifteen minutes."

Blashvor said something between his teeth and stood up. "We must go, Jason."

Jason scrambled from the chair and followed him to the door. The Procyon servant opened it for them.

"Leave the chessboard undisturbed, Le Frit," Blashvor commanded.

"Yesh, My Lord."

They went out. All around them people were scurrying, heading for their stations. Jason ran alongside the pirate chieftain, panting a little to keep up. Blashvor entered the lift among a dozen other figures. "Control level," he ordered.

They disembarked moments later, and again Jason ran after Blashvor. They entered a large control room. A Terran clad in a shiny silver union suit drawn tight at the waist, jumped to his feet as they appeared. The rest remained at their stations, hardly seeming to notice the appearance of the Jilectan at all.

The Terran approached and bowed. "Twelve minutes, M'Lord."

"Very well." Blashvor glanced across the room. "Fenton?"

The little man jumped to his feet. "Yes, M'Lord?"

"Any premonitions?"

"Nothing, My Lord."

"Jason?"

Jason considered. "I don't think so, sir."

Blashvor seated himself in the large chair in the center of the control room and relaxed, leaning back. He glanced at Jason. "Sit down, my little psychic, and strap in. Remember my instructions."

"Yes sir." Jason sat down in the empty chair beside Fenton and pulled safety webbing across his lap. The fastening was strange to him, and he fumbled with it. Fenton didn't offer to help, but one of the other pirates, a tall, thin fellow with a scraggly red beard and red, kinky hair tied into a topknot, stopped beside him and took the belt from his hand. "This way, kid." He clicked the webbing into place.

"Thanks." Jason tried to relax, nerves jumping. All was quiet, except for the soft purr of the hyperspace repulsers and the murmur of voices. Jason wondered how Trevor was doing, and whether he was presently linked with him.

Probably not, he decided. He wasn't that scared; just a little jumpy.

The minutes ticked by. A man at the controls leaned toward. "Sublight in forty seconds, sir."

Blashvor pressed a button. "Boarding party preparing, Biggins?"

"We're all ready, sir," a voice responded crisply.

Silence. Then, with a slight jolt, the stars reappeared on the screen.

"Ship to port forty degrees, distance 7500 kilometers," the man at the panel announced.

"Move in."

They moved forward. Their com came to life. "This is the Jilectan trader ship Lady Vilinthvill. Please identify yourselves."

One of the pirates spoke into the com. "This is the Terran Cargo vessel Valerie Ann. Do you need assistance?"

"Negative, cargo ship. We are having gyration trouble. Repairs in progress."

The distance between the ships was closing. Blashvor glanced toward him again. "Keep your shields up tight, Jason."

"Aye aye, sir."

A faint, amused smile. Blashvor turned back to the screen. Faint uneasiness crawled up Jason's spine. He shifted uneasily, glancing at Fenton. The other Terran psychic seemed unaffected. He looked pale and unhappy.

Jason hesitated, then glanced at Blashvor. "Sir?"

"Yes, Jason?"

"I'm not positive, but I think I'm getting a warning."

Fenton turned toward him, his brow furrowing. Blashvor spoke. "Fenton, do you confirm?"

Fenton shook his head. "Nothing, sir."

Jason swallowed. "I'm nervous, sir. It's probably imagination."

The red-haired pirate made an uncomfortable sound in his throat.

The ship was two hundred kilometers away. Blashvor nodded slightly to the weapons officer. The man did something and their computer fired. The shot struck the side of the Jilectan craft. Assorted cheers went up as the other vessel listed to one side.

The com officer spoke again. "Jilectan vessel, we have you in our sights. Any resistance and we shall destroy you."

The Jilectan craft was turning ponderously toward them. The prickle of warning was becoming uncomfortable. Jason unfastened his webbing and jumped to his feet. "Sir!"

"I confirm, m'lord." It was Fenton, speaking reluctantly. "Something's wrong."

"It's a trap!" Jason spun toward the Jilectan.

"Two Jilectan battle cruisers, M'Lord." It was the man at the screens. "They just came out of hyperspace 130 degrees, 1500 kilometers."

"Summon our backup," Blashvor said. "Evasive maneuvers."

"Yes sir. Backup will be here in two minutes."

Jason looked around, surprised. He hadn't realized the Jilectan had brought along reinforcements.

"Nearest cruiser firing, sir." A pause. "Clean miss. He's trying to scare us."

"Take us underneath if you can," Blashvor said. "I guess they're getting a little tired of raids in this section of space and decided to set one up to see if they could catch a few pirates." He grinned savagely.

"Here's our backup," someone else announced.

"Fire at the freighter as we pass," Blashvor said. "Make it good. Jason, sit down and put on your webbing!"

Jason obeyed and hid his eyes in his hands. He supposed it was necessary for someone in Blashvor's position to show that such setups as this were unprofitable, but his heart went out to the passengers aboard the ship.

There was the sound of the ship's blasters again. Jason flinched and didn't uncover his eyes. There was a clang, and a moment later a jolt announced that they had again gone into hyperspace. Jason lowered his hands and lifted his face.

Blashvor was getting to his feet. "Come, Jason! Have the boarding crew stand ready, Frederick."

Fenton also got to his feet, looking questioningly at Blashvor. The Jilectan nodded curtly. Jason tried to stand and discovered that his legs were shaking. The Jilectan paused beside him, glancing at him with concern. "Are you unwell, my little psychic?"

Jason shook his head. "What..." He had to clear his throat. "What did you do?"

"We disabled their ship completely and brought them with us in our hyperspace field. We will be go sublight again in approximately ten minutes." Understanding came over his face. "Ah! You thought I had killed them for their treachery. My little psychic, I never inflict unnecessary suffering on my empaths." He glanced at Fenton, and rested a hand lightly on the young man's head. It makes them --" a faint smile "-- what is known as gun shy. The people aboard the ship were not killed; at least not many of them, I would guess. We shall now go and board their vessel. You will remain with Fenton and me at all times. Understand?"

"Yes sir."

The Jilectan strode from the control room, and the two Terran psychics followed. Jason still felt a bit shaky as they entered the lift and proceeded to the first deck. Perhaps two dozen pirates, all clad in pressure suits, were waiting in the airlock. Three of them came forward to hand other suits to Jason, Fenton and Blashvor. Jason struggled into his, fumbling with the seal. One of the pirates came to his assistance, fastening the suit securely and placing the helmet over his head, clicking the fastenings. The Jilectan and Fenton, already fully clad, were waiting.

With a jolt, the ship emerged from hyperspace. One of the pirates spoke. "Depressurizing."

Jason heard the faint hiss of pressure escaping from the airlock. He waited, jittering, wishing he could see better, and envying the men around him who seemed so cool and collected. He wondered how many people had been killed during the attack, and if they would encounter any bodies.

"Depressurization complete." One of the pirates pressed a control and the lock slid open revealing the armored outer shell of the Jilectan cargo ship. One of the other pirates placed a small device against it and stepped back. The rest of the men also moved back, turning their faces away. Jason moved with them, feeling the Jilectan's firm hand on his shoulder.

There was a bright, soundless explosion, felt in a shiver of the metal beneath Jason's feet, and a ragged hole appeared in the side of the other craft. A whoosh of air emerged to dissipate instantly. The pirates surged forward. Jason started to go with them, then stopped as the Jilectan's big hand tightened on his shoulder. Blashvor's voice spoke in his mind.

*Let my men check it out first, Jason.*

*Yes sir. Sorry.* Jason waited, wishing for Trevor, and knowing Blashvor must be aware of that wish. He didn't care, and he couldn't help it. Trevor was his friend and protector. Patrolman or not, it didn't matter.

The pirates had all vanished through the gaping hole in the other ship. Fenton waited beside Blashvor, eyes on the big alien through the faceplate of his suit. Seconds ticked by.

Then one of the pirates reappeared, motioning them on through.

The artificial gravity on the other ship had apparently been damaged during the attack, for their weight was less than half what it should have been. The area they entered had, of course, sealed itself off when the defect had occurred, but a little maintenance and repair robot was busily at work, repairing the hole. Two bodies, both Procyons clad in glaring red-orange uniforms lay on the deck. Jason felt a pang at the sight of them, but Blashvor hurried the two Terran psychics on past to the doorway. Even as they reached it, the little robot completed its task. There was a hiss of air returning to the compartment.

The pirates were all crowded expectantly around the door, weapons in hand. Blashvor pulled Jason to one side, and his voice again spoke in Jason's mind. *Anything beyond the door, Jason?*

Jason concentrated, wishing for Trevor. "Yes sir, I think so."

"How many?"

Again he concentrated. "Maybe ten or eleven. I'm not sure."

"That is accurate enough. Get Trevor out of your mind, my little psychic. If you continue this foolishness I will not allow him to accompany us on our next venture."

Jason glanced resentfully up at the Jilectan. "Yes sir."

The alien's big hand squeezed his shoulder gently. "You must have faith in yourself, my little psychic."

"Yes sir," Jason replied sulkily.

The door slid aside and the pirates charged through, firing. Jason sensed the distress from beyond the door, and could not restrain a gasp. The Jilectan glanced at him quickly. "Put your shields up tightly, Jason. It will lessen the discomfort."

Jason did, but could still sense the distress and fear without. Fenton stood stolidly on the Jilectan's other side, but Jason could sense the other empath's distress as well, although Fenton made no sound.

At last the fire ceased, and cautiously Jason lowered his shields. Fenton spoke suddenly. "I don't sense any other Jilectans around, M'Lord. Just you."

Blashvor glanced at Jason. "Do you sense any, my little psychic?"

Jason concentrated, then shook his head. "I don't think so."

"That does not, of course, mean there are none on board. There may be a dozen with their shields up, but I doubt it." Blashvor glanced up as one of the pirates reappeared through the door.

"All clear, M'Lord."

"Come." The Jilectan strode through the door, the two Terran psychics at his side. Jason tried not to look at the bodies on the deck as they passed.

They entered the control room of the vessel moments later to find the entire crew face down on the deck, while a circle of pirates stood around them, blasters leveled. Blashvor strode across to the panel, checked the readout, then turned to lift one of the prostrate forms upright. "You are in charge here?" he demanded.

The fellow gibbered with terror. Jason felt it, and had to restrain the words of reassurance which rose to his lips. Blashvor pushed the man against a bulkhead and glanced at Fenton. "Read him."

Fenton did so, placing a hand against the prisoner's face. He concentrated, and began to speak almost at once. "This is Captain Sam Glover, who pilots this ship usually for Lord Torexvor, a wealthy, middle class trader. Torexvor usually accompanies them on their runs, but this time he didn't; apparently he was feelin' sorta sick. Captain Glover knew nothin' o' any setup, and didn't realize what had happened until those battle cruisers showed up."

Glover was staring at him in horror. He shrank back, apparently equally frightened of Fenton and the Jilectan. "A Terran psychic and a Jil..." His voice was a croak. Jason smiled at him reassuringly.

"Please don't be scared. M'Lord won't hurt you."

*Be still, Jason,* Blashvor's voice said in his mind.

Jason shut up. Blashvor spoke to Fenton again. "Cargo?"

"Third deck, sir, mostly perfumes from Riskell, and some furs."

Blashvor grunted. "Come, Jason. Come, Fenton." He inclined his head toward the pirates. "Only kill the crew if they resist."

"Yes sir."

Blashvor and the Terran psychics headed out of the control room, flanked by eight armed pirates. They took the sluggishly moving lift to the third deck, and Jason stepped off ahead of the others, still surrounded by the group of pirates. They reached the hold an instant later, and one of the men reached forward to push the outer door open.

As he touched it a shock of warning coursed through Jason. He gave a yell, which was echoed by Fenton, and the two Terran psychics simultaneously caught the Jilectan's arms pulling him back. The Jilectan reacted instantly, also retreating just as the door hissed open.

The man touching the panel collapsed as though struck full force with a stunbeam. The others staggered away from the door, hands to their ears, and Jason became painfully aware of a high pitched thrumming in his head. It lanced agonizingly through him, seeming to vibrate inside his skull. The Jilectan gave a high pitched scream of pain and staggered back toward the lift. Jason moved with him, hearing his own screams and Fenton's echoing those of Blashvor.

The Jilectan reached the lift first and tried clumsily to open it. He jabbed weakly at the call button twice, then crumpled silently to the deck as the doors opened. Fenton was on his knees, both hands pressed to his ears and screaming thinly. Feebly Jason tried to pull the young man to his feet again. "Help me, Fenton! Help me with Blashvor!"

Fenton tried to get up, then collapsed slowly forward. Frantically Jason bent over the alien, trying to pull him onto the lift without assistance. The big alien was immovable, and he strained uselessly, his brain humming, dizziness and nausea overwhelming him. Then the lift doors were sliding shut in his face. He tried desperately to prevent them, but darkness was encroaching rapidly, and suddenly he was sprawled on the deck, feeling Blashvor's body beneath him. Dimly he heard the sound of the lift doors opening again. Mighty hands lifted him, and suddenly the humming in his head was gone. Jason groaned and opened his eyes.

He was lying on the floor of the lift, and beside him were the forms of Blashvor and Fenton. The Terran was just beginning to stir and moan. The Jilectan lay motionless. Trevor was kneeling beside Jason, hands clasping his shoulders, and beside Blashvor was the Arcturian guard, Puvvir. The door of the lift was closed.

"Shorty! Are you okay? Answer me!"

Jason managed to nod, then wished he hadn't. Fenton groaned and opened his eyes to stare blearily at his rescuers. "Where's Lord Blashvor?" he croaked.

"Right here, kid." Trevor bent over the alien and felt in his neck for a pulse. "I think he'll be okay. Sonic vibrations are hard on Jils."

Fenton sat up, hand to his forehead. "M'lord! Lord Blashvor!"

Blashvor groaned.

Jason made it to a sitting position. "Trev! There's a whole bunch of pirates out there!"

"It's probably too late for them, kid."

"No!" Jason ran his hands frantically across the closed doors.

"Shorty, for cat's sake don't open it!" Trevor was beside him, hands firm on his shoulders. "You can't get near enough to turn the thing off. Those vibrations'll tear you apart!"

Lord Blashvor groaned again and his eyelids flickered, Jason looked frantically at him, then at Trevor. "We've got to do something!"

Fenton was on his feet. "Can you turn it off? How far away is it?"

"It's beyond the hatch door!"

"Damn!" Fenton glanced around. "There's no way to get to it, then! It's gotta be a damn bomb, triggered when Paddy opened the door!"

"I've got to try!" Jason tore off his helmet and reached for Trevor.

"It's too far away, kid," Fenton said. "Quit dreamin'. No telekinetic can reach that far."

"Trev!"

Trevor pulled off the glove of his pressure suit and grasped Jason's hand. The Jilectan was sitting up now, watching them, grimacing still with pain, but Jason hardly noticed. He reached for the control, feeling psychic energy flow freely into him through Trevor's palm where it touched his own.

Telekinetic fingers reached through the wall, and Jason could feel with them the terrible vibrations, but ignored the sensation, straining for their source.

He touched it, feeling the energy which seemed to flow limitlessly through the touch of Trevor's palm to his. Wires. He felt them in his mind, hooked a telekinetic finger behind one and pulled. The first one jerked free, then the second one. The vibrations ceased.

"I'll be damned!" Fenton said. "He did it!"

Jason was fumbling for the control and the door slid open, revealing the forms of eight pirates in various modes of collapse. Jason ran to kneel beside a tattooed, balding figure. "This one's still alive, sir."

"Sso iss ziss one," the Arcturian said from where he knelt beside another sprawled body.

"Not this one," Fenton said.

Jason ran to the body and knelt beside it. "Trev! Help me!"

Trevor arrived beside him. "What do you want?"

"You do the chest compressions. I'll breathe for him."

"Shorty, I think it's too late...oh, all right."

Blashvor emerged from the lift and leaned uncertainly against the bulkhead as Trevor and Jason began their resuscitative measures. He watched expressionlessly. Fenton knelt beside another pirate. "This one's okay, too." He stood up and went toward the Jilectan. "M'lord, are you all right? You'd better sit down."

Blashvor didn't protest, but allowed Fenton to ease him to the deck.

"Call for assistance, Fenton," he croaked hoarsely.

"Yes sir." Fenton spoke briefly into a wrist communicator, then glanced at Jason and Trevor again.

"Is he recovering, Trevor?" the alien inquired expressionlessly.

"Yeah, I think so, sir." Trevor's reply came jerkily through his efforts. Jason puffed a last breath into his lungs and sat back, panting.

"Hold on, Trev."

Trevor obeyed. The man upon whom they had been working coughed weakly. His chest rose and fell.

"He's breathing," Jason said.

"Good work, my little psychic," the Jilectan said, his voice still sounding weak. "How many others?"

"I don't know." Jason tried to get to his feet, discovering that his knees felt very shaky. Trevor grabbed him.

The lift arrived, disgorging a party of men. They hurried forward to take charge of the injured. The one who had tried to open the hatch was also dead, and as Jason touched him, he knew instantly that resuscitation would be futile. He swallowed.

Clearly Trevor knew it, too. He rested a hand on Jason's shoulder. "Easy, kid."

"He's gone, Trev."

"You saved 'em all but him. I'm proud of you."

Soberly Jason watched as the injured and dead were carried away. Blashvor spoke.

"Jason."

"Yes sir?"

"Come here."

Trevor helped him over to the bulkhead, and eased him to the deck beside the Jilectan. Blashvor smiled weakly at him. "You are an exceptional psychic, Jason."

"Thank you, sir."

The alien also glanced at Trevor. Trevor took a step back, his expression becoming wary.

"What are you doing here, Corporal?"

"I called him when the bomb went off, sir," Jason said quickly. "Didn't I Trev?"

"Yeah," Trevor said.

Puvvir approached. "He sshouted zee boy'ss name, my Lord, and came running into ze corridor. Your sservant called for me, and remembering what had happened before, I zought it besst to let him lead. We entered zee sship and Trevor ran sstraight for zee lift wizzout explanations. We boarded, and he pressed ziss level. We found you and zee two Terran pssychicss unconssciouss before zee doorss and pulled you all insside. Zen zee boy deactivated zee bomb from wizzin zee lift.

"That part I witnessed," Blashvor said slowly. He was looking appraisingly at Trevor. "It appears that you have saved my life, Corporal."

Trevor didn't reply. Jason stood up again, looking proudly at Trevor. "Mine, too, Trev. Thank you."

Trevor's hand rested lightly on his head. "My pleasure, kid," he said quietly.

The Jilectan smiled benignly. "This link of yours is really a most interesting and useful phenomenon, Jason. I sincerely wish to know how Westover accomplished it. It seems a pity -- but then, if the Terran Underground did not keep their little secrets, they would surely not survive." Another smile. "Corporal Trevor, assist me." He extended a muscular, six-fingered hand, and Trevor helped him to his feet, still looking a little wary.

"Jason," the Jilectan said, "Let us see what is in the hold. Trevor, you may accompany us."

They went over to the open door and peered within.

The hold was empty.

Jason had never heard Blashvor utter so much as an off color phrase, but now the Jilectan swore loudly and unrestrainedly. Two of his men hurried forward also to peer into the compartment. Fenton arrived behind them, also looking into the hold. He muttered under his breath. "A set up!"

"Looks like it," Trevor said.

Fenton turned to Blashvor, who had ceased swearing. "The captain knew nothing of this M'Lord. He thought the ship was transporting costly perfumes and furs."

The Jilectan turned from the compartment, his face again composed. "The ship, at least, is ours," he said. "We will search it. Come, my psychics. Corporal Trevor, you may accompany us."

"Yes, M'Lord," Trevor said expressionlessly.

They entered the lift again and ascended to the next level. Jason scanned carefully before they disembarked, feeling no shade of warning. They discovered two bodies, both crew members, who had apparently tried to fight the raiders, but no sign of any more booby traps. The pirates had ransacked the crewmembers quarters of everything of value. The rest of the ship was searched as well, and no more devices of any sort were found until they reached the rooms where the Jilectan trader usually resided. Jason and Fenton paused before it, and Jason concentrated, reaching automatically for Trevor's wrist. He saw Blashvor glance sharply toward them, but the big alien said nothing.

Suddenly and clearly the device appeared before him. It was within the room, rigged to activate if the door should be opened without the proper code. Jason concentrated.

"What is it, my little psychic?" Blashvor inquired.

"A device of some sort, sir. It'll go off if we open the door."

"Another sonic contraption?" Fenton asked.

"No, I don't think --" He groped toward it, touched it. A faint sense of uneasiness crawled over him.

Fenton muttered under his breath. The Jilectan leaned closer. "What is it?"

"I'm gettin' a warnin', sir."

"Indeed. Jason?"

Jason nodded. "I'm not sure, but I think this thing's already ticking, sir. It's surrounded by some kind of wall. I can't feel it very well."

"A psychic resistant field, no doubt," Blashvor said. "How much time do we have, Jason?"

"I don't know, sir. The warning's faint right now."

"It's gettin' stronger, though," Fenton said, sounding scared. "We better get outta here."

The Jilectan started to retreat. "Come, Jason."

"I think I can get it, sir," Jason said. "May I try?"

Blashvor hesitated. "Very well," he said at last. "Hurry."

Jason reached for the device, clutching Trevor's wrist. Psychic energy welled up, and he felt his telekinetic energies pierce the field. Fenton muttered softly again, but Jason paid no attention. Invisible fingers hooked behind a wire and pulled. The wire jerked free. The device ceased its soft humming and became silent.

"Got it," Jason said. He took a deep breath and placed a hand on the door. It also was psychic resistant, but gave easily now beneath his mental fingers. The door slid open.

Blashvor stepped up beside him again, motioning to the pirates who had accompanied them. "Search the room."

The men went past them. Blashvor was staring at Jason and Trevor, his handsome face a mask of puzzlement. Trevor started to take a step back, but the Jilectan reached out with blurring speed to catch his arm. "Stop, Corporal."

Trevor froze, and Jason could sense fear from his mind. The realization occurred to him then that he had just demonstrated his deep dependence on Trevor right before Blashvor. Blashvor had been displeased before when Jason had even thought about Trevor. What would the Jilectan do when he now realized that Jason had opened psychic resistant devices, apparently due to his psychological dependence on the ex-patrolman. Would Blashvor decide to get rid of Trevor for once and for all, and thereby end Jason's dependence?

Trevor was considering the possibility, too. Jason felt his thoughts, inter-mixed with another fear which somehow concerned a Jilectan Lady.

The Jilectan placed a hand on the Corporal's face and concentrated. Trevor flinched and his eyes closed. Fenton watched with unconcealed interest, a little smile playing on his lips. Jason waited, all his senses alert. If Blashvor intended to do away with Trevor, he'd have to deal with Jason first.

Then the alien smiled. "Do not be afraid, Corporal Trevor," he said softly. "That is something for which I hold no Terran responsible -- particularly a man with your physical attributes. I shall speak with Lady Lishvill, although I doubt it will do any good." He paused, and then turned to Jason. "It is true, my little psychic. Your powers do increase when your friend is beside you." He turned to Trevor. "Do you know how this can be, Corporal?"

"No, M'Lord," Trevor mumbled. "I feel sort of funny when he's doing something with psychic energy and I'm around, but maybe it's imagination. I don't know. He's done this for quite a while. It seems to help when he touches me."

Blashvor glanced at Fenton. "Did you sense the increase as well, my psychic?"

"Yes, M'Lord," Fenton said. "It was real obvious t'me. I'm good at sensin' psychic energy, an' his ..." He hesitated and then resumed, "Jason's really jumped when he touched Trevor."

"Fascinating." The Jilectan continued to regard them soberly. "Have you any explanation, Jason?"

"I don't know, sir. I've sensed the increase ever since Trev and I escaped from the psychic hunters. Maybe before that, even. I'm not sure. It must have something to do with the link. There's no other possible explanation. Could it be that because Trev's such a strong man, and is linked to me, that he gives me strength that I need for psychic work?"

"Psychic energy has nothing to do with physical strength, Jason," the Jilectan said.

"Well...is it possible I somehow turn his strength into energy?"

Blashvor pondered that a moment, then shook his head, as though far from convinced. "I do not see how that can be, and yet I understand nothing about this link of yours. I should very much like to speak with Westover again. Ah, but there is no profit in wishing for what we cannot have. Perhaps someday we will know more." He spoke to the pirates, who had completed their search of the room. "Nothing? I suspected as much. Let us go."

tbc

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.