The Pirate Prince 1: A Slight Deception -- 5/?
by Nancy Smith and Linda Garrick

Alan Westover sat still, his back against the bulkhead. After his last interrogation they had placed him in a room alone. His hands were still fastened behind him with restrainers, and he felt utterly drained. The soft vibration of the ship's engines reached him through the bulkhead.

He wondered what was going on with Corporal Trevor. Jason was no doubt being interrogated again right now. Had Trevor made the connection between the boy and himself yet? And if he had, what would the corporal do about it?

The waiting was unbearable. If there was only something more he could do! So much depended on Trevor, and 'trols were such darned undependable characters!

Alan glanced at the door. He was under observation at the moment. He had located the snooper device within seconds of being dumped in here. Maybe he could somehow unfasten his restrainers and get out before they could get him. No, the observers were right outside, beyond that other door on the side of the room opposite to where he had entered. He could sense their minds. If he did unfasten his restrainers they would be upon him at once, and the action would label him a trained psychic. Besides, without a power pack it was probably not possible to do anything to the lock. He was so used to being able to handle psychic-proof locks that he had to remind himself that without Mark or Kevin he was just another psychic -- a good one, to be sure, but not extra-ordinary. And even if he did somehow make it out of here before they got him, he'd never be able to hide for long. The ship was too small. No, his only hope was Corporal Trevor — cold, logical, pragmatic Corporal Trevor. Alan knew he must wait and hope the man would make the right decision —- the decision which, if managed correctly, would save them all. One thing at a time.

Someone was approaching, and Alan detected easily the aura of a psychic. A moment later the door slid open and Jason Sweeney was shoved through. He stumbled and fell, landing in a small, miserable heap beside Alan. The patrolman who had brought him went out. The door closed behind him.

So, they would be left alone to talk. Since, they were, observed, Alan knew he must still reveal nothing. He must act out his part, even to Jason. The boy would be furious with him, but later he could be made to understand…

Alan edged over beside the small, crumpled shape. "Hey, are you okay?"

Jason groaned and rolled to his back. "Yeah, I'm okay. His Beautifulness is tired. Wants to eat and sleep. He'll go on with his fun after he's had some rest."

"I'm sorry," Alan said.

"Oh, yeah, sure you are!" Jason struggled to a sitting position, regarding Alan balefully. Alan looked into the small, tear streaked face with a sudden pang of sympathy and guilt. Up until now he'd been too intent on his ultimate purpose to consider what the accomplishment of that purpose was doing to this little boy. But he mustn't waver, Alan told himself firmly. Anything said now, even if they weren't monitored, would certainly come out the next time the Jil questioned the boy. Alan knew he must continue his deception, no matter how unpleasant, for all their sakes. If he didn't succeed, Jason would die with the rest of them.

"I really am," he said. "If I'd known what was going to happen, I’d never have read your mind. It's really my fault. I’m very sorry."

Jason looked disgusted. "I don't have any idea what you're talking about."

"I think you do."

“No I don't! What did you tell that blasted Jil, anyway?"

"I didn't tell him anything," Alan said. "He read my mind."

"He read your mind? Listen, Mister, I've never met you before so maybe you've got me mixed up with someone else, or something. What did he read in your mind that would make him want to do this to me?"

Alan endeavored to look puzzled. "Why, that you're an Undergrounder, of course. I'm sorry, kid, but you had your shields down before the Jil showed up. I know how to scan minds, you see. I taught myself years ago. I guess I shouldn't have done it. It was stupid, but I wasn't thinking clearly. I was hoping there'd be an Undergrounder in the bunch who could help us, and then I picked up your scan." He sighed and put a plaintive note in his voice. "It hasn't been any picnic for me, either, you know. He’s interrogated me, too —- twice. I thought I'd die!"

Jason stared at him, his expression puzzled and angry. "What the blazes are you babbling about? I'm not an Undergrounder!"

Alan shook his head. "Look, there's no use denying it. I read your mind. Now, listen, your shielding must be the best for you to fool his Loveliness for this long. Why don’t you teach me how to shield! Then I might be able to help you."

"I don't know how to shield!" It was almost a scream. "I'm not an Undergrounder!"

Alan sighed. "All right, have it your way."

"You're crazy, mister —- plain and simple crazy! I never even knew I was a psychic until they caught me!"

"Okay," Alan said tiredly. "I don't have the strength to argue anymore."

"Drat you!" The boy made it to his feet, glaring down at Alan. "Stop acting like that! I'm not an Undergrounder! I'm not! I'm not! I'm not! You've made a mistake! Maybe you’re not such a good mindreader as you thought."

“Okay, forget it," Alan said, not looking at him. "Sorry."

Jason gritted his teeth, and Alan could see him trembling with fury. "What are you playing at, anyway?" he demanded. "You like getting kids in trouble or something?"

A presence was approaching. It joined the two watching minds in the other room. Alan ignored it. The boy mustn't detect that he had sensed it, or the Jil would find out for sure. He was an untrained psychic, and all he could do was a little simple telepathy.

The boy played right into his hands. He turned toward the door, his brows puckering. "I think somebody’s coming."

The sensation of being watched abruptly vanished. A moment later the door to the observation room slid open, revealing the tall, muscular form of Corporal Trevor. Quickly Alan extended his probe. Trevor had ordered the cameras turned off before he had entered. The Corporal desired a moment alone with young Jason to discuss a rather painful problem. Alan smiled to himself. The good Corporal had made the connection.

The Corporal crossed the room in two long strides. He had removed his helmet, Alan saw, revealing a haggard, youthful face. He was handsome, in a rough, street kid sort of way. His face was lean, with large, dark eyes and a generous mouth which was, at the moment, drawn into a thin line. Black, thick hair was combed down in an unusual style to cover most of his forehead. We looked angry and dangerous.

He paid no attention to Alan, but came to a stop before Jason. "What the devil are you doing to me?" he demanded. In one swift movement he had grasped the boy by the collar, lifting him lightly from the deck. "Talk, or I’ll beat it out of you!"

Jason stared at him, speechless. Trevor shook him furiously, rattling his teeth. "I said talk, damn you!"

"Well, what do you want me to say?" Jason's reply was surprisingly firm, despite the shakings. "That I'm an Undergrounder? Well, I'm not, and no matter how much you or that stupid Jil hurt me, it doesn't change anything! I'm not an Undergrounder."

"You're very convincing!" the Corporal snapped. "But I happen to know you're lying."

"Oh, really? And who told you? Did you read my mind, too? Or was it that joker sitting over there, looking all worried and upset?" Jason jerked his head at Alan. "Well, that guy's completely loony!"

Trevor didn't glance at Alan. "No body told me anything! They didn’t have to! You did the job all by yourself, Shrimp!"

"What job?" Jason demanded angrily. "What are you talking about? Is everybody on this stupid ship crazy except me?"

"You know damned well what I'm talking about!" Trevor shook the boy again. "Every time they stick you in the chair, I go through it with you. I want to know how you're doing it, and I want it stopped!"

Jason was silent a moment, his expression blank. "What?" he said at last.

“What?" the Corporal mimicked. "You're a great actor, Shrimp, but it won't work with me. I've got your number. I just want to know how you’re doing it, and you're going to tell me!"

Jason shook his head. "You're as crazy as he is."

The Corporal shook him a third time. "Answer me, runt! How are you doing it?"

“How am I doing what?"

"You know damn well what!"

"I do not! I think you're bats, 'trol!"

The Corporal drew a deep breath and spoke through clenched teeth. “Somehow, through some Underground mind trick, you've fixed it so that every time you get interrogated, I feel it, too. I'm going through those bloody interrogations with you."

The boy stared at him a moment longer. "No kidding?" he said at last, sounding rather pleased.

Trevor’s face went beet red. "Talk, twerp! How are you doing it?"

"You’re not kidding, are you?"

"You know I'm not, dammit!"

"You really are feeling it?"

"Yes, dammit! How are you doing it?"

Jason laughed, sounding slightly hysterical. "I don't know, 'trol, and I wouldn't tell you if I did!" He laughed again. "Gee, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy!"

Trevor's flush deepened. "Don't push your luck, twerp!"

Another giggle. "I guess I don't know my own strength!"

Things were getting out of hand. Alan cleared his throat. "Uh, Corporal Trevor --"

"Shut up." The Corporal didn't look at him. He shook Jason again. "You undo what ever you've done, kid, or I'll --"

Jason laughed jerkily. "Undo it, yourself, 'trol — if you can! I'm sure not going to help you out!"

"Corporal Trevor, please!" Alan tried again. "Just listen!"

The patrolman ignored him. He raised a hand and struck Jason across the face snapping his head to one side. Jason yelped and Trevor swore, his hand going to his own cheek.

Jason sagged for a moment, then lifted his head, shaking back tousled hair. Trevor was looking scared now, as well as angry. He dropped the boy and stepped back.

"Corporal," Alan said. "Please, I --"

Trevor turned abruptly and bolted from the room. The door closed. An instant later the sensation of being watched resumed.

For a few moments there was silence. Alan got to his knees and struggled over beside his fellow prisoner. "Are you all right?" he whispered.

"Yeah." Jason nodded. "I think so. Man! What a wallop that guy’s got!"

"He probably wrestles jackboar in his spare time," Alan said.

"He looks like it." Jason shook back his hair and smiled a little. "Say, what’s your name, anyway?"

"David Anderson. You can call me Dave."

"I'm Jason Sweeney." The boy sighed, closing his eyes. "Boy! I'm shot."

"Me too." Alan regarded the boy anxiously. The next time Jason was interrogated, what had occurred between him and the good Corporal would come out. Then the Jil would summon Trevor, and the link would certainly be detected. Alan knew he must take action before then.

He waited. Jason was breathing softly, eyes closed. Let him rest, Alan thought. He'd sure need it before this trip was over.

Alan could sense the minds of the men outside the room. They were bored. Nothing of interest had happened. Neither of the prisoners had revealed a thing. Maybe Rakinxvor had been wrong, after all. Maybe the scientist really was nuts, as they had heard. Rakinxvor was a bit of an eccentric scientist, according to the rumors, and the watchers had no reason to doubt it.

Alan closed his eyes. He had to rest for just a few minutes.

Chapter 9

Alan didn't realize he'd gone to sleep until he jolted awake, aware that a good deal of time had passed. All was still. Nothing had changed, except for the presences behind the door, which had switched to others. The shift change had occurred while he had been asleep.

He twisted around, trying to look at the chronometer on Jason's wrist. It was a child's chronometer, complete with spaceships and heroes firing blasters at villains who looked suspiciously like patrolmen. The heroes were all much smaller than the pseudo-patrolmen, and one of them had dark, curly hair. Beside the curly haired hero was a much larger, blond figure. Alan smiled faintly. Only the stupidest of beings could fail to see who the figures represented.

The time was 0320. That would be Bellian time, of course. Ship's time would be different. In any case, it probably wouldn't be long until the Jil awoke and decided to continue his investigation of Jason and Alan. Something must be done now.

The boy was still asleep, curled up on one side, his small forehead puckered in a slight frown. Alan extended a probe toward his sleeping mind. The child's sleep was light at the moment. It shouldn't take much to awaken him. Dream images touched Alan's probe.

He'd have to be careful. If the boy gave him away, all would be lost. Cautiously he extended the probe further, speaking his telepathic words gently. *Jason, wake up. Please, you must wake up.*

The dreams changed, matching his voice. A woman with light brown hair was speaking gently. *Wake up, Jason. Time for school.*

*Jason,* Alan said in his mind. *Wake up.*

The mind touch changed to consciousness, and with the change came remembrance and despair.

*Jason,* Alan said telepathically.

The boy's head lifted and turned toward him. His mouth opened to speak. *Don't talk!* Alan sent the words as quickly as he could. *I’m speaking through telepathy. Just think what you want to say. I'll hear you. But the guards mustn't know we're doing this. We're being watched, with a hidden videocamera. Don't let on what I'm doing.*

Jason's blue eyes opened wider. *Is that you?* The response was clumsy —- the telepathic words of an untrained psychic, attempting communication for the first time.

*Yes, it's me. I'm going to tell you something. I'll need you to cooperate with me if we're to have any hope of getting out of this alive.*

*You are from the Underground!* The thought was triumphant.

*Yes, I am. Now listen to me. I'm going to try to save us all. To do that, I need your help.*

*Sure!* Hope blossomed in the boy’s mind, to be succeeded instantly by resentment and suspicion. *But why did you tell the Jil I was from the Underground? You got me in awful trouble, you know.*

*I know, and I'm really sorry. There was a good reason for it, which I'll explain now. I had to do it to save us all. There was no choice.*

The boy was very still now, his eyes wide with interest.

Alan continued. *Something has happened to you, Jason, which makes you very special. You're different from the other psychic children. That's why I picked you.*

*Picked me? What do you mean?*

*I know how to link minds together. All Undergrounders know how. Linley, Bronson and Griffen all deserted the Patrol because they were linked to a psychic. They had to do it to save their own lives.*

*What do you mean?*

*When the mind of a non-psychic matches the mind of a psychic closely enough, it's possible to link them together. Undergrounders are taught to recognize such minds and join them. I’ve linked you to Corporal Trevor.*

*Who? Oh him!* The thought was scornful. *He's a creep.*

Alan almost laughed. *Yes, I know, but he's also kind of special. His mind complemented yours closely enough that I could link you. That's why he's feeling it every time you're put in the chair.*

*I don't understand.*

*You will once you join the Underground. It's sort of hard to explain, but just take my word for it, okay? You're linked. You won't even know the link's there, but he will, and every time you're hurt, he'll get it, too. It doesn't work the other way, though. If he's hurt, you won't know it.*

Confusion and doubt. *Who are you? Are you telling me the truth? That's the craziest thing I ever heard.*

Alan considered for a moment whether he should continue to conceal his identity from the boy. It didn't matter, he decided a moment later. All Undergrounders met a like fate if captured alive by the Patrol. Revealing his identity might make his story more believable, in addition to firing the romantic imagination of a youngster.

*I'm Alan Westover.*

Jason's jaw dropped. *You can't be! I know what Westover looks like! I've got his wanted poster in my room ...." He paused, eyeing Alan covertly. *Gee whiz ... I guess you are!* Delight and awe. *Gosh, I’m sorry! I didn't recognize you. Your nose is different —- and your hair, too."

*Makeup,* Alan told him simply.

*Oh. But my gosh, what are you doing here?* Sudden fear emanated from the boy's mind. *Oh no! If that Jil reads me again, he's going to realize who you are, and what's going on!*

*My partner, Mark Linley, and I were trying to find out who was kidnapping Bellian kids. I heard a psychic child screaming and ran to help and got caught,* Alan told him, a little touched at the boy’s concern. Jason was smart, that was for sure. *Take it easy, I think I've figured a way out for us. Do you believe, me now?*

*Yes, of course!* The reply was frankly hero worshiping, and Jason's eyes were shining. Alan looked away, a little embarrassed. *Careful, Jason. Don't do anything to draw attention to me.*

*Oh.* Jason averted his eyes quickly. *Gee, sorry.*

*It’s okay. Now listen, I know how these links work. Remember I told you that it was because of them that Linley and Bronson and Griffen changed sides?*

*Yes. You mean, they were linked to you? All three of them?*

*Yes.* Alan had his selective shielding up tight as he made his reply. It was only a partial truth, of course. Alan had had nothing conscious to do with the links with Bronson and Linley, and he wasn't linked with Griffen at all. But if the plan went awry, and the Jil learned of this through Jason, at least the information learned would be incorrect and might send the Jil off on the wrong track. It was the best he could do.

*You mean, they defected to save their own skins, and you're hoping Corporal Trevor'll do the same thing to save his?*

The boy was a step ahead of him, Alan thought. *That's right. Anything that happens to you now, will also happen to him. If you die, he dies with you.*

*Wow!*

*He doesn't know what's going on yet, but he does know something awfully strange has happened, and he’s good and scared. You've got to tell him what I've told you.*

*Me?*

*You're the only one who might be able to get alone with him. I sure can't. Tell him about the link and what I've done, and be sure to stress that if you die, he goes with you. Also, tell him that once the link is made, it can't be undone.*

*What about the Jil? Are you sure he can't do it? Trevor might just go to him, you know.*

*He might,* Alan agreed. *lt's a risk, but I don't see any other way we're going to have a chance, to survive. The Jil can't undo the link. Nobody can, not even me. Once it's done, the link's there for life. Stress to the Corporal that his safety depends on yours. You're an empath. You should be able to make him believe you.*

*Well gee, I’ll try. Gosh, sir, I don't know how you did it, but this is great!* The boy's mental voice was gleeful. *Trevor will have to help us! It's the only way he can save his own life!*

*Well, let's hope he thinks the same way. But listen, one more thing. Don't tell him who I am. If you do, he's bound to see credit signs and forget all about the link until it’s too late.*

*Oh, sure. I won't mention you at all. I'll tell him I'm the Undergrounder. That won’t hurt anything. He already thinks I am.* Jason grinned faintly. *This'll be fun, scaring the big creep!*

*Make it good,* Alan told him. *If you can convince him, tell him that the only way to save himself and you is to take the Jil prisoner. Once he does that, come let me go. I'll handle it after that.*

*What'll you do?*

*Never mind. I have it figured out. Once Trevor has the Jil hostage, we're okay.*

Apprehension. *Gosh, sir ... a Jil. He’s awfully scary.*

*I've killed Jils, remember? They die just as easily as Terrans do.*

*I know, but Trevor's a 'trol. He's been a servant of the Jils for a long time. I hope he can do it.*

Alan hoped so, too, but he tried to convey confidence to the boy. *There was a first time for me, too, and remember what Subcommander Bronson did? He kidnapped the Viceroy to save me. Remind Trevor of that.*

*Okay.* Jason still sounded dubious. *How do I get alone with him?*

Alan considered. Was Jason's link with the Corporal conscious now? Probably not. Jason wasn't scared now. Alan had to frighten him in order for the cry for help to have its desired effect, and that meant lying to the boy again. Oh well, he'd already told several untruths. One more wouldn't make a whole lot of difference.

*Jason!* he thought. *They're coming for you again!*

*What?* The boy's sudden jolt of tension was almost painful.

*Call Corporal Trevor quick! He'll hear anything you say. Call him for help in your mind, as loud as you can! Hurry!*

*Corporal Trevor!* The boy's mental cry, magnified by fear, made Alan grimace. It would be a wonder if the Jil didn't hear it. Oh, well, with all those other scared little psychics on board, maybe he wouldn't notice.

*Corporal Trevor, help me! Help! Help!"

tbc

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.