The Crystal Demon: 30/?
by Nancy Smith and Linda Garrick

XXXIV

"Sublight," the pilot's voice announced.

With a jolt, the ship converted to normal space and the stars reappeared on the viewdome overhead. A planetary body swam onto the screen, and Alan identified it as one of Kasal's moons. The surface was very near, pitted and scarred by meteoric activity.

"The area's clear," Marti Wilkens' voice continued. "No ships within range."

"Did our fighters show up yet?" Mark asked.

"Yessir, Major. They've taken up positions next to the moons where they can surprise anyone coming to investigate us."

"Good." Linley settled back in his seat. "Gotcher feelers out, kids?"

"Yes," Alan and Miki chorused.

A thin whine began as the transport entered the outer fringes of the atmosphere. They were coming in on the opposite side of Kasal from the Patrol base, and would complete the journey to the inhabited part of the main continent barely above treetop level, to avoid being detected. Alan held his breath, waiting for the warning tingle of precognition, but it didn't come. The Patrol apparently hadn't expected them to return so soon to the scene of the crime. Fifteen minutes later, the big ship settled lightly as a feather into a large, open field. The sound of the engines died.

Alan unfastened his safety webbing and went to a control panel on one bulkhead. It had come on, showing the landscape around them. He called up a map of the area that showed their landing point in relation to the topography and beckoned to Miki. The Shirva trotted obediently over to him.

"We have to contact your people as fast as we can," Alan said. "That's mostly your job. How quickly can you do it?"

Miki shrugged. "There's lotsa telepaths among my people," he said. "I can get the word to 'em pretty quick." He touched the display, frowning. "What th'hell's this?"

"It's a map -- a picture of the land around us. We're in the general area where you first encountered us." Alan indicated their landing spot on the display. "We're here. This is the Patrol base," he continued, "and this is a big lake that the little streams are all feeding into. Can you tell us where the Shirva villages are from this?"

Miki frowned. "Yeah, I think I got it." He studied the display for some minutes, and Alan could see his lips moving silently. Finally, he reached out to touch briefly five separate spots on the map.

"Great," Alan said. The nearest village was less than twenty kilometers away, the farthest about a hundred. "Will there be landing spots for the aircar?"

"Sure." Again the Shirva shrugged. "Might hafta walk a little way, but not too far."

"Good. Let's get crackin'." Mark headed for the hangars.

It had been decided earlier that they would make two parties, with Alan accompanying Jeel and Mark going with Miki. That way, contact could be made quickly, with little risk. Lyn was instructed to remain with the ship along with the two pilots.

Lyn didn't like it. "I want to go with you," she protested again, as they stopped beside the aircars.

Mark shook his head. "We need you here, honey. There has to be a psychic with each group. It's the only safe way."

"But --"

Alan smiled at her. "Please, Lyn, we need you here. We won't be long. We need you to talk to any Shirva that we send along, if they get here before we do."

It worked. Lyn subsided, still looking a bit sulky. Mark winked at her.

"Easy, honey, it's gotta be done."

"I know. I just don't like it."

Alan knew how she felt. "We'll be back as fast as we can," he assured her.

She didn't answer. Feeling unhappy, Alan climbed behind the controls of the aircar. Jeel jumped nimbly in beside him.

Jeel seated himself beside Alan in the Terran aircar. The last twelve hours had been a nightmare to him, although no one else, not even Miki, was aware of the fact. Back on the Underground's secret base, he had entered the laboratory to find Alan and Mark fighting the globe creature. The thing had been desperate, sure of its destruction. Jeel seemed to sense the emotions the instant he looked at it, and remembered suddenly that he had touched it with his bare hands back on Kasal. And then, like a vicious beast, the thing leaped out at him, seizing his will in an irresistible grasp. He gave a faint yelp as it closed over him, but no one noticed. One of the guards covered the globe, and the rest of the people in the room were hovering around Alan. Jeel had tried then to open his mouth, to call for help, to tell them what had happened, but when he tried, the thing's iron will closed tighter, forbidding him. He struggled against it uselessly. Pain ran through him until he wanted to scream, but the thing would not even let him do that. At last, exhausted, he had ceased to struggle, and as he did so, the pain subsided.

There was no way to fight the globe beast, no way to escape, and no way to summon help. Now, too late, he understood Miki's anger and his warnings. Miki had understood the danger and Jeel, in his ignorance and stupidity, had chosen to ignore him. Bitterly and hopelessly, he cursed himself.

Perhaps Miki would sense there was trouble, though. The globe creature was commanding him to keep his shielding up tight, but his shielding was poor, and he and Miki were unconsciously linked.

But Miki had not guessed. His partner seemed to notice nothing and the beast within him kept its iron control, commanding Jeel to act normally. He did so, knowing now the painful futility of resistance and terrified of the creature that held him enslaved. Its power seemed complete and Jeel knew well that it could kill him easily if it so chose. Right now, however, it needed him alive and sane, and as long as that need remained, he would survive, his mind controlled but intact.

And now, alone in the aircar with Alan, Jeel received a new command. He tried for a moment to resist, then, as the pain began, gave way. He would do as the creature ordered, as long as it did not involve the death of his friends. Back on the Underground's base, the creature had ordered him to kill the Terran doctor when he had stolen the globe, but Jeel had somehow found the power to resist. The pain had been unbearable, but still he had refused, so at last the globe beast had compromised, forcing him to stun the man instead.

Jeel stared out the window at the misty rain, feeling the command within him and knowing that he must obey. Alan's voice broke the silence and Jeel jumped. He had forgotten the Terran Rassa's presence.

"Are you okay, Jeel?"

Alan was looking at him, his expression odd. Did he suspect? Jeel's heart leaped with new hope. Alan was a very powerful Rassa, more powerful even than Miki. He had heard his partner say so. Suspect, Alan, please, please suspect ...

A command from the globe beast, and Jeel heard his own voice replying unconcernedly. "Sure." His lips stretched involuntarily, forming a smile.

Alan was silent and Jeel sensed fear from the Bovva Ra. The creature was very afraid of Alan. It wanted Jeel to destroy him.

"You're very quiet," the Terran said.

Jeel turned toward the window, and his lips opened at the creature's command. "I'm going to miss my home, Alan."

Silence. Jeel knew the Terran Rassa was still watching him, and the globe beast knew it, too. The command in his brain crystallized, and again he heard his voice speaking. "This is where we land."

"Here?" Alan stared in consternation at the soggy clearing below. "We're still about eight kilometers from the village."

Another command, and helplessly, Jeel obeyed. "Is the closest we can get. I's sorry."

Alan sighed and did something to the controls. The aircar circled downwards and landed softly in the clearing.

A command from the creature, and Jeel was opening the door, climbing quickly out. The globe was a hated weight within the pouch beneath the cloak he wore. The creature was eager now. Its goal was within sight, not far to go. But first, the dangerous Terran must be disposed of ...

*No!* Jeel voiced the word silently to the thing, knowing the results of defiance. The pain came in an angry, blinding wave. Jeel tried to scream and couldn't.

*Kill him!* the beast commanded.

Jeel's hand moved involuntarily toward the blaster concealed beneath his cloak. He forced it to stop, steeling himself against the pain that must follow. It came, leaving him half-blind and quivering.

"Jeel?" Alan was climbing from the aircar. "Are you okay?"

The pain ceased, and again Jeel sensed fear in the creature. Alan was too powerful, and the chances of his catching on were too great. Another command, and Jeel heard himself reply. "Yes, sure, dammit. Let's go."

Alan said something else, but Jeel didn't hear. The creature turned him and started him swiftly off through the underbrush. Behind him, he could hear Alan struggling to catch up.

"Hey, Jeel!"

The creature continued the command and Jeel increased his pace. Alan shouted again, and abruptly, Jeel's foot swerved sideways as though struck by an unseen obstacle. He tripped and sprawled forward, started to rise at the creature's command, and then felt Alan's hands close like a vise around his wrists.

"Jeel! What's wrong with you?"

Fear and desperation radiating from the creature. Alan's eyes looked straight into Jeel's, but the creature issued a command, forcing him to turn his face aside. Jeel heard his own voice, a shameful, plaintive whisper, designed to bring sympathy from Alan. "Please let go. You hurt me!"

But Alan did not. Jeel felt again that wild hope as the Terran psychic moved strongly and purposefully, bringing Jeel's hands together and holding them in one mighty fist. Alan's other hand gripped Jeel's chin, bringing his face up and forcing their eyes to connect.

Anger from the globe beast, as well as stark terror. Against his shields, he felt the force of Alan's probe, beginning to part them. The creature exerted pain, trying to force Jeel to tighten his shields, but it was useless.

Anger from the Bovva Ra. Pain bursting in Jeel's skull. Alan cried out in surprise and horror. The creature issued a desperate command and Jeel twisted suddenly, breaking free. His hand moved, diving beneath his cloak and grasping the blaster.

Alan straightened up, full comprehension on his face. The globe beast's will concentrated now on Jeel's index finger, which was pressed against the trigger of the weapon. Pain within him, increasing every second as he fought the thing's command with all his remaining strength. The beast's control departed from every other part of him and Jeel found himself able to speak and his shields to relax. Alan's mind seemed to touch his and the Rassa spoke softly and hypnotically.

"Fight it, Jeel. You can do it."

"I can't!" It was a breathless whisper. "It wants me to kill you."

"I know. Fight it." Alan's tone was soft and compelling, somehow driving back the creature's iron command, lessening the pain. Panic from the globe beast; desperation.

"Run, Alan!" Jeel gasped. "I can't hold out, dammit!"

"Give me the blaster," Alan said. "Jeel, give it to me."

*Kill him!* The command vibrated through Jeel in waves of agony. *Kill him! Kill him!*

"I won't!" Jeel shouted his defiance aloud. "You can't make me!"

All at once, the creature seemed to realize the futility of what it was attempting to do. The command changed abruptly. *Then stun him, slave! Now!*

The promise of release from pain was too much for Jeel to resist. His finger moved on the setting. Alan saw it and started forward, too late. Jeel pressed the trigger and the Terran Rassa crumpled to the ground at his feet.

XXXV

Mark settled the aircar into the clearing indicated by his companion. He checked his location on the map with a feeling of satisfaction. Not bad. They would be at the Shirva village in perhaps thirty minutes. Damn the rain, anyhow!

Miki grinned widely at him. "It ain't all that bad."

Linley scowled at him. He'd noticed during his acquaintance with the Shirva psychic that Miki had no compunction about reading his mind through his shields. In fact, he frequently did it without meaning to.

"Sorry," Miki said. "It's just that your mind's awful easy to read." He cocked his head suddenly. "Hey, listen!"

Mark froze. The Shirva stood still, and his whole attitude expressed listening. Mark listened to, but he could hear nothing.

Then, without warning, the bushes parted and half a dozen small, humanoid figures emerged.

Linley remained still and so did the Shirva, their large, wide-set eyes fixed on him. Mark was acutely aware of more of the little aliens appearing from the underbrush on both sides and knew that there were undoubtedly others that he could not see. The scene remained static for the slow count of ten. Dozens of eyes were fixed on him and Mark didn't need psychic ability to sense the hatred around him. In spite of his neat Confederation uniform, he still looked like a patrolman to the Shirva.

Miki spoke, his voice clear and perfectly calm. "Se turra," he trilled. "Min tov turra. Lan verra tur ta.'"

The Shirva remained silent, listening. They all held weapons, Mark saw -- some the Shirva native weapons, some genuine Patrol blasters. The instruments were all pointed generally in his direction. He swallowed and forced himself to remain still and silent.

Miki continued to speak, giving Mark a comradely slap on the leg. Then he paused, grinned and embraced Mark's knees. Linley glanced down at him and very slowly bent to place a hand on Miki's head. Miki looked up at him, released his legs and leaped lightly upward, catching him around the neck. Mark caught him, bracing one arm beneath him as if he were holding a two-year-old child.

There was a long, nervous pause. Then, almost of one accord, the Shirva's weapons vanished. They ran forward, chattering and laughing. Instantly his legs were embraced by two more of the little people.

Miki squirmed free and dropped to the ground, beaming. "They say you are very welcome, Mark. They've been waitin' for us. The news about the friendly Terrans that was gonna help us has reached 'em. They're real glad to see you."

Mark gave the Shirva his best smile. "The feelin's mutual. Tell 'em they gotta get all their people assembled. We'll head for the colony transport as soon as they do, an' maybe they can send out messengers to the other villages, soon as they know where to meet."

Miki nodded and spoke rapidly to the other natives. There were lots of them, Linley saw now -- at least fifty in the reception party.

The Shirva were beckoning him to follow them, and he obeyed. They led him through dense underbrush, several natives going ahead of him and parting the shrubbery for him as though he were a king. There were natives all around him, and he knew there were probably many more in the trees above, although he heard no sound. The chilly rain pattered softly around him, soaking his hair and running in small streams off the water-repellant covering he wore. The familiar scent of the Kasal forest rose around him: wet greenery, mixed with mint and pine, and very faintly, as if it were some distance away, the scent of Lemke.

They had traveled for perhaps twenty minutes when the natives stopped. One of his companions, a small, slender native with black, wiry hair, gestured upward and spoke unintelligibly. Miki translated.

"We have reached the village. Jerro -- he's the leader here -- says if you like we can getcha outta the rain 'til his people get here. It'll take maybe an hour or so."

Jerro was watching him covertly. He looked exactly like a six-year-old who wasn't sure if he were going to get a spanking or not, Mark thought, and yet he was no doubt older than Mark, himself. What peculiar people! The most lovable bunch of peculiar people he'd ever met.

Well, might as well accept their hospitality, he decided. No sense in being miserable unnecessarily. "Sure. Thanks. Where do I go?"

"Up here." Miki leaped, vanishing into the tree overhead. Mark hoisted himself up after his companion. Shirva swarmed past him on all sides, their tiny hands steadying him. He was half-carried up the tree, feeling clumsy and big, like a great ape amid a swarm of spider monkeys. In less than a minute he reached a small platform, fitted neatly with a roof that was constructed of tightly woven vines and leaves. The wind was cut by the tree and Mark found himself seated on a thick, soft pile of furs. A Shirva female appeared, and Jerro spoke, obviously issuing orders. She must be his wife, Mark thought, or girlfriend, mistress, or even his daughter. He hadn't asked, but he remembered that Miki had spoken of his mother and father. It was clearly a patriarchal society, and it was also quite possible that the Shirva took multiple wives, much as the Jils did. Very few species, he knew, actually formed the type of families that Terrans did, with two partners teaming up exclusively for life.

The female set the inevitable bowl of food before him. The stuff, as usual, was terrific. It tasted a little like bean soup -- hot, spicy and flavorful. He finished it rapidly and then dug into his pack to produce a Terran apple, brought along for the occasion. Miki, standing beside him, grinned widely as the female took the fruit, examined it with interest, then handed it to her husband. Miki said something, and Mark caught the word "Tchi". Jerro listened intently, sniffed the fruit, and took a cautious bite.

There was silence as he chewed. Shirva watched from the trees around, and the tension was almost electric. Jerro took another, more enthusiastic bite, chewed daintily and swallowed. He grinned approvingly. "Essp por tan! Va!"

It was a signal. The others crowded forward, chattering shrilly. Mare produced several more apples from his pack, cut them into slices with his bush knife and distributed them as well as he could. The Shirva stuffed them down and surrounded him, timidly holding out their hands for more.

"Easy, kids!" Mark laughed. "There's lots more where these came from!"

Miki translated with obvious pleasure. Jerro watched the proceedings with a strange calm. Mark beckoned him forward and spoke to Miki. "Have you explained what we're gonna hafta do?" he asked.

Miki plopped down beside him. "Yes, Mark, you bet."

"And do they agree?"

The Shirva shrugged. "There ain't much else they can do, is there?"

"Not really," Mark said unhappily.

Miki patted him on the knee. "Jerro is very grateful, Mark," he said in Alan's voice. "He says to thank you very much." His voice fell. "We all thank you very much."

Mark gave him a good natured shove. "Don't worry, kid. You're gonna pay us back -- in triplicate, probably. Kaley never does nothin' for free."

Miki rolled easily to a sitting position, bounced to his feet and aimed a punch at him. "Kaley's nice," he said. "I like him."

"Oh yeah -- he's a good guy -- helluva good officer. He never misses a chance to get more people on our side."

It was then that he felt the first jolt of alarm from Alan's mind. Their link closed with shocking suddenness and he heard his partner speaking. He was addressing Jeel, and the words made little sense, but it was obvious that his partner was scared. Faintly in the background, he heard Jeel's reply, and although the words were indistinguishable, he could hear the distress in the tone of voice.

Miki's hands closed on his arm. "Mark, what th'hell's wrong?"

"It's Alan! He's linkin' with me! Somethin's wrong with Jeel. He's got a blaster on m'partner!"

"Jeel!" Miki sounded indignant. "No!"

"He sure as hell is! Alan's tellin' him to put it down; I heard him! Ah!"

"What? What is?"

"Jeel stunned him! Now what th--"

Miki was on his feet, and if Mark was any judge, he was horrified. "I *knew* somethin' was wrong, dammit! Jeel's the one! He's got the damn globe!" The Shirva poised on the edge of the platform, obviously intending to depart at once. Mark grabbed him by the back of his tunic.

"Hey, wait a minute! I gotta go, too!"

Miki paused, one hand on the nearest tree limb. "I'm faster'n you."

"But dammit, Mik, you don't know where he is!"

"Neither do you, now that he's out!"

"I know the direction. I felt it when he linked with me, an' Jeel can't move him. As long as he says unconscious, he'll stay where he is."

Miki considered, and then nodded. "C'mon!"

Mark started after him, then paused, glancing back at the assembled Shirva. Miki followed his glance and swore volubly. He spoke rapidly to Jerro, then again to Mark. "I telled them where the ship is, an' to head for it. Jerro says they will find it. He understands what has happened."

"Great! Let's go!"

They scrambled down the tree, Mark falling the last two meters. As he landed, tiny hands broke his fall and steadied him. He straightened up, absently rubbing the head of one of the Shirva. "Thanks, kid. Sorry t'leave in such a hurry."

Miki jabbered something to the two watching natives and ran into the trees. Mark ran after him.

tbc

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.