Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
Hi again! It's been a while since I posted. I've started writing a story and I have some specific questions about it. (BTW, my mom thinks it's great, but I'm not sure I trust her!) (Just kidding, Mom!) help

Where can this be improved? Can you follow what was happening? Do you think there is anything that needs to be enhanced upon, either the actions or the descriptions? What about the dialogue? Does it flow? huh

Please don't worry about spelling or grammar - Mom is helping me with that.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Phoenix Rising

If I can't be a good example, I'll just have to settle for being a horrible warning. ::Shifty Eyes::
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Just quickly popping in, Phoenix, to let you know that I've edited the story post to reduce the length of some of the scene breaks. They were what was making the text very wide on the screen. Hopefully it's formatted a little easier on the eyes now. smile

Don't have time to read and comment on this now, but it looks very intriguing and I'm hoping to catch up tomorrow. I'll comment properly then. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Columnist
Columnist
I helped Kathleen post her story, Labrat, and didn't notice the format problem. Sorry about that.

Kathleen, aka Phoenix Rising - and isn't that a mouthful when I call you to dinner? - you know, I love your story.

I'm so proud of you. I think you're an awesome writer. When I compare what you're writing now, to what I wrote when I was fourteen....

Well, let's just say, there's no comparison.

Oh, and btw, Kathleen assures me that Raven's mom is NOT based on me!

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
No need to apologise, Irene - it's just one of those things that happens now and then. If the text contains too many of a particular symbol on one line (exclamation marks, asterisks, whatever) it widens the post so that the text disappears off the right-hand edge of the screen. Probably something to do with the board settings, but it seems endemic to most mbs I've frequented. It only takes a moment to fix, so it's no huge problem. smile

As for the story itself - an intriguing start to a very polished and accomplished piece of work, Phoenix. It's a complex start, but it was easy enough to follow, so I didn't have any problems keeping up, and I enjoyed the richly layered and textured prose. Very atmospheric.

I thought the dialogue was very natural sounding to the ear and your characters are well-rounded and easy to believe in.

Looking forward to more. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Kathleen, this is amazing! I don't normally read fantasy, but I was curious to see what you could do with a longer story, and I wasn't disappointed. smile

You have a great talent for creating atmosphere. That beginning, with the shadow, is spooky, and you recreated that atmosphere every time you returned to Raven's dream. The dialogue is great; I can just imagine Raven with her younger brother. wink The scene breaks enhance the sense of tension in the story, too.

And - grammar and spelling aside - you have a great skill for language use, for description and for creating a vivid scene. Even your grammar and spelling are hugely improved from the last piece of yours I read - whether that's your mom's help or you working harder, I don't know, but it does make this easier to read. wink So keep working at it!

More!!

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*
Freelance Reporter
OP Offline
Freelance Reporter
laugh Hi-o! Boss Lady (AKA my mom) says that you two of the best on the net, as far as stories go! goofy Think I'll be compitition? thumbsup Wendy, I am working harder on my spelling shock , but Boss Lady helped too. Thanks for the comments! I'm planning out the next segment as I type! Bye!

If I can't be a good example, I'll just have to settle for being a horrible warning. ::Shifty Eyes::
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Think I'll be compitition?
LOL! Don't think there's much doubt there, Phoenix. goofy )

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I must admit that reading such things in English tires me a little and I had a little trouble following it, but I liked it.

I also hope you'll write an L&C fic some time.

Post more soon.
AnnaBtG.

What we've got here is failure to communicate...

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard